“My dream wedding”
Review of Couples Negril

Couples Negril
Ranked #8 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed June 10, 2014

From the time you get off the plane and get greeted by the couples employee waiting for you until the time you leave you are treated like family! All employees were incredibly nice and helpful and alway had the warmest smiles. I have been to other places in Jamaica and other beaches but couples Negril beats them all! The beach is extremely well kept. The water is very clean and you can see straight to the bottom in any depth. Food was very good! Housekeeping staff was amazing. We chose to have our wedding on the beach and it was perfect. The wedding coordinator made it all so easy and stress free for me. The professional photographer even used our personal video camera for us. And anyone that has been to CN can tell u that Donnavan ( the daily singer on the beach) is a must see! We actually paid him to sing for us when I walked out and that just put the cherry on top of our special day. Anyone planning a Jamaican vaca should def experience couples Negril. You won't regret it. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: All rooms are fairly close to the beach. We choose a garden view room in building 4 bc of a lesser...
2  Thank TMc0915
Write a ReviewReviews (4,397)

Reviewed June 9, 2014

Let me start by saying that I'm going to TRY to avoid reiterating everything that has been covered numerous times before, however I can't make any promises. Couples Negril overall is Amazing.
Let me give you some background first; My husband and I are in our early 30's and have been to various All Inclusives in Jamaica, Punta Cana, Mexico, independent vacations in St. Martin, and several cruises. We stayed at Couples Swept away for our Honeymoon in September, 2012, and had the absolute time of our lives. As a result of that, I've compared everything to that vacation ever since. While I tried my hardest not to compare CN to CSA, it was inevitable, considering the fact that they are so similar.

SERVICE
The service is SO AMAZING. The employees cannot do enough for you, yet you don't feel like they are waiting on you hand and foot. You start to feel like they are your friends, because they are just so kind and friendly. From the second we arrived, the front desk personnel (kicking myself for not remembering his name because I "made sure" to remember it at the time) went above and beyond for us. We had booked a garden room and requested upon arrival a top floor in building 1 or 2 because of the renovated rooms, and our wish was granted! We then made dinner and catamaran reservations with Marisa, and she was so professional and friendly. The great service simply never stopped. I didn't run into a single grumpy employee at Couples Negril.

FOOD & DINING
I'd love to say that I did NOT compare CSA to CN, however it was quite difficult for me, given the fact that I'm a vegetarian and Couples Swept Away has far more vegetarian options, including a vegetarian beach restaurant. I accidentally assumed that Couples Negril would have similar options, and while they DID try....the food just didn't even compare to Couples Swept Away, in my opinion. My main complaint, that really left us both scratching our heads, was the fact that the ONLY option for breakfast and lunch was to eat at the buffet (or the grill, for lunch). We paid a lot for our vacation, and enjoy being served. By day 3 I was just sick of getting up and foraging for food. Was the food of good quality? ABSOLUTELY! But does that mean that I want to wander around and decide what globs of random food to plop on my plate, sit down, go back up, and never have a good conversation going with my husband because we're always up and down? No. I want to order off of a menu. At lunch, they had a salad bar, which was great. But otherwise, everything was not of the healthiest fare. For example, they had this amazing macaroni and cheese one day. But I don't want macaroni and cheese for lunch because I don't want to feel disgusting....I want a healthy sandwich. This just was not an option except for the one day they had a sandwich station. I realize that CSA and CN are separate resorts, but I just don't understand why CSA has and an la carte breakfast, a buffet breakfast, TWO a la carte lunch restaurants, a lunch buffet, and a grill, yet CN simply has a buffet and a grill. Dinner, on the other hand, was their saving grace. We rotated at their a la carte restaurants Heliconia, Otheite, and Lychee every night. I just wish they would incorporate an a la carte for breakfast and lunch as well.
Finally, the water situation really drove us crazy. I get the whole bottled water thing. My husband works for a sustainable water company whose entire mission statement is to reduce the amount of waste associated with bottled water. However, the water at Couples Negril is horrific tasting, no matter how buzzed you are. It's simply not filtered properly. I am so unpicky about water that my husband makes fun of me when I say things like "oh this water is good! It's kinda sweet, actually!" but this water tasted like dirt. It was so metallic and bad. Couples, please look into Aquahealth or some other filtration company for the benefit of everyone there. It was a nice gesture to have the fruit infused water at the pool bar and grill, but this was only implemented around 10am and they would frequently run out. They need to come up with a better solution for hydrating their guests. We constantly found ourselves wandering around, looking for clean tasting water.

THE BEACH, POOL, FACILITIES....ETC....
The beach is superb, of course. I mean the beaches of Negril are second to none. We observed the main beach, but spent the majority of our time (well....every day actually) at the Au Natural area. It was so incredible to have such a beautiful area virtually all to ourselves. The other couples that were in that area were so nice and we made lots of friends. One of the BEST parts of the AN section, besides the gorgeous new beach bar, was the friendly, kind, wonderful, peach of a human being, Amay the bartender. She's such a gem and gave everyone simply the best service all week.....even though she was 8 months pregnant! She would start out her day by bringing us fruit kabobs and chilled towels. Really? I felt like I had died and gone to heaven. The security at the AN section was really on top of their game. If it looked like a lurker was on the move, they did not hesitate to explain the situation, grab their camera, run through their photos, and delete any photos that they shouldn't have taken as stated on the numerous signs bordering the AN area. We immensely enjoyed the luxury of sunning on this beautiful beach sans tan lines, and the freeing feeling of swimming and floating in the nude. Although there were times that I would have loved to be able to read passerbyers minds, given the looks on their faces upon discovering that they were walking by a nude beach, all in all we felt very comfortable and it was as though we had our own little piece of paradise. When we would happen to walk the main beach when heading to lunch, we almost felt claustrophobic because it was so much busier. The main pool is great, but it would tend to get a bit rowdy towards the end of the afternoon. The little dive pool and hot tub at the opposite end of the resort were nice too.

ROOM
Our room was fantastic. We had a newly renovated room in Building 2, 3rd level, #2308. We were very happy with it. The air conditioner was awesome and did exactly what we wanted it to. The shower was awesome. The lotion that they provide is wonderful after a long day in the sun, and the towels (we used many) were always replaced. The toilet flushed well. The linens were of good quality. The balcony was cute and overlooked the pond and spa. All good things. Housekeeping did a wonderful job keeping everything clean and tidy, and turndown service was a nice touch. We once returned to the room after a long day at the beach and pool, only to discover a bottle of champagne chilling in an ice bucket. That was such a nice touch! We don't exactly remember dinner from that night....but these are things that make vacations like this memorable.

SPA, ENTERTAINMENT....ETC...FINAL THOUGHTS
The piano bar was fun. The entertainment as a whole seemed fun, although we usually ended up in bed before it actually started. Whoops!! The resort as a whole is just beautiful. Everything is so close together that it really feels like you never have to work to get from point A to point B, which was nice. The atmosphere is so romantic at night. We enjoyed the movie on the beach one night. I'm sure we would have enjoyed the bonfire, but I'm pretty sure we fell asleep early that night too. We took out the Hobie Cat for a good hour and a half one morning and had a ball. We did the glass bottom boat tour one day and we lucked out in that we almost had the entire boat to ourselves. The restrooms were always clean. The drinks were always wonderful. The food at the a la carte restaurants was divine. The spa was fabulous. We had a couples massage on the beach and it was the best massage I've ever experienced. Novia was amazing!

Overall, we had an amazing week. The things that I'm complaining about I'm simply mentioning because I feel that it could benefit the resort if they were aware of where I believe they fall short on the lack of a la carte breakfast, lunch, and the issue with the foul tasting water. Otherwise everything was perfect. I would definitely return to CN, but would most likely visit CSA again sooner because I think they have a major edge on the dining portion of the overall vacation. If CN ever decides to open up a veggie bar, I will be the first one in line!!!

Room Tip: Buildings #1 & #2 are newly renovated and I would highly recommend!!
17  Thank KillaFee
Reviewed June 8, 2014

My wife and I celebrated our honeymoon here in August 2012. I spent months researching places that fit our specific criteria and this resort did not disappoint.
Pros:
The food was amazing.
The free watersports and catamaran cruise were great!
All of the evening entertainment was extremely entertaining.
The staff were friendly
The entertainment team was encouraging and funny. They always got people to participate

Cons:
The room was not spectacular but I wouldn't really consider this too disappointing because we didn't spend too much time in the room anyways. We both understood that the climate in the Caribbean is extremely harsh and there was always workers patching and fixing things up.
In summary, I would definitely recommend this resort and we will definitely be back.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Colin F
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Having been to couples 13 times since 2006 (96 nights)... I was sorry to see that things had changed..... rooms (in block 4) are the same, not updated but familiar and ok....some staff remained from the last visit... Great service from these staff who were warm professional and welcoming but quite a few staff were sullen and miserable and some were happy to criticise their working environment to guests.... The change seemed to stem from the top...staff were reluctant to accept gifts for fear of getting into trouble and this forced lack of discretion on the part of guests led staff to be less encouraged to go the extra mile... The biggest issue was the food....
Lychee was great, a new chef and an improved menu...but service on at least one night was awful, sullen and miserable server as well as his assistant made for a poor customer experience....much credit though to Ingrid who made visits to Lychee a pleasure.
Helleconia was a mixed blessing....great service both times but we got so bitten and the creatures hide underneath the decking so please make sure you use a repellant. The menu is also very heavy on Garlic which is great if you like it!
The biggest issue was with the buffet offerings at both lunchtime and dinner at the Cassava Terrace....food had gone severely downhill....very basic offerings....deserts not kept cool..... our last two holidays in Jamaica were at Riu and sadly the buffet was far better which is sad as we love going to Couples.... the atmosphere in the resort is good...staff do a great job....but you need to keep ahead of the competition and not rely on past reputation...hopefully these things can be worked on.... We had some personal issues with the loyalty program...the way on which this was handled did not encourage loyalty at all.... the hotel were happy to treat our two bookings as separate for charging purposes (Charity donation) but not in terms of loyalty rewards...this is unacceptable to us....and as I said does not encourage or reward loyalty...

2  Thank tom w
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

This is the place to just get away, the perfect place to relax and forget about all of your worries, the complete staff was top shelf drinks, the resort had all activities planned for you to enjoy or you can just relax by the beach or any of the three pools or the mineral water pool(my favorite; 0)

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank killerhasch
Reviewed June 5, 2014

This is our first all-inclusive resort trip and we didn't know what to expect. All we wanted was to have a relaxed trip. Oh boy, the vacation at couples negril made us want to come more often to this place. The staffs were so helpful, always smiling. when we checked in, we were told our jacuzzi is not working (an instant turn-off) but they immediately gave us a $100 voucher and a couples massage (well, they got me here ;) ) The room was excellent and clean, well-stocked with all beverages and a hammock overlooking the beach. There were lot of free activities to do and food is available anytime :) Dont forget to enjoy the jerk chicken, my favorite :) there is a small room for slot machines, Table-tennis, and other games. There was a movie screening at the beach, one of a kind :) You will be provided with an itinerary describing different activities available each day and also about the food. They also can arrange for a trip to downtown where you can buy local goods. It's worth trying. the staff took care of all our needs properly. The massage here was the best so far :) We wish we could have stayed longer but we would definitely come back here again !

Room Tip: try to get top-floor ocean view room which has amazing view and breeze :)
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Roamore
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Couples Negril was perfect for us. Our trip was short (May 29-June 2), so we are now planning our next trip "home". We were concerned that we would be the youngest (42 years old) at the resort after reading the reviews on trip advisor. That is simply not true! There were plenty of people there our age and younger. Couples Negril is a fairly quiet place which is EXACTLY what we were needing. We were able to relax on the beach, in the hammock, in our room, getting a massage...it was so perfect. We did make good use of the water sports and the sunset cruise is a must. The Jamaican employees were always smiling and smiles are contagious! Have Santol bring you a "dirty banana" on the beach. We love that girl and those drinks! Latoya at the Heliconia was our favorite and the friendliest bartender in that restaurant.The rooms were PERFECT! The food at Otaheite, Lychee and the Cassava Terrace (buffet) was PERFECT! The food at the Beach Grill/Heliconia was typical hotel food. The entertainment at the Cassava Terrace was quite impressive and we loved the vendors on the beach. We were able to buy local made goods without leaving the resort. The times that my husband and I shared together at this resort are unforgetable! Thanks to EVERYONE at the resort for making our 10 year anniversary trip perfect.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
9  Thank pclark126
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#6 of 80 in Negril
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Negril? Share your experiences!