“Would definitely go back another time”
Review of Couples Negril

Couples Negril
Ranked #8 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Rolesville, North Carolina
“Would definitely go back another time”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Beautiful resort, excellent people, excellent food... A little story summed it up: My gf ad I had the complimentary room service every morning before we went down to the delicious buffet. One day out of our seven they were a few mins late so I called down and they sent up the room service right away and my gf and I thought nothing of it. That evening when we returned to the room to get cleaned up before dinner there was a hand written note and a complimentary bottle of wine sitting in our room to apologize for the mix-up with room service. It blew us away and our week couldn't have been better...

ps, the wine was delicious

Room Tip: Splurge a little for the room off the garden level. We had a few bugs in the room on the second flo...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kevin A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,019)
  • Polish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We spent months searching for the ideal place for our 25th wedding anniversary. After much deliberation, we chose Couples Negril. What a choice! The resort was everything we wanted. Very Clean, excellent service both inside the resort and on the beach, the food was awesome in every restaurant. However, people make the difference. We chose to dine in the Heliconia restaurant 4 out of our 7 nights, Denver, our waiter, made our anniversary special every night. We chose to only dine in his section due to his professionalism, his willingness to go all out for us in every way. What a way to spend a week. Pure Heaven!
Thank you Denver for all that you did to make our time special
Don & Donna

Room Tip: Stay in beach front suites.......well worth the view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Donna H
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We visited Ocho Rios (Tower Isle property) in fall 2011. We returned to Jamaica to the Negril property 9/29 - 10/5 2012. We agree that many of these reviews are accurate so we thought to focus on highlights, suggestions and things we plan to take advantage of on our next venture to Negril.

Highlights of the trip: Repeat Guest dinner menu and experience is fabulous. Beach is far better than Ocho Rios. You are only one hour from the airport in Negril. We found the bed and pillows to be very comfortable. Accommodations actually exceeded expectations after reading Trip Advisor reviews prior to trip. Bathroom was a good size and felt very current and comfortable overall. Red flag service on beach was lovely. Overall the dining is superb. Otaheite does not disappoint.

Suggestions: Don't upgrade spa treatment to beach hut. You can hear beach vendors and you are very close to active walkways. Stay in the spa rooms or the treehouse. The aromatherapy massage treatment is first class. Ask for Novlette at the spa. Glass bottom boat tour is only one hour and very worth the time. Enjoy the hammocks by the beach in the evening. Very few couples visit the beach at night and it is very romantic and secluded. TIP! Sit near security guard on the beach and vendors will haggle you far less than near other areas on the beach. Don't miss the sunset.

Things we will do next time: We met couples who were able to parasail for only $100 per couple. We will definitely budget for that excursion next time. We will take advantage of the snorkeling inclusion excursion on the next trip. We saw gorgeous photos from other snorkeling travelers. We'll extend our trip from 6 nights to 7 or 8 nights (Saturday through the following Sunday). The weather can tricky in the fall with hurricane season and you need more full days to soak it all up but it's also nice to have a short thunderstorm in the afternoon while enjoying a nap. The private treehouse dinner is high on our wish list.

Room Tip: Request high floor if you are in the Ocean Deluxe category.
6 Thank AshleyDeetsReed
Chicago, IL
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I wanted to visit Jamaica for our anniversary and decided on Couples Negril. I had heard from friends that Negril had some of the best beaches and Couples Negril did not dissapoint. The beach was beautiful and the food was great in all the restaurants. The staff was very friendly and accomodating, I believe they could have produced a moon rock if we had asked them for one. I recommend trying the ziplining at Chukka Adventures, the guides were very professional and had a great sense of humor. We will return to Couples Negril next time we visit Jamaica.

Room Tip: We chose a deluxe ocean view suite, we could see some of the ocean through the palm trees from our 3...
4 Thank Blackfriend12
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This was our first time at a Couples Resort(have been to 2 other Sandals properties) and we loved it. I will admit Sandals had more luxury, but Couples had more inclusions for a lower price. Here is a quick breakdown

Food: very good except the lunch grill. Lots of variety but nothing made me jump for joy but i enjoyed everything. you do almost need a calender for what is open what day

Drinks: no complaints here, bar full of your mid range spirits(Jack Daniel's, Jamison, Appleton Baileys). the red flag service was slow at times but you are never more then 30yds from a bar, In room bar was a little bit of a pain(they said they just changed policies) and you had to be in your room. But they delivered in maybe 10 minutes so no issue with that.

"shopping": aka people selling you stuff. Like most people have said, a "no thank you" works most times

Property: Nice, clean, and smaller. not a huge resort, so everything is close and nice for running in to new friends.

Room: had the ocean view room, its a partial ocean view(look through some trees). was told they had all the normal US TV stations(ABC, FOX, CBS). Bed was firm for my taste but the pillows are good.

Staff: very high energy, lots of activities you can do or not.

Inclusions: better then Sandals hands down. Free internet/WiFi for checking in for you flight(do you need to be on facebook that close to the beach), free resort dive course(reasonable price for PADI cert), Sunset cruise, snorkeling, water skiing/wakeboarding

Over all great trip, great resort

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jet_Driver170
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Having used TripAdvisor pretty extensively in the past when deciding where to vacation and what hotels/resorts to choose, I feel like it's time to start contributing... My wife and I have tried to vacation internationally our past few trips before we have kids and over the past three years have been to Mexico, the Bahamas, Paris, and most recently Jamaica. Overall, our experience at Couples Negril was great, but still very different from the other "tropical" trips we've taken.

My wife and I stayed at Couples Negril for 4 nights (Sept 30 - Oct 10) and just got back to the US yesterday evening. I initially had reservations about the dates we had chosen, because everything I read said it was either the tail end of hurricane season (lots of rain) or not peak tourist season (not necessarily a bad thing, but there was the potential for off-season construction noise).

We checked the forecast for the entire month leading up to our trip and, as it called for rain every day, hoped that it just meant "light tropical shower". As our flight got in to Montego Bay (around 3pm local), it was POURING rain. We made our way to the Couples Airport Lounge to drop off our luggage and were greeted with a complimentary Red Stripe on tap. Having been to multiple "all-inclusive" resorts in the past, I knew I would need to bring some money with me to tip with, but wasn't really sure how much to take (I try not to travel with too much cash on me if I can help it). As we gathered in the lounge area to board the van/transport from the airport to the resort, it was clear that the person loading our bags in the van was to be tipped (I thought a couple of bucks was reasonable).

The van ride from the airport to Couples Negril took roughly an hour and a half, which likely would have been shorter without the pouring rain. The ride was generally pretty smooth (not a lot of winding roads) and our driver shared a lot of great information about Jamaica's history with a few scripted jokes mixed in. We stopped at a roadside store about 20 minutes shy of the resort for a restroom break (- - watch out - - a six pack of Red Stripe was advertised as $25.00 US (clearly a tourist trap) before arriving at Couples Negril, where we were greeted with a cold washcloth and a glass of Champagne. As they unloaded the bags, each couple tipped the driver (I gave him $10.00 considering how long the drive was, but saw people tipping anywhere from $5.00 to $20.00)

Check in was rather smooth; we received our room keys to the "Beach Front Suite" (1200 building) and after a brief orientation were taken to our room.

Our room:
I had read a lot of comments about room recommendations that seemed to be all over the place (don't pay for the upgrade, definitely get an upgrade, don't stay by the pond due to bugs, etc...) but definitely didn't have any regrets about our beach front suite. I never went in any of the other rooms while we were there so I can't comment on them, but can say with certainty that our suite had an amazing spacious bathroom with a true jacuzzi tub and I got a lot of mileage out of the hammock on the back patio, especially during the afternoon showers. The air conditioner was remote controlled and worked fantastically (we must have had it working too well, as our windows were thick with condensation during the day). The mini fridge had a good variety of stuff and was restocked per our request daily. The sheets were always changed and cleaned regularly, and the housekeeping staff was not intrusive at all (we never actually saw them, in fact).

Food:
Figuring out which restaurants were open for which meals was tricky at first, but by the second day we had a pretty good hold on things. The only breakfast options were room service (ordered the night before) or the buffet, served at either Heliconia or Cassava depending on the day. The breakfast items were mostly consistent; there was always an omlet station, waffle station, assortment of pastries, croissants, bacon, eggs (hard, soft, and scrambled), fruit, and yogurt. Local specialties seemed to rotate in daily. Breakfast did not dissapoint, and opened around 7:30am each day.

For lunch, it seemed like only the Beach Grill (Heliconia) was open and the menu was somewhat dissappointing. It mainly consisted of burgers, hotdogs, fries, onion rings, and a salad bar. My wife and I aren't food snobs by any means and realize that we were staying on an island, but everything just had a very "frozen" feel to it. I was looking forward to trying one of the jerk chicken stands that I read were located near the beach, but never saw any. We did walk down the beach a ways (200 yards or so) to the "Office of Nature" for lunch one day, where we were able to pick our own lobster from a cage in the ocean and have it cooked over an open fire. It was $20 per person, but the lobster was excellent and it was by far the best lunch we had during our vacation.

Dinner definitely provided the most dining options, and we tried all of the restaurants at least once. Our first night, we ate at Lychee. The appetizer and soup courses were both very good, though the entrees were a bit of a let down. Cassava Terrace had a dinner and dessert buffet (the dinner buffet was somewhat mediocre, but the dessert buffet was FANTASTIC), and our piece de resistance was supposed to be our formal dinner at Otaheite, which we made reservations for in advance. The food at Otaheite was definitely better than it had been at Lychee, but still fell short of being considered a "great meal". Again, we're not food snobs - - I firmly believe that there are different vacations for different reasons. Our trip to Paris had amazing food, along with terrible service and not a whole lot of "relaxation" - - Just want to make sure I'm setting an accurate expectation of things, since that's what I'm mostly looking for on TripAdvisor.

Service:
I don't know that we've ever received better service anywhere than Couples Negril. Anything we asked for was "no problem". I didn't once feel like the staff was on "island time", getting to helping us when they felt like it. Everyone we encountered affiliated with the resort was attentive and responsive, with a great attitude that brightened up even the most overcast days. The drinks from the bar were poured a little light, but if we asked for them to be topped off, it was always the same - - "no problem, mon".

Excursions:
My wife and I did the catamaran cruise, but was forced to turn back to shore when we got caught in a thunderstorm. The catamaran bartender was incredibly entertaining and turned what would have been a negative experience in to a great memory, doing hand-stands on the deck of the catamaran and blaring regae music the whole time. We tried to sign up for night snorkeling, but it was canceled each night due to rain. **We did, however, take the Scuba introduction class and wound up getting our Scuba and Open Water Certifications while at Couples Negril. Karl (a.k.a. - "Sugar") was incredibly knowledable and professional. He took time with us to explain the processes, understood and alleviated our concerns, and made our time scuba diving truly enjoyable. With as many great vacation destinations and resorts out there, I've never understood why people would return to the same place 3, 4, 5, or 10 times. For the opportunity to get my Advanced Open Water Scuba Certification, I would go to any resort that "Sugar" was working at in the future. Luckily, he's been at Couples Negril for 20 years (from what I gathered), so that makes it all the better. There are plane wrecks and reefs to dive to, with amazing aquatic life (crabs, eels, sharks - - and Sugar knows exactly where to take the boat in the event you want to see more or less of something). Hands down, the best excursion we've ever done on any trip ever. Period.

Tips:
If you're offended by the smell of pot or being solicited drugs (pot, space cake, cocaine, etc.) then avoid the country of Jamaica in its entirety. Luckily, if that's not your scene, a simple "no thanks" is the end of it. We didn't find the drug dealers to be rude or confrontational - - it was "no problem, mon". The vendors trying to sell you sea shells, paintings, and braid your hair are a different story. Ask me how I know? I'm the proud new owner of a wooden "Red Stripe" bottle and 2 conch shells. I got better as saying "no thank you" and walking away near the end of the trip.

Couples Negril is much more about the "day life" than it is about the "night life". After dark, we hardly saw another couple on the resort. We really wanted a place that was more quiet, where we could be by ourselves when we wanted, and it was perfect. If you're looking for the party scene after dark, better to look at Couples Swept Away (from what I hear).

When we walked from Couples Negril to the "Office of Nature" to get the lobster, we had to pass by RUI and a couple of other resorts, and only then did we realize how good our resort was by comparisson. RUI was dingy and old, with a really rough looking beach (not cleaned daily, like Couples), beat up ratty chairs - - it looked like the Thrift Store version of a Jamaican Vacation. We went to RUI in Mexico and it was BEAUTIFUL, but in Jamaica - - definitely not somewhere we wanted to be.

Overall, an amazing trip and we had a blast. I'd recommend Couples Negril to any of my family/friends, so long as they were looking for great weather and great service, and not necessarily looking for a "foodie" trip.

15 Thank volsfan006
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2012

5 star all inclusive rersorts can range from the frankly awful to the sublime, thankfully this is closer to the sublime and in large part thats because of the staff who are brilliant, we stayed from 23rd Sept 12 for a week and had a great time especially around the pool bar which is the real beating heart of this place

The food was generally excellent even in the buffet which can sometimes be a let down, and the managers wine list, which comes at an extra charge, isnt expensive. Breakfast is served in the beach grill and is very good quality with lots of choice from egg white omlettes for the clinically insane to Jamaican daily specials of Ackee and Saltfish, dumplings and sauteed corned beef. the 3 main restaurants are the buffet ( excellent ) an italian which requires reservations ( also excellent ) and the Lychee a pseudo asian place that is no more than okay ( great starters but forget the rest)

The only slight downside is the bugs, we got eaten alive and actually didnt eat in the beachside grill at night because of them

In general the place is kept well, but its starting to show signs of its age, lets just say I would describe it as a lady of a certain age rather than a pretty young thing but that doesnt detract at all, I would certainly go back and enjoy its hospitality again, which is probably more than I would say for its big brother 5 mins down the road, but more of that on my review of that site

Room Tip: Try and avoid the garden view rooms, they surround a pond which is full of mosquitos
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mikfag
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,778 reviews

Been to Couples Negril? Share your experiences!