“Ultimate lux boutique experience in the Caribbean - value!!”
Review of Rockhouse Hotel

Rockhouse Hotel
Ranked #3 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Aspen, Colorado
“Ultimate lux boutique experience in the Caribbean - value!!”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

I have visited Jamaica over 10 times with family and friends for it's beaches, golf and most importantly, the people. Negril was always a favorite for the 4-mile beach however, once I discovered the Rockhouse on the cliffs... everything changed. This trip was for a wedding at the Negril Treehouse which was nice staying on the beach (and great for kids and families) but there was not enough relaxation with the constant "spring break" vibe and incessant peddling. Went to dinner at Rockhouse one evening and I found myself extending my trip just so I could stay there...
All the ingredients that make for the ultimate lux boutique experience were in abundance at Rockhouse: incredible staff that are engaging, responsive and sought after, gorgeous grounds and impeccably maintained rooms, excellent food (try the coconut toast at b'fst), handmade soaps and bathroom amenities and all was well-priced. I have to note that I shopped the hotel boutique for everything... they support locally made wares, clothing and art. I bought something for everyone on my list including my own house: Handmade pillows for my bed infused with lavender, locally made candles, books and sarongs. At the end of my trip on the way back to Montego Bay, I stopped at the "world-class resort" called Round Hill where I had stayed many times over 18 years ago just to see how the two resorts compared to eachother. The Rockhouse dominated... in terms of beach/water experience, local authenticity, views, location, amenities and style: the boutique at Rockhouse was more of-the-moment and fun to shop than Round Hill.
The spa experience at Rockhouse was magnificent and my expectations are very high - the spa staff was offering a free demo of services on the Yoga deck so after trying the reflexology massage, I couldn't wait to book a massage. It rained for 2 hours one afternoon and that just made the spa more tranquil and the massage mesmerizing. I enjoyed the spa more than the infamous Four Seasons at Hualalai and if that doesn't say it all...I purchased as much as I could fit into my suitcase from the spa collection of products.
The location of the property on the cliffs not only provides privacy and exclusivity, but a true adventure. Jumping from the many different cliffs scattered throughout the property was exciting and fun... I'm not a confident swimmer and the water was just so inviting and calm... I became a confident snorkler! A true reef snorkling experience... there's a reason the hotel offers a disposable underwater camera in your amenity basket. I will definitely return soon .. for a perfect romantic destination. I missed the Rockhouse Foundation Tour and will surely attend during my next stay... as well as the Moreland Hill School tour.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in a studio (if you choose a room over a villa experience) with an ocean view - great pr...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dayna H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
New York City
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Loved the sophisticated tropical setting of the restaurant/bar on the cliffs of Negril. First time dining at Rock House. The menu consists of the usual healthy, fresh, local fare: shrimp, snapper, chicken...but had additional options. Nice presentation of food in an unbelievably beautiful, romantic setting. We arrived at sunset. The tables look out over the sea, the sunset and charming Rock House cottages nestled along the craggy cliffs. The restaurant/bar is half outside along the water, half underneath a high ceiling with fans. There is an area filled with huge, over-stuffed chairs in front of low tables--I was tempted to plop down in one of the chairs and play backgammon or chess, while we waited for our driver to pick us up and bring us back to our beach cottage. The crowd at Rock House seemed affluent, educated, interesting and exceptionally hip for Negril. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a table outside.
Plymouth, Minnesota
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

Going into this trip I was a little leery of the issues that other reviewers on Trip Advisor noted for The Rockhouse, but I went with the mindset of disregarding the very top & the very bottom of the reviews. I've now come to the conclusion that I didn't notice any of the negatives mentioned by others during my actual trip.

The hotel property was well-groomed & clean, it is obvious that the entire staff takes pride in the property & reputation of The Rockhouse. I don't believe I passed a single employee during my stay that didn't greet me in some way or ask about my well-being.

I've never stayed at a property where I was made to feel like such a part of the family!! It was wonderful!! Every one of the staff members seemed more as if they were welcoming a guest to their home rather than just doing there job. Not something you'll find in many places these days.

We stayed in a Deluxe Standard room & it was perfect for us. There was some noise from the surrounding rooms (furniture being drug across the floor & conversations), but the room is not where you spend your time on vacation. The accommodations were very clean & all of your needs were covered - from shampoo, conditioner, aloe & hand soap to bottles of water, beer & snacks in the mini-bar - honestly, I over packed believing some of these items were not going to be available. The minibar pricing for water was quite reasonable ($4 for a large bottle) - I'd likely purchase less at the store in Montego Bay the next time around.

The restaurants on site were great!! I could've handled having all my meals there if I didn't want to get out and see a bit more of Negril. There were quite a few options for food just outside the hotel property and once you get over your fear of walking along the road (perfectly safe, just stay alert!!) there are a few more options.

The pool area was great, nice & relaxing with wonderful service every day. Whether you were drinking their drinks or bringing something of your own out, they were there to serve with a smile!

The service at The Rockhouse was great!! It seemed as if they were determining our needs before we knew them!! I would recommend The Rockhouse to all my friends and family (and have been doing so)!! I will be returning there myself someday...how could I not???

As an additional suggestion, please do try and attend the Rockhouse Foundation tour (ours was on a Thursday), it was a great trip up into the mountains and it gives you a much deeper appreciation for the hotel and what they are doing in the area. The trip up to Moreland Hill School was definitely a highlight of my stay!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Erica T
Negril, Jamaica
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Stayed for a week and must say, we have been to many islands and many places, but overall, the rock house rocks. They have 3 options for eating on premises, the pushcart and their restaurant which are highly rated, and the pool grill, which has authentic and great food. All the rooms on the water are great, they are on the rocks overlooking the nook they occupy. Room#10 is the best I believe. Their spa was perfect and the prices for everything were reasonable in comparison the the quality everything you receive. The only thing I thought they should have done was allow their guests to bring coffee to their rooms before going to breakfast. Other than that, it was well maintained with a great staff.

Room Tip: Room 10 is best on the water but there are a lot with great views.
Tequesta, Florida
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

We recently returned from our third trip to the Rockhouse and it was honestly like going home! Truly the best and most relaxing vacation destination I've ever been to. The staff are phenomenal and the villas are magic. Can't wait to go back next year!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank annabelle4090
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We stayed in a villa here for the Negril portion of our honeymoon. The villas are expensive, but you get what you pay for. Everyone kept telling me how touristy Negril is and how crowded the beach is. They weren't lying for the most part. There are some great places in Negril but in large it is quite touristy. The Rockhouse is your escape. It's very private and we did not regret staying here one bit. Our room was fantastic. We relaxed on our own deck, looming over the ocean which we could jump right into from just a few yards away. As soon as we got here, I put on my trunks and jumped off a 15' bridge into the water. There is plenty of snorkeling to do right at the resort. They rent gear for $5 a day, and there are lots of things to see just off the resort coast. The pool ends at the edge of the world here. You can watch the sunset from anywhere. We checked walked to the edge after dinner and checked out a crazy amount of stars. There is no sand beach here, but you can drive a mile into town and get to 7 mile beach if you want. We preferred staying at the hotel after visiting the crowded beach. If you want a relaxing, very romantic resort in Jamaica, stay here.

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 23, 2014

This review is wayyyyyyyyy overdue. We've been to Negril on several occasions. At The Rockhouse and once somewhere else, on the beach. What a mistake!!!!
I'm not sure that anywhere we go on this island will compare to The Rockhouse.
The rooms (we stayed in a standard, lower floor, on the corner) are clean and large. We had a beautiful covered, private, outdoor patio within the room as well as a sitting area in front of the room. The grounds are perfectly maintained. The staff is WONDERFUL. They seem to know everyone's name which is quite amazing! Shout out to Bally and Chevon! They are fantastic. From clipping me fresh aloe daily, to having our drinks ready when we walked up to the bar - this is top notch service. No screaming kids in the pool - MAJOR plus! The security made us feel safe at all times. The restaurants on property were all delicious. As a matter of fact, the owners own a handful of restaurants in NyC - they were onsite during my stay, so we chatted a bit. Very nice guys. No wonder I felt so at home! There was always a cab waiting to jet us wherever we wanted to go. I'm only sad that I don't immediately book my next return visit upon checkout. The hotel is nearly booked solid ever time I inquire. The secret is out!

Room Tip: We stayed standard room lower on the end. Loved the private patio inside the room!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#5 of 85 in Negril
Catcha Falling Star
Catcha Falling Star
#6 of 85 in Negril

Been to Rockhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!