“Peaceful and Beautiful”

Ranked #34 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Chicago, Illinois
“Peaceful and Beautiful”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed in a sea front cottage. All are wonderful - old-school Negril. Some are less private. Mine was very private, but close to the bar - but which was never a problem. Beautiful gardens. Good restaurant. Well located - easy to reach all cliff-side hotels, bars and restaurants, and the beach is 10 minutes away. One of the most beautiful spots on the cliffs, perhaps along with Rockhouse and Tensing Pen (and a few others). Water is fantastic. Snorkeling is some of the best in Negril. Great sun deck! Big pool on the garden side. Private, romantic and easy. A little rustic. Not cheap compared to other options in Negril, and even on the cliffs, but not the most expensive, and its charm is among the very best. For that reason -and I've stayed in many paces there- I consider this one of the the best values I've encountered on the cliffs.

Room Tip: All sea front cottages are very nice, and about equal. The slightly nicer ones are slightly less pri...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ericworld

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I've been to Negril about 14 times and stayed at Xtabi on the garden side twice. Both times my husband and I went with another couple, and we had a great time. We have stayed a few other places in the cliffs and we really enjoyed Xtabi's whole package - price, cleanliness, staff, view, food. This is not a fancy hotel, but it will provide everything you need. The rooms are clean and pretty and we felt safe here. We did utilize the pool quite a bit which also wasn't fancy, but provided everything we needed. I love their 'hut-like' bar area and you can't beat the cliffs view and caves. We ate here a few times for breakfast (love the fried plantain) and several times for supper - the food was all good.
We haven't stayed here in a few years because we decided we prefer the beach, but I would definitely consider Xtabi if I stayed in the cliffs again. Even though we stay on the beach now, we do try to get to Xtabi for supper on each trip.

Room Tip: At some hotels staying on the garden side is a hassle with a lot of walking back and forth, and cros...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank blondie277
United States
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We really liked this hotel but there doesn't seem to be much maintenance. Our toilet ran and they checked it out and said "jiggle the handle" which we did but didn't seem like a real fix but the worse part was the Air Conditioner that kept freezing up and then dripping water all over and making a racket so bad you couldn't sleep. We paid more for an Air Conditioning room and it only
worked for an hour a night so we finally gave up after no fix for three days and moved on to another hotel. Also the neighbors had a refrigerator that wasn't working and it couldn't be fixed. On the plus side the people were great and the place was really clean.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for Air Conditioning as it wasn't working.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed December 22, 2012

This is a simple, beautiful, fun place to stay. Jamaica loves its tourists! They go above and beyond to take care of them and I always felt safe and welcome. The staff is like family. I DID NOT get to enjoy the gorgeous caves beneath the bar because the rocks + hurricane force winds = certain disaster but I did admire their beauty and I can see how this spot is jumpin' during fairer weather. I fell in love with Jamaica while I was there. I got to spend a lot of time with the people there and they were fair and kind. Special shout out to Omar the security guard who always seemed to be keeping an eye out from a distance and knew who belonged. He had feet like a cat I tell you! The food in the restraunt is incredible. Must visit in Negril!

Room Tip: Try to face the Ocean. If the weather is bad DO NOT STAY in a cliff side room. The waves will find y...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank TheTravelingVixen
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed November 29, 2012

A current visitor at Xtabi - I couldn't be happier. Negril itself is a beautiful city, but this hotel is like a "once in a life time" experience, yet you'll love it so much, you know it won't be just once. There are staff members who have been here since the beginning, which speaks to the loyalty of the people working here. We ran into people who have been coming to this hotel for over 20 years - again speaking to the service, charm and splendor of this hotel. While the rooms are across the street, it's by no means an inconvenience. The view from room #16 is perfect to see the action on the street and hotel bar. The location is perfect - not for walking (and you wouldn't really want to any way) but it's a cheap cab to the local supermarket for essentials and drinks...etc. The onsite restaurant is amazing,with great service. The owner David is a gentleman, filled with mystery and fun stories of building the hotel. If I can do this place any justice, I'd say the pictures are nothing compared to the views here. Disclosure - this is a place for those who do not mind a more rustic, down to earth atmosphere. If you like big, chain hotels, this is certainly not the place for you. If you enjoy value for your $, connect with the country and get a real sense of the jamaican way of life? Then come to Xtabi and stay for as long as you can.

Room Tip: Not really a place for kids; Very private and people/others tend to do their own thing - very casual...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Shorty J
Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Spent a few days here and enjoyed it immensely. The grounds are well kept... spotless really... and the staff is friendly and professional. We had a small room overlooking the ocean. The view and the ambiance was great,

We really enjoyed going across the street for a breathtaking view of the cliffs, and a stroll through the caves

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pat B
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed November 22, 2012

What a great week I had at Xtabi. The swimming off the cliffs was so beautiful I was in at least 2 times a day. The cliffs were perfect for jumping and the snorkelling was awesome (I suggest snorkelling over to the cliffs of 3 Dives to see the lobster graveyard!).
The staff were so friendly and genuinely happy. They do a great job of making sure you are happy and safe and they will answer any question you have. The pool was so nice and well looked after, any time I wasn't in the ocean you could find me there.
Our room in the hotel was very large and comfortable, but the big cabin where my parents stayed was so nice! It was our own personal cottage. We were able to cook our breakfasts there which saved us a bundle of money. Only suggestion, bring a coffee pot!

I had a wonderful time at Xtabi. I wish I was still there. But, as I was reminded, you have to leave so that you can come back!

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family