“Fabulous Honeymoon location! We LOVED everything!”
Review of Couples Negril

Couples Negril
Ranked #8 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed May 16, 2009

My new husband and I have traveled all over the world, but this was our first all-inclusive. Having included activities, calm clear water, top shelf drinks, adults only and quality a la carte (vs all buffet) were some of our key compenents when choosing a resort. Couples Negril was a perfect choice for us. We loved that we did not have to worry about anything, but enjoying ourselves.

The staff was ver accommodating and friendly! The beverages were so tasty and very abundant. We enjoyed all the activities from the catamaran cruise, glass bottom boats, snorkel, hobie cat, kayaks, scuba, etc. The room was clean and adequate. W had a standard room and it was great. the bed was a bit too firm for my taste, but I asked for an extra duvet and put it on the mattress. I slept comfortably every night afterwards.

We loved that it was an adults only resort and felt very comfortable and safe in the surroundings. The beach was stunning. It was like a swimming pool. Very calm and clear. GORGEOUS.

We loved the setting so much that we had a vow ceremony on the beach; just one week after our big wedding back home. It was really nice and very romantic.

We also took advantage of the spa. We had a couples massage and many other treatments. The staff is very good and the massages where fantastic!

oh, and the food! YUMMY! I think we gained 5 punds just from eating 3 huge meals a day. THe omlettes in the morning are delicious. I also like the meat pies from the grill. and we loved Lychee. We ate there three times.

We loved everything about the resort and would highly recommend it, especially as a honeymoon destination.

3  Thank mintve13
Write a ReviewReviews (4,450)

Reviewed May 16, 2009

Hotel is overall very good hotel bedrooms are excellent 5* but unfortunatlly the bathrooms let them down they are of very poor quality i dont even think they would get a 2* grade.Beach is very nice calm sea and warm waters and plenty of beds.Pool is nice but a bit grubby in places could do with a repaint in places.Cocktails what can i say you can get just about anything you want, food is very good in the al a cart resturants and service is excellant we would have liked too have left tips for the excellant service but the room information sheet says there is a strictly no tipping policy and did not see anyone tipping.We only did two trips dunns river which was 3hrs away but well worth it and ricks cafe which was lovely and gets the best sunsets.There is a craft market across the road from the hotel with about a dozen stalls but they all sell the same things and you are practically dragged in every one and hounded till you buy something its not good and we were glad to get back too the hotel.Overall holiday was very good try not too be to dissappointed by the bathrooms and some of the areas that could do with a makeover and enjoy the excellant food,beach and service.The spa is good we got a tree house massage be careful though when you book and double check it is in the tree house because they got our booking wrong and tried too give us seperate massages in rooms and we had too rebook thier mistake though.Games room is good there is pool, chess, draughts,slot machines, large tele and a popcorn machine. there are very pretty ponds in the grounds with lots of fish and a turtle we loved feeding the fish with popcorn and bread beware the birds though they wait for you to put the bread in and swoop in and catch the fish.

3  Thank blacktulip2810
Reviewed May 14, 2009

My husband and I were there from 3/16 - 3/23 and I agree to all the other positive reviews - beautiful place, wonderful food and excellent staff. My husband did NOT want to go to Jamaica so I had to keep my fingers crossed that this place was going to be so wonderful, he'd be able to admit he had incorrect assumptions about it. He wants to go back next year.

We had stayed at Excellence, Mayan Riveria, Mexico last year and the place was luxurious with all its marble floors, staircases, huge pool(s), etc. so it was going to take alot to impress us. I had requested a 2nd or 3rd floor room so that took a little additional time so we went to go check out the place. When we got to the pool, I was like "Is this the only pool?" I couldn't believe how small it was! Come to find out, the resort itself is quite small in comparison to others we'd be to. There was cracked paint here and there and some other little details that looked like they could use repair - oh, boy I thought this is not good.

We get to our room which is back by the tennis courts - and the road. All the honking and exhaust was making me very unhappy as we were led up to the 3rd floor room. The room was nice - not posh, but nice. We sat on the balcony discussing whether or not we'd made a mistake and I thought I would never live down my choice to come here.

By the end of our first full day, we got it. It's not about flash and fancy, it's about relaxing and decompressing. The beach is beautiful and the water crystal clear. The pool never felt crowded and I was in it every day. The food was better than any other AI we'd been to - I was really pleasantly surprised!

We came to appreciate the people and culture and the cracks in the paint and other small imperfections became part of the charm. The sunsets are AMAZING - so serene to sit at the grill bar with a cocktail and watch the sun set... Turns out once we got in our room, we couldn't even hear the cars or smell the exhaust. And an advantage to being at a smaller resort was that we'd see the same people day after day - we made LOTS of friends and hope to see them again - SAME TIME, NEXT YEAR!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jerzzgirl33
Reviewed May 13, 2009

Oh my goodness! What a great place. First of all, I don't see how anyone could give this place or the FOOD a bad review. The food was amazing! So good I gained 10 lbs, but oh well, it was worth it. The beach is absolutely beautiful. Crystal clear warm ocean with beautiful white, clean sand. Couples takes such great care of the grounds. Everything is so beautiful. We walked the beach and noticed other resorts nearby and they don't even compare to Couples. The other resorts had gaudy colors with very ugly beach chairs to boot. I know that is not a big deal but Couples takes everything into consideration. They have white beach chairs and floats which blend in with the beach so you don't have a terrible eyesore every time you walk back in from the ocean. Whenever we would walk by the other resorts we noticed the very bright green chairs ( and other colors from other resorts) which totally messed up the scenery. It's the little things that Couples takes care of. We were also very impressed with Couples' commitment to beautify and take care of the environment. In a place where people seem to throw their trash anywhere, its nice to see a resort that takes pride and care of the environment around them. The staff was amazing. We have never felt so pampered in our lives. I don't think No is something you will hear at Couples. Everything is "no problem". I can't say enough about this place. Every day we would wake up and walk to the beach and still be amazed at how beautiful the place was. It seemed like we were always noticing something new each day. The Spa was amazing. We had spa credit so I got two massages, a facial and a seaweed wrap. Heaven! Karin in the spa was such a sweetheart.
I only have two complaints from the trip. First, we thought the dinner band should have been more lively. They seemed to put us to sleep. Second, the bars relied too heavily on the pre-made pina colada and strawberry(?) slushie mixture to make their drinks. The bartenders in the Cassava Terrace really knew how to make a drink and actually made their pina coladas.

5  Thank DandMAsheville
Reviewed May 12, 2009

It's a bit of a toss up between Couples Negril and Couples Swept away...both favourites in Negril with absolutely zero complaints...who could ask for anything more.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 10, 2009

My husband and I celebrated our 2nd Anniversary at Couples from May 2nd - May 9th, 2009. It was our first visit to CN and we had high hopes after reading the reviews here. We were not disappointed in any category. We were looking for fun, relaxation, pampering, peace, good food, good people, sunshine, service, romance and adventure. Yes, the food was awesome, the drinks continuous and made upon and as requested Accommodations were fine and blended with the culture of Jamaica which we loved...and we recommend the catamaran cruise (awesome), horseback riding (still sore but worth it), and the couples massage in the tree hut (oh my goodness). We received a room upgrade when we arrived, $500 in credits, a bottle of champagne and service like we have not seen or experienced in any of our travels. While EVERYONE was totally focused on ensuring the guests needs were a priority, there are a few people we must call out by name: Albert the towel guy is simply adorable and laughs with his eyes, Davia at the Grill we considered bringing home with us, her spirit, talent and smile are incredible. Andrew was on top of his game even though he did not feel well so everyone else could have a great time and Annique in the cassava dining room should be paid more and promoted although she is fairly new, her remarkable smile and refreshing personality added sunshine to each encounter with her!

We were simply spoiled rotten by the staff, loved the food, went shopping, did karoke, took the language class, volleyball, casino, and jet ski. Two previous comments I would agree with are: Otentarite Restaurant left something to be desired and the resident band was boring. However, the Lychee restaurant and Steel band made up for both so everything was still irie mon! The weather was great and the other couples were an added delight. I have pics for the couple who joined us on the catamaran: [--] - email me and I will send them.

Couples Negril Management and Staff, thank you for taking such good care of us and making our 2nd Anniversary a "no problem" sensation. We will definitely be back!

9  Thank Panamapair
Reviewed May 10, 2009

We went to Couples Negril for our honeymoon. It was fantastic! The staff is great, the grounds are beautiful, and the food was fabulous. My husband wanted to dive since he was already certified and wanted me to try it. I went ahead and did my certification there. I got to work one on one with the dive instructor. That was just how things ended up happening. I know there were other dive classes that had 9 people in them, so I was lucky to get started on the day I did. I even had my first ocean dive one on one. The dive shop staff is amazing. Karl "Sugar" is the dive instructor, Richard and Craig are dive leaders, and Brian is in charge of the whole shop. They all try to make you feel welcome. I dove 9 times and never went to the same location. I heard they have about 12-14 locations, but some of them are only for advanced divers due to their depth. My husband got his advanced dive card and got to go to at least one of the deep locations. Even with just open water one, we still got to go see a wrecked plane that was home to some pretty cool creatures. The reefs are nice and the fish are pretty amazing. We don't get to vacation often, but we are already talking about when we want to go back to CN.

There is plenty of activities to do if you want to, and you can book extra excursions through the tour desk. You can be as busy as you want, or you can just hang out and do nothing if you want. You can easily spend the entire trip on site. We did the Blackriver, YS Falls, Appleton tour. It is a full day trip, but worth it. You get to see a lot of the countryside and that alone is worth it.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank caligirl10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
#6 of 81 in Negril

Been to Couples Negril? Share your experiences!