“Sunset at the Palms”

Ranked #7 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Canton, Georgia
“Sunset at the Palms”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Upon arrival the staff was not very happy. They almost seemed bothered that we were there. They asked for our credit cards, issued towel cards $25US Each, Safe Key $50US and arm bands $100US Each if you lose them.
We were quickly taken to our cabins. The cabins were nice but they don’t have windows, just screens with shutters. The cabins were very warm. After closing the shutters it took 5-6 hours for the room to cool down.
The lobby, hotel, restaurant and spa have no AC; it’s very uncomfortable during the day and at night. There are some ceiling fans and if you’re lucky enough to sit under one it’s not too bad. The workout room has AC but it does not work that well and some of the equipment is broken.
Be sure to bring plenty of bug spray the place is swarming with bugs.
The bar drinks don’t have alcohol unless you ask for it.
The beach is across the street about a two to three minute walk. The beach is not bad, just watch out for the vendors and drug dealers.
The restaurant at the beach area was always out of fish all four days we were there. Not much of a selection. The food overall was poor to fair at all the restaurants on the property.
The beach activities that were included could not be used everything was “being used” or broken. I could not see anything being used there were probably 10 people there with us.
There is no bottled water ant any of the bars; it’s only sold at the gift shop that is only open from 9-6. Be sure to bring cash, you can’t charge anything to your room. Not even the spa can be charged to your room. There are no ATM’S on the property; you have to walk 9 miles to the nearest one.
The bus ride to and from the airport is about 1.5 hours each way and stops quite a bit.
You’re on your own when it comes to toilet paper, the never brought any when it ran out, you have to ask for more.
Overall it was a relaxing vacation but I would NOT pick this place again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Dan T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (702)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed here with our 2 year old for 3 nights. We also stayed in MoBay and Ocho Rios. As mentioned already, this does not really market to families but there were others with little ones. The water is very calm and beach is pristine so kids can still have fun.

Pros
- Staff - very personable staff that went out of their way to help us have a great experience. We got to know them more than the other 2 that we stayed in Jamaica.
- Water and beach. The beach is across the road but it is clean and calm.
- Tropical setting is unique and with different trees and plants.
- Food has more variety and seemed well made compared to its sister resort (Sunset Jamaica Grande) in Ocho Rios
- Rooms are great, especially the bathroom shower
- Free wifi near the check in area

Cons
- Insect noise from outside is loud. It is typical of Tropical locations but for some this will be a shock. If you are a light sleeper, you may need ear plugs at night.
- The pool is small but we should expect this since this is a small resort
- AC didn't always work well

Other Notable things:
- There not much in terms of entertainment other than live music
- You can request a fridge

Overall, a very good experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Tiger_S_A
Yorkton, Canada
Reviewed June 20, 2012

First off this is a small resort so you are going to meet most of the staff and they are going to treat you really well, we simply did not like our room the first night as it was close to the road and a bit loud with the cars driving by but within an hour they got us into a new treehouse away from the road and even carried all of our stuff!!
The food is VERY good and always different in the main buffet so you will never get bored of what they have and the jerk chicken at the beach that you can get every day is the best that we found and we toured alot of Jamaica!!
The girls at the front desk are awesome and always ready to help.
My advice for anyone going offsite is get a tour guide and we used John Wayne Tours , he is parked just outside the gates and I have to say that the reason we are going back to this resort and for 2 weeks not 1 week is him, he took us all over the island and we saw what Jamaica is all about, the people and food we ate was amazing, we were welcomed into homes of local Jamaican people that are now our friends.
nothing bad about this place.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
16 Thank ShayneY_12
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed June 18, 2012

ABOUT US: My boyfriend and I are 55 and 52 respectively. We’re both working professionals, have young-adult children, and we were looking for a relaxing and romantic getaway. Sunset at the Palms (SATP) definitely fit the bill. We were there from 5/11/2012 through 5/18/2012. I agree with other reviewers who stated that this resort is an excellent value for the money. It doesn’t have all of the perks of a large resort, but I think that’s the whole point of it!

FAMILY APPEAL: I’d like to address this topic first thing. Sunset at the Palms does not market itself as all-adult resort, but since they don’t have i) a kids club, ii) separate kiddie pool iii) playground iv) lazy river, or v) childcare services, it is clearly not geared toward families. The layout of the property and the lack of glass windows (further explained below) virtually ensures that any late-night cries of babies or early morning squeals of toddlers will disturb other guests. During our stay, Sunset’s guests were primarily older, quieter, and seeking a restful and relaxed atmosphere. It appears they were seeking an “adult-oriented” vacation. Nothing ruins a romantic dinner like outbursts from nearby children and the corresponding parental attempts to calm them down. Nothing ruins your beachside nap like a beachball grazing your foot or kids playing “chase” between the chairs! I don’t dislike children. I have two of my own and have taken some wonderful vacations with them, but we always went to places that catered to children and families. SATP isn’t one of those places. With that as my disclaimer, I would respectfully say the following to parents with young children: Since there are so many resorts that go out of their way to accommodate families and offer all kinds of fun activities for the children, why not look at one of those? Again, no offense is intended and I hope that none will be taken. This is just one-person’s opinion offered for consideration.

WELCOME AND CHECK-IN: We received a warm welcome from the bellman that escorted us to the front desk and got us seated. Next thing we knew, someone was bringing a cold drink and a cool washcloth to wipe some of the “road dust” off our faces. It was a nice touch. Given our flight schedule and the nearly 2-hour ride from the airport, we didn’t arrive until around 5:00 pm. A room was quickly assigned to us and we were assured that the front desk would take care of any needs. The front desk staff is very sweet, friendly, and accommodating. Your wish is their command.

HOTEL - GENERAL: Sunset at the Palms is beautiful. While I wouldn't call it a luxury hotel, it was very nice in its own right. It’s clean, well-maintained, and everything worked. The thing that sets it apart is its smaller size (63 units, I believe) and the design of the property. Instead of the typical "sprawling resort" arrangement, this property features individual cabins which are built upon stilts. Each cabin has two units which do not share a wall and which have balconies on opposite sides so when you’re on your balcony, you can’t see your neighbors on theirs. The balcony had a small bistro set along with an outdoor "day-bed for two." The day-bed had lots of pillows for lounging. The balcony was great for chilling out while waiting your turn with the shower, or for watching the sunset.

These cabins aren't rustic by any stretch of the imagination. They are simply but nicely appointed in Mediterranean-style décor with bathrooms that feature the "bowl-on-a-counter" type sinks which are now all the rage. Also, the showers have 6 jets, which made for a wonderful "total body" experience. Now, I’ll expand upon my comment about the windows. The windows don’t have glass in them, only screens with plantation shutters. The shutters close fully at night. They block out the light, but not sound. This is what I was saying about a crying baby at night. The noise would be heard by all the nearby units. In addition, everyone may not go for this, but at night you will hear all of the “music” from insects and tree frogs chirping. This didn’t bother us. I think I’d rather hear nature sounds versus doors opening and closing, elevators grinding, or people using the ice machine down the hall. For us, “nature’s music” was soothing. We found the beds to be comfy as well and had no problems with the air conditioning. If anything, we got cold the first night or two. The rooms feature both AC units and ceiling fans. After the first couple of nights you’ll know how to adjust both.

The grounds of the property are like a tropical rainforest with BEAUTFUL landscaping and natural fauna. So there are lots of birds, flowers, and unfortunately, biting bugs. Do bring insect repellant for use at night. I recommend the strong stuff with DEET, as opposed to the products that go on dry and smell like baby powder. My boyfriend brought the “pleasant stuff” and I brought Deep Woods Off. He smelled better and wasn’t oily, but he also got more bug bites! Those tropical bugs need SERIOUS repellant.

Finally, as others have noted in great detail, some cabins are better situated within the property than others. We were lucky enough to be away from the road that fronts the property and also away from the staff’s quarters of the hotel next door. The front desk will work with you to try to assign you a “premium” location. Of course, everyone’s not going to get the “best” cabin, but for the time you’ll spend there, any one of them should do.

FOOD: The main buffet’s all-inclusive food was average – not terrible, not great. Breakfasts were always good. As for dinners, there was a carving table each night which featured turkey, ham, roast beef, ribs etc. The carved meats were pretty tasty, as were meats in general, but the veggies, sides, and desserts weren't hittin’ on a whole lot. As with most all-inclusives, you’ll also notice some “recycling” of foods. Last night’s corn may get mixed with peas the next night and voila – you’ve got a new veggie choice! We ate all lunches at the Beach Grill. The Beach Grill’s food was SLAMMIN - delicious! The Beach Grill offered burgers, hotdogs, grilled fish, jerked chicken and a few sandwiches. As others have mentioned, the jerked chicken and grilled fish are AMAZING. I also thought the burgers were good and I asked for a “jerked” cheeseburger with some of the jerk sauce poured on while cooking and then as a condiment afterward. Yum!

SERVICE: With the noteworthy exception of the lady at the beach grill, the servers at SATP buffet need to go to Cancun or the D.R. to learn how to treat guests. These servers had no smiles, no charm, and rarely bothered with “small talk.” Can you imagine sitting down to breakfast and having somebody walk up to fill your coffee without even saying, "Good Morning?" Or if they did, it was more of a mumble than a heartfelt greeting. Oh, and my boyfriend’s an absolute “Coffee Fiend” in the mornings. Unfortunately, he sometimes had to wait a full 15 minutes for his coffee. You’d look around and try to make eye contact with the servers, but they’d have their backs to you at the bussing station where they were very busy rolling up the silverware into napkins or placing cups on saucers! And forget about refills. They just don't actively watch their tables. So you can run out of coffee or water and have to finish your meal without! Don’t drop your fork; you won’t get another one! Eventually, after sizing up the situation, I just started helping myself. I’d march right up to the bussing station and just retrieve whatever we needed. Here I would add that dining tables were frequently only partially ready for dinner guests. Sometimes tables didn't have the salt and pepper shakers, or they’d be on the table, but empty, or the table had no place settings, etc. On one occasion, the Coffee Fiend got his coffee in short order only to discover that he didn’t have anything to stir it with! The servers were too busy to notice and as I said, facing away from the tables. In the Dominican Republic, for example, a server would surely see you kinda looking around for something. They could read that particular “body language” and would literally RUN over to see what you needed! Not here. The buffet servers were inattentive and seemingly nonchalant with regard to ensuring that diners were taken care of. Another couple that we hung out with described these servers as rude. I can’t say anyone was overtly “rude,” but there was certainly a lack of “customer care.”

Attention SATP Management: There is a huge “training opportunity” for the buffet staff.

We never went to the so-called "upper scale" restaurant because first of all, you had to make reservations the day of between 9:00 and 12:00. Then the men had to wear long pants, closed toe shoes, etc. Who wants to be bothered? We then heard from another couple that the food at the sit down restaurant was no better than the buffet AND you have to wait to be served. No thanks.

In the interest of fairness, the service at SATP’s front desk was warm, friendly, and professional. We also found that our rooms were well attended by the housekeeping staff. The bartenders were also very cordial and the cook behind the beach grill was always pleasant and helpful while doing a very HOT and demanding job.

DRINKS: We are not hard or heavy drinkers. Nor do we drink beer. We like fruity drinks such as daiquiris, rum punch, Bahama mamas, fuzzy navel, etc. These, of course are typically “sweet” drinks and that’s what we like. However, at SATP, the sweet drinks were weak and came out WAY too sweet. It’s almost like there was added syrup in the mix. The pina coladas and strawberry daiquiris are not made fresh as we’ve experienced in other resorts. They are pre-mixed in one of those “barrel-style” dispensers and tasted more like slushies. Unless they were kept well-hidden, I didn’t see any “top shelf” brands of liquor. Most of it looked like “no-name brands” to me. The quality of the drinks isn’t a show-stopper for us and I eventually found a few drinks that I enjoyed after asking the bartender to add a little of “this or that.” We also didn’t find that the drinks differed much from bar to bar. From our perspective, drinks were mediocre no matter where you got ‘em. Also, we noted that people were still drinking and having a great time, so the “drink issue” didn’t seem to take away from the ability to enjoy.

POOL: We are not pool people, but it was a lovely pool. It featured a swim-up bar and a pretty laid back ambience. There was music playing, but it was background music, not BLARING. There was no entertainment team, no pool volleyball, no poolside BINGO, etc. Again, this is a quiet resort and as such, the pool offered clear water, sun, and lounge chairs.

BEACH: The beach had the same laid back ambience as the pool. No music, plenty of chairs, and plenty of room relative to the size of the property. That having been said, the beach isn’t huge and it’s longer than it is deep. Yes, you have to walk across the street to get to the beach. Normally, I prefer a "beachfront" hotel, but SATP just looked so cute and charming in the descriptions that I was willing to forego the beachfront requirement. I wasn't disappointed. The walk was easy and actually shorter than the walk to the beach that I've had at some of the large "beachfront" resorts. This wasn't the most beautiful beach I've ever seen. The sand is plain sand-color and there are few shells. However, the water was clear and a pretty shade of blueish-green and it was always warm and calm. We saw very little seaweed or beach debris and best of all, no jellyfish! The beach is actually situated in a cove, so there weren’t any waves except for those created by nearby boats and jet skis. At first I was also troubled by the absence of beach umbrellas, but you don't need them. There is plenty of shade for anyone who wanted to be out of the sun.

Yes there are vendors on the beach, but tourism is the country’s biggest industry. Everybody wants a piece of the action so everybody’s got a hustle. We didn’t find the beach vendors and performers to be in any way threatening or rude. I felt that their presence added “color” to the beach. In fact some of the musicians were quite good. The vendors and performers get the message if you express that you don’t want to be bothered. I never felt harassed by anyone. There is also a security presence on the beach and I’m sure that helps the vendors to remember their manners.

One “con” that I did observe on the beach had to do with guests who got real “chummy” with certain vendors. After the vendor figured the guest was all buddy-buddy with them, they’d start asking the guest to bring them lunch from the Beach Grill or a drink from the bar every day. Note: These are people who do not look hungry or under-nourished. They’re just runnin’ a hustle. Who doesn’t love a free lunch? Security is “on” to this, so I’d say, if you’re gonna do it, just know that you may be detected and there may be consequences for your new-found friend.

ENTERTAINMENT: The entertainment schedule is posted near the lobby and consists of i) A piano bar from 7:30 to 9 most nights ii) A reggae band at the pool from 9 - 10:30 on two nights and iii) Karoke night on Thursdays, I believe. The piano player was actually quite good and Karioke night was a lot of fun once people got warmed up. The entertainment was “just enough" for us. It was good quality and I preferred it over the usual cheesy shows. The entertainment finishes up at 10:00 each night. At that point, people either hang out in the lounge or at the pool bar. We enjoy board games and brought Scrabble and Monopoly along and had some highly competitive games while listening to the entertainment and afterward.
There isn’t much within walking distance of the hotel, so it’s not like Cancun where you can walk the strip or like the Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort in Ocho Rios where you can walk right into downtown. There are several hotels along the road that fronts the property, but I would suggest accessing them by walking along the beach. This is due to TRAFFIC issues (no sidewalks, fast drivers) and not “stranger danger.” There is security right outside of the property and I didn’t feel “in danger” at any time during my stay.

ACTIVITIES: We were pretty much just beach bums. But we did go snorkeling one day which we organized with the hotel’s Water Sports hut. I’ve had better snorkeling experiences, but you can’t complain about not seeing a lot of underwater life. Sometimes you do, sometimes you don’t. We saw mostly small fish and nothing noteworthy. The snorkeling guides and overall experience was still great. We also did a shopping excursion late one afternoon. We booked this with the “cabbie” that’s stationed with his van outside the property. The tour included about two hours of shopping and then a visit to Rick's Cafe. Rick's sits on the cliffs of Negril. It faces West and overlooks the water. You want to get there in time for the sunset. It's a huge bar and restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating along with live entertainment. It's famous for its sunsets and for the opportunity to jump off the cliffs. It’s a landmark for tourists and I would recommend it. We passed on the cliff-jumping but enjoyed Jamaican beef patties , DELICIOUS tropical drinks, and just bopped to the music and people-watched. The only other activity was our "his and hers massages" on our last night there.

MASSAGES: WARNING - I read a lot of reviews and there was more than one negative comment about the massages. We decided to “chance it” because it’s one of our treats when we’re on vacation. As it turned out, my boyfriend was pleased with his massage but I ended up with SOPHIE who didn't know the difference between giving a massage and simply applying lotion. I swear, she was just squirting out the massage oil and rubbing it in! She had no technique, no pressure, and no skills whatsoever. At the outset of my massage I let her know that I had some tightness in my lumbar area and showed her exactly where. I asked her to please give extra attention there. No matter. She lightly rubbed oil all over my neck, shoulders, and upper back instead. I asked for more pressure and told her I could withstand “deep tissue,” but no matter. She continued with her gentle and totally ineffective strokes. When she asked me to roll over onto my back, I said, “Well you never even hit my lower back where I told you I was hurting.” She reluctantly and begrudgingly made the attempt, but with her lack of skills, she needn’t have bothered. This lady is not a trained masseuse. Chances are, you’d get a better massage from your significant other. The masseuses didn’t have name tags, but Sophie is an attractive, slender, brown-skinned lady about 5’5” tall. She had long hair which she wore straight on that day. I’d say that if you book a massage and show up to find that your masseuse is going to be SOPHIE, don’t waste your money. Tell them you changed your mind. I was inclined to complain and ask for at least a partial refund, but my boyfriend talked me out of it. It’s true that you don’t want to raise a ruckus on vacation, so I let it go.

CONCLUSION: We were well-pleased overall and would definitely recommend Sunset at the Palms and would return there. This is a great destination for a quiet, relaxing getaway. Next time we might budget for eating a dinner or two off of the property as we later learned that there are some wonderful and fairly reasonable restaurants in town. One of them that came highly recommended was called “Catch a Falling Star.” We were told that like Rick’s Café, it also sits up on the cliffs and overlooks the water. We heard the food is great too. Sounds lovely. SATP isn’t a six star resort, but it definitely deserves more that the three star rating that it currently carries. I’d give it a 4 to 4.5. From our perspective, it is very nice in all respects and you won’t be disappointed.

Room Tip: There is a busy road that runs in front of the hotel. There is also one cabin where the view from t...
29 Thank atlplayagirl
Berkeley, California, United States
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Sunset at the Palms is the place for you if you are looking to stay away from the huge resorts and personal service. The grounds are fantastic. Green and lush with a great jungle feel to it. The staff is awesome. Every single person on the staff went out of their way to make sure you are happy. The food was good but not great. Private beach with a beach bar and grill was a nice touch. Drawbacks were no internet in rooms and the pool was a bit small otherwise we had a perfect stay.

7 Thank Mike P
Saint Peter, Illinois
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We have been to Jamaica several times and always stay at a different resort. At Sunset at the Palms we have found the first resort that we will definately return to. Although not a beach front resort, the lush tropical setting more than makes up for it. Instead of hearing the roar of the ocean, you are lulled to sleep by the sounds of nature. The birds, tree toads, owls, etc. were quite amazing. There are only two rooms to each building, each set far enough apart and surrounded with tall plants and trees to ensure privacy. Rooms were on the small side but the balcony with a small table and chairs as well as a very large, comfy daybed made up for that. The food provided at the 2 restaurants and beach side grill was all good but the Lotus Leaf dine-in restaurant was definately the best - most tender steak I ever had. The restaurant manager Sifford was especially friendly and even brought us a decorated muffin with a candle on it for my husband's birthday.

The resort itself is small, only 68 rooms in all. It was wonderful to stay at a resort where the staff were able to know you by name and for guests to get to know each other as well. Staff was very friendly, always greeting you as they walk by and taking time to stop and talk to anyone who had questions about the resort or Jamaica in general. I definately recommend the garden tour with the chief gardner "Shorty". Very knowledgeable about all the plantings around the resort.

Evening entertainment was always available. A small band, a one-man band, kareoke were all fun. The "Piano Man" at the piano bar was incredible, playing anything from The Beatles to Beethoven. They made several attempts to have a beach bbq but both nights it was rained out. Yes, the entertainment ends early (about 10:30pm) but that just part of a small, quiet resort.

If you are looking for a resort to stay up late and party all night, this is not the one for you. On the other hand, if you are looking for a quiet, intimate, romantic get-away, Sunset at the Palms is THE place to be.

Room Tip: For a quieter room, ask for one away from the road.
5 Thank DeeArrasmith
missouri
Reviewed June 3, 2012

When we arrived they didn't have a room for us due to plumbing problems so they sent us to Breezes for one night (this place is horrible). We went back the next morning but of course couldn't get in our room until late that day. After two nights our air conditioner stopped working so at 9 p.m. we had to pack everything up and move. The rooms are very dark and the air conditioner doesn't really cool the room until the middle of the night. If you are a light sleeper not the place for you. It is nice to hear the sounds of nature but sometimes you just can't take it anymore. Also a lot of road noise, car horns, etc. The beach is nice but 7 mile beach is better. We spent the last day there hanging out at Margarittaville. They have beach chairs there and you can just chill there all day.

I didn't do my homework before going, May and June are rainy months there. I know, it rained for 3 days straight.

Food was ok. We did like the fact that it is not a mega resort so not a thousand people running around. Will not stay again.

Room Tip: Request a treehouse in the back away from the road
3 Thank skortMissouri