“Happy returns”

Ranked #30 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Bournemouth UK
“Happy returns”
Reviewed May 4, 2007

This was our third visit to Xtabi and once again the staff and the accommodation were excellent. The caves beneath the hotel offer excellent access to the sea for swimming and snorkelling. Breakfast and dinner can be taken in the resaurant with views of the Caribbean. With the beach only a short taxi ride away staying at Xtabi you have the best of both worlds.The beach for the daytime sun the cliffs for the most magnificent sunsets.

Stayed April 2007
1 Thank catBournemouthUK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed May 1, 2007

Spent 3 nights here after 6 @ Negril Gardens on the beach. What a change! Felt like a totally separate vacation! We were in Cottage 2. The room was lovely! Especially compared to the very basic one @ Negril Gardens. Big comfortable king bed with clean linens. Fridge, outdoor shower, plenty of chairs, the outside balcony was great. No A/C but the powerful fan worked just fine! The staff was a friendly as you were to them - I wouldn't say outgoing but definitly willing to help you if you needed it. The dinner menu was rather expensive and we didn't order much from it - my boyfriend got the Jamaican chicken and was disappointed (go to 3 Dives next door it is AWESOME there!). I did like the stuffed crab and soup. The breakfast is not to miss. We got the eggs benedict w/ bacon and it was a lot of food, very good, and if lobster would have been in season I would have got that the next morning. The caves there are so cool! The one on the far end has a small beach for those who don't like going up and down the VERY rusty ladders. Can rent snorkel stuff for $5. Not a lot to see there however except fish. It's cool though! I like floating on the raft I brought. Our third and last night the red ants came in droves (at night only) and made me all paranoid. They must spray when the rooms turn over and then not again unless asked (we didn't cuz we were checking out). There was also an inchworm infestation on our balcony - I think they were in the tree - a few got into the room but were harmless. They move so fast it was crazy! The vibe @ Xtabi is VERY mellow - my boyfriend loved it. Very quiet. Lots of things around Xtabi... went to Choices and Sips N Bites too for good meals. Would go back but probably wait to reserve one of the cottages that could hold more people - was almost too mellow for me (just travelling with my man) - and we saw how others around us enjoyed the larger cottages. Maid service was good, too. Towels here suck though so bring your own.

• Liked — caves, rocks to jump from, benedicts
  • Disliked — towels, leaving
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MNTravelBug
Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed April 30, 2007

My husband and I just got back from three nights at Xtabi. We stayed in seaside cottage #3 and just loved it. No air conditioning – you don’t need it at all with the sea breeze and ceiling fan and a great view. The cottages have a small refrigerator – which is great to keep food/fruit/beer cold. There is a small grocery store that has everything you could possibly need not too far of a walk away, and on the way back you can stop at Tony’s fruit stand and pick up some fresh fruits. No TV or phone – which to me is truly a vacation away from it all. The seaside cottages have outdoor showers – imagine taking a shower with a view of the sea! Good snorkeling – my husband was out there quite a bit every day and I went in a few times, but preferred sitting in the sun on one of the “pods” in the water. When I got too hot I could jump in the water or climb the ladder into the sea to cool off. There is also a pool by the garden side rooms for those who prefer a pool to the sea.

The staff is great – Oreta to help with reservations via e-mail and to check you in, Barbara keeping the room spotless, and Donovan – the world’s best bartender (makes a very refreshing rum punch) – all of them (and everyone else from security to the grounds keepers) very pleasant and smiling all the time.

The restaurant at Xtabi is very good (excellent callaloo omelet and coffee for breakfast and I love their potato salad at lunch) and a beautiful setting for sunset/dinner (great fish). There are also a couple of very good restaurants you can walk to - Serious Chicken and Sips and Bites are two of our favorites. Just be careful walking along the road as some of the drivers tend to fly by quite fast.

After reading some negative reviews of Xtabi, I have come to the conclusion that either some people just aren’t going to be happy unless they are in a five star resort, or they just didn’t read up on Jamaica in general. It is a Caribbean island with a slower pace of life – which is what we love about vacationing there.

We are already looking forward to our return trip to Jamaica and we will be staying at Xtabi again and again.

• Liked — The beautiful view
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank sk0lat
central pa
Reviewed April 29, 2007

Rik and I have stayed at Xtabi 3 times now ~ Each time, it feels more and more like home.

We stay on the garden side of the property. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Some have TV and A/C, some just A/C, some just ceiling fans.

The gardens are beatiful and the pool is just a few steps out side your door.

The resturant and bar are located across the street on the sea-side of the property. The bar is always a relaxing place to hang out and play checkers or just chat with your new found friends.

There are seaside cottages available also. Some are perched right on the cliffs and others are set back from the sea.

Everyone from the owners to the wait staff to the bartenders to the office girls to the cleaning ladies to the maintanence men are all there to help you with whatever you may need.

Snorkeling in the cove is awesome and most days, you could catch a ride on a glass bottom boat.

We plan to visit Negril every year and we know that we will be staying at Xtabi again and again

• Liked — The perfect location on quiet and peaceful West End Road
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Barnum , Minnesota
Reviewed April 12, 2007

My two sisters planned their double wedding at the Xtabi in March of 2007 and wanted as much of the family that could go to attend. My younger brother and sisters are frequent travelers and have been to Negril 4/5 times but this was my first. My wife and my stepsons could not go but i went with my eight year old son and Mom,Stepdad,Dad,Brothers,Sisters and many friends and relatives. The Xtabi along with Jamaica in general was one of the funnest and most relaxing weeks i have ever had in my life. Everyone from Kingsley to Andrew to Omar with to many people to mention were the freindliest and most down to earth people i have ever spent time with. The rooms were excellent the food was great and the setting was perfect. If your a city slicker and are looking for that all inclusive type of thing with a 5 star expectation on everything this is not for you. But if you just want to get away from it all and relax and experince the real Jamaica then you can't go wrong with the Xtabi and all that is within walking distance of it. We stayed across the street at the garden view rooms and were more then happy with the service,the pool and did not mind at all walking across the street to the bar/dining area. They put on a fabulous wedding for my sisters with great food,a band,and a more then friendly smile and attitude. I read some of the other reviews in this site and could not believe some of the negitive comments people made. Of course this is not the US and things are not like they are at the hilton! This is Jamaica! and you come here to try and get away from our crazy and hectic lives. Besides what can people complain about? The place is clean, the people are alot more friendly then people back home and your mind is free of any schedules or worries you would have back home. Overall the Xtabi is more then i ever expected and i will be back as soon as i can. Don't let any of the bad reviews stop you from going there because these people don't know the meaning of Real Jamaica and should be staying at the beach at an all inclusive.If you want excellent food, a great rate on nice clean rooms,watching sunsets from the cliffs, and an all around fantastic time i recommend the Xtabi. I WILL BE BACK SOON! (But not soon enough)

Spencer and Waylon p.s Hi Andrew

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — all was great
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank IloveXtabibacksoon
Washington, DC
Reviewed February 17, 2007

Fair warning: this review will be most illuminating for the slightly pampered traveller who needs more ambience along with her accommodations.

We stayed here for a week-long getaway. The room was fairly clean with functioning air conditioning. The decor is bare-bones--nothing to write home about.

The resort is split into two halves: each on one side of a pretty busy thoroughfare. You'll have to cross the street to get to the restaurant/caves/etc. There are lots of really cool places to eat in that area, including Three Dives. I'd go there instead of going to the restaurant here.

The front desk staff was fairly personable, but didn't in any way go out of their way to help us out. Maybe it's irie, but whatever it is, be prepared if you go.

The physical plant is rough around the edges: lots of rusting old pieces of furniture around the pool area, some dilapidated houses right next to the guest rooms (which are a reflection of the rough economic situation the island faces in general). I always felt safe in the area, but it's something you should know if you come expecting Club Med.

The location is really nice if you want to get away from the hurly burly of the beach area. There's some nice snorkeling, etc in those waters. If you want to spend most of your time on the beach, you'll need to take a cab.

Redux: decent price, decent place.

• Liked — The price, good views, location away from the main spring-breaker scene
  • Disliked — Room decor
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PandaPal
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 17, 2007

We spent a week at Xtabi, which began on January 31st and went way too quickly!

My boyfriend and our friend that traveled with us had stayed at Xtabi before, so I knew I would enjoy it, but they exceeded my expectations. When we arrived we had a very friendly and quick check in. We were given our room keys and off we went. We stayed in the garden rooms as there were three of us and we wanted rooms with adjoining balconies.They also have cottages on the cliff side, which look really cool. I was suprised at the size of our room. Plenty of room and plenty of closet and drawer space as well. My only complaint was the size of the bed, but that's only because I'm spoiled by our king size bed at home. No problem.

The balconies were pretty large and had a table and chairs. Ours was even larger as we had adjoining balconies with our friend. The garden was amazing and very well cared for. Every morning I would get up and sit out there enjoying the view.

The staff did a great job cleaning our room and I have absolutely no complaints about that.

We spent a lot of time on the cliffside, where the restaurant and bar are located. There two people stand out for me...Donovan and Omar. Two of the coolest people you'll ever meet and they just happen to be amazing bartenders as well. They treated me as if they had known me forever and they felt like old friends from the first time I met them. I never wanted for anything when either of these guys was behind the bar.

Every morning after breakfast (More on that later), we would go take a swim in the sea. At Xtabi, I believe there are five different caves. Some you could swim into and others you could walk down from the top. Very cool spot to do some swimming. I'm usually a pool person, but I never actually swam in Xtabi's pool because we spent so much time in the sea. You can also do some cliff diving right there, which was a lot of fun. There is a guy named Andrew who does some amazing diving there. Let him know if you'd like to take some pics of him diving, you'll be amazed at what he can do! Make sure you give him a couple bucks for his effort as he is providing some great entertainment and he won't ask you outright for a tip. This was also a great spot to watch the sunsets. Which we did just about every evening.

The restaurant was very good and they had a great dinner crowd just about every night we were there. Lots of people coming from other hotels and resorts to have dinner. Also, I highly recommend the appetizers. We ordered a ton of these while hanging out at the bar. My favorite...the deep fried lobster.

My only complaint about the bar?....It could have stayed open later. I believe the latest it stayed open was 11:00 or so. There would be a decent amount of people in the bar and they would come and start pulling the bottles and closing up. We would order a couple of Guiness for the road and head back to our balcony. This is the one thing I would change at Xtabi. Keep the bar open later if there are patrons.

I don't think there was one staff member that wasn't friendly. Always a smile from everyone we came across. It truly made me feel welcome.

Xtabi's neighbors...
We went to Just Natural, which is right next door(land side), every morning for breakfast. The Jamaican breakfast was amazing!! Everything I had there was amazing. It is a family run restaurant and they always made us feel like family when we walked into the yard. We were always greeted with a cheerful "good morning!" and a warm smile. I also highly recommend the fresh squeezed juices.
Definately enjoy at least one meal at Just Natural.

On the other side(cliff side) is 3 Dives. The food here is amazing and if you are looking for lobster, this is the place. Sometimes they get really busy and there is quite a wait, but it is worth the wait.

If you are in need of a towel or wrap, there is a woman( I don't recall her name) with a shop right next to Xtabi. Her prices are fair and she is a pleasure to do business with.

If you are looking for a wood carving to take home, Champion is your guy. His shop is just up the road (Towards town). He is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet and his carvings are beautiful. Just ask at Xtabi where his shop is. He can also provide you with snorkeling gear if you are so inclined.

The West End...
Xtabi is located on a great spot on the West End. I strongly recommend taking a walk down to the lighthouse. It's a nice walk and there are plenty of places to stop for a drink on the way. Just be sure to stay on the side of the road and pay attention to traffic. For those of you from the States...remember they drive on the opposite side of the road. Cars move pretty quickly and you don't want to get in their way!

To sum it up, our stay at Xtabi was wonderful and I can't wait to go back. I felt like family there and I really had a hard time leaving! The morning that we had to leave, I ran into the bar to get a bottle of "Wata" for the road. Omar was there and as I walked in,
He shouted my name and gave me a huge smile. I told him we were leaving and he wished me safe travels and gave me a big hug. This made it even harder to leave!! But we will be back! And we aren't waiting a year!

If you are looking for a place to stay on the West End, please consider Xtabi. You won't regret it!

• Liked — Everything!!
  • Disliked — Leaving!!
  • Stayed February 2007