“Almost perfect”

Ranked #8 of 81 Hotels in Negril
cleversole
“Almost perfect”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

We returned to Couples Negril 11/16-11/23 for our 5th trip and brought two other couples with us to share in the love we have for Jamaica and CN.

The airport wasn't bad and we were through immigration in about 20 minutes and then off to the Couples Lounge. There seemed to be more people arriving at the same time than we have seen before but they had it under control and within about 10 minutes, we were off. Vincent was our driver and was probably one of the quietest we have ever had. I had asked for some information and he gave it for a while but then it kind of died off. I really enjoy hearing the drivers talk as I learn something new every time.

We got to the resort and they had our romance rewards gifts ready, and it was correct. We had asked for third floor and got building 4, 4303, third floor as requested. We have always been on the other side of the resort but really liked the view from this room, and it was near the tennis courts and we love to play, so it was convenient. The room was ready, clean, just as nice as we have always found the rooms. Housekeeping kept it clean during the day, and the evening turn down is always a nice touch. People complain about road noise in the buildings but we have been in 8, which many people complain about and I know they do in four as well, but we simply didn't notice it or didn't perceive it to be a problem. It certainly never kept us awake at night. After all the food, drinks and playing tennis, we were lucky to even catch any evening shows for very long before we hit those beds, which are some of the most comfortable I've ever slept on.

The food was as good as always. I like the buffets because of the variety of foods and the awesome desserts. Sometimes in the past the food wasn't always hot, but that was absolutely not an issue this time. The food was hot and fresh and the choices were great. I am kind of picky and never had trouble finding food. Otaheite had some great snapper, and we had good dinners in Heliconia and Casava as well.

We did a private dinner on the beach and Roshane made it very, very special. It was the first time we have done that and it was romantic. The night turned out perfect and I'm glad to have had that experience.

There were many old friends on the staff still there and many new faces as well. One of the things I love about Couples is that the staff always seems happy and even when people change, the service is still the same high standard as always. We loved meeting new people there and seeing our old friends as well. The entertainment staff was excellent...always around and making sure everyone was having fun and knew of activities but never pushing if you weren't interested. We had dinner one night with Bellard and really enjoyed the knowledge he shared about Jamaica, and the history and culture. For a young man, he was well schooled and said that Couples helps train them on some of the information so they don't give out incorrect information.

The weather was great. Not that Couples has any control, but we had one day where it rained 2-3 hours and that was it for the 7 day period. We also did the catamaran cruise (on the day it rained but it cleared up by the time we got to the caves and turned out beautiful.)

We got to spend some good quality time together and with the other two couples who were with us. They loved Couples as well and we really enjoyed coming back to someplace we know so well.

So why is the title ALMOST perfect? Because of something that happened at checkout. We had he resort credits for being repeat guests but had also booked under a special at the beginning of the year giving us 500 additonal resort credits. When we went to check out, they didn't have the resort credits from our booking but I had all the paperwork showing the reservation, confirmation number and all that included, including the resort credits. They kept saying they had to "verify" this. I kept asking why? I have all the paperwork showing it. Kemar came out and explained that he was trying to contact the home office to verify. I never got an answer as to why since I had the paperwork. Then he told me that I should have told them when we checked in. I said you had our reservation...how was I to know you didn't have the resort credits that go along with it? I mean, I booked directly with couples and you would think since they have the reservation, they can keep track of the promotion that goes with it, but even if they can't, why did he make such a big deal about verifying it, when I had the paperwork with THEIR confirmation number, the last four digits of my credit card, showing it was paid AND the comment about the 500 dollars. He kept indicating if he couldn't verify it, we could discuss payment options. I said no payment options, i have the paperwork for this. We had gone up to check out about 45 minutes before the bus left so we could sit on the swing and enjoy our last few moments at CN. Instead, I had to keep going back and forth to check on this and continued to get frustrated, some due to the smugness of Kemar. Finally, the front office sales manager came out and said yes, you do have all the paperwork everything is OK. Two minutes before we have to get on the bus. I don't understand why Kemar couldn't do that either but it almost felt like a power play or some kind of intimidation from him on that. Not something I expect at all from the staff of CN. I'm glad it worked out OK but it ended what was going to be a perfect trip on a slightly sour note. Now I know that if we get a promotion in the future, I will make sure they know about it when we check in (and there will definitely be a next time).

So all in all, the trip was as great as CN always is. It is a beautiful location, the staff, service, resort, accomodations and food were exceptional. After 5 trips, I can never figure out how they are able to exceed the previous trip but somehow they achieve that. We love CN, loved sharing it with someone else and glad they loved it too. It is a special place to us and even with a slightly off ending, we can't wait to return again next year.

Room Tip: There isn't a bad room on the resort
4 Thank cleversole
CouplesSocialMgr, Public Relations Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Hi Cleversole, we appreciate your continued support of Couples Resorts. From your review, we know you had a great time and look forward to hosting you again soon. We do however apologize for the issues experienced at the end of your vacation which we hope will not influence your decision to return in a negative manner.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,043)
  • Polish first
roanoke in
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This was the third resort and the second ' couples ' we have chosen for our Jamaican vacations. Each resort has been unique and enjoyable. Couples Negril stands a tad above our previous resorts and is the only one which we will visit again, most likely in Nov 2014. The food at all the restaurants is very good, with many items being excellent; however, as at other resorts, the fruits such as watermelons, honeydews, tomatoes, etc are not very good. I wonder if someone can explain this to me. The hotel staff was very thorough and attentive to all our needs. The swimming pools were all very clean and the hot tubs were actually comfortably hot. Our room was also very clean and comfortable. One problem for us was the very shallow sink in the bathroom. I don't get it. One item which was particularly impressive was the remote controlled air conditioner - yep, a chiller with a clicker. A problem which we saw many times was the inconsistencies of the mixologists. If we went to 3 bars and asked for the same drink, each one was noticeably different from the others. We were better off stating what ingredients we wanted in our drinks. By the way, the best and most consistent drinks were served at the piano bar. The grounds of the resort were gorgeous. The guided nature walk, which is given only on Mondays, is a necessity. The other activities/events were all started on time and most were very enjoyable. A highlight was the Beach Party with great food and mostly great entertainment - except for the older gentlemen-musicians who were permitted to play for 90 minutes.

The beach is very nice and the water is very warm. Please be aware that the beach seems to be a public beach, with hawkers plying their wares, sometimes rather aggresively. What irked us was that we were stopped and questioned by ' security ' ? whenever we left the beach area in front of our hotel to walk further on the beach toward adjoining resorts.

We rode the glass bottom boat. Catamaran Cruise was outstanding with a stop to swim at caves up near the west end of the island. The return ride back to the resort afforded us a view and pictures of a glorious sunset.

Probably our favorite activity was sunning and swimming at the nude beach. This beach has its own bar and very large hot tub.

In spite of my complaints noted above, we will return to Couples Negril. The good far outweigh the not so good.

Room Tip: If you are not happy with your room assignment, have the staff show you other rooms in the same pric...
1 Thank steve m
Dear Steve M,

Always happy to welcome you home. Thank you for the feedback provided. We will certainly address your observation regarding the inconsistency of the drinks you received. Looking forward to having you with us again soon.
Whitchurch-Stouffville, Canada
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We were 3 couples in April 2013, stayed in partial ocean view rooms on the 3rd floor. They were very nice , clean and spacious. We liked the laid back feel of the room, the large balcony , lots of room to sit and hang out together for pre-dinner drinks. Full in room bar service a great touch.

I understand some say the rooms are outdated, one might think this if you are used to the marble rooms you get in Mexico but we still liked the laid back Caribbean rooms at Couples.
Service was great. Food great. Drinks great. Red flag service on the beach was amazing. The daily beach entertainment was fun to watch as well, cigarette/cigar guy and Donovan made our day .

The beach is by far one of the highlights of this resort. It is stunning, and we have seen some great beaches in past holidays. It is so calm and clear, we saw lots of fish, even a ray!! I liked the idea of the floaties on each beach lounger, perfect to float in that beautiful water. Never a problem finding a spot in the sun or shade, by the beach or pool. No towel cards, always plenty available.

We didn’t spend much time in the pool because the beach is so beautiful. We walked up the beach a few times to the far end, passed the vendors, bought some little souvenirs, they are cool people to chat with.

Nightly entertainment wasn’t bad, the bands that play in the main restaurant were pretty good, nice to sit and have dinner, listen to some great music and watch the show. Fire eating guy was amazing.

What we loved most of about the resort was the size, it was not too big, only a few minutes to walk around to get to the restaurants, bars, pool or beach. It was nice to not have to worry about making reservations anywhere either.

I would recommend Couples Negril to other couples. A tip, when checking out, you will be offered the Mobay club at the airport, take advantage of this it was totally worth it, by-pass busy custom lines and a nice private lounge area with full bar , food, snacks, TV while you wait for your flight.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to have the same garden and partial ocean so not really sure it is worth the upgrad...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank hwtj
Dear hwtj,

As they say better late than never. We are appreciative of your review and happy you had a good time with us. The beach is really a great feature for the resort which you did enjoy and we do look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Burlington, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Couples negril was a very quiet and relaxing resort. A lot of older couples if you are looking for nightlife, stay somewhere else. Food in resort was excellent except for the beach grill, thought that food was poor at best. Room was very nice we stayed in an ocean view on the 3rd floor (walk up no elevators) view was ocean only while standing on balcony not sitting. Lots of trees and garden areas on property so ocean views were not the greatest. They informed us before trip construction on property. The only thing we noticed was some painting being done did not interfere with our vacation at all.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kim C
Dear Kim C,

Thank you for having chosen Couples Resorts. We appreciate your feedback and hope that you will visit again soon.
Brentwood, Tennessee
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My husband and I recently returned from our third visit to Couples Negril. As always, we had a fantastic time! Special thanks to our travel agent, Mitch Toren at Trip Guy, who made sure everything went perfectly! He's the greatest. He even managed to arrange a special dinner for us at Otaheite complete with the staff singing Happy Birthday to us and presenting us with a delicious birthday cake! Thanks again, Mitch!

PROS- This resort has the most beautiful beach we've ever found in the Caribbean. The staff keeps it groomed to perfection. The water is crystal clear and absolutely gorgeous. One of the reasons we keep coming back is the calm waters of Bloody Bay. The floats provided by the resort make for many hours floating in that gorgeous, calm water!
- The decor at the resort is just what we're looking for - it's not fancy but it's the perfect beach resort. Everything is laid back and relaxing. The housekeeping staff is wonderful.
- The size of the resort is ideal. Everything is close by and can be reached within a 5 minute walk.
- The staff is amazing. They always greet you with a smile and make you feel that you truly are "family". Special thanks to Elkie, Ivylyn, Camille, Tanya, Stacey, and the great crew on the glass-bottom boat! What a fun time!
- The food at all venues is excellent. My husband and I usually aren't big fans of buffets but we really enjoyed them this year.
- We have used Club Mobay for two years now and highly recommend it. We also took the TimAir flight from Montego Bay to Negril. Thanks to both we were in the lobby at Couples with a glass of champagne just a little over an hour after our flight landed in Montego Bay!

CONS - We had to leave! Can't wait til next year - we're counting the days already!

1 Thank Susan C
Dear Susan C,
Happy belated birthday. So great to know that you had a great vacation with us and that the staff made it memorable for you. Hope you will visit with us again soon.
Craig, Colorado
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Not a bad resort but for the $ expected better service. Checked in late in the evening what a shock to travel a full day to get there and had to carry mine and my wife's luggage up 3 flights of stairs. That being said the food was great. We never had a bad meal. Try the Asian theme restaurant you will not be disappointed, Service I would have to say was lacking when you are not in a themed restaurant. Remember to bring some bug spray for walks on the beach after dark due to the sand fleas, they seem to be bad this year. The pool was great lot's of folks hanging out and having fun. Resort is small but large enough for some private time. The resort is under a remodel and we stayed in a room that has not been remolded but how much time do you spend in the room when the weather is 82 degrees? Was able to relax and enjoy the sun. This is not a resort where the service was great but the location is great and can be quite and relaxing. .

Room Tip: Building 3 has some road noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Abraham I, Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Couples Negril. We always appreciate constructive comments that enable us to improve our resort.

Let me start by apologizing on behalf of the resort in regards to our bell desk failing to transport your luggage for you. This is definitely not our standard and action will be taken. In addition to this, the service issues you encountered will be addressed immediately. Please recognize that both of these occurrences are extremely rare for any Couples resort.

As it pertains to our food, thank you, we work extremely hard to ensure the absolute best quality and refinement. This is one major area where we separate ourselves from other all-inclusives.

We are glad you enjoyed most of your vacation and hope to see you again in the future. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Warm Regards,
Abraham Issa
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We had a great vacation! Although for what we paid we thought it would be more luxury resort. We could have stayed at the sandals resort for the same price but our travel agent pushed couple resorts instead. I wished we would have tried sandals!!! The pools were nice & big. The rooms were fine nothing special. Average hotel room. The ride from the airport was very very long. The food was very good at the resort and activities were good. Overall probably will not be back but had a good time while we were there!!

Room Tip: We had a great vacation! Although for what we paid we thought it would be more luxury resort. We cou...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lori c
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Couples Swept Away
#24 of 81 in Negril
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Negril? Share your experiences!