“Simply Amazing...loved every minute there” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rockhouse Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Rockhouse Hotel
Ranked #3 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Hubbards, Canada
“Simply Amazing...loved every minute there”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Can't believe it's taken me this long to write a review. We traveled to Rockhouse in April 2012 for our honeymoon (TripAdvisor won't let me select that date). What can I say other than it is a magical place and it totally lives up to all of the hype.

The grounds are absolutely fantastic! Beautifully landscaped, with lots of twists and turns and pathways - it's really cool just finding your way around.

We had the cheapest room - Standard (that way we got an extra evening) and it was on the lower level of the green building near the pool. HOWEVER, they really made the effort to make us feel welcome and put flowers around the room, gave us a bottle of champagne, and a spa treatment offer as they knew we were honeymooning. A great welcome.

The rooms are very dark but they are beautiful - the furniture is lovely handcrafted wood and the bed is really romantic. The bathroom is a fantastic stand-alone outdoor shower but very private. The down-side of these rooms (and at $125 a night they were SUPER cheap) is that there is no real private balcony space. We made our own space by using the other side of the room facing a long wall (not really a balcony, and you have to go around the building to use your little space) but you really don't spend a lot of time in your room anyway.

THE FOOD. The food us amazing. There are three restaurant options and all are great. Each has its own 'mood'. We loved the breakfast at the Rockhouse Restaurant where we ate daily, generally did lunch at the pool and went out for dinner or to Pushcart or Rockhouse. Service is warm and friendly. We were very sad that we never got to have the peppa shrimp at Pushcart, there was some kind of a shrimp shortage going on.

The staff are fantastic. We had a few minor issues and they helped us out (bill payment, transfers, etc). They seem genuinely to like working at Rockhouse. If they don't they're doing a good job faking it.

The pool is a wonderful setting to relax with lots of space in shade or sun. The snorkeling was actually very good - I was really surprised. I didn't miss the beach at all. In fact we went to hang out in Negril at the beach one day and the vibe was so totally different than Rockhouse and the cliffs, we were a bit turned off. It is a lot more private at Rockhouse.

The Spa was fantastic. We had a complimentary foot treatment for our honeymoon (amazing) and then I went back for a massage. It is an absolutely wonderful, relaxing and really indulgent experience and the staff were really lovely.

We went to the welcome night and it was worth it, the manager kindly introduced herself and chatted about the property.

There weren't too many people over 50 at Rockhouse. Not that it would be discouraged but I think it's more of a 30 to 40something scene.

I would definitely go back to Rockhouse. I would splurge and get a room that had a balcony (studio - in the green building). One thing I will say about the really upscale rooms (villas) is that you are in full view of the restaurant in some of them, and some people might not be that cool with it. i.e., when you're sitting on your balcony, the entire restaurant can check you out. There are lots of other options for much more private villas on the property. Check out the map carefully.

We went into Negril quite a bit for supplies - beer, snacks, etc and the grocery store was well stocked. The drivers in Negril are crazy but we did enjoy our driver Jermaine who did both our airport transfers, he was amazing. We went through the car service set up by Rockhouse. There are always taxis waiting around so usually a ride is not an issue.

We took advantage of many of the restaurants within walking distance of Rockhouse. Lots of opportunity for great dinners, both rustic and upscale.

All in all it was a fantastic trip, we felt really spoiled and this place is a gem.

Room Tip: If you are staying in a Studio room ask for the one on the end of the building overlooking the pool...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jessica M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

We just got back from another week at the Rockhouse - both my husband and I have traveled a lot, and i NEVER go back to the same resort twice. However, rockhouse is my only exception. The room, food, staff, views - everything is perfect. You feel like you are in Jamaica with the highest level of service. I will be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Rissa0713
Birmingham, Alabama, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

The Rockhouse is a beautiful hotel in an even more beautiful location. Prior to our trip I read reviews and looked at tons of pictures and wasn't sure the rockhouse would be able to live up to the photos. It did. The cliffs, the water and the villas over the water are even more beautiful in person. The pictures simply don't do it justice. We stayed in premium villa 7 and were very pleased. It seemed as though the sunset ended on our terrace. One negative to the premium villa was the outdoor toilet. We burned a mosquito coil or candle at all times in the bathroom because the Mosquitos could be quite bad and nothing seemed to help. The shower is also in a separate outdoor room and we really liked this. Although, both the bathroom and shower rooms in the villas border the walking paths, so voices can be heard. As for service there were a lot of highs and A couple lows, we had some trouble getting room service to bring a bucket of ice to the room, some would,some wouldn't, sometimes they would tell us we had to go to the restaurant to get it and other times they would bring it. The staff were all phenomenal. Marsha, from housekeeping was so nice and on top of everything She asked our names on the first day and every day after greeted us by name. Euril, the gardener, was super friendly and willing to explain the different varieties of plants at the resort and the techniques used to grow them. Rhino, the chef at the pool grill was great as well. If he has the ingredients, he'll make you whatever you want, even if its not on the menu. The food at all 3 restaurants was great, pushcart was our favorite of the 3. The best thing about the rockhouse restaurant is that it can be ordered as room service for the same cost. We ordered it for breakfast everyday,the French toast was amazing.
Overall, I would give e rockhouse a 4.5/5 stars if I could only because of the Mosquitos. My husband mentioned it would've been nice if the offered a fan for the patios to help with the Mosquitos and the heat. We loved the rockhouse and plan return one day. We would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: The premium villa was great, but we saw a standard villa and it was nice too.
2 Thank Kim M
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

we spend a lot of time in JA. and there is no better place than the Rockhouse. we have been staying at the Rock since the mid 90's, and it keeps getting better. If you enjoy things, like fabulous views, wonderful food and the friendliest staff on the island, than this is the place for you. All of the villas are great, with unbeatable views. We always opt for the Premium villas, but they are all wonderful. The food at the main Restaurant is Always great, and the newer restaurant Pushcart is wonderful, cooking up the best in traditional Jamaican Cuisine ( we love the Jerk Chicken, and Peppa Shrimp ). the pool BBQ for lunch is a must. The views are probably the most dramatic on the island, and NO better place to watch a sunset.
Hey, I've never lied to you yet, so get you're Reso. on ASAP !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael R
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

I wish I could give this place 6 stars. I've reviewed several hotels and given them 5. They are lucky I hadn't gone to Rockhouse yet. Amazing location on the cliffs. Crystal clear, calm water. Great food. Tremendous service. We stayed in Villa 18, a regular villa. Not really luxurious and full of amenities, the rooms are more rustic. No TV and we didn't miss it. A/C works good. Bed is comfortable. And the room was absolutely spotless, huge respect to housekeeping.
Jerk chicken and snapper sandwich at pool grill were perfect. Jerk was as good as 3 Dives down the street (I'll review them, too). Push Cart was probably the best, while the Rockhouse Restaurant was also excellent. We didn't have one bad meal.
I like that I could walk out on the street to the local shops and restaurants. It's like a little village right outside the hotel, hard to believe it's in Negril. Really laid back. Great place to relax.
One last note: A few people on here said they didn't get good service and that staff were texting or looking at their phones. I was there six days and didn't see any of that. We felt like we were with friends the whole time. The staff does seem relaxed, but I like that. I know I prefer to be comfortable with my job. From my first e-mails with Lanuna, to Miller who greeted us on arrival, through Ashley, Charlotte the GM, Charlotte the waitress, Chevon, John, Gossett and many others, the staff here is friendly and professional. Thanks everyone. Respect.

Room Tip: Regular Villa would be best choice. Premium Villa second. Higher numbers are farther from the restau...
3 Thank pumaNewJersey
centennial
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Back in the 1980's, a lady names Lisa and a friend discovered this area and created a paradise. We have done quite a bit of travel and have never experienced anything like this place. First off, it is like being in a dense park. It seemed like being here magically set the stress level to zero with the quiet and serene ambulance. We stayed in a studio. Very comfortable, not fancy but it had everything we needed, including NO TV!! Food is wonderful and the two restaurants plus the pool side bar. You want to be treated like you are the most important person around? Stay here. As if you could not feel any better, have a massage. No one pressures you to buy their oils, in fact, I don't think you can. I had two massages because they were so amazing! The water is crystal clear but, you are on a cliff so no beach. But, 7 mile beach is a $10 cab ride away if you need that.
The people here... we wanted to stay forever. You will never be treated better.
Kenny Tours is on site to get you around. We hired them to get us to/from airport as well as around Negril. Also excellent.
If you stay here, you cannot have room 28... we want it kept open for our return!!!
You may read reviews that the restaurants are too expensive. Not true. I do not consider $15-20 excessive for a fantastic meal. Breakfast is around $7-10. Do go to the Pushcart for Curry Lamb and Conk.

Room Tip: Room 28 has a wrap around deck. The huts looked amazing but assume a bit pricey!!
2 Thank geribateman
North Bay, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

The Rockhouse is a hotel, not an all-inclusive. There are three restaurants on site, a pool BBQ, a more formal dining room,The Rockhouse" and a relaxed more casual restaurant, "The Push Cart." The food in all three is superb. There are many opportunities in the area for meals. I recommend Sips and Bites, right next door for a light lunch, or the jerk shack, Three Dives, just a short walkup the road towards Negril. I never felt any danger while walking arond this area during the day or early evening. A great spot for dinner is a short cab ride away at LTU, or at Ivan's Catch a Falling Star. LTU is smaller and a real Jamacian experience, while Ivan's is part of a resort. We stopped at the Hi-Lo (grocery store) in Negril upon arrival and stocked up on breakfast fruit, shacks, yogurt, juices, beer, wine before we arrived, and had the staff empty the mini-bar for us. Accommodations are either circular "Villas", or a motel unit. I have not stayed in the motel unit. The Villas have a king bed with mosquito netting, bathroom with outdoor shower, some chairs and a table, stereo, mini-fridge, and a front patio. There are two types of villas, premium and luxury. Either one is fantastic, so I would choose the cheaper of the two depending on your group size. A coffee maker would be a great addtion, but you can get great coffee from the restautant in the morning for about $3.00 U.S. Each unit also has a sun pad with umbrella set at the edge of the cliff. There is never any trouble getting a sun chair under an umbrella at the pool. The staff here are fantastic, and one of the owners is always on site. He recommends eating with the locals to get a feel for the culture. You can take a free tour to either the Negril Library and Elementary School in town, or another school out of town to see what the Rockhouse Foundation has done for the locals. The Rockhouse Hotel provides all of the adminstrative fees for the Foundation, so that 100% of donations go to into improving the lives of the local people. The hotel also pays a living wage to its staff. There is really nothing to do for children here, and both times we have been here, the guests have all been adults. It is laid back, peaceful, and beautiful. There is no need to go to Rick's Cafe to watch the sunset unless you want to pay an exorbinant price for your drink, or watch the cliff divers. They are interesting, but after you have seen one, you have seen them all. Watching the drunk tourists try the dive can be entertaining. The sunsets at the Rockhouse are second to none. I would recommend Clive's Transport for the trip from Sangster International Airport to the Rockhouse. He is a local with a vast amount of information. We have used him for each of the six trips we have taken to Jamaica. He also provides local tours upon request. Clive also has a foundation to help students whose poverty inhibits their ability to complete an education. On a tour we took to help out one of his students, Clive took us to a bar so far away from the tourist zone, it was like we had arrived in another world. There is no fitness center, not that I was looking for one, but the spa is nice. We had a couples massage in a building on the cliffs, overlooking the ocean. An indescribeable experience. For a good glass bottom boat and snorkel trip, look for Famous Vincent to show up by the Rockhouse Restaurant, in his boat, in the mornings. The area he takes you to snorkle in is great....rays, corals, sea cucumbers, lots of fish. In conclusion, the Rockhouse is a fabulous destination Hotel, but make sure that you engage with the locals for a true Jamaican experience.

Room Tip: They all seem to be good rooms, but Villas 7 and 15 are popular.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Iguana Hunter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#2 of 84 in Negril
Catcha Falling Star
Catcha Falling Star
#5 of 84 in Negril

Been to Rockhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!