“Something out of a movie.”
Review of Blue Cave Castle

We can't find prices for this hotel
Blue Cave Castle
Ranked #52 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed April 18, 2011

Fantastic, superb, amazing stay at Blue Cave Castle last week. The property, room, & balconies were just perfect. We stayed in Deluxe Room #4 with the Romeo & Juliet balcony, and double doors opening to the patio - truly paradise. Great sunset views, great snorkeling, great food, great security always monitoring your comings and goings. Not the most convenient place to access the beach, but the location and property itself are well worth the few minutes you will have to ride into town - not to mention, many places will send a free shuttle to come get you for dinnner (Kuyaba). Several good, simple restaurants within walking distance for the adventurous, and the house chef (Teddy) prepares some excellent food. Gotta love the free Blue Mountain coffee every morning with the Jamaican condiments.

If staying here, have your cash situation resolved as the ATM isn't conveniently located. However, it's easy to grab a taxi or across the street is a little spot called Spyder Bar and a great driver (respect to Garth!) hangs out there and many of the security guards recommend/call him for transportation. Property is loaded with lots of great private spots down the stairs of the cliffs where we spent alot of time while in-property, and even shared a bottle of wine one night. Overall, we LOVED it - we felt very safe (big ups to Santa & Mark), very appreciated, and probably would never stay anywhere in Negril, except the Blue Cave Castle. Great value, great atmosphere, and one of those places that other vacationers see, take pictures of, and wish they had chosen as their lodging while in Negril.

Room Tip: Recommend the rooms with private balconies.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GrgLaw
There are newer reviews for Blue Cave Castle

Reviewed March 3, 2011

I love this place. I have been to Jamaica 11 times and don't enjoy snorkeling on the beach. This is why I go. Not to lay on the beach. I have stayed at BCC since I found it and never heard dogs or roosters crowing. Maybe Teddy was having it on the menu that day. lol I have stayed in most the rooms and very comfortable. Good beds and lots of hot water. Very clean!! I love the staff. The cave under the castle is great. In the am you can help yourself to some free Blue Mnt. coffee and watch for the dolphins and the fisherman go by. I love it there and have taken both my kids there several times and my grandchildren. All you hear at night is the waves. They even get the coffee on extra early for me. WiFi has worked everywhere there for me. Inside and out. Can't wait to see ya all in again in May.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank wildseas
Reviewed February 28, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay. We are writing this review while looking out at the ocean from the balcony of room 8 on our last day here. So wifi works, but only from the balcony. Room is very clean, and much more charming than it looked from the website. The grounds are nice, but not as big as I thought from the website pictures. The food is great as Teddy is a wonderful chef. The other guests are really friendly as they gather each morning for coffee and each evening to watch the sunset.

Overall we loved our stay, but there are a few downsides you should be aware of. Do you like roosters? They crow all morning long starting at 4am. If that doesn't wake you up, I'm sure the barking dogs and street noise will. Lite sleepers should be wary. In Feb, you don't need the AC, so go for the penthouse if it's available. That might help with some of the street noise as well.

To sum up: gorgeous location, funky hotel, awesome cave, good price, definitely recommend.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2011

If you want to stay in Jamaica but don't like the idea of staying at a place where you are surrounded by children and 420 unfriendlies, then this is the place for you! Patrona the manager is amazing! Absolutely amazing! And the chef Teddy you will hear so much about in all the reviews, WOW!! There aren't words to describe Teddy. Incredible guy, incredible cook. The two of them really make sure they do everything they can to see that you have a good time! The grounds were amazing. It's not right on the beach which we loved because then you don't have the beach noise. The glass bottom boats will come up and take you out for a snorkle in the morning or you can jump in a cab (they're everywhere) for $500J and be at the beach in minutes. We loved all the people there. Every guest we met when we were there are the most genuine, amazing people you could ever meet! We wil be going back for sure. Many times!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Friendly_Traveller_8
Reviewed February 9, 2011

We love the vibe of the castle so we enjoy it. Even though it's rough around the edges, it's all in your expectations. The gate guards are wonderful in pointing you in the right direction. Mark loves romance and will recommend several places to eat or go. Maid service is very quick. Coffee in the courtyard is very relaxing. Free wifi is appreciated. L&M is across the street to stock up your frig. Several cliff restaurants within walking distance. We rented a scooter just across the road and had a blast traveling to the beach and all the way to Bloody Bay. Teddy's food onsite is great! We did visit several other properties on the cliff. It's your choice! We'll revisit the castle again :)

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PPDavis
Reviewed January 24, 2011

The best thing about the castle is the people; Petrona. Susan and Teddy made our stay very enjoyable. But, what is even more fun is that, with 14 rooms, the guests all know eachother and all have different stories to tell. The best is in the morning, where everyone meets for coffee and chat...

Being in the ocean ALONE at night, with no one around but the bats flying in and out of the cave was wicked...

We loved every second of it. We will be back!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2011

Blue Cave Castle has great views, is very secure, has a very relaxed, friendly atmosphere, and the the staff is exceptional. They could not be more accommodating. I stayed there for six days. Since the room I wanted to stay in wasn't available for the entire six days I took the unusual step of booking three different rooms during my six day stay--two days in the penthouse, two in the upper tower, and two in the deluxe #3 room.

First, if I stay there again it will only be in the penthouse. You really do feel like you are king of the castle there with three levels, including the lower level with a large sunning area with loungers, a picnic table, and even a shower, the middle level which houses the bedroom, equipped with a small kitchenette, coffee maker, refrigerator, and a small tv, and another balcony with a fantastic view, and an upper level which looks out over the compound and has a higher turret that puts you at least 75 feet above the Caribbean for a truly spectacular view of the ocean, the compound, and even a good view of the coastline of Negril.

Second, the upper tower. Simply, this is pretty much just a room of about 15' by 15'. Nothing spectacular. It's a place to sleep. After staying in the penthouse I couldn't help feeling a little claustrophobic. And it does have a little boom box radio as do the other rooms but no TV. You can see the coastline on either side of the castle and have a direct view of the ocean, albeit from the shuttered windows that are a little restrictive if you're trying to get a good pic from your room. Also, while there is small refrigerator there is no coffee maker. And while they do serve free coffee every morning in the courtyard I found myself really wanting a coffee maker in the room. I asked Susan, the owner, about it and she graciously gave me a brand new coffee maker for my room so I could enjoy the Blue Mountain coffee I purchased from the little store down the street from the castle.

The Deluxe #3 room was definitely bigger than the upper tower but smaller than the penthouse. Again, nothing spectacular. And your view is limited to either side of the coastline of the castle as there is no direct view out over the ocean from this room. I took my coffee maker with me from the tower room when I moved for the last time since there was no coffee maker in this room either. The room has a refrigerator as well but no TV.

They have a very good maid service and during my stay they did an excellent job cleaning up the rooms without disturbing any of my items. You don't have to worry about any of your high-priced items walking when you're out. That said, I don't recommend leaving a wad of cash out in plain sight either. Some things are just common sense though really.

The restaurant serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Teddy is the cook. Susan lets him pretty much do his own thing and I have to say that his food is exemplary. Expect to wait 20-30 mins before you get your meal, especially in the evenings, but the wait is worth is. I grew up on the Gulf Coast and am a bit of a snob when it comes to fresh seafood but I can report without hesitation that Teddy prepares some of the most mouth-watering dishes I have eaten, and it is always fresh. The first night I was there I had his Lobster Thermidor (sp?) since I read so many reviews about it and I have to say it did not disappoint. It was simply outstanding. Even breakfast with bacon, toast, eggs, and juice was just a treat to eat. Teddy truly has a gift and if I stay at the Blue Cave again it will be in large part so I'll be able to sample more of his cuisine--yes, it's that good!

Overall, I had a great time in Negril and I am so glad I did not give in to the temptation to go to an all-inclusive, instead choosing to "go local" for the most part. I stayed at Blue Cave and rented a scooter from just across the street from Gus (Gasford Graham) for $35/day. Don't freak out about the whole fear of driving thing in Jamaica. The first day I was there I walked probably 5 or 6 miles into town and while nice to see everything up close and great for allowing me to stop and take pictures (yes, I carried a very nice Canon DSLR camera down the street without any fear of being mugged) it got old quickly and by day two I wanted a better way to get around. I could've called for a taxi but I'm the type who likes to go when i want to go and am not very patient when it comes to that sort of thing. So the scooter was perfect for me and Gus, while I initially had my doubts about him as he hit me as the used-car salesman type, couldn't be nicer or more accommodating and I am so glad I rented a scooter from him. $35/day may seem like a lot but get used to the idea real fast that inflation in Jamaica is rampant and everything in Jamaica costs out the ying-yang. Don't go there expecting to penny-pinch 'cause it's just not gonna happen.

A six pack of Red Stripe runs almost $20 and that is on the cheap end. A decent dinner with a drink is at least $40. If you smoke, be prepared to spend at least $10 on a pack of cigarettes. Hell, the only thing that's probably reasonable to someone from the States is ganja.

A word about the smoking situation in Negril: Let's face it, this is one of the things Jamaica is known for. I won't go into too much more than that since this website would probably censure it anyway. Just know that it is everywhere and plentiful and if you do plan to smoke just use a little common sense and very soon you will figure out when and where it's cool to light up and when it's not. To give you an idea about what you may likely expect, of the first six Jamaicans I met when I made it to the island, I was asked no less than four times if I needed any smoke LOL. And after my visit there I would equate it with walking into a bar in the States and being asked if you'd like a beer LOL.

The one BIG negative about the Blue Cave is absolutely terrible Wifi connection. The staff all swear that the connection is great but I stayed in three different rooms while there and have a very new and up to date laptop and could not get any kind of connection in any of those rooms. I had to go down to the courtyard or the restaurant (and sit in the back closest to the office and presumably the router) to get even the weakest of signals. I believe this is a known problem after talking to other Negril locals but for whatever reason it's just not a big enough issue to Susan, the owner or Petrona, the manager, to do anything about. Frankly, it was a big disappointment because it's one of the things I specifically asked about when I called to book my stay.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at Blue Cave. I was finally able to snorkel on the third day there--initially, the ocean was much too rough and it would've been dangerous to try since the waves were crashing onto the rocky shoreline something fierce. Also, the first couple days were incredibly windy and as I was at the top of the castle in the penthouse it was severe and pretty noisy. The wind died down eventually and with it the ocean so my stay was more enjoyable after that.

Would I stay again? You bet. But there are so many places to stay in Negril, I will likely look at other places on my return. But I will definitely be back to Negril....ya, mon!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo