“What a relaxing vacation!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Couples Negril

Couples Negril
Ranked #9 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Boston, MA
“What a relaxing vacation!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2009

The beach is amazing and the hotel has waitresses that get you what drinks you want without getting up.
The catamaran cruise is the best activity I think the hotel offers as you jump into the ocean and explore the cliffs and even jump if you want. (Although there was a random lady there and told you you had to pay 3 dollars to jump... how do you swim in the ocean with 3 dollars?)
We went snorkeling, which was so fun, but wish it was longer than a 1/2 hour.

The food: the food was for the most part very good, however my now husband and I got somewhat a sour stomach. I guess the food just did not sit well with us, however it did not keep us in bed at all, just always a weird feeling in the stomach.

Our favorite restaurant was the main one by the stage, which offered pan fried snapper with rice and veges. Also they had this great appetizer jerk pork with pineapples and bbq sauce-- so yummy (and I really do not even like pork that much)

We did venture off the resort to Kingston (everyone says its so scary, but obviously I am alive).. so worth it to visit the Bob Marley Museum and the Blue Mountains where the best Jamaican coffee comes from. We hired a personal driver for the day (3 and a half hours each way) who charged 250 dollars plus 50 dollar tip). Just to warn you.. if you get car sick being Dramamine.. Because they drive on the left and they drive crazy. The roads are only one lane each way and very bumpy and windy esp. when you reach the mountains. The Kingston trip was well worth it and would do it again.

Overall we had a great time. It was our honeymoon and we wanted relaxation from all the stress that goes into planning a wedding. I would definitely recommend this hotel, but I recommend bringing Immodium or pepto just incase.

Also if you golf.. 9 holes is free and a free shuttle in the morning-- beautiful!

3 Thank krichar3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,009)
  • Polish first
Rockford, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2009

This was our second trip to Couples Negril and just as amazing as the first. The added benefit this time was our $350 Spa credit and $150 gift shop credit.

Arrival: Quick and smooth, as was the ride to the resort. Greeted by staff with cool towels as we looked out over the pool to the ocean and just thought how lucky we were to be back after two years. We requested a 2nd or 3rd floor room on the Water Sports/Spa side and were granted the request. We really like that side of the resort since it is more tropical and very close to the water sports hut and Spa.

Spa: This was our first experience at the spa. Because of our credit and the free massages for being "repeaters" we each had 3 massages. My favorite was the Swedish Massage in the tree house. The feel of the breeze and the birds chirping made the massage extra relaxing. My husband preferred the deap tissue massage, but be forewarned - those women have some strong hands - and it was way too much pressure for me to find it relaxing. But to each his own.

Beach: Great as usual. Lots of star fish in the evenings. A few jelly fish to be avoided, but this was usually late in the afternoons. Red flag service was quick as usual. We liked the addition of some new beach hammocks, though they were usually occupied, but no worries, plenty of chairs and shade for us.

Food: Great for the most part. This is the first year we'd had Chicken and Beef Patties at the beach grill and they were great. We liked all the restaurants. My favorite is still Heliciona, but I think my husband prefers the Cassava Terrace. Lycee was good up until my husband's sea food green curry. To say it was a 'bit sandy' would be an understatement. (My fish was great, though!) We just wouldn't order that in the future. We ate at Otahiete (sp) twice (once for the repeaters dinner) and the food was really good there. For the most part, you can't go too wrong. There is always something good to try. Oh, and lobster night - amazing! That is what we were both looking forward to the most and it did not disappoint.

Water Sports: We went snorkeling and after I finally found a mask that fit right, it was very enjoyable. Lots of awesome sights to see. The night snorkel was good, though we didn't see as much as we did two years ago, but that is no fault of the staff. We also took the Hobie Cat out again and once we were out and stuck we asked ourselves "Why did we want to do this again?" We are just not good sailers! Just ask the guy in the swim area that had to push us back out to sea...

I know this is really long, but hopefully it helped someone make a decision. It is a great place and it is really what you make of it. We knew it was great and that was reinforced when we had to stay at another resort in Montego Bay while our Air Jamaica flight was delayed for 8 hours and that REALLY made up appreciate CN!

2 Thank parker-scanlon
chitownshandi, director of sales and mareting at Couples Negril, responded to this review, September 22, 2009
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review of Couples Negril. We believe our guests and especially our repeat guests are the best marketing tool. Its apparent you know what you like and also like to try new things. Couples Negril, will always meet your expectations as a consistent value and continue to surprise you with upgrades and amenities year after year. Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
Andi Conway
Director of Sales and Marketing, Couples Resorts
chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2009

It amazes me that some people would rather go to Mexico...please go, leave this paradise to the rest of us! My husband and i go every year with as many friends as we can get together, I have never heard any of them complain. If you cannot enjoy yourself in a beautiful paradise with beautiful beaches and wonderful food, you do not understand the Carribean. Jamaicans are wonderful, proud people and the more we get to know them, the more we enjoy them. The rooms are not 5 star, but they are clean. Also, remember for $3,000 to $4,000 you can drink top shelf alcohol, eat great food, go on two free catamaran cruises, go water skiing for free etc, etc. Relax, enjoy...you can do it if you try.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
7 Thank Jane191919
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2009

I am not sure how to write a review about Paradise. This was our 5th trip to Couples Negril and each trip gets better and better. I think because we have been so many times from the moment we stepped off the shuttle we were relaxed. We know the resort, we know the rhythms, there was none of the stress of trying to figure out where our room was or where the restaurants were it was just good to be back home. Ok, on to the review.

Rooms - we had a Garden view room in Building One. This is our favorite building because it is so close to everything. I love the new flatscreen TV’s and the new tile work in the bathroom. My husband did not care for the shallow sink, but it did not bother me at all. The mini bar is nice, I liked having cold water, Ting and juices. We did have a bottle of rum in the room, but never drank it.

Food – once again the food did not disappoint. This trip I think that Heliconia was our favorite restaurant. They have an Italian theme menu that changes every couple of days so if you are staying for more then a week you will have several choices. We were there on lobster night and the grilled lobster with pasta was wonderful. The Asian infused restaurant, Lychee, is our second favorite, be sure to try the Lychee Martini, it is really good. The only night that we went to Otaheite (which I found out this trip was a local apple) and that was for the repeaters dinner. If you are a repeater and have never been, like us, this is a wonderful meal not to be missed. Of course the breakfast buffet is great and there is a wide range of choices. For lunch we always ate at the beach grill, their fish fingers are fabulous as is the jerk chicken and snapper sandwich.

Spa - The spa is wonderful. I had two massages and my husband had his first massage. They were, as always, great.

Grounds - I love the new restroom outside Lychee and Heliconia, it has a great shower area so you can spend your last day on the beach and have a place to shower, dress, dry your hair (yes there is a hair dryer) and not have to drag everything out of your suitcase. Although this is a new building they destressed the finish to match the rest of the buildings and it looks like it has been there for ages.

Unlike other trips, this time we really did not do much, in the past we have done the cat cruise, glass bottom boat, etc, but did not feel like doing them this trip. Took a walk to the Office of Nature, both the new one and the original one, they were both busy bringing in some nice lobster to grill. However, that was about all we did. The red flag service on the beach and around the pool is great, just can make you very lazy.
Our only complaints were one with housekeeping, we had two days in a row that they did not get to our room until after 5:00 to service it and we were back in the room already. The second day they didn’t get there at all. But with a call to the front desk this was taken care of and we did not have any problems after that. The other complaint was hot water, this is the first time that we have ever experienced the lack of hot water. We don’t know if it was because we this is the first we have been on the third floor but several days we did not have hot water as did some friends of ours that were traveling with us, they too were on the third floor of another building. To be honest we never said anything about the hot water, so it was just as much our fault for not saying anything.

2 Thank blondie9093
chitownshandi, director of sales and marketing at Couples Negril, responded to this review, September 22, 2009
Hello and thank you so much for your review of Couples Negril. As a repeat guest, it was awesome to see your notations of the property updates. We take great pride in the ability to keep the product upgrade and comfortable for all guests, its so great that you took note of this. i will be sure to forward the improvement items to the resort management team. The repeat guest dinner and romance rewards are some of the amazing perks we offer our loyal guest such as yourselves. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you home again soon!
Andi Conway
Director of Sales and Marketing.
Witney, Oxon, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2009

Myself and my new wife chose Couples Negril for our honeymoon after reading so many positive reviews and couldn't be happier with the choice. I'd wanted to go to Negril for many years and this resort had always been on my shortlist.

I won't go into any details of flights or airports as clearly this has nothing to do with the actual resort. We arrived late Wednesday evening having travelled all day and so naturally were exhausted. A quick check in process followed by a glass of champers was most welcome and soon we were shown to our room. The luggage followed shortly after and this was the only time I was able to tip other than for a massage. The resort has a no tipping policy to allow a true feeling of all inclusive and it really does work. Several times I would have liked to have been able to tip but the the fact all the staff appear to be genuinely happy in their work tells me they must be paid well enough to compensate for this no tipping rule. Otherwise there are many other resorts where tipping is the norm so why work at Couples. Included activities were plentiful.

10 Thank happygooner31
chitownshandi, director of sales and marketing at Couples Negril, responded to this review, September 9, 2009
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Couples Negril. Just knowing that you could tell the service and staff were great and tipping is not allowed, serves your point, that the staff are happy and service does not suffer, but flourishes. We look forward to welcoming you home again soon.

Andrea Conway
Director of Sales and Marketing, Couples Resorts
Milford, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2009

We just returned from our 8 night honeymoon at Couples Negril and we already want to go back! Jamaica is absolutely beautiful... it truly is paradise. I read a lot of reviews before we went so I was a little bit nervous about a few things but everything turned out perfectly.
Arriving: Everything at the airport was quick and easy, no lines, air conditioning, can't complain. When we got to the Couples lounge we had about 2 minutes to sit and have a red stripe before they told us our shuttle was ready. The only thing you need to watch out for at the airport are the guys who take your luggage. My husband was approached by one of the men and he said "I am responsible for making sure your bags get to the shuttle safely" and basically held out his hand for a tip. Then two seconds later another man takes our luggage and puts it on a cart and brings it to the shuttle and makes an announcement to our group that "In Jamaica, it is customary to give tips to anyone who helps you with your luggage"... I wasn't too happy with how pushy they are with tips but I guess it should have been expected. Arriving at the resort was great, we were greeted with a cold towel and glass of champagne.
Room: Our room was fantastic! We had a beachfront room, first floor, so we could step off of our patio right into the sand. If you can, defintely request the first floor! The bed was very comfortable and bigger than what we are used to sleeping on at home so it was nice to spread out! the shelving and closet space was perfect and we didnt have any trouble fitting all of our valuables into the safe. The bathroom was a perfect size too... my only complaint was that there is no fan in the bathroom so the mirror would get very fogged up and stay that way for a long time after we showered. The bathroom had a hair dryer so i'm glad i didn't pack mine! For anyone worried about their hair, I packed a hair straightener and a curling iron and didnt use them once! I just scrunched it with some mousse and let it air dry. Its so humid outside that it would be silly to actually do your hair!
Food: I was happy with the food. Breakfast was always great, had a nice variety so you didnt need to have the same thing every morning. Lunch at the buffett wasnt our favorite so we would go over to the grill where they have a great nacho station, jerk chicken, fried fish fingers, grilled cheese, burgers, hot dogs, etc. Dinner was always great, awesome varieties at both the Asian and Italian restaurants. The pad thai at the Lychee was delicious!! We didn't go to the fancy restaurant because my husband didn't pack pants but I don't feel like I missed out on anything, we had a great dinner every night.
Beach/Pool: The beach was amazing! So relaxing! The only thing is that there are local people walking the beach yelling "cigarettes, cigars, parasailing, jet ski" so that kind of got annoying but after a while you learn to ignore that noise. Also, when you're in the ocean, you will be harrassed by the men on jet ski's... just ignore them and they will bother someone else. There's a rope blocking them off from entering into the resort swim area so its easy to stay away from them. The pool was great, especially the pool bar! We had some very fun times there. Drinks were great, don't try the Bob Marley shot unless you want to ruin your entire day!
Activities: The catamaran cruise is a must do - we had a great time, they take you to caves that you can swim into (we saw a lot of jellyfish so I opted to stay on the boat and drink) you also see a great sunset on the way back to the resort. Margaritaville was a waste of time and money. They give you these big tall cups when you get there and it cost $32.50 to fill them both! Unreal... that was our only drink there and we sat inside the restaurant for the rest of that excursion waiting for our bus! We did go to Rick's Cafe and that is also a must see. It cost $15 per person for the shuttle ride but in my opinion it was worth it. The cliff jumpers are insane! My husband jumped off the highest cliff that tourists can jump off of and he said it felt like the got punched under the chin when he hit the water... i'm glad I chickened out! The sunset there is beautiful too! The glass bottom boat ride was nice, nothing incredible but you do see some cool looking coral and a few fish and starfish.
We didn't go on any shopping trips but we did walk off of the resort propertly to a little craft market down the street. It was pretty scary walking out there but we went with another couple that we met so I felt safer. This place has all of the same stuff that they sell at the resort (when they have vendors come in and set up on the beach) but it's more than half the price of what they are selling it for. If you have the oppertunity and feel safe enough, I would encourage you to take a walk out there. I believe they schedule a walk with the resort down there as well.
There is always something to do at the resort. You recieve a pamphlet when you arrive letting you know times of all activities, we were never bored! They say that tipping isn't allowed at the resort and many people mentioned it on here as well but I saw many people handing tips over to the resort workers. I don't know if it was just me but I felt like they expected tips, especially at the restaurants at dinner time and when we went on the excursions with people who worked at the resort. We probably gave out a good $25 in tips at the resort alone.
Because we were on our honeymoon we recieved a credit to the spa for $175 so we got to enjoy a massage on the beach and also a credit for $75 to the gift shop! Make sure you also recieve your free bottle of champagne too!

11 Thank JC822
Hi and congrats on your nuptials! We are thrilled that you spent your honeymoon at the very romantic Couples Negril - great choice! I would 100% agree on your recommendation for a beachfront room, they are incredible. Your recommendations off property were spot on too. The catamaran sunset cruise is incredible and INCLUDED. Thank for your efforts and time to write the review. We look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
Osprey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2009

I love Jamaica and Couples Negril was outstanding. Everytime you see an employee the say hello to you and ask if you need anything. The water at the beach was like bath water. The general manager of the resort was always walking around and he would always stop and talk to guests. Great variety of food and activities. There was so much to do that we never left the resort. Was a very special wedding. The resort staff is very professional.

7 Thank TonyAlves
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,749 reviews

Been to Couples Negril? Share your experiences!