“Love/hate relationship.”

Private Negril Highlights Tour
Ranked #1 of 58 things to do in Negril
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Pirates once haunted this seven-mile stretch of golden sand beach, now ruled by pleasure-seeking beach bums and sun-worshipers.
Whittier, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Love/hate relationship.”
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Lets start with the negative....

Those beach peddlers... They are pushy and annoying. For the most part, it's easy to fend them off with a simple "no, I'm ok, thanks". The kicker is that you truly have to fend them off about every minute or two! For a nice 30 minute stroll down the beach, expect many. We ended up just being rude and simply ignoring them and pretending we didnt speak English.

Now, that all applies to the "obvious" peddlers.... But also, I was swindled a few times by "low key" peddlers. For instance, we walked up to a bar and had a few red stripes. A local sat next to us, and chatted with us for nearly 30 minutes... We were getting along pretty well! We chatted about jamaican history, life in my hometown, lobster, etc.... He seemed to be just a nice, young local who owned the house next to the bar. Well... Then he says "man, I have something for you! Just for you... If people see you with it, they know you're taken care of and nobody bother you in Negril!!! No peddlers, and no thugs. I like your style so I want you to have this!". He pulls out these simple bracelets and ties them on us, and says "ok, 20 US for both". I was pissed. Here I was thinking I found a little spot away from the "peddlers" when I was taken for a fool by a guy I thought was decent enough. I settled on $5 US, and left the bar promptly. Needless to say, we were still bothered by peddlers with that damn bracelet. We walked by a few times and saw the guy again, and he always called me over... But I just kept walking.

Next, we took a taxi downtown for groceries. From our resort, it's always 1.50 per person when taking a red plate "legit" taxi. We were dropped off at the store, and when we came out, the taxi guy was still there. He said "It's ok! Come! I waited for you!". Instead of following my gut and getting into another taxi, we got into this guys, and he ended up charging us $7 extra for "waiting". That was my fault for not going with my guy I suppose.

There were a couple more attempts in the same style, but we learned quickly not to be so trusting. It was pretty sad to see a place I really wanted to enjoy be tainted by the fact that we can't take a persons kindness as genuine. It was hard to tell who is being kind, and who's out to swindle.

For the good part... The beach itself is simply amazing!!! Blue water, warm, clean. Many little food places and bars. Besides being made a fool out of by a few people along the beach, the VAST majority of locals, bartenders, etc were super cool. I always tipped well too, since we know they depend on tips to survive. But of course we spent our $ on places we felt were run without any foul play, which of course is most of them.

I do really want to return, but I know now how to "view" this place. It is a poor country. People have a very unsteady income, and mouths to feed. These conditions are primarily responsible for those people acting as they do for a sum of even a couple dollars. I never felt in any way "unsafe" along the beach. I saw no signs of mugging, or never felt I would be assaulted and robbed. I just knew that I saved up a while for my trip, and I too must be wise and give business to those with ethical practices. I would advise all new comers to just keep this in mind, but not let it ruin or prevent your trip! Like I said, 95% or more are totally cool, but you simply can't help feeling like a fool after you get swindled, even if just a couple times.

3 Thank RickyLopez

• Polish first
St. John's, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Be Careful at this beautiful spot”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

This is not the place for relaxing, people get in your face and try and sell you everything! They are very overwhelming and there is no taking no for an answer. It was clean but again, if you go with money, take the amount you want to spend and while this is a nice spot there is really no enjoying it with people getting in your face. Be careful about this guy that is seriously scary, I heard locals call him a few different names. The guy seems to introduce himself as Mark to tourists but I heard a local man call him Ziggy, the locals seem to hate him and I heard several use profanity to him. This guy will follow you up the beach and also follow you anywhere else you go. If you tell him to leave you alone, he still follows you and expects money when he finally decides to leave you alone using the excuse that he was your body guard and asks for $40 USD and says if you give it to him he will never bother you again. I seen this guy after the fact hanging around Times Square Market on another day.

3 Thank Jen R
San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“GORGEOUS Beach!!”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is a beautiful, clean, endless beach! Very romantic! The sunsets are spectacular. A walk up or down will bring you to all sorts of restaurants and bars.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank navelring7
Illinois
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 134 helpful votes
“Long pleasurable walks”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Head out early so you are not bothered by vendors. However even later in the day I never experienced any vendor who would not take a " no thank you". Very nice scenic walk. I walked the beach daily from CSA to Idle Awhile, and truly enjoyed it.

Visited October 2012
Lansing, MI
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Beautiful Beach”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is the most beautiful beach I have ever had the pleasure of visiting. The water is crystal clear and the sand is powder soft. There are dozens of places to stop in for a bite to eat or a drink or to just to browse for souvenirs.

1 Thank belvajoan