“DARKHORSE OF CHICAGO”

Ranked #7 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Gatwick
“DARKHORSE OF CHICAGO”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I can only think that this reviewer visited on an extremely Off Day. We've been there three times and are going back in February. Yes, we're over 40, yes, it was the first time that my husband had visited Jamaica (but not me), and we both loved it! If you want a "typical" all inclusive, this is NOT for you, and it obviously wasn't for Darkhorse. This is small, intimate, friendly and so laid back... The staff are wonderful, and if you're nice to them you'll be rewarded by them bothering to remember your names and ensuring that you have everything that you need. The only problem that we've had in the three years we've visited was a collapsing shower rail, which was fixed within half an hour.

All I can say is that I'm glad that we don't have to share a resort with this reviewer!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road and from the pool bar
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank LynBGatwick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We usually stay at private villas and I traditionally haven't been a big fan of all-inclusive resorts, but Sunset was very nice. We didn't even miss the sea view because the grounds were so beautiful. The feeling of being in a tree house in the jungle was incredibly nice. The food was better than average for buffet food and the variety was nice. The staff members were always friendly and helpful. The only drawback was that our first room (608) was too close to the road and I found the road noise a bit distracting as I was trying to enjoy the peace and quite of the balcony. The staff was more than happy to move us to another room when one became available (403), which was much quieter. In addition, the bed in this room was more comfortable, it was brighter, and the bathroom appeared to have been updated. It was a much nicer room. We also got an incredibly good deal, price-wise, especially given the time of year (near the Christmas holiday). Overall, I would recommend it! Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Away from the road.
3 Thank Dr D
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We returned home from SATP on the 6th december after enjoying two amazing weeks there. I have never put a review on trip advisor but after reading the bad review left by a very sad person running down this great resort I felt I had to confirm and add to the other 99 percent of good reviews this hotel has received.
If you like low key, classy accomadation set in the most tropical grounds you will love SATP.
The tree-house style rooms are basic but lovely, double shower with jets. All come with a outside veranda with a great little daybed to lay and read until dark.
The restaurants both buffet and al a carte were always great for us and we are both vegetarian. There is also always lunch served both at the main restaurant and the beach food bar. Opal at beach food bar is a little star and always served up something delish.
The beach is absolutely wonderful lots and lots of "SAND", and sea clear and warm. We walked along the beach from one end to the next each day and were not bothered by any vendors at all.
The coffee bar is a real treat with fresh ground coffee, making some of the best cappuccinos.
One of the best points to this hotel would be the staff, we have never met so many friendly, lovely and helpful staff on our travels. On the downside the entertainment is a bit hit and miss but we were not interested in that as we met lots of people to chat and while away the evenings, drinking cosmopolitans made by Clive.
I can see that if people like glitzy "five" star high rise concrete hotels they might not like this little Jamaican gem.

• Stayed November 2012
4 Thank Telba
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Let me first start by saying this review is for those you are <40 and have never been to Jamaica before. This place is not for you. You can read further for the details if you wish but there are much better accomodations elsewhere and this place is far from an all-inclusive first time in Jamaica experience. I stayed 1night and left to Riu Tropical Palace which is awesome
!

Facility: SATP (Sunset at the Palms). We booked an airport transfer via "bookit' and we took the shuttle from Montego Bay airport to SATP. Firstly, when he told the driver that we were going to SATP, he did a double take. I didn't get it at first, I was hoping that he thought it was a great choice for a couple that hadn't been to Jamaica before but boy do I now understand. So while on the shuttle ride we passed by numerous nice looking hotels on the way in and when we got to ours my heart sank. I really didn't want to get off the shuttle but I thought I have to give it a chance. We stayed in treetop deluxe. Anyway, we get to the room and we are immediately hit by a moldy/mildew-like smell and I'm trying to look on the bright side of things said maybe it will get better once we open the windows. The room is a overpriced cabin. Wood floors, bugs everywhere flying (flying cockroaches) As soon as we open the windows, I see a swarm of gnats everywhere. We turn on the so-called "air-conditioner" which is a vintage cylindrical fan that does not blow any cool air. Bathrooms are ok but the shower barely works and sprays everywhere. The room is extremely dark and you can't see anything. The grounds are extremely dark as well. The only reason we could find the room was that someone had left two half coconuts in front of our room and we left them there for as a "landmark" to get back. We were given a lock and key to use for our "safe" which I didn't bother to use b/c the safe looked old and broken down. The one and only night we stayed we barely could sleep because of crickets and loud music coming from outside. Oh yeah, I was told they had Wi-fi but there is no Wi-fi in the room, it is only available small area near the desk. Extremely incovenient. Phones are horrible. You can't place any calls without an operator.

Food: We were told this place was all inclusive. Once we arrived they told us that there was no lunch on the grounds. They said we had to walk across the street to the beach to get lunch. So.. We walk across the busy street or rather escorted across the street to the beach. We go to bar area and ask where the lunch would be and they point to this dingy corner where on there was a female cook on duty. She immediately told us we are "out of fish and chicken". I was like huh? I only eat fish and I asked to have a tuna melt and it was so so horrible. I wouldn't feed that tuna to a stray cat. Ya hear me? Horrible. This is an all-inclusive and I did a quick scan to see if there were tons of ppl there and it was probably only 10 ppl in this area they called the beach. I saw water but no (maybe very little)sand. So, I try to brush off lunch as maybe the weak point of this place and we look fwd to dinner. We get to dinner and it was buffet-style. Dinner was fair. They had the hardest pecan pie I've ever seen in MY LIFE. There was no pie to it. We got breakfast the next morning and this was actually good.

Staff:
Very friendly staff. Very accomodating. Again we were there for only one day and we more than unsatisfied but they refused to give us a refund. Please dont end up wasting your money on a place like this.

12 Thank darkhorse50
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Great resort choice, limited night entertainment so if you are looking for more excitement not the place for you. Great staff, friendly, shout out to Octavia, Opal,(best grilled red snapper and jerk chicken on the beach), Chef Ruddy Dixon, the best chef, Gladstone-Maintenance Department ( any maintenance problem before you hang up the phone he is at the door.), Rory (world boss), Kirk and all the rest of the staff. Took ear plugs never used them, the tree frogs and crickets never bothered us actually they put us to sleep and we usually open the windows early in the mornings for fresh air. Tree houses unique and the grounds are well kept. Choice of food was international and local. Do not be afraid to try the local dishes.
Beach is across the road that is not a problem the guard takes you across safely.
The beach is the best and this was one of our best vacations because of the excellent staff and the relaxing surroundings. Room 508 Dec 9-16 thank you all and making plans to return miss you all.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 5th block and found it easy to walk to the restaurants, front desk and beach.
2 Thank BlueJays111
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We stayed at Sunset at the Palms from December 1-11th, 2012. The resort is beautiful! The staff were very friendly and made you feel like family. I went down there with a broken foot, and they made sure to supply me with bags of ice every day. A big shout out to Paul, Clive, Cornelius, Carla, and the girls at the front desk. One of the highlights of our trip was taking the garden tour with Shorty. So many beautiful plants and flowers. We also took a day trip with Randy from John Wayne tours (876-390-8156) and had brought some school supplies down with us to donate to a school. Not only did he take us to one school, but he took us to three! He also took us on a tour of the mountains, and to Peter Tosh's resting place. He definitely showed us a great time, and we would highly recommend him. Candyman aka. Andrew (876-436-3459) also took us around for a beautiful drive across the island and up to Bob Marley's resting place. We recommend him as well. Both drivers were safe and reliable. Overall, this was one of the best trip's of our lives, we had a great time, and have no complaints about the hotel or staff. Everything was amazing and we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: We stayed along the road, but we found we had no problem sleeping with the sounds of nature. We are...
Brandon, Canada
Reviewed December 20, 2012

This was our third year in a row staying at Sunset at the Palms and we stayed for 12 days this year, instead of just one week. It was nice to go back, enjoy the sun and visit with the familiar faces of the wonderful staff. It was hotter and more humid this year, compared to the last couple of years, temperatures reached +32C most days. We found that the maintenance was lacking at the resort this year - our A/C was out of refrigerant and needed to be fixed, as well as the leaky faucets and the shower water pouring out of the drain on to the ground, and the number of swipe keys we went through was a little bit much (the battery on the door needed to be changed).
The food was the exact same as it was last year, and the year before that. It's time to switch it up. There were a few buffet meals that tasted like leftovers, and not the ones that are better the next day. We ate off of the resort a couple of times, which was nice.
Again, staff was wonderful and the beach is amazing, like always.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the 400's, away from the road noise and not right next to the nightly entertai...
2 Thank rydenfamily