“New Year's Eve in Negril”
Review of Couples Negril

Couples Negril
Ranked #8 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Greensboro, North Carolina
“New Year's Eve in Negril”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Cannot begin to explain the amazing party CN put together for New Year's Eve! Wow!!!!! More food & drinks imaginable, great music, live bands, party favors, photos galore, the balloon drop at midnight fell right over heads as we cheered and counted down to 2014! Aside from that, our stay at CN was fantastic. We were in a renovated room in building 1 on the 3rd floor- beachfront deluxe. They did a great job on the renovations!!! We will be back!!!! At the repeaters dinner we sat with the food & beverage manager who was extremely personable and a wealth of information! He sent us a special cake for our 10th anniversary and we were lucky enough to meet his wife at the New Year's Eve party. We had an amazing trip!!!!

4 Thank clkbjk06
Abraham I, Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear clkbjk06,

Thank you for your review. Couples Negril is glad you enjoyed celebrating New Year’s Eve with us. We try to outdo ourselves every year with elaborate displays and sensational entertainment. I also noticed that you liked the newly renovated room you stayed in. Great to know our guests are seeing these improvements taking place.

Congratulations on your 10th anniversary! Your comments on this mean a lot, especially to our Food and Beverage manager who acknowledged this occasion.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Abraham Issa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,044)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Although the buildings of the hotel could use a little upgrade, but their customer service was fantastic. The staff was polite and always tried to accomendate the needs of the customers. The food was delicious, room service was delivered in timely fashion. We ordered breakfast every morning and wrote down the time we wanted, the staff always brought us freshly made breakfast on time. Both my husband and I were very satisified with the stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank apple z
Brooks, Canada
Reviewed January 10, 2014

First I want to say Thank you to Jamaica and it's residents for making our experience the best we have ever, yes ever had.Couples Negril is a perfect place to come to relax. I first want to say I have read a lot of reviews on here and see both sides. this is my story. We landed in Jamaica on December 19th 2013 and stayed till January 2,2014. If your looking for a posh, glitzy, stuffy resort move on. This resort offers relaxation, peace, beauty and a quiet setting.There are many water sports, activities to to do if you choose. If not grab a red flag, a chair and take a deep breath cause your in heaven. The location of couples is perfect! The beach is wonderful! The water so clear and warm. Each evening/afternoon it rained as it is winter. The rain didn't ruin the trip at all, on many days the rain was a nice cool off. Food! OMG! Delicious!! House keepers!, Marcia, I love you, your a wonderful lady and I miss you already! Linden at main bar, makes the best hummingbird drinks ever! JJ a groundskeeper even took the time to collect coconuts and cut them open so we could drink the wonderful juice! What service! We enjoyed a couples massage in the tree house, wow having such a wonderful treatment while you hear the ocean is a magical experience. Couples negril has wonderful staff and I hope the managers realize that, as it makes the entire experience a perfect one. The hotel is kinda outdated, as I read but to us it made Absolutely NO impact on our stay. We came to meet the wonderful people, enjoy our trip and relax. That's all we did! So if your confused on when to stay, I'll clear that up too. You need glitz and glam and snobby staff go somewhere else. If You want Jamaican love,respect,service and the best holiday come here!!! Thank you Couples for a trip we hope to do again very soon. Thank you to the best staff I have ever meet, and by the way Canada could take some pointers on how to treat their customers. Yes I am Canadian, and consider Jamaica the friendliest destination! "One Love"

Room Tip: Room 6108 which is beachfront great building to be in , a bit noisy at night as it's by the main...
5 Thank usalways14
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 10, 2014

My wife and I went to Couples Negril after Christmas and over New Years. We are 3-Peaters, having visited this resort 3 times over the last 3 years.
I'm going to write this review with a view for management to please take note, and take seriously some comments meant to be constructive, and to bring you back to where you were.
First off, - I still love this resort. But some things have slipped noticeably since our last visit at the end of 2012.
Some suggested areas of improvement:
- Check-in. We arrived around 7 p.m., exhausted after 12 hours of travel. The drive from the airport had taken close to 2 hours due to weather (rain). Honestly? Not a friendly reception. As repeat guests we should have at least been given a smile. Nothing. Needed more than a cold professionalism upon arrival. Had to ask to get our Reward package (T-shirts) which we had registered for prior to arrival. When you arrive, everything needed for that guest should be ready to go. First impressions are important, regardless of how many times you've been to a resort.
- Rooms. Previously stayed in blocks 8 and 9, which I suspect are newer, and thus I was OK with the rooms, bathrooms. Not great but not bad. This time we were given a room in block 5. Wow, what a difference. Bathroom was terrible. Shower head was ancient and covered in scale. Shower sometimes did not work - i.e. needed to really yank up the shower pull and/or hold it while the other person took the shower. Bathroom floor deeply and permanently stained, toilet missing a screw cover on the seat lid. Another issue - Sheets. A couple of days the sheet change resulted in new sheets being put on the bed that were badly stained. Yes I know they were clean, but looking at the very noticeable stains of someone else's body fluids kind of skeeved me.
Once I got a clean, unstained sheet change, we kept those sheets (did not request any sheet change) for the balance of our stay.
- Staff. Something has changed in a year. The staff used to be so friendly, and genuinely happy. Now you only get occsasional glimmers of this. I'd say at least 50% or more of the staff we encountered were downright surly. Some of the bartenders (beach/pool bar) were unbelievably miserable. One of the things that had positively differentiated this resort from all the other Caribbean resorts I have visited, was the friendly and happy staff. Now - this resort is just like all the others I have visited in the Caribbean. So-so staff, some nice and friendly, some not so nice, some downright unpleasant.
- Food. This used to be exceptional. Now, I'd say it's about an 80%. Sometimes choices simply missed the mark. Some examples? Chocolate croissants used to be remarkable - now heavy and greasy. Only had 1 good day of croissants during our stay. Fries at the grill. What happened? It appears they are now not being fully cooked. It was like trying to eat fries that had been once blanched, but not fried again to crisp up. Not edible. Wound up eating oinon rings during the stay. A pasta dish that had the consistency of Play-Dough. Again, most of the food was good, but this resort used to be about a 95% plus - now it has slipped.
- Cleanliness of common areas. You can't do much about the birds flying in and out of the open air eating areas. But you can clean up their scat from the chairs. You've gotta keep up with this. Too many instances of trying to find clean chairs that were scat free in the eating areas.
- Beach. Still amazingly beautiful. But it seems that a bit of an ant problem has appeared. Little red ants that are biters - quite sharp when they sting you. Watch where you set up your beach chair. You need to look for holes in the sand that indicate the underground ant chambers. You're OK if you cover them up with big mounds of sand, but if you don't - You will find them crawling on you and delivering some nasty little stings. Honestly don't remember the presence of these ants during previous visits. Also, have to admit, that one day the old singing dude on the beach irritated me this time around. Was just a prolonged performance so to speak, and found it got on my nerves. Can't help it though if others around you are encouraging the performer to continue.

So, with all this said why still 4 stars? Well, it's still a great resort to visit. Gorgeous beach, pretty grounds, still good food, some nice staff. Only now, it is no longer a 4 star that was over-reaching itself into 5 star territory due to amazing staff and attention to details, that had a certain magic feeling about it. Now it is just a true 4 star, and not at all unlike many other resorts you'd find on a number of different Caribbean islands. Honestly, I don't think I'll return until the renovations are completed, and I've read that this resort has regained some of their magic that they seem to have lost.

Room Tip: Stay in blocks 8 or 9 if you can, or 1 or 2 which I understand have been renovated.
1 Thank cantrav10
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Hubby and I spent a week at Couples Negril over the New Years holiday. This is our 6th time at a Couples resort, so we pretty much know what to expect. The food is excellent. The rooms are nice, and the beach at CN is beautiful. Service on the other hand is spotty sometimes. Room was sometimes made up by lunch time, and then other times not done until around 5PM, after we tracked someone down and complained. Food at the speciality restaurants is excellent, service though is also hit or miss. When entering one of these restaurants, they have apparently already decided where you are going to sit, which is usually practically on top of other occupied tabled. When we would ask to be placed one or two (or even three!!!) tables away from others, that was usually met with polite refusals but no logical explanation for the refusal. Although we love the Couples inclusives, these kinds of events frustrate us. We scuba dive, and the dive staff is very good. Steve, especially, is very attentive to the dive group and safety conscious. As far as entertainment goes, the music over the week we were there was pretty so-so. Couples, or maybe Jamaica, seems to think loud equals good, so all music is loud, but really not very good. This time we stayed in building 6, in a "deluxe beachfront" room. Yes, we could see the water if we went out on to the balcony and leaned out....and building 6 is right next to the buffet restaurant and stage, so from our room we heard the music late at night, and I could usually hear them starting breakfast with clanking dishes around 5AM. A beachfront room in another building would be a better choice. They will stock the mini bar as you desire and we found mini bar service to be excellent. All drinks are included at Couples - we are wine drinkers, and the house wines are pretty cheap. To get a decent bottle of wine is extra.

Room Tip: Advise them when checking in whether you want to be close to the action (and music, etc) or farther...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank trvelor
Fresno, California
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Finally getting around to writing this review....
My wife and I honeymooned at CN during May/June of 2012, and it was absolutely AMAZING! Being this was our first trip to an AI, I did a ton of research prior to booking, and I was really praying that the resort lived up to my expectations. Well, I am happy to report that it surpassed my expectations on all levels and my wife and I had the time of our lives. As you know from other reviews, the resort is not ultra-luxury, but it is perfect for a beach resort in Jamaica. We felt like we were in paradise every single day.
We did a few excursions while in Jamaica, and they were all great. I highly recommend the sunset catamaran cruise - this was so beautiful. And swimming in that crystal clear water is unreal. I also recommend the night snorkel - what a unique experience. Swimming with the dolphins was my wife's favorite. Well worth it, and you get some awesome professional photos/video to bring back to your friends and family.
The beach is the prettiest I've ever seen. Powdery white sand and super clear, calm water to float/swim. My wife and I are definitely more beach people than pool people, and we spent most of our time just relaxing on the loungers or floating in the ocean. The beach drink service was pretty hit or miss, but its such a short walk to the bar. My personal favorite drink was "No Problems".
We did have a little rain in the afternoon a couple of the days. But this didn't ruin anything. We just went to the beach grill and had some jerk, and drinks and the rain never lasted more than 30-40 minutes.
The food was great! We typically ate 4 meals a day (heck, its included lol). My midday meal cam around 4 pm every day and it was jerk chicken every time! The breakfast omelette station was a perfect way to start the day. We usually ate lunch at the beach grill or the buffet. Dinners were pretty awesome. We ate at every restaurant, except Oteheite. Our favorite was Heliconia because of the variety. We did the private dinner in the tree house on our last night and it was very romantic. I recommend doing it if you are celebrating an anniversary, or anything special.
Overall we loved our time at Couples Negril and we will surely head back there some day. Perfect honeymoon!

Room Tip: We stayed in the deluxe ocean view. If I go back I would probably just get the basic room because t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jbrew3066
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed January 7, 2014

As you see in other reviews, and we agree, Couples could use a little upgrading. The bathrooms are what need the work and I’m happy to say it is in progress. From what we saw looking into the rooms being worked on, they are taking out the traditional tub/shower combination and replacing it with a walk-in shower.

This was our 4th time at Couples Negril and we knew what to expect and enjoy: good staff, a small resort with a quiet/reserved air, very good food and a nice beach.

Two nice new items (since we were there 5 years ago) are the Thai restaurant and the workout room. Both are air-conditioned.

The grounds are still beautiful and well manicured - thank you Charlton!

The jerk chicken at the beach grill is marinated overnight and then cooked over pimento wood. This was our lunch every day. Excellent!

The top-shelf booze wasn't extensive, but there were was a nice representation. The Red Stripe was tasty, but could have been colder. The Piano Bar had the best of the top-shelf booze. The restocking of the in-room mini bar was different and a bit of a pain, but we got used to it.

My 15 inch laptop fit into the in-room safe putting it in at an angle. I doubt a 17 inch would fit. Maybe someone else has tried??? The internet was spotty in the room, some days with nothing, other days I was watching NFL highlight videos. The internet worked on the beach and around the lobby.

We were there with 4 other couples the 3rd week of November and are already booking a trip for June '14.

Room Tip: I'm just guessing, but the rooms furthest from the beach are only 60 - 70 yds from the beach (on...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends