“10th year and will never return”
Review of Couples Negril

Couples Negril
Ranked #8 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Montreal, Canada
“10th year and will never return”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Where do I start.. LoL. We have enjoyed many years at Couples Negril-reasoning mostly because of the Beach. We knew from year one(1) that it was not a 5 star but returned because we are beach lovers and this beach is beautiful. I don't want to write a long review , however I will make some much needed points on why we won't return ever! The hotel is completely run down. It has not been upgraded from day1 . It is in much need of an overhaul. From the rooms -motel style absolutely not a 5 star resort never was! The service is unacceptable for what is being sold to you. The staff were and are very unfriendly. Doing you a favor when serving you. The food ..where do I begin? Awful , repetitive meals, reheated plates that will burn your hand off. The grill -fast food that you can't even consider eating ,inedible. Like I said on my opening comment, won't return.

Room Tip: book elsewhere
15 Thank cindy B
Abraham I, Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Cindy B,

Thank you for staying at Couples Negril over the last 10 years and posting your first review on our resort. I remember speaking with you during your stay and resolving most of your issues. I specifically mentioned that a portion of rooms and public areas had already been refurbished. Property renovations and general improvement have always been continuous here.

Although Couples Resorts is ranked one of the best all-inclusive brands in the Caribbean, we have never defined ourselves as 5-star. Our ratings speak for themselves, emphasizing the exceptional level of food and service.

It is unfortunate that your last of many visits did not entice you to return. We appreciate your consistent business over the years.

Abraham Issa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,038)
  • Polish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We were at Couples Negril from December 24 - January 1st. Let me start with the positives...
1. Beach is BEAUTIFUL and kept very clean by the resort.
2. Omar at the main bar is a great bartender and very attentive.
3. Thornille is the nicest happiest server we encountered at the resort. All staff should look at his attitude and learn from him.
4. The night cook at the grill is really friendly - can't remember his name.
5. Food is okay.
That's about all I have for the positives. Overall, judging by what we paid, the resort was very disappointing. Most of the staff need to be fired, reinterviewed and retrained. Examples of poor staff quality:

1. I was laying at the beach and I asked one of the servers for some water and she told me that water was self serve - there is a self serve station on the beach but I didn't feel like being stung by the swarm of bee's that occupy that area. It was not kept very clean.
2. It's hard to find a staff member that smiles. Every time we order a drink at any bar the staff just stares at us, and raises their eye brows... which I guess is their way of saying "What do you want?" I'm use to bartenders smiling and actually saying "Hi, what can I get for you today?" - NO SMILES at all.
3. When we noticed that the staff looked miserable we asked a bartender if she liked her job and she asked, "Do I look like I like my job?"
4. When we asked a bartender if they had managers she said, "Yes, but we work around them."
5. When my husband went to the beach hut to go wake boarding he saw a watersports staff putting alcohol in his soda bottle. Good thing this staff was not driving the boat, he was JUST the spotter....
6. On more than one occasion we saw staff sneaking alcohol into their purses, or pockets... even saw one chug a beer - Honestly, I don't care if staff are stealing alcohol, just don't do it in front of me. They also were eating off the buffet station in the piano bar, but maybe that's allowed at this resort.
7. For departure day we brought our bags to the front desk and asked for them to be stored until our 1pm car came to pick us up. They didn't ticket our bags, they just put them in the back room. When we went to the front desk at 1pm to meet our car they had us go to the back room to pick out our luggage. There were other people's bags in this room and nothing was stopping us from taking someone else's bag either on purpose or by accident. It was not very organized and we picked out our bags and put them in our car. What SHOULD have happened is they should have tagged our bags and given us a ticket. When the driver showed up and told the front desk they were here to pick us up, the front desk should have gotten our bags and put them by the car. THAT is customer service. Something this resort is HIGHLY lacking.

The thing is, this resort is NOT cheap, so I expected good service. Also, I picked this resort because of all the GREAT reviews on TripAdvisor so was really disppointed when it didn't live up to all the reviews. We even met a few couples and talked to them about the resort and they felt the same way. They mainly were disappointed with the food but thought the food was okay. Maybe the ones who don't have a good experience don't bother with reviews which is why I'm writing this one. If you're use to staying at 4 to 5 star resorts, DO NOT come to this one. This resort is 2 or 3 star at best. I work in the service/travel industry so I know what I"m taking about. This resort is highly over priced. I will never return and will never recommend this resort to my clients.

If there's ONE advice I can give managment, it would be to train their staff to SMILE - Most of them look miserable. Especially the bartenders. Just walk around and you'll see what I mean.

8 Thank MurphyCahill
Abraham I, Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear MurphyCahill,

Couples Negril is sorry your expectations were not met. Your observations have been noted and will be analysed further.

Regarding your comment on the collection of luggage upon departure, there is enough camera coverage to ensure guest’s belongings are safe. I apologize if you felt uncomfortable over this. We have not had any related incidents to date.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Our first time at an all-inclusive resort. For our 30th anniversary, we spent two weeks in December at Couples, Negril. We got to know the staff well and found them to be very friendly and professional. Always a "good morning", "what can I do for you?" and all genuine. As much as you want to do or don't want to do. Lay by the pool near the swim up bar or raise a little red flag for a drink. Play beach or pool volley ball, go sailing on a Hobbie Cat, learn to use a sail board, experience a romantic sunset cruise for two, go scuba diving, snorkeling, a rum-flowing catamaran excursion, jump on board a glass bottom boat, go golfing, learn to make a native hat or basket....... the choices are many. Do them all, pick your favorites or do nothing at all. Heck, it's YOUR vacation, Couples will be what you want it to be. About the only negative I could think of is that after a week, the food choices seemed to not change very much. The food was good, very good in fact, however, it needs a little more variety. HINT: The drinks are very good. Mix it up a little and use your imagination. I found a soft serve ice cream machine and would take a glass of chocolate ice cream to the bartender and have them mix in a shot of Crème de Cacao and a shot of amaretto. After sharing this with others, soon there was a line at the ice cream machine!

Room Tip: Everything is close to everything. We were in building 5 which was on the edge of the property but w...
5 Thank OregonStrider
CouplesSocialMgr, Public Relations Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Oregon Strider,

Congratulations on your recent 30th Anniversary and thank you for choosing to spend it with us in Jamaica.

Our Staff are one of our greatest assets and its great to know you enjoyed getting to know them while 'chilling' out on the beach and participating in the many watersports activities.

LOVE the ice cream mix you started and hope you will visit us again soon to indulge in many more.

Couples Resorts wishes you all the best for the new year.
Sarnia, Canada
Reviewed January 2, 2014

You can read all sorts of reviews to what is available/not at the resort, so I'll just tell you who should go and who shouldn't:

a) If you figure because you paid your money that the staff should treat you like they are servants and are beneath you, PLEASE don't go to this resort (and I don't want to see you there). If you want to go somewhere where the staff treats you like you are favourite family members that they have not seen for years, then come to Couples Negril.

b) If you want loud, crazy, frenetic day activity, wild night life, and high pressure, then don't come to Couple Negril. If you want to RELAX, do what you want, when you want, and not worry about things, this is the place for you.

c) If you want people to be impressed with you for any reason or think you are better than other people, don't come to Couples Negril. If you want to meet other vacationers who are friendly, open, approachable, and non-judgmental, come to this resort.

d) If you are expecting a resort to look like the Ritz Carleton or Royal York, and all the food to be similar, then go to one of those resorts. If you want the food to be like you are at Applebees, then stay on the continent. If you want a clean and comfortable room and resort, and food that includes everything from burgers, Jamaican cuisine, and some fancy dining, then come to this resort.

e) If you want busy and crowded in and around the resort, beach, and area around the resort, don't come here. If you want small, less crowded, more country than city, come here.

We just returned from 10 days and our second trip to CN. My wife says both times I was there was the most relaxed she's ever seen me in our 28+ year relationship. Special thanks this time to activity crew members Kiev, Carlos, and Bellard, to Omar at the main bar, and ( I don't remember her name so excuse the inaccuracy) Asama(?) at the pool bar, and probably the friendliest and happiest person on the resort Wade at the towel station.

Look forward to next Christmas for our third time.

19 Thank Tony M
Hi Tony M,

Thank you for your recent review of our resort . We are delighted that you appreciated and enjoyed your vacation with us,that the staff assisted in making it another memorable vacation and we do look forward to hosting you again soon.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 2, 2014

It was pretty nice. All in all we had a great time, but that had more to do with our relationship than with the resort itself. On Yelp this would be a 3.0-3.5 star place. We liked it and found it somewhat lovable, but for ~$4,500 for 4 nights (with airfare from DFW), I probably wouldn't go back.

I've written a few key points for you:

The good:
1. Travel was easy. Non-stop on AA from DFW-MBJ and the bus ride to the hotel was silky smooth, and allowed more time for beach/vacation. Definitely recommend that.
2. The resort is sleepy and quiet and peaceful, and the grounds are well-kept. It's mostly very pretty, especially outside. Neat plants and critters (lizards, birds, fish ponds).
3. The patrons are couples, so in our experience everyone was respectful and easy to be around, and sometimes even fun/interesting.
4. The gym is big and has lots of (older) machines that work properly. That was nice.
5. Weather was a great mix of sunshine and dark clouds which drop their calm afternoon showers. Temperatures were perfect. Not too hot, but never chilly. I thought the weather was perfect. (12/26/13-12/30/13)
6. Beach is pretty and has lots of well-groomed little and big trees for shade, but plenty of full-sun areas also. Sand was clean. No trash anywhere.
7. Water was pretty and perfect temp - cool but not chilly. Quite shallow, so easy to walk far out. Hot tubs were nice temp but small and crowded.
8. Lots of toys. We went sailing out on a Hobie cat several times - so fun! Good mix of stuff to play with (Hobie cats, kayaks, paddle boards, wind surfing, snorkeling, scuba, etc.) and free boat rides too. Very cool.
9. Best massage I've ever had.

The not-as-good:
1. RAGING party with deep loud bass music throughout the entire region for a public Boxing Day party nearby on 12/26 did not end until 3:30am on 12/27. This is something to look out for, as it kept everyone in the entire region up that night. Apparently this happens every year, so that's a date to avoid unless you want to "party" with locals 'til 4am.
2. The food is just ok. If these were actual restaurants in Dallas, they would not stay in business. The grilled "jerk chicken with coco bread" available at the beach-patio bar (until 6pm) is quite good, presumably because it's actually grilled fresh. Every single thing in the Asian restaurant is deep-fried. In general "pan sautéed" means "deep fried" at this resort. There are no real juices - anything that says "juice" is water, high-fructose corn syrup, some juice flavoring and some real juice. In general you just settle for "good enough" food when/where you can find it.
3. The pool bar and beach bar are infested with bees. We were not stung since the bees didn't seem to be very aggressive, but they're always flying around making you nervous. People with bee allergies would be very uncomfortable here.
4. Mosquitoes are everywhere. I should have bought some deet spray at the gift shop. I have 20+ bites on me as we speak.
5. Staff is 50/50. Many people are happy and interactive (main bartenders, front desk etc), and many are solemn, worn down, and even quite sad. The women working the kitchens seem the most sad.
6. Drinks are just ok. You can find brand-name "premium" liquors (e.g. Jack Daniels or Crown Royal) if you know where to go and specifically ask for them. Everything on the drink menu is sugary, made with well-quality spirits or lower.
7. Twice we had no hot water in our room, once we had no water pressure at all. Frequent power outages. No hot water in the shower at the spa.
8. Mattresses are quite firm/hard. Not my fav.

I wouldn't go back (there's too many options at this price point), but overall a very fun trip! A big thanks to everyone there who helped make it fun.

6 Thank Ryan H
Abraham I, Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Ryan H,

Thank you for your comments. Couples Negril has received various 5-star awards but doesn’t advertise this. Our ratings reinforce our level of service and luxury.

As it relates to the total of $4,500 for 4 nights, you paid $2,044 for hotel accommodation. Therefore, airfare made up the difference.

It was reassuring to learn that you enjoyed your holiday. However, your list of negative points is being reviewed by management. I apologize for any inconvenience experienced.

As you also mentioned, there are many options throughout the Caribbean at a similar price point. But, if you’re comparing quality and inclusions, Couples Resorts offers incredible value. This is highlighted on our website, Couples.com.

Warm Regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 1, 2014

No point in giving a lengthy review-I've just read some of the others and they certainly fill you in on the details. So……what I will say is that we loved the place and will return.( No wonder there are so many "repeats").Our room and bath were lovely. I did have to call the concierge and have them give it a better dusting the first day (very promptly) but after that, clean as a whistle.
I spoke to Abraham Issa (the grandson, son?) about any concerns that I had and was very confident with his degree of concern and his acknowledgement. The food could be better but after a day or 2, you smarten up and know what you should take; the choices are vast. The staff is wonderful and did I love being called "m'lady" (Jamaica is, I believe, still part of the British Commonwealth)- it certainly beats "madam"!

My only problem that would be difficult to rectify was with the temperature of the pool water. I like warm water and apparently many people do because there were never many of them in the water.But, sitting around the pool was so beautiful that I forced myself to go in and when you want warmer water, the sea is right there.
Go and enjoy!

2 Thank SDH112
Abraham I, Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear SDH112,

My lady, it was a pleasure having you stay with us. I’m glad we had the chance to meet each other and speak about the resort. Couples Negril appreciates your positive review and polite feedback. We are also happy to hear that you will be returning. As you mentioned, our repeat customer base grows substantially each year and we continue to acknowledge them as much as possible.

Thanks again for choosing Couples Resorts and sharing your comments with me. I wish you the best for 2014 and look forward to seeing you soon.

Kind Regards,
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed January 1, 2014

My husband and I stayed from Dec 16 to 23. This was our first visit together to Jamaica and this resort. We were very impressed with the whole resort. We booked a Beachfront room and were placed in Building 1 and we were happy with the location. We would likely book a garden view next time as the placement of the buildings is such that the ocean views are paartial and on an angle. We couldn't really see the water while sitting so would not bother next time.

The resort is understated and we really appreciated that, as the emphasis was in the attention to detail and romantic atmosphere. Our room was a renovated one and was appointed well with storage for clothing etc. a perfect size and comfortable. Bathroom had big walk in shower and modern vessel sink. If you are looking for marble, glitz and sparkle this resort is not for you. A bigger priority was being environmentally sensitive.

The beach is beautiful and having the floating chair pads added to our enjoyment of the water. We spent more time in the water at this resort then we ever have anywhere. We never had any trouble getting beach chairs even though the resort seemed pretty full. It seems like there are double the chairs for the capacity which I credit the attention to detail, the resort emphasizes.

The food was wonderful. Appreciate not having to reserve at the restaurants except for the one. I am gluten sensitive and at our first dinner I was struggling to find something I could eat at the
Haleconia and the Team Leader came to assist. I settled on a hamburger without the bun and he came back and advised that the burger was homemade and was not wheat free. They offered to replace the pat with a tenderloin from another restaurant. I was very impressed and again appreciate the attention to detail and service. Gluten free dishes were marked at the buffet. A gluten free item on each menu at the various restaurants would have been helpful and hope the resort considers this.

The entertainment staff were the friendliest and warmest we have encountered and added to our overall experience. We took advantage of the many included trips like the Glass Bottom Boat, snorkelling and catamaran trip and all were fun!

We have stayed at resorts in the Dominican, Cuba, Mayan and Pacific coast of Mexico and thought we were finished with resorts as we prefer a condo experience now. Couples Negril is one we would return to again. We met the nicest guests and found many had been repeaters for many years now and we get it.

1 Thank UnionofBon
Dear UnionofBon,

Thank you for your recent review. It is a pleasure to hear that you had a great time.

The resort has recently undergone some renovations and we will be continuing the improvement process. With regards to your comment to include Gluten dishes on our restaurant menus, we are appreciative of this suggestion and it will be reviewed in detail with our Chef.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you in 2014.