“stylish, immaculately clean, excellent service, deicious restaurants”
Review of Rockhouse Hotel

Rockhouse Hotel
Ranked #3 of 80 Hotels in Negril
NYC
“stylish, immaculately clean, excellent service, deicious restaurants”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

We really enjoyed our quick weekend get away at Rockhouse Hotel. It was our first time in Jamaica and I would absolutely return to both the country and this hotel.

This hotel is what I think all boutique hotels probably aspire to be, but mostly fail. My main concerns/complaints in boutique hotels are 1) terrible service/untrained or just disinterested staff, 2) cheap/poor quality construction materials so you feel like the hotel is a battered Ikea showroom 3) lack of cleanliness. Rockhouse suffered from NONE of these typical shortcomings. They have all of this worked out and they get it RIGHT! You feel the care of the owners and the staff in every detail, it's impressive. A cool, chic hotel vision well executed.

Rockhouse staff were all efficient & warmly courteous, from front desk, to the restaurant, to the pool, to the housekeeping staff.

We spent 2 nights in the least expensive room, a standard room, and the room itself was well designed, immaculately clean from the linens and towels to the bathroom tile to the furniture - everything was spotless (my dust and mould allergies make me very aware of cleanliness in hotels), the bathroom products are all aromatherapy and natural and very nice to use (I'm also allergic to chemical fragrances). The room has no glass, the windows are wood louvre windows with mosquito screens which I like because I never use AC (it triggers me allergies plus I find it unpleasant). BUT - the open quality of the rooms mean that you can hear your neighbors. So unfortunately we checked in on a Saturday evening and after a lovely dinner were ready to get a good nights sleep - our weekend was purely for rest & relaxation. Unfortunately, the people in the rooms below us were wanting to "party". Lots of loud chatter, smoke would waft up into our room, plus now everyone has a smart phone and a tablet it's possible to play really crappy quality music from your handheld device, which our neighbors proceeded to do. So, I was woken up by really tinny sounding music. This went on btw 10.30-11.15pm until I finally decided to call front desk and complain, and they fixed the situation by coming to the room and asking the people to turn off their music. Which was a relief and then all was quiet. The following night was Sunday and those party people had checked out, so we slept well at night, but then were forced out of our room by a couple beneath our room who played Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston etc from an iPad starting at 7.30am.

So, I decided to upgrade us for our 3rd and final night to a studio room. It was much quieter in this building. No-one played music, no-one was smoking (or at least if they were it didn't waft into our room) plus there was not a path or thoroughfare right next to our room so we didn't hear people walking past and talking. Big improvement. The rooms were also larger with a lovely ocean view and 2 balconies.

One thing about the studio room - I think the mattress might have been slightly older than in the standard room, cause it had a bit of a sag in the middle, and it killed my back. Mattress firmness is such a personal thing, but I just want anyone else who has a bad back to know the mattresses are all soft/medium firm, definitely not firm. This is an issue for my neck, but then if you add a centre sag, it's a real problem, i tossed and turned the whole night and woke up in quite a lot of discomfort until I could go do some pilates and stretch my back out. If I had been staying longer I would have asked if they can put a hard wooden board under the mattress - this solution absolutely firms up a mattress with a sagging/sloping middle, or a too soft mattress, some hotels offer this, but not all, as we checked out that day I did not get a chance to ask if Rockhouse can do this. I hope so - cause I actually really want to stay there again - everything was perfect except for the noisy neighbors in room 34 (luck of the draw really) and the sloping/saggy mattress in room 27.

The food was delicious, we ate all our meals on the property (we tried to venture off to 3 Dives but it was closed every time we walked there!).

The spa was lovely, beautifully designed and the staff were all very nice. I had a fantastic foot massage from Sharika.

The pool area is spectacular, we spent all day every day under an umbrella just reading and swimming. The ocean is warm, safe, gorgeous - there;s stairs and ladders on the cliffs to get down into the water, reminds me of bits of Sth France (around Port La Galere).

In summary:
Chic, well designed, well considered, at all room levels/price points. Super clean. Great staff. Nice bathroom products (they give you aloe lotion - excellent touch, thoughtful detail). Great food.

Bummer about this music/noise issue in the Standard/Deluxe Standard/Studio Rooms. Maybe the property could enforce a "no playing music" rule in the rooms? This wouldn't be necessary for the villas as they are all detached and don't really have close neighbors to disturb, but in the small rooms it could make a big difference. No-one should have to go to sleep and wake up to someone else's playlist pushing out of a tinny handheld device.

Room Tip: if you need quiet, standard rooms in the garden can be a bit noisy as they are closest to the recept...
2 Thank AlastairCookieNYC
Charlotte_WallaceGM, General Manager at Rockhouse Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
I would like to thank this guest for writing a review and for sharing her opinion on the hotel’s team being warm and efficient, and for the extremely positive ratings on our spa, food and views. We are also happy to get the specific feedback on the mattress in this specific Studio and we wish we had the opportunity to rectify this while the guest was on property. We have immediately discarded this mattress (which was quite new) and replaced it with a brand new mattress and mattress pad. We understand a good nights sleep is critical to our guests and we take very seriously their comfort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 29, 2014

My boyfriend and I just got back from three days at Rockhouse. It was our second time in Negril and we were thrilled to find Rockhouse this time around. We stayed in a standard room for the first two nights and a villa for the third. While the villa was beyond beautiful and luxurious, we could've stayed happily in the standard room for the entire time. From the art work to the delicious smelling soaps, every detail was thought of in our room. My boyfriend could not stop taking pictures of the beautiful architecture and rock work. We loved snorkeling and lounging on their various cliffside perches. Everyone was so friendly and made us feel relaxed and very welcome- true Jamaican hospitality! Our only complaints were that there seemed to be a charge for everything (snorkel gear) and it was a bit hard to find cliffside lounge chairs if you didn't have your own villa.

These were minor details that were soon forgotten over Drunken Coconuts made by Gossett behind the bar. Make sure to check out the live music at the Pushcard Restaurant, shake hands with the warm, glamorous General Manager, Charlotte, and if you get the chance, head to the organic farm, Zimbali, for an excellent cooking class and dinner.

Room Tip: If you are like us and trying to save money, stay in a standard room. They are lovely! Ask to be on...
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

My wife and 14 year old son Saturday here last week while in Negril for the week. From the time we arrived, it was incredible. Friendly service, beautiful grounds, and a dream resort to visit. The restaurants are to die for. Backgrounds you only see in pictures. Thanks to all the great staff at Rockhouse, we will be back.

Stayed April 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Rockhouse for my honeymoon. The beauty of my property and the ocean surpassed my level of expectation. The only negatives I can give are it's a 1.5 hour drive from airport and even further for most excursions. The wife and I like to walk so it we had to take taxis ($10 each way) to the beach (7 mile) as you dont want to walk along the street outside the hotel (too dangerous) with that said, none of this is the hotel's fault. In fact, I'm so happy I stayed here instead of the beach since the worst part of our trip was being aproached relentlessly my vendors while on the beach. The rooms were comfortable. The walkways were well designed and beautiful. The snorkeling was great on the property. The best part was the service. I've stayed at some really well respected hotels/resorts in the states and none came close to the genuine level of service this place gives. Its so small(35 rooms I think) there is twice as many staff as guests. All very friendly and asking you how they can make your stay better Would go back just on that alone. If you're looking for a quiet hotel with amazing sunsets, and unbelievabe service, you can't go wrong with the Rockhouse!

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank fizzfactory
Deerfield Beach, Florida
Reviewed April 23, 2014

What can I say, I've been here 3 times and each time it's as beautiful as the next. It's super quiet, isolated, magnificent and bohemian. If you like the Ritz Carlton and fast service, this place is not for you. It's charming, great staff that will talk to you but not be in a big hurry as for everyone is enjoying the "good life"
I've stayed in the Garden Villas and the Standard Villas, both are amazing. If you are on a budget stay in the studio or book in advance one of the 2 Garden Villas. They are all sublime and you receive the same service.
The pool bar is filled with relaxed staff that will chat with you or make you drinks, give you local recommendations and be friend you about your story. The swimming pool is the most chill place as for it is an Infinite pool that you can lay out or grab a raft and relax. It also has 2 private lounge chairs you can relax at all day with your partner that is quiet but close!
Restaurants -The Pushcart is the best food on the island - authentic, romantic and moderatly price. The main restaurant is fabulous, laid back and easy going with candle light at night making the perfect dinner for 2. There is a "special" table located on the Cliffs, you can request this isolated table that overlooks the resturant in advice if you email the. If your on your honeymoon - do this on the first night - its sensational and makes you feel so special.
The food is moderately priced, $12-25 an entree. The value is beyond.

Put it this way, you can listen to the waves crash, visit the beautiful, tranquil spa on your own or layout at the pool alone and then chat with other guest or staff, making it a very respectable and bohemian resort that does not feel touristy or uppity. It is my favorite place on the planet!

Did I mention you can lay out on any stone pathway under an umbrella just on top of the Caribbean sea until you get hot and then jump off the cliffs to go for a swim or snorkel. It's really a little piece of heaven.

Room Tip: Garden Villas are my favorite. If you book a regular villa, I'd request my parents room which wa...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 23, 2014

The Rockhouse is by far one of the best places I have ever stayed. The staff are helpful and friendly. The food at the restaurants is out of this world (eat as much of the snapper at Push Cart as you possibly can). The pool bar has a great happy hour (2 for 1 drinks). There are cute shops across the street with vendors selling tacky little souvenirs and beer. My husband and I are all about exploring but only left the hotel grounds a couple of times as they had everything you could possibly want in one place. The snorkeling is awesome - we saw sting rays, jellyfish, and beautiful fish and coral. The saltwater pool is great too. We stayed in one of the smaller less expensive rooms and it was surrounded by lush jungle. The room was beautiful and the bed was one of the best I've slept in (I'm a flight attendant so I live in hotels). We did a tour of one of the premium villas and we will definitely fork over the cash next year and get one of those! Bottom line: GO THERE!

2 Thank brookebader
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I just spent 3 nights at Rockhouse and have now moved to TENSINGPEN.
NO COMPARISON IN MY VIEW... WITH TENSINGPEN THE WINNER BY FAR.
I COME TO Jamaica frequently,and have stayed at several hotels. I have known of Rockhouse for years, and have eaten at the restaurant on several occasions. At one time this hotel would have deserved a 4 star rating...now, 3 star at best. Though the bay is magnificent, the restaurant pretty good and the staff quite friendly, this hotel has lost its magic touch. It is a bit run down at this point and not up to the standards of its pricing. I hope they get their act together.. I love Negril.

5 Thank 969Joe_G_13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#5 of 80 in Negril
The Caves
The Caves
#6 of 80 in Negril

Been to Rockhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!