“Awesome week at Couples Negril”
Review of Couples Negril

Couples Negril
Ranked #8 of 81 Hotels in Negril
nova scotia
“Awesome week at Couples Negril”
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Hubby and I stayed in #3201 Dlx Gardenview room from 5-12Nov11. Room rustic but comfy, kept clean, a/c worked just fine - no complaints. Mini Fridge was not stocked upon arrival per our Romance Rewards online request, but for the most part when we ordered afterwards, we got what we wanted. We really did not need the Rum anyways. By the tennis courts, we heard some road noise but certainly not like previous reviewers reported. Have an extra liqueur before retiring and you won't hear it!

We enjoyed our breakfasts every day; certainly plenty of variety to suit every taste bud. Enjoyed the tomat juice in the morning - it is kept by the smoothie bar area - if you don't see it, just ask as the wait staff is more than happy to accommodate your request.

Ate at Lychee twice; first night we enjoyed Pad Thai which was excellent - hot, flavorful; second time we ordered curry dishes and they were a bit disappointing - curry was served on the side but enjoyable nonetheless - wine service was exceptional.

Lychee was the venue for the Monday night returning guest dinner and it was very good although it did seem to last a bit longer than necessary. Testament to the resort, there were about 60 returning guests in attendance; conversation was difficult at times as the noise level was high-a good sign!

We ate at Otaheite one night and the atmosphere was very nice. I am not a fan of sitting beside my husband at meals - I get a crick in my neck-would rather be seated kitty corner or across from him for conversation- meal was very good and ditto for the service.

We ate at Cassava Terrace (breakfast buffet) one night; wait times were longer than expected due to a couple large wedding groups in attendance; lobster was overdone, but at least it was cooked!

Heliconia Grill in the evenings was very nice; we had two very enjoyable meals here and service was exemplary. We wanted to eat here on our last night, but there was a 15 table wait, so this is when we opted for the Cassava Terrace.

We usually had our lunch at Cassava Terrace as we enjoy the variety and soup options! Only ate at the Grill for lunch one day as we are not big on fried foods - service was prompt and we enjoyed our meal. Nice you can help yourself to sodas, tortilla chips and soups at any time.

Service at the beach was spotty but we did not mind going to the pool bar for drinks; it got us up off our arses! Service at the pool bar was awesome when the guys worked it. When the chicks were on shift, it was very poor, except for Ivylynn - she is such a hard worker and really enjoys her job - some of her peers could take a lesson from her as they deserved to be working in laundry or janitorial with their people skiills. I was surprised they would not fill our Bubba Kegs with our preferred drinks but I understand that Couples Mgmt does not really want them to... so we ordered drinks, poured them into our Bubbas and then returned the dirtied glasses to them immediately to clean... seems like such a waste partcularly when we are trying to be environmentally friendly.

Which bring me to my personal beef this trip.... Karen, the General Manager, advised us at the returning guest dinner that Couples Negril had removed the availability of bottled water as the Negril reycling plant either had closed or was due to close. They have set up water stations throughout the resort to take its place. Now, we visited Couples Swept Away one day rom 10am to 4pm (part of the Romance Rewards Trading Spaces option) and they service "wata" in bottles and have a separate garbage container for the plastic bottles for recycling. If it can be done there, why not at Couples Negril??? We like the convenience of bottled water and were very disappointed, particularly not being able to have bottled water in our room. When I wake up in the middle of the night, I want bottled water, not freaking cranberry juice! lol (princess syndrome)

For the first couple days of our stay the water was unusually rough - we enoyed the waves, don't get me wrong. Once the seaweed cleard, Bloody Bay returned to the glass-like sea we have become accustomed to.

Previous reviewers have commented on the beach vendors being annoying - I recanted the ditty "cigarettes, cigars, cigars, cigars, sunshades; cigarettes, cigars, cigars, sunshades, its gonna be hot-hot-hot, hot-hot-hot" many times! But they were harmless and took a 'no thank you' for what it was intended.

We never had a problem getting loungers with shade at the beach in the morning nor later in the afternoon at the pool. Love the floaties! Yes, some are getting worn, but what can you expect? Try not to think of all those sweaty bodies in the ocean, with lotion, then in the pool-no wonder they are looking spotty! Suck it up buttercups - at least there are floaties for use!

Cannot believe in November we never had a drop of rain during the day - absolutely perfect weather. We have travelled to Jamaica several times during November and never experienced such great weather-we were blessed for sure.

We did not get to the piano bar in the evening; in fact, after dinner and an after dinner liqueur at the main bar,we retired as we were 'done'! We booked the catatmaran cruise for one day but as I felt the seas were a bit rough for my comfort zone, we decided to pass on it. Thank goodness, as folks we met who went on it that afternoon said it was rough and in fact there were guests hanging off the back of the cat feeling ill - glad I decided to pass as that would not have been a good situation.

We met many great people and some duds... Couples Negril lends itself to being quite a social atmosphere; we like that most common areas were in the same area; when we visited Swept Away we felt it was spread out so as not to be socially inviting. I know CSA has a very loyal following and save for the beach, we preferred CN.

We have agreed after 22 holidays in Jamaica, Couples Negril ranks right up there! We are scheduled to return to Jamaica in April 2012 and Couples will definitely be on our radar for a resort. We are hoping for a week at Sandals Whitehouse but our other week is up for grabs!

Would be happy to answer any questions you might have....

denise & stu

Room Tip: Dlx Gv suited us just fine
8 Thank DeniseAtBeach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,038)
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 15, 2011

It's funny we experience most of what we read for reviews. The good and the bad. But the good completely made up for everything else.

I was quite concerned when I walked in the room and it did smell bad. It was a mixture of trees (pine?) and mildew. I'm not 100% sure what it was (maybe a cleaning substance mixed with mildew) but we were sure it was coming from the A/C unit. We aired out the room and it was fine after that. We also did run into some staff members with, shall we say, less than pleasant attitudes. And about 50% of the pool floats need to be replaced. All things we read about before hand.

Reading this, I imagine you are thinking "Why would they go back?" Because all of the wonderful reviews were true too! There were many many great staff members to make up for the few grumpy ones. The bed was comfy and although the room had some quirks it was clean and we didn't spend a lot of time there. And even though so many pool floats needed to be replace there were so many you never had a problem finding a "good one."

Most of the food was good, some was great. The pan fried snapper was phenomenal -- fresh and perfectly cooked. The duck at Lychee was also perfect! We enjoyed lobster night. And I didn't think to go all the way to Jamaica to find a great lasagna, but I did!

But the best part of the trip was the beach! The water was calm and the sand felt like baby powered. The beach is worth going back any time. We also enjoyed snorkeling (we'd like to do the night trip.) The catamaran trip was great, we happened to be getting back at sunset and it was beautiful!

Can't wait to go back!

3 Thank TravelingSue02
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Airport: easy flight in, no hassle at immigration, fast. When you arrive you go to the Couples lounge...FREE drinks from the beginning! yay! Shuttle to hotel is an hour and a half. You get to see the country. Pretty but poor, run down, alot of "unfinished houses" but the guide told us people are still building their homes but it can take years, they just buy as they can afford it.

Resort: easy check in, they take your bags to your room for you. We stayed in garden view, room 4208. We loved the view, garden, pond,birds and you can still see the beach and ocean. It is a little bit of a walk to the main buildings but its so pretty its not a bother at all. I read a review about the "street noise" being bad and it really isnt, the only place you can hear it is in your bathroom as there is no glass in the windows, just blinds that open and close for ventilation! kinda Islandy and cool :) The people are very nice here.

Rooms: are basic, nothing fancy but you dont spend a lot of time there anyways. ONE WARNING~ THE BEDS ARE HARD! Not just a little hard but so damn hard I had to use all the spare pillows and the cushions off the chairs inside and out to make some padding! lol Bathroom has one sink, hairdryer, toilet, shower with tub. Room has bed, side tables,lamps,tv, small fridge, no table in room but a couple of chairs and a small table on the balcony. Air conditioning worked great. A safe in the closet.

Food: There is a great variety of food, it changes alot. My husband loved the food which is saying alot. Make your reservation for the one that needs it, food was great.

Drinks: lots of them and always strong! Do try the Bob Marley shot ( I could only try one but when in Jamaica...)

To Do (ALL FREE): We did the WALKING TOUR TO THE MARKETdown the road, Locals in hut type buildings selling handmade (mostly) stuff, they are pushy and will put stuff on you as they are talking to you! Just take it off and say no thanks. As usual the prices get lower the more you say no. I found that at the gift shop in the Resort they had some of the best prices although not much of a selection. CATAMARAN SUNSET CRUISE: I get sea sick but I went and I am glad I did, wonderful time, drinks and then you stop by the cliffs and you can jump out and swim, they even have a slide on the boat! fun! ( no I didnt throw up) lol SNORKELING: awesome, they take you way out to a Reef and you jump in and swim around...very nice. You can take out KAYAKS, PADDLE BOATS,anytime just go to the building on the beach and sign one out. They will take you SCUBA DIVING, beginners class starts in the pool and then you actually go out in the ocean for a dive!!!

Extras: We went to RICKS CLIFF BAR: they have cliff divers there you can watch. It cost us $15 for the shuttle there, its only 15 minutes away. You can go zip lining and horseback riding, atv riding. You WONT get bored.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are good
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stephanie A
Rancho Mirage, California
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Just returned from week at Couples Negril and totally enjoyed the week. Only caution would be for those only staying 4 nights or so, it really takes more than that to get into real Jamaican laid back feeling. The suite we had in deluxe oceanfront was great (bldg 1) and we enjoyed the ground floor (3 floors) as we had close beach access right out back door. Well kept though no real time line as when they clean room. Sometimes as early as 11am, sometimes as late as 5pm. They restock the bar daily by order card and more than satisfactory. And if you run out, there's a bar no more than a minute walk from anywhere! Top shelf liquor if you ask for it. In room they restock with full size bottles, not mini's and champagne, wine, etc all available in room. The restaurants were basically OK, not spectacular. Asian had good selection of sushi and some good fusion dishes. Their top restaurant, Otaheite which requires making reservations a couple days in advance does have some good entrees but again not spectacular. The Beach Grill is also ok with varied selections at night. We were most pleased with the buffets at night. Themed nights with some real Jamaican cooking, but always something for those not wanting to dip into that. The breakfast buffet was also better than most, with either European style light breakfasts or our favorite, great omelet bar with local ingredients like crab, callaloo (a spinich) as well as the usual. Side dishes were varied with always a couple local dishes worth trying. The only not so good experience was the actual beach service. They provide you with a red flag to put by your chaise anytime you want a drink or service. Unfortunately if takes them forever to make their rounds and really could use more servers. Even one more would have been great. But also, it's only about a 30 second walk to beach bar! No problem mon! The whole resort staff was always making sure we were having a great time and a smile and conversation always. The beach itself is awesone. We'd absolutely go back again. Couples is sandwiched by RIU on one size, and Breezes on the other, and unquestionably Couples quality of drink/food was far superior and this from guests of those resorts. Great for "Couples", lots of weddings, anniversaries, etc. ENJOY!

Room Tip: Oceanfront are far better location than oceanview or garden.
3 Thank WalterInSoCal
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 13, 2011

--------------------------------
What are the rooms like?

We stayed in 2109. It was a ground floor looking out onto the gardens, and it was perfectly located. Just thirty seconds walk out the front door to the gym, internet cafe and Lychee asian restaurant. Thirty seconds walk from the back patio door to the spa area. The pool was just 1 minute walk away. In spite of this proximity, the room was peaceful and quiet. We never heard road noise or pool bar noise.

The room was adequately clean and fresh when we arrived and every day room service did a good job of cleaning it up and turning down the bed. You get a "do not disturb" sign to hang on your door if you are in the room during the daytime and then room service will not come in. But if you miss them, you can call the front desk and get them to come in after you leave the room for the evening.

The bathroom is spacious and the shower has great temperature control and water pressure. Towels and flannels are provided. The resort also provides sizeable containers of shampoo and conditioner, body moisturizer, and body soap (easily enough for two people for two weeks), so you'll only need to bring your own if you are picky over your brands.
There is also a hairdryer.

The electronic safe is very large (approximately the size of a PC tower turned on its side). We had ample room for both our wallets, passports, jewelery, medications, travel documents, watches, cellphones and camera. You just enter a 4-digit code of your own choosing to lock and unlock it.

Also provided in the closet were small robes, an umbrella, a mosquito candle and a can of bug spray, and an iron and ironing board.

Wall sockets on the resort are the same as in America so you will not need an adapter if you are traveling from the US.

The beds are indeed very firm, as you may have read in other reviews. So firm that I could leap onto my side without making my wife even move on her side. If you're used to a bed that you sink into then you may find these uncomfortable. My wife and I enjoy firm beds though, so for us they were great.

We'd read about lack of air conditioning in some resorts, but that certainly wasn't the case in this room. There was a ceiling fan and a decent air conditioner unit... so decent in fact that I was actually too cold on the first night and ended up sleeping under the big heavy duvet.

The mini bar was large and each day you can order one bottle of liquor (750ml) on a bottle-for-bottle exchange. My wife is diabetic and there was plenty of room for her insulin supplies in the mini-bar fridge. The room service never touched them. My only complaint about the mini bar service was that we only drink diet soda but you're only allowed one small bottle of it per day. We tried writing on the order card that we didn't want any of the other drinks (OJ, ginger ale, beer, or regular full-sugar soda) and that we'd prefer two bottles of diet soda instead but they never complied with the request.

--------------------------------------
What about the bug situation?

Practically a non-issue. In our room I saw one ant and one mosquito during the whole of our stay. The only time we got bitten was when we went down onto the beach at night. We didn't feel anything biting us but the next day we had a number of tiny, mildly itchy, red dots on our lower legs - I'm assuming this was the "sand fleas" that people speak of. However, the bites were nowhere near as irritating, raised or painful as the type of mosquito bites you get in a typical Wisconsin summer so they really didn't bother us. The rest of the vacation we used a little DEET spray before we went out in the evenings and never got bit again.

----------------------------------
What are the grounds like?

The resort is meticulously clean considering it is practically in the middle of a tropical rainforest. Each morning, if you get up by 7, you will see the grounds staff using high pressure washers to clean off the pool area. The groundskeepers even rake the beach. One day I saw a guy in a wet-suit in the pool, carefully scrubbing the sides. It's not buggy either - at least not when we traveled in November. There were no bugs in sight except for a few bees around the bird feeders and bars. Even the bees were polite... I never got bothered by one once. There's a few cute little gecko lizards around but if those bother you then Jamaica may not be the location for you.

---------------------------
What is the Pool like?

The pool is the heart and soul of this resort. It is cleverly split into two levels. The upper level is larger and attracts people who just want to float around peacefully. Then the water flows over a foot-high infinity edge waterfall into the lower level pool. The lower level is where the swim-up pool bar is and where the more social crowd tends to gather. My only gripe was that if you're in the upper level pool and you want a drink you have to get out, walk around the pool, and get into the lower level pool to order one. It's either that or be bold enough to try to climb over the infinity edge waterfall, which a lot of people did.

The pool was clean as anyone could hope for. There were never any leaves or insects floating in it. Temperature-wise it could be a little cool early in the morning but by 11am it had usually warmed up to a perfect temperature.

------------------------------
Can you get shade?

I don't do well in the sun. I've got pale skin and I tend to feel nauseous if I get too hot. Finding a resort with easy access to shade was important to me and this is definitely that resort. There is shade EVERYWHERE. In the pool you can find shaded areas from the shadows of the big palm trees at any time of day except high noon. Most of the poolside loungers have umbrellas and even if you don't get one with an umbrella you can usually pull your lounger into the shade of a palm. On the beach, there is even more shade - most of the loungers are under trees. The only place where there wasn't shade available was out in the ocean.

---------------------------------
What are the staff like?

If I have to be honest, the staff were a little hit-and-miss here. Everyone was always polite but not all of them looked happy. A few staff were trainees and didn't quite know what to say or do and some of the bar staff were even a bit 'stand-offish' at times.

With that small gripe out of the way, I'll say that the other 50% of the staff were AMAZING. Jason in the Cassava Terrace restaurant, Samara and Tennyson in the Cassava bar, and Evan in the Heliconia and all of the staff in Otaheite restaurant were some of the names that really stood out for us. These guys were happy, laid back, funny, and professional.

A few guests I spoke to mentioned that they thought the staff at Couples Swept Away and Couples Tower Isle were better - even going so far as to remember your names - but I haven't been to those resorts so I can't compare.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Is this resort good for people with medical conditions, mobility problems or weight/body image issues?

Yes. The resort is compact (you can walk across the whole breadth of it in a couple of minutes) and no matter what room block you're in, you're never far away from the pool, restaurants and beach. There are a few steps down to the beach but the boardwalk has mobility ramps so I assume there may be a ramp that I didn't see that gives beach access too. There are no elevators in the room blocks so if you can't do stairs be sure to request a ground floor room.

The seating in the restaurants varies. Lychee has kind of small seats, so larger people might be uncomfortable in there. But Cassava Terrace has much larger seats including some specifically designed plus sized chairs that the staff and politely will discreetly switch out for you if you ask for them (and sometimes even before you ask them).

This is not a "hard body" resort. There were certainly some younger fitter types there but a lot of the model-looking folks seemed to congregate on the beach. For the most part, the clientèle were just like us - middle aged and out of shape. There was every body type around the pool - young and old, toned and flabby, pale and tanned - no one cares, this is a resort for leaving judgments behind and enjoying yourself.

There is a nurse or two onsite for minor maladies, cuts etc. Anything more serious will have to be handled by a doctor in Negril or a hospital in Montego Bay - so be sure you have your medical travel insurance documents.

------------------------------------------
How much sunscreen do I need?

My wife and I took one large 70 spf spray bottle and one large 100 spf rub-on tube. We used them up almost completely during our 6 day stay. I would recommend each person in your party takes at least one large spray on per 5 days of trip. I would recommend Neutrogena as the brand. Talking to the more experienced vacationers we met during our stay, they swear by it.

-------------------------
What is arrival like?

Have your camera out as your plane approaches Montego Bay. The airport is right on the coast and for a minute you will have a breathtaking low approach over some beautiful reefs and turquoise blue waters surrounded by the lush tropical hillsides of Jamaica.

I'd heard some horror stories about MoBay airport but really there was nothing to worry about. It was a very small airport compared to the likes of Chicago O'Hare or Atlanta and we had no issues at all. The lines were short and the immigration and customs staff were professional and serious but no scarier than the staff in any other airport.

Upon arrival you'll go through immigration, then you'll pick up your bags and take them through customs, then you go to the couples arrival lounge - it's to your left as you enter the main arrival area and you can't miss it because it has a huge sign. You step inside and the guy at the desk will look up your names on the roster. They'll tag your bags and leave them at the door of the lounge until your bus to the resort arrives. It's all out of your hands now... Your vacation has begun. Go to the bar, grab a red stripe beer (that's all they have in the lounge), and start chit chatting with the other people... this is a great place to make some friends for your vacation.

---------------------------------
What is the bus ride like?

Again, pay little heed to the horror stories you might have read about the bus trip to the resort. Yes, it's a little short on leg-room but that's the only bad thing about it. The Jamaican roads are a little windy but otherwise they are paved asphalt and cement and are in no worse condition than typical American roads. Our driver cracked jokes and fielded questions for the duration of the whole trip.

The trip is about an hour and a half... but it doesn't seem that long. You pass through the small towns of Reading, Hopewell, and Lucea on the way to Negril and you get to see some of what Jamaica is truly like, outside the walls of the dream resort. It's a bit of an eye opener - you can clearly see that poverty here is pretty bad. A lot of the homes and shops are little more than wooden shacks on the road sides. Goats and cows munch on the grass along the verges. Street vendors walk down the center of the roads selling bottled water and fruit, particularly in Montego Bay. As you pass by, expect to experience a small pang of guilt as you head to your expensive vacation spot. Despite all that though, it never feels unsafe. Even when you pass through a crowded town, most of the Islanders seem to be smiling and having a good time, or leaning against walls just seeming to enjoy watching the world go by. There is definitely a vibe of 'No Problems" going on - in much contrast to the serious and hectic lifestyle of Americans.

-----------------------------------------
What is arrival at the resort like?

You arrive at the resort in the gorgeous open-air lobby. Your bags will be unloaded (don't forget to tip your bus driver $2-$5, he's not a member of the Couples staff). We were greeted and handed a cold towel and glass of champagne. I was a touch disappointed with the organization of the arrival. A lot of our bus party was milling around a little confused over what to do and where to go. Some of the orientation staff seemed like they were still in training and didn't quite know what to say or do themselves. It all turned out fine in the end though. Attitude is everything here and you will soon get used to the "no problems" creed. Eventually we all filled out a little form with our departure flight info on it, handed over our credits cards for scanning (they are not charged, don't worry), and then given a brief description of the restaurants before being led to our rooms.

-----------------------------------------------------------
What about the weed and the beach vendors?

This is Jamaica. Weed smoking is a way of life here so just prepare for it. Even our bus driver stopped halfway to the resort for us all to stretch our legs and go to the bathroom... while he discreetly solicited a few of us for weed. One couple bought a bag that lasted them a whole week for just $20! My wife and I didn't buy anything though - I don't think it's really that sensible to break another countries drug laws. Spending some time in a Jamaican jail would be a real bummer for the vacation. But yes, weed is there for the taking if you want it.

I had a little knot in my stomach before we traveled, having read that some of the beach vendors are aggressive. My worry was all for nothing. Here's what you need to know - in Jamaica, just avoiding eye contact and walking by is considered disrespectful. The simple and easy way to deal with a beach vendor is this: smile at them, offer them a fist bump and politely decline their sale by shaking your head and saying "no, sorry". I did this for every vendor that approached me and ALL of them were polite and friendly. Most of them would wish me a good vacation and go on their way immediately, one or two followed up with a simple "you sure you don't want to buy anything" secondary pitch, but none ever pushed further than that. In fact, the vendors really gave the vacation some local color and fun memories. In Jamaica, just take care of being respectful and the vendors will clap you on the shoulder and go on their merry way.

One note about the guitar vendors on the beach. It really is worth waving them over with a dollar to have them sing a personal song for you and your significant other. Some are not so skillful, but others are shockingly talented, and it might just be the most romantic moment of your vacation.

-------------------------------------------
What is the beach and ocean like?

Glorious. Clean. Lots of trees for shade. Ample seating (though if you get there in the middle of the day you might have a job finding a good spot). Two days of our stay there was seaweed at the tide line... the rest of the days the ocean was completely clear and turquoise. The staff do their best to keep the seaweed at bay but when the tide is coming in or when there has been a storm at sea, a little bit is inevitable.

The waves were low and calm and the sea was pleasantly warm, I saw a few shoals of small fish. We overheard one visitor mention that they'd been stung by a jellyfish but we didn't see any at all. There is a lifeguard and security guards so you feel safe on the beach. I really can't see what complaints anyone could have about this beach.

------------------------------------------
What's this about a nude beach?

To your left as you face the ocean, there is a small private area (about the size of a Tennis Court) hidden behind a hedge for nudists. It has security guards posted on either side. If you walk down the beach in the direction of Breezes resort, past the nude beach, the security guards may ask for your room number but otherwise they won't bother you. The beach is far back enough that if you wander by you're unlikely to see anything offensive unless you have *really* good eyesight. One couple we met did mention that their room in the #9 block had a window that overlooked the nude beach though.

--------------------------------------
What are the restaurants like?

There are four restaurants...

Otaheite is the gourmet one, you need reservations a day in advance and it is the only one with a dress code (collared shirt, slacks and shoes for guys, summer dresses are fine for women). The food here was spectacular and delicious. The staff were attentive and you really felt like you were in a romantic five star restaurant. Our Caesar salads were made to perfection right in front of us and the beef tenderloin topped with tropical salsa was to die for.

Cassava Terrace was our favorite restaurant. It's open air and you can see the pool and the beach. The high ceiling is decorated with spectacular shell chandeliers and they have a stage with nightly entertainment from about 7:30 onwards. They have an expansive and delicious breakfast buffet every morning, and the evening meals were almost as good as Otaheite. Also, the restaurant is home to some bold and cheeky little birds that the Jamaicans called 'cling cling' (actually Greater Antillean Grackles). These little fellas had a whole strategic plan for sneaking leftovers off the tables and it was so much fun to watch them flying around getting their own breakfasts (they will never come to a populated table but will happily sit on the empty table nearby with a chunk of sausage in their beaks).

Heliconia Beach Grill offers more basic American style foods. This is where you can get your nachos, burgers, grilled cheese, mac n cheese etc. It was all pretty tasty but very simple. We didn't eat here very often, although it is the restaurant with the best view of the beach and ocean. The other good thing about Heliconia was that they are open through the night from 10:30pm to 5am, so if you get snacky in the middle of the night you can nip over and grab a sneaky burger.

Lychee is the asian restaurant. I'm a huge fan of asian food but for some reason this was our least favorite of the restaurants. It is lit in fancy, neon colors and decorated very contemporary and it strives for a posher, more romantic atmosphere. The food was good - especially the sample platter and the pad thai, but the tables were low and uncomfortable, you ended up being seated very close to other couples, and the chairs were a bit of a squeeze too.

------------------------------------------------------
What other amenities/activities are on site?

There's a games room with one arm bandits, a pool table, some chess boards and a big screen TV where a lot of people would gather to watch sports. There's an internet cafe (but I gotta say, if you're checking facebook or work email while you're in Couples Negril you really need to straighten out your priorities!). There's a decent sized gym and a mirrored area for yoga and pilates.

Every day there is volleyball on the beach and a half hour of basic pool aerobics around noon. Each day has different activities which can be found on a notice board inside Heliconia grill. There was T shirt tie dye classes, woodcarving classes, Reggae dance classes and jewelry making classes. They were all very small and informal.

Thursday nights is beach party night, with a bonfire, steel band and fire performers.

For a fee you can get a massage at the spa, but it was pricey ($150 or more I think). We skipped it. For a free massage just sit under the infinity waterfall in the pool and let the cascading water work its magic.

As far as excursions go, my wife and I didn't do any - we were too busy relaxing by the pool and eating good food. But from what I gather through talking to other guests, the Catamaran booze cruise to the pirate caves was worthwhile. Also, the snorkeling was popular. Some folks we met were doing night dives and parasailing. There is a glass-bottom boat cruise. The resort also offers bus trips to the craft market in Negril and Ricks cafe. Maybe next time we'll do more.

--------------------------------
What are the guests like?

Our intention was initially to have a quiet, romantic, relaxing vacation and to keep ourselves to ourselves. But within hours of getting to this resort, you'll realize that the other guests are truly what is going to make the vacation special. People are very chatty here and will randomly engage you in conversation all over the resort. We met at least five other wonderful couples whom we are now friends with on facebook. It's easy to get away and have some romantic, private time, but be sure not to miss out on making some new friends either.

------------------------
Overall Impression

Couples Negril is paradise... if you allow it to be. Attitude is everything here. It would be easy to focus on some bad things - tardiness of front desk service or some hit-and-miss food for example - but if you go in with eyes open to the good stuff you will see that most of it is really, really good. This is a fine, relaxed, beautiful, uncrowded resort with some wonderful staff, top shelf liquor and plenty of things to see and do. We will go back - hopefully many, many times.

Room Tip: Room 2109 is a ground floor with a patio onto the gardens facing the spa (no beach or pool view). It...
22 Thank cgwatson
indianapolis
Reviewed November 13, 2011

This was our second trip to jamaica and our second trip to Couples Negril.......We were fearful the or experiences on our first trip, which were wonderful, would not be repeated. We were wrong! Everything we loved on our first trip was still the same! The food was great, the ambiance was fantastic and the guests were lots of fun and great to talk with......won't drag this out any farther....best vacation spot we have ever been to hands down......read all the other reviews, go to couples message board and read all the comments....after all that you will be fully informed on what to expect..........the old saying is very true....'once you go, you will know'.......!!! :)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank ironranger
Washington, DC
Reviewed November 11, 2011

For a place that markets itself as a haven for romance, Couples Negril should much better than to allow a wedding party of around 60-70 people to co-opt the entire resort by way of a noisy, rowdy party that went well past 11 pm on Friday November 11 and drowned out all other activities on the resort, including the movie on the beach. Until that time, our week-long stay at CN had been really enjoyable and we were already planning a return trip in 2012. However, because CN permitted the wedding party to take over the resort so completely and so noisily that late at night, we are doubtful we will return.

8 Thank July101