Xtabi Resort
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsthe cliffwest endoutdoor showerconch burgerjamaican breakfastwaves crashingcoffee potseaside cottageceiling fanlaid backgarden roomevery morningocean siderick's caferock housealways felt safeclear water
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 22, 2010

Although we've been to Negril many times, this was our first stay on the west end. Our stay at Xtabi for 5 nights couldn't have been better. Check-in was a breeze and no request went unanswered. They even stored my ice cream in the restaurant's freezer across the street.

We stayed in a superior room w/ air conditioning and while accommodations aren't luxurious, it met our needs. My favorite feature was the piping hot water in the shower that lasted forever.

The grounds are beautiful and well kept. There is also a well maintained pool but who needs it when the ocean is right across the street?

The cliff and caves were awesome and the views are breathtaking. I would recommend Xtabi with hesitation and you can't beat the price.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We went there every morning, ate a meal, and they were so gracious to let us snorkel all day long. They had a "baby" cliff jump, which was just enough for me. Skip the tourist traps, and hang out for the finest Lobster Thermador, and eggs benedict around. (mmmmmm-----Hollendaise sauce)

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gchip
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I enjoyed Xtabi. The food at the restaurant was great and the staff was pretty nice. The caves beneath the restaurant are breathtaking and the views from the cliffs were lovely.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank S-Ann A
Reviewed October 8, 2010

When I found this place online, I was amazed at how beautiful and inviting it looked. i thought this was exactly what I am looking for. The rooms looked clean, the surroundings inviting, the resort well kept.
When we arrived we were greeted by a friendly staff and shown to our room. We did not realize what was headed our way. After about four hours, we were hit with a tropical storm.
We loss power and cable connection. We had no way of keeping up with details of the storm. No one from the resort came to check on any of the guests, that were left in the dark. There were no phones in the room to call the front desk, nor was there anyone at the front desk to check in with.
We tried to get what information from the owner at the resort but did not have much success.
Around midnight our room began to leak from the roof, and because there is no one at the front desk during the night,we were unable to get any assistance with the problem until the following morning.
The storm continued and we were still in the dark during the night. Now again the new room began to leak ,the floor was extremely slippery and the constant drip of water made sleeping difficult to say the least,and once again we had to wait until the morning to explain our dilemma.
So here we go again, 3rd room. As i am lying in bed, I feel as if I am being chewed up. I ask my husband if he is getting bit and he says "no".
However, I can't stay under the sheets without feeling like something is chewing on me. I finally get up, pull back the sheets and find bugs crawling around the bed. My husband begins to pull the bugs off of the bed and kills them and places them on the dresser, in order to show them to the owner in the morning. Thinking we got them, I try to lay down again, only to find more coming into the bed. I tell my husband that these are bedbugs. I spent the night on a small wicker chair, no way I'm getting in the bed. I did not sleep at all and spent a watch on him as he slept, killing bedbugs throughout the night.
We find the asst manager and tell him what happened and show him the bugs.
Again they move us and apologize for the problem.
During the many moves to new rooms, my husband lost his jacket,which maid service says they couldn't find. And although I was allowed to look for myself, I did not find his jacket. And upon searching the bug infested room, the asst. manager failed to mention that the room had just been fumegated.
Although they apologized several times, the lack of concern during the storm and for the problems with the room was of little concern to them. Many excuses no solutions.
The rooms were not adequately cleaned, you only had 2 bath towels and one hand towel, no toiletries, glasses in bath room never changed, there is no ice machine or vending machine for soft drinks, no phones, no information to tell you when the kitchen is open. No one servicing the front desk after 11p.m. and no one is available before 8 a.m.
The pool is never cleaned except skimming the leaves, when I asked about the pool being cleaned for use after the storm, I was told, they would check with the owner. I myself asked if it had been treated after the storm for use, only to be told, it only had a few leaves in it. My reply was I have a pool and yours needs to be treated before I go in it.
We were also told on the 2nd day of the storm, that they weren't sure if they could feed us because they did not have power and the kitchen had been damaged during the storm. There was no back up generator, no emergency lighting on the grounds,walkways or rooms. You are truly on your own during an emergency at this resort. The only generator was for the resort bar, which powered a blender, i-pod, and some lights.
I understand that somethings are out of ones control, but assuring the safety of your guests and preparing for emergencies as well as providing clean and comfortable rooms is a must in my book.
For all of the short comings of this resort, they try hard to make up for them in their friendly greetings and smiles.
This would be a great place if it were better kept and better prepared for emergencies.
I did meet many guest who said they loved being ther and have returned several times, but I guess some don't mind the short comings and being left on their own, or have been fortunate enough not to have had as bad of an experience as we did.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tanner5010
Xtabi, Front Office Manager at Xtabi Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2010

Sometimes one needs to respond to the reviews of a guest and in this case Xtabi have deemed it quite necessary to do so, as the guest in this review have failed to paint an acccurate picture of September 28 - October 5, 2010.

To begin let me say that no one in Negril not even the Meteorological service had predicted the storm to be this severe. We were prepared for rain however we too soon realized that it was much worst. We must highlight that we did make an effort to imform our guest about the storm once it became apparent to us, but our plan was later aborted until morning as the risk of being outside going room to room with unknown debris flying everywhere was too great a risk to our staff.

We do agree that this was unusual and difficult circumstances for both parties involved. We understand that no one would be happy to go on vacation and arrive on the day a storm hit and as a result loose power, cable television, telephone, internet access, ect. We are sorry that Mother Nature mess up your vacation and we do wish you will have a better eperience next trip, but for what it is worth we believe it necessary to highlight that we did the best we could for everyone in our care during this unexpected event. The rest of our guest agrees.

Thanks to the remaining 18 guest who were also here during tropical storm Nicole. We do appreciated that you understood that as humans we do not control mother nature, but that we made every effort to resolve any unfortunate problems that arose both during and after the storm.

Even with zinc flying off roof tops that may have proved fatal, broken power lines which totally knocked out the power everywhere in Negril, unwanted debris being thrown onto the property by the heavy waves out at sea or the numerous branches and leaves the landed on our property from everywhere, we ventured out, kept the hotel open, provided food, tea and coffee, music and company to our guests.

We lost the roof to the Kitchen, our telephone lines were down for more than three days, the internet for two days, what could we do? In fact, we consider ourselves lucky as other places suffered even greater damage, Ricks cafe had to be closed for about four days for repairs, Catcha Falling Star and Tensing Ten Hotel had to cancel weddings and reservations, and still are, just to name a few.

The guest stated, “I did meet many guest who said they loved being here and have returned several times,”

80% of our guests are return guest and even during the hurricane she met many guests who expressed nothing but love for Xtabi. We therefore regret that there is little understanding on your part considering the circumstances due to hurricane.

For those who are not aware, the hurricane was hammering Jamaica. Roads where flooded by heavy rains, and many places impassable, there were mudslides and many of our staff were not even able to make it to work. One of our staff member’s community (Savanalamar) was hit by a tornado during Nicole, which took the roof off many buildings. For some their homes were totally flooded and another’s house almost burnt to the ground when a power line broke.

So yes, because of this extreme water and wind, water got into places where it would not have normally gone.
Did their room leak? Yes
Were they moved three times? Yes
Was it done in a timely manner? Yes
Was there someone always on the property to assist if needed? Yes, and during the storm there were five who stayed on property 24hours per day, everyday.
Did our guest choose to stay in the dark? Yes, All rooms are provided with candles and matches therefore we are unsure why our guest felt the need to stay in the dark.
Did they loose a jacket? We don't know, but all our search proved futile here.
Could they have left it somewhere else they had visited? Yes
Was our pool cleaned? Yes, everyday after the storm. At the time they wanted to use it, it was being treated. You shouldn't be angry about that.
Was it bed bugs in their bed? No, the common name for them is ants
Fortunately or unfortunately, we are located in the tropics and from time to time our experience is a bit more exotic. For this reason especially during heavy rains we will get ants because the grounds are flooded and they go indoor is search of food.

So to sum it all up. We are people you can talk to. If there is a ever a problem at night our guests can contact our security guard, they are outside ready to take action if necessary. Omar nickname the omnipotent by our guest is always on spot and ready to help. In a case where the security cannot solve the problem he will summon the assistant manager who lives on property, and who will deal with the matter personally. In this particular case the assistant manager was in the room next to our complaining guests and would have been more than willing to help out if notified, any time of the day or night, hurricane or no hurricane.

We thank you Trip Advisor for this medium to respond and to say our propective guests don't use this report to make a decision about your trip. Come to Xtabi and you will find it the way our return guests tell it - a service that is second to none.

Kind regards,

Management

Xtabi Resort

Reviewed September 29, 2010

Here is a nice please for relaxing in rocks and loving in front of the sunset.
Good value place to stay

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple