“Wonderful 10 day vacation at Xtabi”
Review of Xtabi Resort

Xtabi Resort
Ranked #34 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Vermont
“Wonderful 10 day vacation at Xtabi”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I spent a wonderful 10 days at Xtabi at the end of November, and I will definitely be back in the very near future. (I apologize for my late review, but I ended up having an unplanned surgery right after returning from vacation!) After 25 visits to Negril, this was my first on the west end and I am so happy that I made the decision to stay at Xtabi. I had a superior, gardenside room, with A/C and TV. The room was spacious and had a lovely balcony. Since I was traveling by myself, I really felt that I did not need my own cottage. I viewed several of the various accomadations and found them all to be very accomodating and pleasant. I would stay in any of them without any reservation, and be very happy. They are nacely decorated and very clean. Housekeeping staff are lovely and do a great job! My room was always meticulously clean and ready with fresh towels. The bathroom was also spacious and had a great shower with excellent water pressure. I have stayed in many hotels in this category and feel that Xtabi gives you excellent service and accomodations for the price. The staff were all wonderful on both sides of the road! I enjoyed day after day of great meals and drinks at the bar. I had a large variety of the many dishes and enjoyed every meal that I ordered. The prices are reasonable for the quality and quantity of food that is served. I especially enjoyed the grilled lobster and the grilled chicken.The service was always superior. The view is tremendous and so relaxing. I also appreciated that the bar carries great wine as well as other topshelf liquor, but please try the local rum cream! It's a real treat.
In conclusion, you definitely get more than what you pay for at Xtabi! This reasonably priced resort is perfect for those of you that want to relax away from the all inclusive resorts that often herd you into activities and dining. All of your basic needs will be met at a fraction of the cost, and the service is just phenominal! they clearly care about their customer service and it shows! Great job to all...you made my vacation just wonderful. Thank you so much and see you again soon!

Room Tip: There are many interesting room accomodations including small cottages, hotel type rooms, and cottag...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank celebrity1Vermont
David P, Public Relations Manager at Xtabi Resort, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Wow, we are very glad to hear that all went well with your procedure and your doing well.
Thanks for the great report. And we are thank full you made it Xtabi.
Byee for now and rest up .....Jamaica is waiting for you.
Xtabi Crew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We (family of four, kids ages 10 and 12) stayed in Bloody Bay, but spent the day swimming, snorkeling, jumping off the cliffs and eating at Xtabi. What a GREAT day! The staff was so nice and the restaurant was delicious. The location is beautiful!! The whole experience was so relaxed and jumping off the cliffs so fun.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MominBoulder
Xtabi, Guest Relations Manager at Xtabi Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you for your post its always great to hear back from guests and family's
just passing by or staying who want to enjoy a relaxing day at Xtabi and get there feedback
So we can continue to move forward and improve.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!!
Lund, Sweden
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed at a hotel up the street and came to Xtabi almost everyday to swim, go in the caves chill out with a drink and have lunch. The environment is so chill and beautiful- the caves are amazing and its a snorkeling heaven. Best atmosphere of all the places we went on the cliffside- would love to stay here in the future!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ashley p
Thank you for your positive comments. It is always our delight to hear such positive feedback. We are most happy that you loved the atmosphere and had a wonderful time passing by at Xtabi. We look forward in welcoming you again here in the near future.

Thank you.
United States
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We returned to Xtabi in December and were pleased to find that some upgrades had been made and the plumbing especially was much improved. Unfortunately there had been staff changes in the office which led to some serious confusion/frustration about the rate we were to be charged and the personality plus people seem to be mostly gone. Luckily we had our paperwork for the rate agreed on. Xtabi may price themselves out of the value conscious traveler (which we are) market with the large increase. The Gardens are more beautiful than ever and the property is very clean inside and out. However the worst part of this visit was a dog tied near the pool which barked whenever anyone was swimming, and throughout the day and night. We complained to the office about it and were met with a shrug and told it was the owners dog so nothing to do for it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank bobbyb421
Xtabi, General Manager at Xtabi Resort, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
I thank you for your comments, I do totally agree that the dog is a nuisance, I was talked into taking a dog from a person who was leaving the island. 5 days after having this barking dog left with me I had to do a short trip to the US of A for a week. I know that this is not helping you and your inconvenient. I am trying to train this dog not to bark at everything, even his own shadow.
When I was off the Island I left the dog with my nephew and he tried to control he dog.... but as you rightfully said he was a nuisance. I am making head way. He is a good watchdog... but is still a puppy. I have train him to stop barking when I call to him, but I am working to teach him not to bark so often.
So for the staff, when your staff think we are working for them it becomes a problem. Running a business requires a certain discipline from both management and staff. when they do not want to be part of the team what ??? Time for a change.... As with the cost of doing business on an Island, and not to different that any where. Prices change and we can not stay in business if we do not have out act together. Our rates changed 5 % and we still have the best rates for the cottages on the west end. I do hope you had some fun while you were here. I will try to make it up to you when you return. We will continue to try our best to make our guest happy. I believe we are back on track here now. Cheers & happy new year.
Dave Preble
Tbilisi, Georgia
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Xtabi is wonderful. Great food, great drinks, great view...what more could you want. They have caves, cliffs to jump off and tons of little caves and swim throughs to explore. The staff is nice. The main bar has dominos and checkers to play good music. When we were there my aunt took a tour of a few of the rooms and said they were nice and big...basic but nice. I would definitely suggest going to spend the day. Try e omelettes and French toast, have a piña colada and be sure to jump. It looks scarier than it is :)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank spicypepper21
Thank you for your positive comments. It is always our delight to exceed our guests expectations. We are most happy that you had a wonderful time here at Xtabi and it surroundings. We look forward in welcoming you again here with friends in the near future.

Thanks again.
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

We have been staying here well over 20 years, always clean very friendly and has everything you need, from the view to the food.... I highly recommend to anyone going to negril!!! The staff is wonderful and for the price I just don't think it gets any better!!!!! Breathtaking.....

Stayed December 2013
2 Thank iriegirl1009
Thank you for your positive feedback, regarding your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear that your stay was a relaxing and enjoyable one, as our aim is always to provide our guests with a welcoming, warm, relaxed and hassle free environment. Thank you again!! For your wonderful compliments and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.
New Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Xtabi is absolutely a lovely charming place. For starters, its in Negril, which is arguably the prettiest place in Jamaica. Your basic choices are the beach places vs. the cliff places. The views from cliffs are spectacular, so I vote cliffs. And you can always walk or get a taxi over to the beach. Xtabi has been there for a while, and its small. And my rule for great places is to stay small. Food, service and charm go down exponentially as size goes up. And consistent with this rule, Xtabi's food and service are superb. You can actually get to know your fellow guests at a small place--and we met the most interesting folks from everywhere in the world.We met couples at the restaurant who had come over from the large inclusives because our food and atmosphere was so much better (most of the big inclusives fly their food in from Miami--yuck). George and Omar are wonderful bar-tenders, and the bar and cliff-side restaurant invite serious deep relaxation. Swimming, snorkling and cliff-diving are right there, literally right off the hotel. Keep in mind that you don't get beach on the cliff side places, you've got to go to the other side of Negril if you want white sand beach.

There's a lot to do and see nearby. We hired a boat (Vincent's) to take us to the reef for snorkling. Highly recommend it--$30 a person for 3 hours, which is plenty. Vincent, and other captains, will take you out fishing or up the Negril River too. The staff (like Devon who was awesome) will help you connect with local captians, and anything else you might want. There's the Negril LIghthouse (do climb up; don't engage the guys who hang out on the grounds, unless you want to pay them for watching daredevil diving). Rick's is next to the lighthouse--its a kid zoo, but you probably want to pop in for a quick drink just to see the scene). There's also the Rockhouse next door, which has 3 different dining areas (we liked the Pushcart the best) for a change of pace. And the outdoor jerk place next door is great too.

Value-wise Xtabi is a great deal. You can pay a lot more at the newer places on the cliffs, but do no better for charm and aesthetics. Reservations were smooth, no unpleasant surprises. But the strongest testimony for Xtabi is the "returners." We met several folks who were serious regulars, including one couple who has been coming to Negril for 20 years, and who were back there for their 10th time. You can really get attached to this place!

Room Tip: Rooms that overlook the ocean are the best.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mespellmann

George and Omar say hi ;-)