“3rd time and it only gets better”
Review of Blue Cave Castle

We can't find prices for this hotel
Blue Cave Castle
Ranked #51 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Central Ohio
“3rd time and it only gets better”
Reviewed December 29, 2008

I’ve stayed at Blue Cave Castle twice before. I was traveling solo this trip and when I thought of places to stay in Negril – I‘ve stayed at a half dozen or so – this was the one I thought of first. It’s on the west end which is my favorite part of Negril. It’s small and friendly with staff and guests who are generally outgoing and interesting so I won’t be lonely, it’s very secure, the rate is amazing in off season, and I love the mellow vibe here. It’s a no-brainer, I book it again.

I arrive and there is no rush to check in or pay or deal with anything…I am shown my room, given a key and asked if I need anything and that’s that.

As always, in my room the fridge is already cold, a pitcher of water and glasses is set up and there are fresh towels.

I am in Superior Room #2 this time, a new one for me. I like the room a lot…it has freaky ceilings, lots of triangles, no squares, and 3 beds, a lovely bathroom with a huge shower and is on the ground floor near the steps down to the throne. It has a huge outdoor porch with a big table and chairs and there are comfy loungers right nearby. A hurricane passed by a few days before but you’d never know it – everything has been cleaned and even the lounge chair cushions have been replaced. Attention to detail is just one thing I love about the place….from the art on the walls to things like fresh cushions, the owner really pays attention and never stops updating.

I’m hot after coming from Treasure Beach so I can’t resist the water…down on the beach there might be post-storm seaweed but up here on the cliffs the water is calm and clear and beautiful – I change into my suit and jump in and swim around to the other ladder and climb back up. There are 2-3 water entry points at BCC, one is in a cave. The cove is nice for snorkeling or swimming. There is also a freshwater shower right there in the yard.

Now refreshed, I change for dinner and walk up the road to 3 Dives to meet friends for dinner before they leave for the airport.

I get one or two call outs to come see something for sale on my short walk but a friendly wave “no thanks” and it’s all good. The pressure up here is not like the beach, in my opinion, and I think I have mastered the friendly “I’m all good” wave over the years so I rarely look at things for sale that I do not want to look at.

We arrive at 3 Dives and it is crowded. We enjoy a great meal and are served quickly because we have called ahead. Everything is cooked to order and the staff is small so if you don’t call ahead, you can wait a good hour or more for your food. Of course the bar is open in the meantime.

I sleep well and wake up in time to get coffee…yay. I love BCC’s coffee…it’s good and it’s free and it is served with that condensed sweet milk that I wouldn’t look at if I were home but tastes perfect in Jamaica. Coffee time is social time at Blue Cave too, most guests come and get some and choose to hang out at the tables in the yard, a few take it back to their rooms. It’s all good here, whatever one wants.

At Blue Cave there is now a restaurant! This is awesome, there has never been one when I have stayed here before. I ask for a menu and order a late breakfast of ackee and saltfish and sit down to enjoy my surroundings. It is another gorgeous day. The water is sparkling, the sky is blue, it is hot but not obnoxious. My table is in the shade and I have that book still to read. Aaaaahhhh, is all I can say.

The restaurant is kind of set up in this thatched roof area but you can eat anywhere, including your room, if you choose. SO BCC now has room service! The lunch and dinner menus look great too but breakfast is all I had here this stay (I’m only here for two nights).

Overall I continue to love Blue Cave. It’s not quite as cheap in winter as it is in summer/fall, but it’s a deal any time of year. Every room is different. The staff – from the owner Susan to the manager Petrona to the ladies who clean and wait tables to the groundskeeper/security…all are wonderful. It will always be my home away from home in Negril.

• Liked — Funky vibe, great people, attention to detail
  • Disliked — No pool.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
10 Thank ohliz

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
DETROIT
Reviewed December 22, 2008

I have been traveling to Negril for about 10 years now. I have stayed at many places during my stays and the Blue cave Castle, by far, is the BEST!!!!!! Why? Go find some pictures, you'll see, this is a one of a kind place. The BCC is known for it's clean rooms, impeccable service and tediously manicured landscape. It is super secure and just completely allows you to have that Irie feel. I have now stayed at the BCC 3 times and will continue to stay. The offer everything you want all in one. And the price???? You can't beat it for what you get! Trust me folks............this place is a true gem. The people, Petrona, Susan, Fuzzy, Teddy, Winston, the cleaning ladies, groundskeepers, guardsmen and of course, the guard dog. They are all here to make your visit the best possible. Try Teddy's food......It is delicious! This resort is also in a very good location. It is on the cliffs, close to a convienent store, cambio and restaurants. Go see Rose at Brown Sugar.......she'll make you the best meal you've ever had!!! Grab a snorkel trip from Vincent.......he'll be cruising by in his boat with his warm smile and friendly vibes! Instead of taxi's, go rent a bike or scooter from Gas across the street, he'll give you a good deal. Go see the island! On a bicycle, you can be on the beach in 15 minutes. I just can't say enough about this island and this resort. Trust me people....... If you go, then you'll know..
....and you'll be back! Ya Mon!!!!

• Liked — EVERYTHING!!!!
  • Disliked — We were only able to stay for a week.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank JamaicaJoe
GEORGIA
Reviewed November 30, 2008

Petrona is the manager of the property. She is very nice as is all the staff. The owner of the propety lives on the grounds so it is very well kept. I was leary about staying there because of the price. I had nothing to worry about. I enjoyed my stay and welcomed the quiet surroundings. The view from the property is amazing. I would recommend this place to someone who is on a budget but wants a safe, clean, peaceful experience. The furnishings are a bit old but the place is extremely clean. I was not disappointed it is a deal considering the price of other hotels in Jamaica.

Stayed October 2008
1 Thank SOLSOEUR
Wilmington, NC
Reviewed September 18, 2008

This place is pure bliss. The staff, food, grounds, location, sunset, water- everything AMAZING! You can even jump off the cliff right at the hotel! We did it all day and had a blast. This place is true paradise and VERY reasonably priced. I can't wait to go back. Yes we were spring breakers but this was the most relaxing and enjoyable place. :)

• Liked — Its uniqueness, on sight cliff jumping, views
  • Disliked — Insects in room
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank derekwragge
Boston, MA
Reviewed July 21, 2008

On previous trips to Negril I have passed by Blue Cave Castle as I walked, swam, or rode by in a route taxi, always admiring the structure. I stayed at Blue Cave Castle from July 1-5, 2008 and I would stay again. The Castle is located in the West End (cliffs section) of Negril and built about 30 ft above the sea. There are three sets of stares that lead to the sea, one directly into a cave and two at the edge of the cliffs. There are two main buildings that the hotel rooms are located in, the castle and another large one story building. The rooms are unique in style and furnishings and it is best to check out the www.bluecavecastle.com web site to see what room would be best for you. The original owner and a couple of long time employees live on sight. The rooms and property are very clean and have been maintained, updated and sustained quite nicely. The rooms have mini-fridges and while they don’t have coffee makers, there is a large urn of free self-serve coffee ready every morning at 6:00AM. The grounds are very pretty with a nice sea view that is home to boats and dolphins. A turtle pond, pigeon cage, a sundial, and a cave are interesting touches. The grounds have lounge chairs and tables and chairs. Many of the rooms also have their own private or shared lounging areas. There is an on-sight chef that will cook meals for you so you don’t, have to leave the property for meals. I did not eat on property but other guests did and said that the food was good. BCC has a good west end location with the L&M market and many good restaurants near by. “Choices” is good for breakfast, lunch or dinner. For dinner, Chicken Lavish, Blue Horizon, Jus Natural, Spice and Spice, Xtabi, 3 Dives, De Bar and Grill, and Sips 'n Bites are within walking distance. Tony's Jerk Barrel is across the road. Pee Wees and "The No Limit Bar" are near and interesting places to get a couple of drinks.

The Blue Cave Castle offers a great value for the money. Not all rooms have AC, theres is no bar, no pool, and the property is not located on the beach. You can walk to the beach but it will take about 1/2 hour and there are no sidewalks. For one or two people ride the route taxis, for more take a cab.

• Stayed July 2008
5 Thank LyingOnTheBeach
Cypress, Texas
Reviewed July 17, 2008

Blue Cave is not for you if you are looking for a resort type experience, however, if you are looking for a place to relax and get recharged, this is your place. It is unlike other hotels. It is like one big family. The owner lives there and oversees the property. She treats her help with respect and in return the help treats it's guest special. Locals in the area all want to work there. The experience is unique because guests will join together in the yard and it is like a family. If you desire to be left alone, that will be done. You can gather and play dominoes under the palapua. If you do not want to go out, you can get Teddy to cook for you. Just ask he will prepare. The view is good from most of the rooms. We had a room without air conditioning in our rooms but the fans made it ok. If you get hot you can take advantage of the walks to the ocean. Don't forget to wave at Wild thing, glass bottom boats and other boats who stop to just take in a deep breathe of Blue Cave Castle. We came home fully relaxed. I recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to have a relaxed, romantic vacation in a beautiful place.

• Liked — The well kept gardens and clean rooms
  • Disliked — the steps, the many steps
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cypressmom
ktradomski
Reviewed July 8, 2008

Every positive review on here is absolutely correct! This hotel is simply amazing with large rooms, beautiful grounds, amazing staff, and the best view of the sunset in all of Negril. My husband and I stayed here for 8 nights and we cannot wait to go back. I simply cannot recommend this highly enough -- we'll be back ASAP!!!

• Liked — The overall experience was great -- the sunsets were breathtaking.
  • Disliked — I cannot think of a negative!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank ktradomski