“A true vacation”

Couples Negril
Ranked #8 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 28, 2003

My wife and I just returned from Couples Negril where we stayed for 5 nights and had a wonderfull time except for our return flight or lack thereof on Air Jamaica. Overall, it was the best vacation we ever had.
We will definitely return to Couples, probably for 7 nights next time splitting between the other two resorts so we can see them all and also be able to see Ocha Rios. We definitely recommend Couples Negril

The resort - It is a beautifully landscaped resort set back from the road unlike many others which are right on the road. There are coconut trees all around which provide a lot of shade, even on the beach. The place screams tropical paradise, from the beautiful lobby throughout the entire property.

The rooms- We found the rooms to be clean and comfortable and had a very tropical feel with a nice balcony. I had booked the ocean view room and thought that the slight additional cost (90 for the 5 nights) was worth it. Even though it was only a partial ocean view due to the coconut trees (we stayed in building 7, 2nd floor), it was nice seeing the ocean every morning when we woke up. The only negative was the lack of an outlet for my wifes hair dryer in the bathroom (Couples provides a hair dryer but it's wimpy).

Other facilities- All fine except for the internet room which was more like an internet booth with only one computer! Always a line

The beach - Fantastic! Clear and calm water and white sand. Lots of shade from coconut trees. Plenty of chairs and cushion floats on the beach. There is a huge roped off area for the Couples Negril resort where the water stays shallow, only up to your shoulders at the deepest part. From what I can tell, I think that Couples being on Bloody Bay has one of the nicest beaches in Negril. As others have mentioned, it was sometimes hard to find the towel lady but I think this is a minor quibble. I recommend getting your fresh towels in the morning.

The food and the drinks. Overall, excellent The Otahite restaurant was fantastic, recommend the tenderloin and lamb chops. The buffets at breakfast, lunch, and dinner were all very good. Good sandwiches at lunch too. Excellent jerk chicken in the Beach Grill and my wife says the burger was good too. We also had a good meal for dinner there when it converts to a steak and pasta restaurant. The ribeye and pasta marinara were very good. The only disappointing meal we had was a sitdown mean in the terrace (main dining room) where both my wifes chicken and my salmon were overcooked. The drinks were very good although usually too strong for my wife. We asked for her drinks weak.

Entertainment - Most of the singers were good as was the house band as well as the steel drum band. The beach party was a lot of fun. I thought the casino night was disappointing, not enough going on.

Service - Mostly no problem Excellent service both at the restaurants and the bars. Maid service was good although they didn't bring enough washclothes and towels so we usually had to have them come by again.
They were quick though bringing more towels. Bed turn down service as well as filling your wather container were nice touches

Activities - As others have said, the sunset catamaran cruise was great. We also enjoyed the glass bottom boat and snorkeling trip. The shopping trip was an experience. The trip to Ricks cafe was a lot of fun. The cliff divers were something to see

Transportation - The bus ride to and from the airport was fine, only took about 1 1/2 hours. Seeing the roads there especially thru the towns makes me realize that we would never want to try to drive in Jamaica.

43  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (4,397)

Reviewed August 15, 2003

We are about to go back to Couples Negril having spent our honeymoon there 2 years ago. This place is wonderful and fantastic and we have been saving up since we returned from Couples after our wedding. If you expect service to happen when you say then please do not bother going. Jamaica is laid back and calm *deliberately* please do not complain and spoil it! Order food and a drink when you are halfway through your last one and you will not be dissapointed :) If people think the drinks are watered down it is because your ice has melted - take an insulated mug. The Johnny Walker Black is straight from the bottle and Red Stripe never fails to please. The food is good and well cooked. Sanitation is excellent and the cooks wear gloves and aprons (even in the heat). I have no complaints whatsoever, yes we had some ants in the room but you only sleep at night so we just turned the lights off and forgot about them. I believ the road has been fixed which removes my only complaint about travelling from Sangster (not nice). I would recommend Couples Negril simply because it is friendly, quiet, laid back and relaxing. If you like night clubs are raves then go next door to Hedonism II, otherwise drift off to sleep on the lovely calm sea (don't forget sun tan lotion- STRONG sun especially for us milky white Brits). Oh yes and if you are from the UK then consider upgrading your flight (or fly Air Jamaica as we are this time) as a 10 hour flight is no fun in a cramped seat (*** you air 2000!)

38  Thank Armengar
Reviewed August 15, 2003

We can't say enough wonderful about this resort! The accomodations were amazing. The people in Jamaica working at this resort were the friendliest, most courteous, genuinely helpful people we have ever been associated with. This was our 25th anniversary (so in 25 years we've been around!), so we can honestly say that this place was definitely one of the best! Our room was huge and the bathroom was large enough to hold a dance in! The grounds were meticulously clean and well maintained (a gentleman even raked the entire beach every morning!) The food was excellent as were the drinks. They had the courtesy of putting up a sign every night when the pool was being serviced. There was nothing bad we could say about Couples, Negril...we would go back in a minute! Unfortunately we only stayed for 3 nights there and went on to Sandals in St. Lucia where we would NEVER go back to again. Nothing about Sandals was as nice and comfortable and friendly as Couples. Please feel free to contact me if I can fill you in on anymore!

44  Thank Jeanne H
Reading, PA
Reviewed August 14, 2003

We Were at Couples for our Honeymoon from August 4-11, 2003. Upon touchdown in Montego Bay, things went downhill from there. The airport system is desparately in need of upgrades. Customs was completely backed up (a two hour wait to get through). Then, once we finally got through we were given a lot of backtalk by the van driver before even getting on the van about how a tip is required because this is "my only way to make any money here". Upon arrival 2 hours later at the resort, we found the resort to not mirror the pictures from the internet. We waited over 30 minutes to get our room, and then we were put in a garden view room when my husband had paid for a deluxe ocean view room. We went to the front desk immediately and were told that the next day we would be allowed to switch rooms. During the week, I found that the buffet restaurant was the best way to go for dining. The Beach Grill, had food that had clearly been sitting out WAY too long, as there were lines of ANTS walking around the countertops and if you wanted something made from the grill you had to wait in a very long line because there was only one person tending to the crowd.The beaches were a dissapointment because although they WERE clean on Couples property, we had hoped to walk as far as we wanted, and you can't because other resorts have security in place which prohibit you from doing so.The pool was the resorts best asset. We spent the majority of our 7 days there. Margaritaville trip is a total WASTE of time AND MONEY. We were charged 10.00 US for 2 Red Stripes. We had a huge storm when we were scheduled for the Catamaran cruise, so we missed out on that.We found the Otaheite restaurant (which you must sign up for WELL in advance) a bit rediculous. The food was not that great, although the service was.I would not recommend this resort to my friends or family, and I will never return there again. We were very disappointed.Please also note the rooms are NOT bright and beatiful as they appear on the internet. The comforter on our bed had STAINS on it and there were ants all over the place. The hairdryer is as if it was the first prototype ever invented. Its awful and you can't use a curling iron because the wattage doesn't match up for the plug.You also go thru a GREAT deal of inconvenience at Montego Bay airport. My husband wanted to treat us to first class tickets because this was our honeymoon, and the US AIR workers just walked away from the counter for "lunch" when we got our turn to checkin so we ended up waiting for 30 min until she felt like coming back to help us. We wanted to flip out on any one of the workers by that time, but were afraid we would be taken away by security and not allowed to come home to a better place.As far as we're concerned we'll be happier to go anywhere else for our next vacation.

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 10, 2003

I honestly cannot understand how anyone could find anything wrong with this place. But if you are someone who can find fault in anything or complains a lot, stay at the Ritz Carlton - please! Better yet, go to another island. We only found carefree, friendly couples staying here, and we honestly hope it stays that way!

After reading the reviews on this site, we decided to go with Couples Negril over Couples Ocho Rios or Sandals. We were so happy with our choice!

The ride from MoBay was much better than expected since the road work is pretty much complete. From the time we stepped inside the open air lobby, we were in paradise. Checkin was easy, and our pal Patrick helped us to our rooms. The rooms were exactly as they are in the photos - very comfortable and clean.

The service was the best! See Neal at the Beach Bar for a Dirty Banana or a Jamaican Jewel. Neal always greeted us with a smile and asked how we were enjoying ourselves. Even our housekeeper, Marcia, greeted us by name everyday and asked if we were having fun. You always hear about "No problem, mon," but it's true! Everyone there really says it and means it!

Smile - and say 'please' and 'thank you' to everyone because 1) it's polite and what your mother [should have] taught you and 2) the staff will remember you, and thus, you will have a much more enjoyable experience.

Food was amazing! We tried so many new things, and my husband had jerk chicken everyday. We came prepared with pepto and all the meds just in case, but we never got belly aches. They did have some American food, like fries and burgers at the Beach Grill, but if you're not into trying new exotic foods, don't come here! On our first day we went to the Beach Grill, and I ordered a fish sandwich - expecting a 'filet-o-fish' fozen & fried thing, but instead I got a fresh(!) grilled fish filet with grilled pineapple on top. So go somewhere else if you want warmed over chicken strips or something. They also had tons of vegetarian food.

Water sports and other activities were great! Take advantage while you're there! Don't miss the sunset catamaran cruise.

The resort itself was beautiful - from the gardens to the decor. We basically lived at the beach the whole week, but ventured over to the swim-up bar one day, and it was great too. We only have two regrets: 1) that we didn't stay longer and 2) that we didn't stay up later for late night activities (casino night, beach bonfire, etc). After being in the sun all day every day, we went to bed early each night. We will definitely be back next year - maybe sooner.

53  Thank h2oboys_wife
Westerville, OH
Reviewed August 3, 2003

My husband and I just returned from Couples Negril. We were there from 7/27-8/1. What a truly awesome trip! We went to the Turks and Caicos Club Med two years ago and this was SO much better than that trip. When we read the reviews, the biggest problem people had was the ride from the airport. Well, ours was great. We had a nice, air conditioned bus and the scenery was beautiful. The beach and the roped off swimming area were awesome. It was so calm we could float around all day. And, we were able to see rays and starfish every day. The dives were incredible. If you're a diver, we'd suggest the night dive. I was nervous at first but went anyway. It was truly awesome. Octopus, rays, crabs, puffer fish, eels, the list goes on. I can't say enough great things about this trip. Our room was great, the service was excellent, etc. We will definately return and I'm telling all my friends about it!

35  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 3, 2003

My wife and I just returned from a 4day/3night stay at Couples Negril. u7/31-8/03. Let me first say that you will not be dissapointed with this resort. Besides a few minor glitches which every all-inclusive will have this place is first class!We opted to take a 14 minute flight from MoBay to Negril on TimAir. It was like $60/person. Would highly recommend if the weather is good and you want to save a little bit of time. Jamaica and the water is beautiful from the air! Still can't get over the water and how you can see to the bottom from several thousand feet up in the air. Airport in Negril is a 1 minute car ride from Couples negril. The airport is basically a landing strip and one small building.Upon arriving at Couples about 6:30 pm we were given champagne and checked in very quickly. We paid for a deluxe oceanview even though we were recommended not to because "the views really are not any better than the gardenview". If there is not much price difference I would pay the upgrade to stay in the oceanviews. While there is not a huge oceanview there still is one and the surrounding gardens are beautiful. The gardenview rooms are exactly that. No oceanview and you are looking at very dense vegetation, like a jungle. However, it is still nice though. Rooms look pretty much like the pictures but I thought they were even a little better than that. Overall the pictures of Couples Negril do not do it justice. It is even prettier. We were in building 7. Would recommend trying to get building 6 as it has the best oceanviews. BTW, the room even has a safe and iron and large size ironing board!Food in the hotel was very good! Best all-inclusive hotel food we have ever had. We did not get to eat at Otaheite as the only time we could get conflicted with the sunset catamaran cruise, which I would highly recommend. Lunch and dinner were better than the breakfasts.Bar drinks were very good and very strong. Especially the Jamaican Jewels (Dark Rum, Banana Liquer and Pineapple juice). As far as beer, it is Red Stripe and Red Strip Light (on draught) and miller lite in cans.Beach and water were stunning! Very calm and very clear. Like a swimming pool in the ocean! Plenty of lounge chairs and hammocks.Entertainment, especially the bands were actually pretty good. Although they didn't play enough reggae. Lots of american music.Only glitches were slow drink service at lunch and dinner (for alcoholic drinks) better to go and get yourself. Towel service on the beach was a problem as the towel lady was hardly ever there. Reservations are hard to get at Otaheite and they are not very flexible or accomodating.Overall we were extremely pleased and would definitely go back. Email if you have any questions.

42  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#7 of 80 in Negril
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Negril? Share your experiences!