Xtabi Resort
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsthe cliffwest endoutdoor showerconch burgerjamaican breakfastwaves crashingcoffee potseaside cottageceiling fanlaid backgarden roomevery morningocean siderick's caferock housealways felt safeclear water
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 11, 2014

The cliff side of this resort is beautiful! Right off the cliffs and nothing but ocean view! The swimming pool here is nothing at all to brag about, felt like bath water and not very clean, but who needs the pool when you have the ocean to swim in right there. Very nice and clean rooms, the shower was outside, which is a little different, but enclosed enough to shower, but different. We had a/c in our room, thank goodness, you need it with the humidity! The restaurant was just a couple of feet from our room, which I highly recommend! All and all nice room, would stay there again, as long as its on the cliff side! Very nice & quiet!

Room Tip: Cliff side is the best
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MelPHorn
David P, Manager at Xtabi Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Hello my friends,
We are very grateful that you have taken the time to post such a nice review. We are very happy we were able to fulfill your holiday days with pleasure.
My staff and I hope that we may have you as guest again some day. thanks for making it XTABI

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I have stayed @ X-Tabi, on and off over the last 25 years.
I really enjoyed when Janet ran the restaurant, and I miss her sweet and personable demeanor.

I got to X-Tabi early in the morning,(June 3rd) and I had to move right in, because I had "stuff" for my mini frig. Room #21 is spacious, and I like that it is detached and has its own garden verandah. The cleaning woman, came the next day, and mopped the floor with water. My feet were black from the filth, so I "borrowed" a mop, and used actual soap and water, and then it was fine and shining.

I only had ceiling fans in my room, and learned as other guests arrived, that I was paying $8.00 more a night, while those with ac and tv were paying $50.00/US night for a 5 night stay. I also had to pay an additional fee to the cleaning person, that let me borrow her coffee maker. They claim that "you have a kitchen", for the reasoning why I paid more. If I am dishing out $15.00 for something that is in a normal kitchen, then one could not really say, it is an actual kitchen. AC uses much more "current", then fans and the tiny frig. Even when I made them aware, they did not offer me a room with ac. #21 needs even a small wall ac, at least in the bedroom, June-October.
I met two guests, that had to be moved, (3) x's, because their ac did not work. They said they were not coming back either, due to some "drama" going on with some employees.

I stayed for 12 nights, and I was a returning "garden-side", guest. None of that matters at X-Tabi.
The fact it is "slow season" also had no bearing on the rate. Staying for weeks, has no bearing on the rate. I was told I was getting a break for paying cash, until I logged onto their website and saw I was paying MORE than what I was suppose to! I went right to the front desk to relay this finding, and suddenly it was about "tax", but I never got a receipt.

I intend to swim at X-Tabi in the future, but no plans to stay there again. The security guard that woke me @ 6AM for taxi fare (a few years ago) is still working there!
There is now a sign in the rooms, saying "Nobody that works there should be asking you for anything". That whole circumstance was rude, annoying and unprofessional, but this is the attitude or "tone", set by who is managing now.

The sea water there is gorgeous, and the bartenders and yard workers are very friendly and kind. There is no disputing this spot is wonderful for snorkeling. They blew my water floats up for me and always greeted me with a smile.

They have excellent, but pricey food. It is a nice splurge, once in a while, but I was thankful to find a nice curry conch dinner for $3.00/US rather than $18.00/US. I did have lunch,once, which was a small bowl of pumpkin soup and a fresh green salad with mango dressing. It was delish, but it was $12.00. The ambiance is part of the price, which makes sense, just not for someone staying for a longer period of time. The blender drinks are $7.00/US and Red Stripe, is almost $4.00! I could get a full dinner down the road, for less than the price of a single drink.

Omar, the bartender, that has been working at X-Tabi for years is a very sweet, thoughtful and a very efficient staff person. Always has a smile to greet you, and he plays all my favorite reggae vibes. Thanks Omar! :-) for being thoughtful on my birthday.

X-Tabi has a nice pool on the garden side, that is nice at night! The whole yard is lush and gorgeous, thanks to very loyal employees, who obviously take pride in all they do.

The biggest complaint I have heard is: "The rooms are getting run down, are not being fixed, but the prices remain the same." I have to agree with that statement. I also think that every room needs a wall unit ac for the bedroom. Even the rooms on the sea, tend to be terribly hot in the summer months.
I wish someone else managed this jewel of a spot~

Room Tip: May-October, you need a room with AC. Any other month, choose what you can afford, but do not expect things go be updated or super clean. Rooms closer to the pool are quieter if you stay on the garden side.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Sista-Levi

Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

This review is based only on the Xtabi as a swimming location. Wonderful and beautiful for the experienced swimmer ONLY. Three different area the check out, two platforms and a cave entry, WoW. The beer is pricey just FYI and open from 8am - 11pm to non-hotel guest.....enjoy.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Esintial D

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

I visit Negril annually as an independent traveller. I usually go for small basic properties but was travelling with my son and his partner so went for Xtabi.
Set out on both sides of the road with chalets/rooms/gardens and the swimming pool on one side and bar/restaurant/sun decks on the other. This is not an issue as it takes seconds to get to the sea side. The chalets all have private seating/loungers outside and are set out simply but nice and in an authentic Jamaican style. There is a small car park and I did notice that a security guard was on site late at night.
Once over by the sea there are plenty of loungers and a shower. A restaurant with stunning sea view and a fantastic circular bar. Although there is no beach on this stretch of the coast as the resort is set on the cliffs there are several rocky platforms with ladders to the sea and for the adventurous diving platforms. I found these to be far better than the beach as you can really swim in the crystal clear water. Along the cliffs and running under the hotel are caves which are fun to cool off in.
The staff at Xtabi are fantastic. Polite, efficient and nothing is too much trouble.
A couple of supermarkets, craft stalls and restaurants in close proximity and not far from Ricks Cafe and the Lighthouse.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Xtabi

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank mumzel

Reviewed May 19, 2014

The most important thing to mention here is the excellent people who work here. The staff is so nice. In particular, Abby, Kevin, Omar, Laconia, Kimberly, George, and the cleaning maids made the stay so much fun. The views from the cliffs are incredible. Some of the best restaurants I've ever been to are nearby. So is a convenience store. I suggest talk with everybody at the resort - guests, staff, and visitors - you never know what might germinate from a simple hello. Everything is laid back and perfect for relaxation. Only complaint is the prices of the food/drinks at the restaurant - very pricey compared to some of the local places nearby. I hope the staff makes fare wages because they deserve such in my opinion.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends