“WE ARE SPOILED - 5th Time in 6 Years and all still irie Mon”
Review of Couples Negril

Couples Negril
Ranked #8 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed July 29, 2009

We just returned from our 5th trip to CN since we discovered our heart's home when we wed there in 2003 -- thank goodness for that TA! We were again given our request for a 3rd floor room and again stayed in Bldg 1 which we really enjoy due to proximity to everything, yet quiet, and the lush gardens around that building. The food was awesome as always as was the service, drinks and ambiance. When you are welcomed home at CN it truly is that - like being part of a large extended family where you know you are always going to receive a smile, a wonderful vacation experience, and romantic memories for a lifetime. The only MINOR disappointment was there is no longer my beloved shower gel in the resort rooms, and that the Repeater's Dinner had no gift bags or photographer to take pics. We blindly thought the photographer would be there so had not had any other photos taken.

Again the service went above and beyond. The only downside to the trip was Mother Nature related - there were quite large jelly fish throughout the Bay and after DH was stung in a "sensitive" area that was enough to deter me from floating for hours like I normally do. The tree hut massage was again awesome - the Therapist liked Hubby's tie dyed boxers we had made.

The real downside of the trip was going to Montego Bay to stay at another AI for SumFest and we realized how spoiled we are at CN! The staff at the other resort were not friendly, and the whole experience so different than Couples, and to us nearly un-Jamaican.

Thank you Couples Negril for again providing us with a wonderfully romantic trip with lifelong memories from our heart's home. Thank you RandyMon for having the letter delivered to the Grooviest Chick in the World!

5  Thank stlucia06
Write a ReviewReviews (4,421)

Reviewed July 29, 2009

Before the review begins, please note that the weather in Negril, was without a doubt the best weather i've ever experienced. Take no notice of the weather reports, it rained a total of 4 times in 2 weeks while we were there.

My wife and i stayed at Couples Negril between 7-21st July for our honeymoon. From the moment you arrived, you could tell that you'd made the right choice. Staff, rooms, cleanliness, drinks, activities, they were all excellent.

As mentioned in an earlier review, there were a small, actually very small ammount of Americans that did the "whoop whoop" all the time, but please do not think that i am saying that about all americans, the majority of Americans we met were really nice, and acting like they were on a couples holiday, and not a spring break weekender.

The only reason that the rooms got 4/5 was because it is true that they are not what you call 5 star rooms. But please don't let this put you off at all. The rooms are expensively decorated in a carribean style rather than a modern style.

All in all it was a fantastic 2 weeks, and we met some really nice people whilst we were there, staff, and other guests. All i will say to you is this, when you get there, don't waste a minute of your time, because before you know it, you'll be back at work again, and its the most depressing thing ever.

I'm very glad we chose couples negril for our honeymoon, we'll never forget it.

P.S - Italian resteraunt was the best food.

13  Thank Enfferejado
chitownshandi, director of sales and marketing at Couples Negril, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2009

Hello and thank you for taking the time and effort to write about your honeymoon at Couples Negril. First off congratulations on your nuptials. Your review was so nice. Unfortunately, we all know the feeling of the bus ride from the resort to the airport, being on your way back to reality, can be so disheartening. We look forward to welcoming you home again.

Andi Conway, director of sales and marketing, Couples Resorts.

Reviewed July 27, 2009

Myself and my Wife chose CN for our honeymoon destination out of many other possibilities after spending many months looking online at sites such as this one - we were not disappointed!

I wont repeat all of the great reviews on this site but will agree with all of them to save time. We were in Block 1 which was superb - clean, close to all facilities including the beach and spa and with wonderful views of the gardens with the 2 pools with the turtles! Those who complain about having a garden view must come from a different planet - it is wonderful to see all of the animals and lovely flowers, and in any case you can spend all day looking at the sea from the beautiful beach.

If there are any drawbacks to CN it has to be 2 things.

1. The bugs! I took everything imaginable both before and during our stay, creams, pills, potions and lotions, all to no avail, as 1 lady said "they like you, you must taste sweet" However one of the spa girls did suggest rubbing my arms and legs with a segment of lime before I went out in the evening, this did seem to help but unfortunately we only had 2 nights left at this point.

2. Some of the other guests! Some guests especially in the late afternoon around the pool bar seemed to get very excitable about absolutely nothing, whooping and hollering at the top of their voices at the slightest thing - it could be that someone ordered a Bob Marley, it could be that someone entered the pool and got wet, it could be that they found someone else with a name which started with the same letter as theirs, you get the picture. Another thing which was annoying and totally avoidable was smokers on the beach just throwing their fag butts onto the beach. It is a wonderful beach and is cleaned every morning so why do that? There are ashtray available so use them!

Overal though we did not let these things spoil our honeymoon, it really is as good as the positive reviews say it is and I would recommend it to anyone - just make sure you have plenty of limes handy!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
16  Thank shaveoff
chitownshandi, director of sales and marketing at Couples Negril, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2009

Hello - Congratulations on your recent nuptials! We are thrilled that you chose Couples Resorts and hope that you keep us in mind for your future romantic getaways and keep that passion rekindled. Your review was great and we understand the bug issue, a little too well, I'm happy the spa staff was able to give you some tips. In regards to other guests, its tough to know who will be at the resort at any one time and different people have different ideas of fun. We are glad it didn't spoil your romantic occasion and we look forward to welcoming you home again!

Reviewed July 27, 2009

The Couples Bar at the airport was basic but was a welcoming sight after a ten hour flight! The trip from the airport to the hotel was an hour and a half which we had reservations about when booking but in reality it was great as it gave us an opportunity to see a small amount of Jamaica. We found check in to be very efficient and friendly; the refreshing face towel and glass of sparkling wine was happily received after quite a long transfer. Our room was in Block 1 which is between the Grill and the Spa; despite its proximity to one of the bars we never experienced any noise when in the room. We were on the ground floor and when sitting on our terrace we had views of the beach, which was only 30 yards away; this was lovely when having pre-pre-dinner drinks(!) on the terrace. I was pleased with the decor of the room as it was inkeeping with the Caribbean feel of the whole resort and I do also accept that the occassional bug such as ants and coackroaches in the rooms are perhaps an unavoidable result of being in the Carribean, however, I felt the bathroom was below the standard that should be offered at such a resort; I believe the resort are, however, in the process of refurbishing the bathrooms. Our bathroom smelt quite bad (not of drains but of urine) other than for about an hour after maidservice had visited and the floor tiles and toilet lid had a beige staining which I found to be rather uninviting. Some I am sure will feel that these are minor points and the service and hotel makes it unimportant but for me cleanliness of the rooms are very important and despite the best efforts of the maid service it had gone beyond requiring a clean to needing to be refurbished; if all the bathrooms are to be refurbished then this would solve the problem and the rooms will be lovely.
We thought the food overall was excellent; our favourite was Lychees (Asian food) and the reservation a la carte restaurant. We were not so keen on the a la carte evenings at the main restaurant but there are so many options it is not a problem.
The staff were excellent; yhey all cared so much about the guests having an enjoyable holiday. They were all so friendly and spoke as much or as little as guests wished. I believe that those who have commented that the bar staff simply provided a drink and then moved on to the next customer must have been at the bar at the busiest of times and such an approach is taken by the bar staff to ensure that customers are not kept waiting, which is good service. We found that the service throughout was first class. We did two excursions with the hotel; Rick's cafe and Dunns river waterfalls: both were excellent and provided us with a nice break from the hotel as we were staying at Couples for two weeks so it was nice to have a change of scenery occassionally. Other than the bathrooms, there was oneother element of the holiday that I was slightly disappointed with: our understanding of the Couples resort was that it was a holiday for couples. We thought it was lovely that so many couples were getting married there and thought that it was correct that couples getting married were able to eat meals with their wedding party, however, I was disappointed that large tables for eight to ten people were offered to other guests; on our second week a large group of guests arrived together for a holiday and it changed the atmosphere of the hotel; the pool bar was swamped and noisy, the large group ate all their meals together which changed the atmosphere of the restaurants from romantic and relaxed to more of a party atmosphere. For some, this may not be a problem and may be a refreshing change, however, for us it was not what we wanted which is why we chose Couples from the outset. It is for this reason and because of the standard of the bathrooms that I would not return; I had such high expectations from reading the reviews before I went on holiday and perhaps if some of the more recent reviews had been available before going I would have had more sensible expectationas and would have enjoyed the break more. However, this is my personal opinion and the issues I have raised may have gone unnoticed by others! If you like good service, with good food, and a friendly atmoshphere then you will enjoy your stay. It is not luxurious but is a chilled out, friendly, welcoming resort.

14  Thank SouthseaPusser
Reviewed July 23, 2009

I was so excited to finally get to Negril and enjoy the beach and all inclusive goodness. I've stayed at many AI's in the past. Sandals, Sol Melia, Riu, etc. In Mexico, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico.

Sandals has been consistently nice, but over priced. Over the years, they have been going downhill in their value so I decided to give Couples a try.

As this was for meant to be a big birthday bash for me, I wanted to make sure we stayed at the best possible place. Couples Negril is rated 4/5 stars so I was very excited.

Disappointment set in right at the airport waiting room. It's so basic as to be a joke compared to Sandals or Ritz Carlton's lounge. The only "drink" you could get was beer. Sandals had a bunch of liquor to choose from.

The shuttle ride was the usual Jamaican shuttle ride. Tip the red cap porters, listen to the driver's attempt at humor, settle back in for a not-so-bad ride with a detour at the requisite rest stop (a.k.a. place to buy massively overpriced food and drink). The shuttle van was a third party provided transport which was terrible compared to the Sandals shuttles. No water or anything was provided, which again was different from Sandals.

Check-in was well organized with the towels and drinks others have mentioned. Escort to the room was disorganized... with not enough room porters. We ended up having to wait 30 minutes for our small pieces of luggage to arrive at the room.

Speaking of the room, it was very average. Compared to the beautiful rooms I've stayed in at Mexico AI's or Puerto Rico it was downright bad. Don't get me wrong it was very comfortable. But small with very minimal furniture. Small ants were all over the bathroom, but heck you are in the tropics so don't expect a bug free room!

Food was the surprise. Most of the food we ate was spectacular with one exception, the Beach Grill. There the food was mediocre at best. Unfortunately this was also the place where you could get 24 hour snacks. The buffets were surprisingly good.

Service was below average. I don't know if we hit the place at a bad week or what, but where others have raved about the service and the people, I found most to be less than friendly, bored, and not customer oriented. Some were great, but most below average. This was VERY different from Sandals where I've found most people to be overly friendly and always wanting to please you.

My final disappointment was with the pool area. A small pool where tons of people congregated. Again, compared to other resorts with multiple pool areas, I kept looking for a nice place to get away from others. In the end, that ended up being the beach.

The beach is beautiful and there are plenty of lounge chairs. The nude beach is segregated so you won't be bothered (by it, or by others if you were in it). When we were there only a handful of people were in this section. We didn't join them!

Overall, I would not return to Couples Negril as it is definitely not value for money. Of all the AI places I've been, I'd now return to Punta Cana and the Paradissus as my first choice. Beautiful resort, excellent service, and a spectacular beach.

13  Thank jskyler
Reviewed July 17, 2009

My husband and I went to the Couples Negril resort on our Honeymoon. The flight over and bus ride out to the resort were both fine. Check in was simple, though the girl wasn't as friendly as I expected.

That was the one thing I noticed, being from the South, I'm used to smiles and generosity of spirit by strangers. The employees at the resort (all locals, I'm assuming) did not try to get you to enjoy your stay. It struck me as though they were more interested in getting you to leave them alone than making sure your stay was enjoyable. When ordering a drink, they don't want to chat, they want you to know what you want and then for you to move on. I found this at first a little off putting. but over the next few days, you get use to it and just enjoy the vacation with your partner.

Our room was just fine, though room service was inconsistant. Some days we would return at noon and our room would be already taken care of and stocked. Other days it would be 4pm until they came and brought fresh towels.

The food was good. I particularily liked the sushi at the Asian fusion restaurant. The reservation only restaurant was entirely too hot inside for us to enjoy our meal though. And compounding the stiffling heat was also the velvet seats - very uncomfortable. All the dining except the reservation only restaurant and the Asian Fusion were open air and sometimes it was hot. The buffet always had something we liked though, and there was variety.

Entertainment was a joke. I almost felt bad for the locals who are made to preform Bob Marley song after Bob Marley song. A little too cliche for me. Also, the water sports were a frustrating experience for us as in the afternoon it would always storm (which was alright, it was a honeymoon and most people spent the afternoon in the hotel.... smoking or doing other activities). So many times our activities got canceled due to weather, and then we were unable to re-book because they made you reserve one day in advance, which some things fill up. We had a nice snorkeling trip though!

All in all, it was a relaxing holiday. We wish we had stayed longer, as it took us a day or so to get into the mindset needed to enjoy the holiday properly.

The beach was lovely, clear and still. The floats provided on the loungers were divine. Another mild complaint is that we would arrive at the beach and pick loungers in the front row (there are loungers about 4 deep on the beach), and then others would move loungers in front of us, thus ruining our view.

The flora about the resort was great - very interesting tropical plants! The loud frogs and crickets didn't bother us a bit- we enjoyed their orchestra!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Lizounette
Reviewed July 15, 2009

I had a great time at Couples Negril. I would go back in a second. I went with my husband and another couple friend. We also had friends at CSA that came over for a day to hang out at CN and had a great time too. I have been to Mexico 4 times, a cruise, USVI 3 times. I was a little scared Jamaica would be like Mexico but it was so different. It was more of a real Caribbean feel than Mexico which I love.

Arrival: You get cold lemon towels and champagne that are so wonderful after being in an airport and bus all day. The bus ride was about 1 1/2 with a stop and some traffic in Mo Bay.
Rooms: I thought the rooms were great. Had everything we needed. We got a garden room but think we received an upgrade since we could see the ocean if we leaned over the balcony. We were in room block 1 which was so close to everything it was perfect for us.
Spa: had a massage on the second day for 25 mins. It was great just wish it had been longer.
Excursions: Ricks Cafe is the first place we went they drop you off for 3 hours and honestly after about 30 mins I was ready to go. It is a tourist trap. The Catatmaran was so much fun though definitely go on this. The rum punch is strong though just a tip : ) And last our friend rented the scuba boat for us to have a private boat tour on the last day. It was amazing I would recommend looking into this they will take you anywhere!
Food: Never had better food at an AI or Cruise. The food was fantastic. Lobster on Friday should not be missed it was better than I have had ever. The "reservations" restaurant is really worth it too. It was really good food. We also ate at Lychee which was my favorite and wish we had ate at in the beginning of the week cause we would have went back. We also had omelets everyday that were tasty!
Activities: You can be involved or not at this resort. We like to be involved so we played pool volleyball everyday and participated in the couples "honeymooners" game. It is fun to get involved meet people and you also win couples money to spend at the auction and casino.
Staff/Service: This is the reason to go back. They have the best service I have ever had anywhere I have ever been. I talked to and made many friends!
Overall I was really sad to leave. I was only there for 5 nights and would recommend going for at least 7. I would recommend this place to anyone!

11  Thank madisonsteel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#7 of 80 in Negril
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Negril? Share your experiences!