“If you stay here, you may never go to an "all-inclusive" in Negril again!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Country Country Beach Cottages

Country Country Beach Cottages
Ranked #23 of 88 Hotels in Negril
“If you stay here, you may never go to an "all-inclusive" in Negril again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

This was my 4th trip to Negril, but first time at a small beachfront hotel. We used the Groupon deal which was an excellent value (sadly, Monique said they probably won't offer it again). It included breakfast and dinner at the hotel's restaurant, and transfers to/from Montego Bay. The driver was waiting as we exited customs with a "Country Country" sign. He offered to stop on the way there, but we were ready to get to the beach. Check in was easy. They asked for a credit card for incidentals (you can charge drinks and lunch to the room). My friend and I had to share a key, but there was a spare key kept at the front desk if we needed it. We were in room 510, which is an upstairs premium room. We had a partial view of the ocean through the trees, but could absolutely hear the waves as they washed ashore. The huge balcony had 2 lounge chairs, a table with chairs, a drying towel rack and a foot bath to wash the sand off your feet before entering your room.

The room had a king size canopy bed and a daybed, which my friend said wasn't all that comfortable but she made do. The king bed was fine and I gave her one of my pillows. The bathroom was small but functional. We brought our own toiletries so didn't use the products in the built-in container in the shower. There was a small TV with remote and quite a few channels. A big enough refrigerator and a pot to make tea or coffee. They also offer a mosquito repellant that you plug in. The windows with shutters and no screens are an issue, but we decided to keep them closed most of the time since the mosquitos were out in full force. Bring bug repellant! The A/C worked beautifully. We peeked into the stand-alone cottages while the maids were cleaning, and the layout was just the same as our upstairs room. We prefered the higher level as it seemed to cut down on the bugs and lizards that got inside. Wi-fi is available in the lobby, ask at the front desk for the code to log in.

The beach is gorgeous and the water is blue and calm. Sometimes they ran out of beach towels toward the end of the day, so be sure to grab some in the morning or bring your own. Never a problem getting a lounge chair or umbrella. There were also some air mattresses for guests to use. My friend negotiated a good deal on a jet ski ride ($30 for 30 minutes) and had a blast. I was the designated picture taker. We did have a couple of cloudy days and rain showers, which we heard was unusual for mid-May. The hotel does not have a swimming pool, though they suggested we could probably use the one at Tree House if we bought some food or a drink there.

The restaurant is the main reason that I may never go to an all-inclusive again - the food was excellent. The banana pancakes melt in your mouth, and all the other breakfast items were good too. Dinner was different each night. The meats were delicious, though I could have done without the spicy sauces. We ate lunch there twice, but meandered down the beach other days to eat at the Tree House restaurant (very good) and at another beachside bar/restaurant just past Margaritaville, I think it was called Manley's on the Beach (it started with an M, I'm sure of that). This place had the best jerk chicken of everywhere we tried. The restaurants do close early, by 930pm, so plan accordingly.

We got a taxi to go to the supermarket in town that first afternoon, and stocked up on snacks and liquor to save money. The cost is about $4.00 one way. Don't waste time and money exchanging American dollars into Jamaican dollars, you can use the US$ there. Be sure to get some small bills for tips.

Being next to Margaritaville turned out to be a plus for us. Country Country was a little quiet with not many guests so we headed over there to play in the ocean, watch people jump off the water trampoline and dance to their music. Really fun when the boat from Beaches pulled in! Friday night the music was loud until 2am so we just walked over there to enjoy the party. Figured we wouldn't be able to sleep anyway! We also checked out Alfred's Ocean Palace which had a great reggae band 2 nights. You can dance barefoot in the sand! The Jungle wasn't our type of scene so we only stayed about 30 minutes (free for ladies on Thursdays before midnight). The music is Hip Hop/House, the crowd is very young and we clearly had on too many clothes!! The security guards at Country Country were fantastic about setting up a taxi for us to go wherever we wanted and taking our room number so they could be certain that we returned safely. They kept track even when we just went for a walk down the beach. I thought that was a good thing because the vendors and Jamaican men in general can be very aggressive. The staff was pleasant and friendly.

Our last night there we took a cab to the West End and ate at LTU Pub. The atmosphere was fun but the food was not good.

I highly recommend this resort and would go back. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Room Tip: I think the second floor units have better views and less insects/lizards.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
8 Thank Jeanne D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

I visited Country Country for a week in late May with my girlfriend and had an amazing time - we'll definitely be back. We loved our private cottage and hanging out on the porch when we needed a break from the sun. The food was absolutely outstanding and we felt safe, relaxed, and well cared for the entire time. While it would be easy to spend all day, every day at Country Country's picturesque section of the beach, its also a great location for taking walks up or down the beach or to visit the West End by taxi. In the end, it's really a shame that so many people end up at the large, all inclusive resorts and never find the more personal and memorable experience that we discovered at Country Country. Treat yourself and stay here, you won't regret it.

6 Thank PatrickGault
Macon, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

This was our second trip to Negril returning to Country Country. We stayed in room 509 which was 2 cottages from the beach. Standing on the porch you could see a bit of the ocean. The room was great. Nothing fancy or frilly. They did have a flat screen tv on the wall which was an upgrade from our last visit a few years ago. The bathroom was way better. The rooms were clean and the bed was firm but I actually liked it. lol. The a/c kept the room super cold - too cold sometimes. There were mosquitoes on the beach this go round and we did have to fight them off - my husband more so than me. The staff was awesome, the food was awesomer (yes, awesomer). I loved the Jamaica Special breakfast! My husband couldn't get enough of the french toast AND omelette breakfasts (which he ordered together). I ate his extra bacon. The fruits that decorated the plate were sweet and good. Pineapple juice that came with the breakfast was delish. We always had chairs and umbrellas! We parked in the far left chair and umbrella and stayed almost all afternoon! Water is clear as always and the beach was wonderful! We did visit the Treehouse next door for our Miami Vice drinks since Country Country didn't have something required to make it. The Miami Vice's next door were AWESOME and I couldn't get enough. I had one dinner at Country Country - curried shrimp and it was very good. We revisited Sweet Spice in town (Andy took us and picked us up) and I ordered goat which wasn't as good as I remembered. Too bony. We had beef patties from the hut to the right of Country Country (a little ways down) - it was good. Ate at Norma's which was VERY good. I had curried shrimp again (ok - so I have a thing for shrimp) and it was good. The chocolate cake for dessert was good - my husband didn't care for it. It was better than the Black Forest Cake at the Charela Inn French Restaurant. ugh. NOT good. Even their Saturday evening entertainment was weak. Norma's had a reggae band play on Sunday night and they started out ok, but then they warmed up, I guess, and were awesome! I can't say enough about Negril. I want to buy property there. I will return. I may try another quaint Jamaica cottage. I prefer to stay at smaller hotels/lodging because I feel the service is more personable and authentic. I can stay at a mega resort anywhere but will I find Country Country anywhere? Probably not. Just try it - you'll like it. I did notice that staying up front closer to the beach you did hear Margarittaville's music a little better. It wasn't anything I couldn't sleep through but you did hear the bass. I don't recall hearing music last visit but we were a little ways back from the beach.

3 Thank cmmccla
Sellersville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

If you're looking for scheduled activities & obnoxious tourists this is NOT the place for you. If you, however, are looking for a quiet, chill place with super staff, delicious food and overall relaxation you can't beat Country Country! When we arrived in Montego Bay we were picked up by Eardly, from Country Country( arranged prior to arrival). Eardly was the best! We took the 1.5 hour drive along the coast, stopped to get a good deal on some Red Stripe and a few groceries, and then arrived at our cottage which was a second floor Premium room with a beautiful mango tree outside of our deck. The rooms have everything you need, are well kept, comfortable and clean, but are not "luxury." If that is what you are looking for..look elsewhere.

A few suggestions:

I. Talk with Francis or Miguel or any of the security guards and they will give you tips on how to navigate 7 mile beach if you have not been to Negril before. There are a LOT of people on the beach who will try to sell you everything from juice to jewelry to...well you know...its all about the individual as it is everywhere in the world. The majority are very kind if you simply smile, and say no thanks, you are good, etc. Some will, however, give you something( tie a bracelet on your wrist) and then you have to be a bit more firm.

II. Although we ate at a few other restaurants on the beach we found Country Country to have really good food and drinks. DON"T GO TO THE PALMS! Awful food, just awful!

III. Its a little bit of a drive but go get massaged at "Jackies on the Reef." Stunning place..you will not regret it!

IV. Catch a Falling Star for a special dinner( also on the cliffs)...again you will not regret it. We stopped by Ricks( right next door) to see the divers...cool but hoards of tourists. Didn't interest me.

V. Aunties for great jerk chicken and fresh dishes right down from Country Country, Iko, the chef takes a lot of pride in his cooking.

VI. Go in to town to the grocery store to get any needed supplies. Stay away from the shops there..I got ripped off majorly. Get enough that you don't need to make several trips into town as its a bit of a hassle.

VII. Sit back and enjoy the amazing beach...turn off your phone, your computer and just swim or float in the breathtaking water.

I would say good for couples with very small children, but if kids are older they won't have much to do.

Don't pack too much...

From the staff, to the food and drink, everything was excellent. Thanks to everyone, Monique, Stacey, Andre, Francis, Miguel, and any I forgot to name for making our stay so wonderful!!

Definitely will be returning!!

Room Tip: second floor, king size bed.
6 Thank Jane M
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Country Country for a week in May. We were pleased with our room, breakfast was good, and the resort grounds pretty and well kept. The only real complaint was the water pressure. We stayed on the second floor of a two story cottage and the water pressure was almost nonexistent. We traveled to Negril during the slow time, so it was very laid back and relaxing.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Amy B
Annapolis, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

We stayed 6 nights in May. Arrived on a Thursday and immigration / customs were quick. Only had carry-on baggage so it was a quick exit. Make sure you take the right exit since there are two. Booked a premium room with breakfast included (High rate for summer). Airport transfers were also booked through the hotel and run by Thriller Tours. Seventy bucks one way not including tip. Picked up by Andy R. Extremely personable and energetic tour guide with great music on the ride. Stopped at high-lo grocery store on the way to pick up groceries..paid in USD and change in JAD. Approximately 1.5 hour ride along the coast and through countryside. Andy was really cool and offered to stop anywhere if we wanted a break etc. The check in process was standard stuff and really quick. We arrived early at 1pm and our room was ready. We requested a ground floor cottage and got one. All cottages are surrounded by lush landscaping and have really nice patios / balconies. Room 516 is one cottage away from the beach..very convenient..furnished with a small refrigerator, A/c, useless futon, small TV, phone, and half broken bed. I won't go into details about the room, but it could use a renovation and it wasn't a good value. Bedsheets and towels not so great, but nice pillows. Toiletries include soap and shampoo dispensed through re-fillable containers. Not fancy, but manageable if you come without. Front desk sells Off, Sunscreen and After-bite itch relief. We couldn't sleep until at least 3 am on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights due to sub woofer bass sounds from Margaritaville. If you are sensitive to stuff like that, get drunk and pass out or ask for a room as far way from Margaritaville as possible...preferably not on the ground floor as that is when you feel the bass. In the day time there was construction noise right behind our room where the hotel is adding new rooms. Breakfast every morning was great. Banana pancakes, honey french toast, jamaican special, omelets..all great stuff. Chef Ricky and Nevil are great guys and will go out of their way if you need. Opal makes the best rum punch and always has a smile for you. Stacey is shy, but service is great. Andre manages the breakfast shift and does a great job at making sure you have what you want. Mango Juice for bout 5 bucks from the juice guy on the beach is a must as are one dollar vegetable patties and one dollar 50 cents chicken patties from NORMAN (guy with bicycle..ask name first b/c there are 2 guys). The vegetable patties are awesome. walk over to AUNTIES thrill corner..west on the beach for a couple of red stripes..jerk chicken etc..good stuff. Romantic dinners at Kuyaba and Catch a Falling Star were worth it. Great views at Catcha on the west-end. Both restaurants offer free pick up and drop off with tip. Sherita's on 7 mile beach does a good job too. Listened to live reggae at Sea Splash one night..nothing great. The entire staff..Wayne, Jason, Serita, Monique, Andre, Dayvon, Hyacinth, Super, Stacey..all were exceptional and went out of their way to accommodate us. We used USD for all transactions. Water is calm, clear, warm and great for swimming. Take MIKE'S Glass Bottom Boat tour for an hour and experience great snorkeling for just fifty bucks a couple. He is honest and provides good quality snorkeling gear if you don't have your own.
Tip well, don't forget sunscreen, and tons of mosquito repellant. Bring your own beach towel if you are particular.

Room Tip: Not 516, not ground floor, and as far away from Margaritaville as possible..unfortunately that will...
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
5 Thank JungleeBhalu
Tofte, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

We loved Country Country! We stayed there for three nights in late April and enjoyed every second of it. Everyone on the staff went above and beyond to accommodate us. Our room was fantastic and the resort grounds are gorgeous. The food in the restaurant was delicious and they change their menu every night so it never gets old. We highly recommend the Jamaican Special on the breakfast menu. We stayed at an all-inclusive later on this same trip and we much rather prefer Country Country for its size, quality of food, and friendly customer service. The only negative that we could think of is that there was noise from the nearby Margaritaville two of the nights, but it didn’t bother us much. Thank you so much to Wayne, Omar, Monique, and all of the staff for making our stay so enjoyable!

Room Tip: Let Country Country arrange your shuttle from the airport. The price is reasonable and our driver wa...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple