“Very nice vacation”

Ranked #9 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Bay City, Michigan
“Very nice vacation”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

This property overall was very nice, and has been kept up well, but it is definately an old property, and the rooms could use some updating. The food was top notch, even with just the 4 restaurants. The lighting was unusually dark, actually made it hard to see your food in a 2 of the restaurants, but the quality of food and service made up for it! There was also a late night evening grill, which worked much better than the typical room service, since you had hardly any wait time, and could get everything you need to take back to the room. There is really only one pool, since the second one is quite small, and during a busy time i could see pool chairs being a problem. There resort was probably 1/2 full, and we had a hard time getting chairs with an umbrella, and there are no beach cabanas, so they are in need of more coverage for those who like the water, but can't spend days in the open sun. They had an in room mini-bar, that you could just write down daily what you wanted it stocked with, and even though we put more than the one or 2 allowed, we always got exactly what we wrote down. The spa services were wonderful, but i didn't like the fact that it wasn't indoors, so you could here everyone walking by, talking, and it was quite hot.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dawn-Michigan48706

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,007)
  • Polish first
EM, Illinois
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

I am not sure what I can write that someone has not already wrote. My husband and I spent seven glorious nights at Couples, Negril. This is our second trip to Jamaica. On our previous trip we went to Runaway Bay. Both times when visiting Jamaica we stayed at smaller all inclusive resorts. We have traveled to Mexico and to Punta Cana and in both places stayed in large all inclusive resorts. We have found that we like the smaller resorts.

Couples is very personal. It is small enough that you never have to walk far for food,drink, bathrooms, games, or entertainment yet if you want to be alone you are able to do that too.

The experience began as soon as we landed at the airport. We went straight to the Couples lounge and were greeted with a drink and someone willing to take our picture. I especially liked that we did not have to wait very long for the bus to take us to the resort. The trip to the resort was about an hour and a half. But another plus was that we didn't have to stop at any resorts on the way. We drove straight to Couples!

We were greeted as soon as we got to the resort. It took a little long for check in. But everyone was very nice. This is what we especially liked at Couples, the people. Everyone who worked there was very friendly and nice. They went out of their way to be accommodating.

We found the rooms to be inviting and accommodating. Yes, the bathroom needed some updating and there was not an outlet in the bathroom for my flat iron but it was not a big deal. On the plus, there is a great make up mirror in the bathroom and a nice ledge to keep all your toiletries on.

We stayed in room 8206. It was the deluxe ocean view. We had a view of the ocean in the distance and a small garden with pond. It was the best of both worlds. The location was close to everything we needed. I don't think any of the buildings are too far from anything. We loved starting our day with having coffee, pastries, and fruit delivers to our room. We would sit outside with our coffee enjoying the view.

We spent everyday on the beach. The beach was beautiful. It was always well groomed and never had to save a chair. There was also both shade and sun on the beach. There was a nice breeze everyday and a pool float on every chair on the beach. These came in handy when the afternoon sun became a little warm. We grab our float and headed to the ocean.

Our vacation goal was to get away reconnect with each other and relax. Our goal was achieved. Although we spent a lot of time relaxing on the beach, we participated in many of the extra activities.

We loved the entertainment staff. What I personally liked was that they invited you to participate in the activities without pressuring you. Kiev was quick to invite my husband to play volleyball. We also enjoyed Shawna, Dean, and Neela. We also did water aerobics everyday with Dorothy and Tamara.

I would invite everyone to take advantage of the water sports since they are included. We did the glass bottom boat, kayaking, my husband water skied, we snorkeled, and did the catamaran cruise.

We loved snorkeling. I am not a strong swimmer but the snorkeling was not intimidating so I would encourage you to take the snorkeling excursion even if you are a little afraid of water. There were many things to see.

We also did the catamaran cruise. Once again, I am not a strong swimmer so I did not get off the boat and swim in the caves or slide down the slide into the ocean. But non the less it was a great time. There were many on our cruise who chose not to get into the water. We had a great time watching everyone slide down the slide, swim in the caves, and watch the local children jump off the cliffs.

When water skiing you are given a brief lesson. My husband had never water skied before and they were very patient and encouraging.

The food was wonderful. We loved the food at the buffet. We ate there every morning for breakfast. They have your usual breakfast foods. Pastries, omelettes, pancakes, French toast, waffles, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, cereals, fruits, yogurt, some type of potato or hash browns,and a variety of breads and toast. They also had a smoothie bar and a make your own mimosa or Bloody Mary station. We found the corned beef hash to be amazing! My husband loved getting a smoothie every morning and I loved the mango and pineapple pancakes with coconut syrup. The pancake and syrup choice would change each day. And I can't forget the warm banana bread. yum ,We also liked the blackberry juice and the fresh coconut water straight from the coconut.

The evening buffets were just as plentiful with some local favorites along with your typical buffet foods. They always had a nice assortment of breads, cheeses, salad, and fruits at the evening buffet. There was also a large assortment of desserts. I especially liked the coconut bread pudding. The buffet themes changed on a given night. I honestly can't remember anything particular about the evening buffets. I just remember the food being good and plenty to choose from.

We ate at the Lychee restaurant one night. We both thought it was just ok. We should have tried it again since my husband was not feeling the best that night so that may have contributed to our thoughts.

We loved the Othate (I don't think that is spelled correctly). We liked how intimate and formal it was. We also loved the servers. They were very personable and a lot of fun. The food there was amazing, starting with the appetizer right down to dessert.

We took our own cups for ice and water. The water is safe to drink throughout the resort so you don't have to order bottled water for your mini bar. There is ice available at each building.

We also celebrated with dinner on the beach. It was amazing! I recommend it to everyone. We were picked up in our room at our designated time and escorts to our own private spot. The photographer came and took quite a few pictures of us. The pictures were great so we did get sucked into buying some.

The waves, breeze, and personal server were perfect. We even had soft music playing for just us. The food was once again phenomenal. You had a menu from which to choose which starts with appetizers and ended with dessert. I had the salmon and my husband had the beef tenderloin. We have been married for 34 years and found this to be a very romantic evening. It was just the two of us with no distractions. Don't let the threat of weather scare you. They have weather back up plans.

The bottom line is we will be visiting Couples again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
13 Thank K-teacherEM
Midland, Michigan
Reviewed June 17, 2014

My boyfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed our week-long stay at Couples. The staff was friendly and accomodating, the rooms were clean and well air conditioned, the food was good (and sometimes great), most of the activities were included, and the beach was beautiful. I would go back in a heart beat! The couple we sat next to on the flight to Jamaica was returning to Couples Swept Away because they enjoyed it so much last Fall. Negril is smaller than Swept Away, which has its advantages and disadvantages. Less people meant no lines at the restaurants and activities... also meant a smaller beach and fewer restaurant options, but we didn't mind.

Room Tip: The south side of the resort is closer to the main stage with music and nightly activities, so it ca...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BnG7
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 16, 2014

This was our first trip to Jamaica. I had read a ton of info, comments & reviews, and we finally settled on the beautiful beaches of Negril. When it came to choosing a hotel, I must say we were torn between Sandals Negril, Couples Negril, & Couples Swept Away. In the end, it was because of reviews & recommendations from friends who have stayed at both sandals & couples that we chose Couples Negril... and boy did we choose wisely!
The hotel location is perfect, and the staff was wonderful!
We felt so welcome, they actually seemed happy to have us as guests... thanks again Franklyn for showing us around.

The food and drink were EXCELLENT - Thank you Camille & Ivylyn at the pool bar for your awesome drinks, and O'neill the Trainee for your superb beach service.
Cassova buffet was beyond anything we ever had in Mexico, Las Vegas, or anywhere else for that matter. Otaheite, Helconia & Grill had pretty awesome food too. Our experience was that this was the best AI food we EVER experienced, sit down or buffet. My hubby even surprised me for my 50th Birthday with the private dinner on on the beach! The personal waiter on the beach made for a very special evening.....Thanks for your help Antoinette!

Anyone who is looking at a trip to Negril would be VERY happy choosing Couples Negril.
Please feel free to PM me if have any questions, or need more detailed info.

We will be back !

Room Tip: Bldg 1 & 2 have been renovated & Bldg 7 looks to be near completion.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Mary G
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed June 16, 2014

My husband and I traveled to Couples Negril with one other couple. This is a perfect place to travel with friends due to the size of the resort. You always end up running into each other without having to plan every moment. The snorkeling was fabulous and we look forward to getting our scuba certification so we can do that next time. The beach is perfect and you will always have a place to sit. We took many walks down the beach and as we passed the other resorts were SO happy to be at couples.
The food was fabulous with lots of options everyday. Of course the jerk chicken is one of the most amazing things you will ever eat. They have dialed down the spice a bit but if they have time you can ask for it the traditional way.
The room wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be based on some other reviews. It is very simple and was nice to stay in building 2 due to the updated bathroom. You won't spend much time there anyway. Building 2 was also a great location to restaurants and beach. Not a huge resort so I'm guessing no matter where you stay is pretty close to amenities. Beds are a little hard but if you ask for a topper it will make a 100% difference.
Resort was spotless and for how many guests there are you really don't see much staff.
Activities were a bit lacking and the activity staff didn't really draw you into anything. However, most of the nightly entertainment was good and the bonfire was our favorite.
We would love to travel to different places in the world, but it will be hard not to return here every time we want to vacay!

Room Tip: Building 2 has updated bathrooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Melody F
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Couples is absolutely amazing. Im not very hard to please but I do expect to get what I paid for. With that being said they didn't disappoint. The beaches were gorgeous. The atmosphere was awesome. The resort itself seems a little dated but salt water is constantly causing them to do routine maintenance im sure. The dated part wasn't an issue. The beds are comfortable and the air conditioner was strong and made the night's cozy. The food was unreal. There's a nice variety. One of my favorite things was the breakfast buffet. Huge range of food with a great view. I would go back right now. We went in November 2013 and I've missed it since a week after we got back home.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Knight707
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed June 15, 2014

we were there for 3 nights. i would reccomend atlist 4 nights- max7 nights- less is not eenough, more can get boring.
the beach is beutiful, many food options for meat lovers and vegetarians. the service is just perfect.
would love to go back

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cocogelado
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Negril? Share your experiences!