“amazing piece of heaven on earth”
Review of Couples Negril

Couples Negril
Ranked #8 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Perfect location , the hotel looks out onto the best part of the beach also...The hotel is decorated very tastefully.The suite was absolutely beautiful, gorgoeus views & so peaceful...

The food was the other highlight of my stay.The drinks were beautiful and free flowing on our all inclusive plan. Staff and service was 1st class..Everything and all the events were just perfect.

Would definitely stay again and would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Serraname
Ricardo B, General Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Recent Guests,

We are very appreciative of your kind sentiments. The pleasure was truly ours in providing that “perfect” experience you related. Happy to note that you loved our décor and food offerings.

We look forward to hosting you again.

Kind regards,

Couples Negril Management.

Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

This all inclusive resort was amazing. The restaurants were terrific, the beach and water sports were terrific, our room was terrific and the staff were all terrific. Oh, the nightlife is terrific as well. I say all that to say, basically this place is heaven.

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank RobJett
Ricardo B, General Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear Recent guests,

Thanks for sharing your review with us. Couples Negril is indeed a great place to enjoy a secluded relaxing vacation, unearthing terrific experiences as you related.

looking forward to hosting you again!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Couples Negril June 13 -20, 2013

Transportation:
We flew AirTran Non-Stop from BWI to Sangster and have continued to be happy with that flight and have taken it several times. Not many stations were open at Immigration and it took about 30 minutes to get through. The really different part for us (after dozens of trips to Jamaica) was that at Customs things came to a standstill. They were actually opening and going through suitcases of incoming passengers taking things out in a very thorough way! I have never seen that before when entering Jamaica Finally someone called our flight # and opened another station where they only allowed our flight. Our luggage was not opened nor was anyone else in our line. Not sure what was up with the other lines. We got no clue as to what was up, but it was very different than every other trip. I can only guess they were looking for things being brought illegally into Jamaica for resale or things not claimed on the customs forms.

Couples Lounge and Transfer:
Excellent as always! Some of the lounges are gone and some resorts don't include transfers anymore ( SuperClubs for example) but the Couples Lounge is still excellent with its own clean bathrooms, free Red Stripe beer and other drinks. We were on our way within about 10 minutes.

Couples Negril Resort:
Check-In was quick and efficient. I was going to request a room in a particular building but they were fully booked at full capacity and we had already been assigned a room in Building 2 in which they had already stocked the mini-bar to my requests in my online check-in. Red Stripes in bottles, Pepsi, Ting, Ginger Ale, Club Soda, Orange Juice, Pineapple juice, Cranberry juice, and a bottle of chilled white wine. On top of the counter was a full bottle of Appleton Run. Every day they filled the ice bucket with fresh ice so that we could make a drink whenever the mood struck us. This stocked mini-bar is included with every room at every level at Couples. I think you can only get it pre-stocked if you are a Romance Rewards Member and check in online otherwise you can still do it, but you need to call and order what you want after you arrive in your room. The stocked mini-bar including full bottles of booze you request, beer, and mixers is a really nice part of the A-I package at Couples Resorts.
Our room (2309) is a Garden Deluxe room, the least expensive category. We always book that category and have always loved our rooms at CN. The room was spotlessly clean every day with a different cute towel creation on the bed. The rooms are not fancy but are bright and comfortable. We were on the third floor, which is what I would have requested anyway. The balcony overlooked the beautiful gardens and the spa area. I love 2nd and 3rd floor balconies at CN. One of the things I love about all the rooms at CN is that they all have ceiling fans! A ceiling fan is the difference between wet clothes drying over night or staying wet damp all week. I wish every resort had ceiling fans. The one down side was that Wifi in our room was spotty, and even unusable at times. This may have been the result of a storm, I have no doubt Couples will have this fixed in short order.

Beach:
The beach along Bloody Bay is simply stunning, spectacular and with less foot traffic that Long Bay. This is my favorite beach ever in all my travels and Couples Negril has the very best part this amazing beach. Every single lounge chair at CN is in good shape and has a clean float on it. At some other resorts it is sometimes hard to find a chair and even harder to find a float and even harder to find a float that is not gross. This is not the case at CN at all. In addition there are plenty of small tables to go around.

Nude Beach area:
The nude beach area at CN is beautiful. They have recently upgraded the bar there and Mesha does an excellent job. The beach area is outstanding and the water is so clean with such a white sandy bottom that I almost don't miss having a pool there.... almost. I do wish there was a pool there but I mentioned this to the GM at the repeater dinner and he explained that space constraints leave no place where a new pool with be approved under the current regulations, which are more stringent than they were 'back in the day'. Both beaches at CN had red flag drink service available, but we prefer to go to the bar and order our own. In addition the main beach has a self service bar that has self-serve booze dispensers and a soda machine so you can make your own simple drinks very quickly and easily. It's nice to be able to grab an Appleton Run and Pepsi as you walk by rather having it made at the bar. It's all good!

Pools: The main pool is very large and very clean. It has a hot tub at each end, plenty of room to float around and a water volleyball court that is in use off and on all day. There is another smaller pool that is quieter, used also for scuba training and it also is set up with chairs and pad/floats. There is another hot tub there recessed into the gardens.

Restaurants: Overall CN has the best food of any resort I have visited, but I know that this is a very individual thing. Some might not like it, but we find it perfect! The restaurant choices are excellent.
Otahiete: This one requires reservations and men must where a collared shirt, long pants, and shoes. Well worth it though! The Filet Mignon was amazing both times we ate there. My wife chose the fish of the day and raved about the Red Snapper and Sea Bass she had. Service here is excellent, the drinks are great, and A/C feels awesome. Very good!
Lychee: This is my favorite restaurant in Jamaica (any resort). I love that it is quiet enough to talk to the people I am with but still casual. I love that it has superb Air Conditioning. I love the food!!! Shrimp and Chicken Pad Thai after some fresh sushi or a Tasting Platter for two is outstanding. This is our go to place. No reservation, no long pants, great A/C, and not a lot of noise, and very good warm saki!
Heliconia: This one is Italian themed and is very good. It is open air dining under a roof right on the beach. It doubles as the beach grill during the day but they put out the white linen table cloths and napkins at night and it is a great place for dinner. Very good!
Cassava: The main dining room is an excellent buffet at breakfast and lunch but becomes a very nice restaurant at night. There are nights when food is served as a buffet at dinner (Beach Party, etc...) but most nights you order from a very diverse menu here too. Much more classy than the buffets for dinner at the main dining rooms at most other resorts.

Entertainment was good and consisted of the excellent house band along with different outside entertainers every night, all very talented. We love that we see the Silver Birds Steel Drum Band there every trip so far.

Activites/Inclusions:
Turn Down Service: I used to scoff at this but I love that after we shower and go to dinner and the shows that we come back to our room to find the bed fresh again and all the towels replaced with clean towels and face cloths. I like this!

There is a long list of daily activities posted every day, and unlike some resorts they do take place as scheduled as long as there are people interested in taking part in them. Arts and crafts, Tye Dye Tee Shirts, Couples Massage class, mixology, Jamaican cooking classes, all types of water and land sports...
The Gym is well equipped and nicely air conditioned. There is also a yoga/aerobics studio area that seems to get a lot of use.
The Tennis program is well run and fun. The club pro is personable and competent and the visiting pro was excellent.
The Piano Bar is sing-along with the piano player some nights and Karaoke some nights. The drinks are great there and the A/C keeps it very comfy!
Sunset Catamaran to the cliffs- Don't miss this! At many other resorts you would have to pay extra to do this while it is included at CN four times per week. The drinks flow both ways and they stop in the water below the Pushcart Restaurant at Rockhouse resort. Here you can continue the party on the huge catamaran, or try the sliding board into the water, or swim into the caves for a look.
There is also a shuttle to a bar on the cliffs for sunset that is included, but if you drink while at the bar you need to pay for those but the included shuttle is a really nice inclusion.

Romance Rewards Program:
This is among the nicer repeat guest programs. After only one trip (if you sign up for free) you get $100 resort credit (we spent ours on a fantastic couples massage) but you can use it in the shops, for laundry service, and a few other things. On arrival we got a package with T-Shirts, Welcome Back Letter, and an invitation to the Repeat Guest Cocktail Party and Repeat Guest Dinner. The cocktail party is in the Piano Bar with great appetizers and drinks. Managers from every department at the resort from the GM himself to the head of the Groundskeeping department, are all there to circulate and talk to the guests. They are keen to find out what you like and don't like as they are always trying to refine and improve the vacation experience at Couples. The dinner was help in Lychee and each group table has a member of the administrative department heads. We were seated with the GM (Ricardo) and had a very informative conversation and a wonderful dinner of Crusted Beef Tenderloin with Shrimp Thermidor (lobster is the norm but was out of season on this trip). My wife and I have been vacationing in Jamaica since the late 1980's and have been to a lot of resorts and I was pleasantly surprised at the GM's knowledge and sense of history about the tourist and resort industry over the years in Negril as well as other parts of the island. All the best GM's have this info and an appreciation for it in my opinion and Ricardo did not disappoint! :)

Romance Rewards members even on their first every trip to Couples can choose to do the "Trading Places Day" at another Couples resort with free transport both ways. We spent day at Couples Swept Away and enjoyed a LONG walk down that part of the 7 Mile Beach (Long Bay) choosing fun bars to stop at along the way for a drink and to visit. It was nice day trip and we really enjoyed exploring CSA since we had not been there since long before it was a Couples Resorts (just Swept Away back in the day!). The night before we left a Romance Rewards departure gift was delivered to our room. A small "Couples Resorts" foldable cooler with bottles of water and granola bars inside. We made good use of them on the trip home!

What would I like to see improved?
Certainly as the resort ages there are things that need to be refreshed and Couples seem determined to keep moving forward. There is nothing glaring that needs to be done because they are staying ahead of that kind of need by routine upkeep and commitment to keeping the place nice.
So the only things I can even think of would be to make sure that the Wifi in Building 2 is repaired (but I know it probably already has been!) and one thing about the beach grill.
The beach grill, serving burgers, Jerk Chicken, Wraps, etc.... seemed extraordinarily slow this time. This needs to be improved. There is no reason it needed to be this slow! The Jerk Chicken is basically already cooked but instead of putting out the jerk chicken orders quickly they methodically filled the orders one by one in the order they were placed. This may seem to make sense, but if you order Jerk Chicken but they won't give it to you until they have cooked and served all the burgers and wrap orders placed ahead of you ...? The food that is ready should be served right away rather than waiting in line for everything else to be cooked and served. Anyway, that is my view of it!

Overall, Couples provides a great All-Inclusive vacation experience with inclusions that are a cut above most other A-I resorts we have visited. The sticker price may seem a little higher than some other places but the inclusions more than make up that difference for us. We will be back and will continue to try the other Couples Resorts over time but Couples Negril is our favorite.

Room Tip: We have always been happy with a Garden Deluxe. I would only upgrade if I were planning to spend a...
4  Thank RHVA
Ricardo B, General Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Repeat Guest,

Thank you for sharing this very informative and detailed review of Couples Negril. We are grateful for your support over the years.

I am sure many persons who are not familiar with Couples Negril can attest that they have gotten a taste of all the wonderful experiences that await.

The service of pre-stocking the in-room mini bar is available to all our guests, once the information is received prior to arrival or the request is noted on the reservation.

As it relates to the Wi-Fi service, we recently had a situation where lightening damaged some of our equipment but we have installed additional access points across the property to improve the signal strength. Sorry for any problems you encountered with this; however, our Systems Administrator is on hand to offer guidance as some persons may experience challenges with their individual equipment and require a little technical assistance.

In relation to the Beach Grill, you made a valid point. We have noted your feedback with great interest and are continuously seeking new ways to improve our service. Sorry for any delays experienced with your orders.

It will certainly be a pleasure to welcome you back home to Couples Negril.

Couples Negril Management.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We came to couples negril in june and stayed for 7 nights. There are not many words to describe this resort or our experience!!! We loved everything about it and dont understand why anyone could ever say anything bad about this place! The staff everyone from the housekeepers to the managers to the groundskeepers were all so friendly!! everyone stopped to say hi and ask us how everything was going. The red flag service and the fresh fruit on the beach was a big plus!! We did the scuba diving and the catermaran cruise which were alot of fun! The only people that we tipped was the driver that done our transfers and the baggage people at the airport. Would also recommend walking a short distance down the beach to the office of nature and try a fresh lobster meal cooked by the locals! They were all friendly and welcoming and the lobster was amazing!! This resort is truly about being a couple and romance so if your looking for a place to party till all hours of the night then this place is not for you,but if you want to spend time with the one you love and be romanced and relaxed all week then this is the place you want to be. Would recommend this resort and will return sometime soon!!! PS... Beach is beautiful!!!!

7  Thank stacey b
Ricardo B, General Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Recent guests,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are very pleased to know that you had a great time and took advantage of the amenities offered.

The Scuba Diving and the Catamaran Cruise are always a plus among our guests, glad to know that you enjoyed the experience as well. We create a balanced environment catering for those who wish to relax and others who want to indulge in a little excitement.

Looking forward to your return.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I'm giving this resort an excellent rating based on the amount of fun we had there with our group and all the lovely couples we met. The playmakers, Ruth Ann & Shaunna are The Best! They seemed to be working day & night everyday and Alway had a smile on their face & lots of energy. The ladies that work the grill for breakfast are simply Fantastic. Franklin is our favorite bartender, alway happy to serve you.
Cher & Duke gave an excellent couples massage (although, $215 is an outrageous price for a 50 min. massage for 2). The return dinner was The Best! but, all the food was very good. I regret never getting a picture of the dessert display at the lunch buffet...incredible! The bands at night were better than I remember from last year. We danced the night away whenever they played.
Bring a water bottle to refill from the cooler as they no longer provide bottled water.
Couples, Please bring back Miller Lite and bottled water & start recycling.

Room Tip: Garden room has always been our choice
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fleurdelady
Ricardo B, General Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Repeaters,

Couples Negril is indeed a great place to encounter engaging personalities and form beautiful friendships. Your kind thoughts will be relayed to Ruthann, Shauna, Cher, Duke, Franklin and the rest of our hardworking team.

In light of our Environmental Awareness Program we have taken the initiative to discontinue using water bottles. This move is seen as necessary as we no longer have a recycling plant in the region. As a result, we have water stations at strategic locations on property in addition to a water pitcher in all rooms. There has been a huge increase in liquor taxation by our local Government as a result we have been forced to adjust our offerings as the costs have become too excessive. Nonetheless, we have noted your insights and will take them into consideration for future discussions.

Thank you for supporting Couples Negril.

Kind regards,

Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I visited Couples Negril in June 2013. We very much enjoyed our stay and would love to go back. I found the service to be excellent in the bars, restaurants and other staff. The grounds crew were always out cleaning, planting, raking. The grounds are so well maintained and very pretty. The Entertainment Staff was excellent and really made our stay what it was. They were always getting us involved in activities and very friendly. Would join you for meals and knew our first names by our second day there. Shout out to Okeno & Kiev! Great guys. It was nice that there was no language barrier with the staff. We have been to all inclusives in the Dominican Republic and there is a language barrier with not only the staff, but most of the guests being European. Here it was almost all Americans and the people were all so friendly.

The food was very good but a little fancy for us in some cases. We are somewhat picky eaters and like more plain foods. We found the wait staff very accomodating when we ordered off menu and asked for foods to be prepared how we liked them. Everything was "no problem" and it made our stay that much better. The beach is phenomenal! Calm turquoise waters perfect for laying out and relaxing. The pool was great too with a quiter side and a volleball side and a bar in the middle. Loved it. Very easy to get chairs by the pool or beach and there was no need to reserve chairs early to find someplace to sit. I found it amazing that the resort was booked to capacity yet nothing ever was crowded. Never a wait for dinner or any meal. We also enjoyed the size of the property. It was big enough to have everything we wanted but small enough where nothing was ever so far away. They also included all the watersports in the price which was very nice. You didn't pay extra for anythign, didn't even need to carry money. Bartenders won't even take a tip as it is prohibited. It was nice to not have to carry cash. I would have to say the only thing that wasn't above board were the rooms. While they were very clean and they even did turn down service, they were nothing more than basic. No luxury and we found the sheets and blankets a little uncomfortable. But in general, we loved Couples Negril and will plan to go back again. I highly recommend it.

10  Thank Gina S

Dear Recent guests,

We are pleased that you found your recent vacation to be a memorable experience.

Your comments regarding our accommodation has been noted as improvement is always an on-going mission for us. Our main objectives include allowing you to feel at home so every effort is made to ensure that you are comfortable and taken care of. Thank you for recommending us.

Do come again.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Fab hotel based on the famous Negril beach , hotel staff first class , have been here several times now , great small nude area for that all over tan , only 5 min walk for late night or day time fun at hedonism 2 Hotel

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank roger190

Dear Repeat guests,

Happy to know that your experience at Couples Negril is always wonderful. Thank you for sharing your review.

Looking forward to hosting you another time.