“i'll be back”

Ranked #23 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“i'll be back”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Let me say it was a pleasure to stay at the white sands hotel,my three grown up children and i had a great time.The staff were helpful and friendly expecially Jennifer and Henry,the rooms were of a good size,clean,and comfortable.The location is great, you've got the beach on your door step,restaurants,waterpark,cambio, and a 20 minute drive to the famous ricks cafe.There is a chef on site, and cooks a wicked ackee n salfish.If you like pinacolada the bartender gets it right every time.
Great value for money!

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor seem to feel larger due to the elevation of the ceiling(roof) it's no...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank iwah
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Great to hear you and the family had a great time with us. Wonderful to know the staff took care of you. Jennifer and Henry are tremendous. Henry has actually been with us for over 20 years ! Glad you enjoyed the food, drinks and beach. And yes, it is true, we are centrally located on a great part of the beach. We love it when people appreciate getting value for money!

We look forward to hosting you and the family again real soon.

White Sands Negril

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Visited White Sands in July with family and friends. We choose the beach side room thinking we would have a view of the beach but the beach side is exactly how it sounds, the side of the hotel with the beach. The room on the beach side was extremely small. We decided to switch to the Garden side because we were with our children and would have to cross street when returning from dinner at night (parking is only located on the Garden side). The room on the Garden side was very spacious however, the room had a very bad stench which I could not tell if it was coming from outside or from the bathroom. The sheets and towels in the rooms were old and the pillows were lumpy. BEWARE, there are no TV's or telephones in the rooms and the front desk closes at 8pm. The pool was dirty and I never seen anyone in it for the three days that we were there. No place for children, this hotel would be the perfect place for some fellas that are passing through Negril and have night activities planned.

Room Tip: Garden side rooms are much larger
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank Magdelena R
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
We actually do not sell or describe any of our rooms with ocean or beach view. Please read our website. We feel the room descriptions on our site are accurate. I agree with the title of your review ‘You get what you pay for.’ For the dates you stated with us our Summer Special rate is less than $60, including tax. A great rate for a hotel on the Negril beach with our amenities and level of professional management. To think you would get an ocean view room on the Negril beach for that rate is a bit of a stretch. All our standard rooms ( beach side or garden side ) are priced the same.

If you had any issues with your room while you were here and had brought it to the attention of management we would have done our best to accommodate you. Based on what you wrote, you did not come to us, so I can only suggest that when you travel next and have an issue with your hotel room, bring it to the attention of the hotel so you can give management the opportunity to correct the issues.

If you read the ‘About Us’ page on our website we tell readers that if they are the type of travelers who require TV in their room then it would be best if they booked another property. So I gather you did not read our website before you stayed with us.

Your comments about the water quality of our pool are absolutely not true. I also categorically disagree with your comment about children staying at White Sands. Families with children have been visiting us for the past 40 years and love it. And the children come back with their children!

As for the pool, your comments are simply not accurate. The garden side pool is cleaned daily. In addition to the daily chemicals that are added, we run a ‘Tigershark’ machine through the pool that cleans not only the bottom of the pool but also the sides. The pool is absolutely clean. If you did not see anyone in the pool it is because there was no one swimming. It has nothing to do with the water quality.

I can read between the lines and take great offense at your comments about how you feel that White Sands is a ‘perfect’ place for men to stay who are ‘passing through Negril’ looking for ‘night activities.’ We do not condone that type of activity and it offends me that you would stoop to that level in your review.
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed at a quiet time - lovely - at the beginning of May, 2013 and noted that everything worked well.....hot water, air conditioning, fridge, comfy beds. We did have one night, when, next door, some loud people arrived and I then realized that the wall wasn't soundproof but fortunately, they left after one night and we were again in peace. The barman wasn't your usual jolly Jamaican but was OK. We didn't eat meals there - fortunately had a car to get to "town" for a patty and a box Orange, the typical lunch, or a meal. It is good that the Patty guy comes by on the beach but you should try an unusual treat nearby. On the beach, just to the left of the hotel, you will see a sign "Niah's Pattie Shack". Go through the gate in the metal fence and you will discover unique patties cooked over a charcoal burner...more like Mexican empanadas. They are huge and have curious fillings which vary day by day. I used to live in Jamaica for years and never saw patties like this! Give them a try.
We liked the pool table, ping pong and visits with the young parrot, by itself in the cage near the office - the 2 parents in the next cage were not hand-raised and are fierce but the young one will allow a person to scratch its belly. Wait for an owner to show you.
My one suggestion would be to post a list of evening musical events that are scheduled along the beach at various hotels., usually from about 7-9 pm. This would add some fun activity and a chance to experience some REAL Jamaican old time music or support up-and-coming musicians. They were playing to almost no one when we eventually located them.
All in all, White Sands provided a reasonable price for a super location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Glad you enjoyed your time with us. You cannot time arriving when it is quiet, but when you are lucky enough to hit it, you feel like you won the lotto. Good for you! I will to have a talk with the bartenders. We only have two, so I am not sure which one you are referring to. But nonetheless I will let them know they need to get Happier ! Strange because many guests write in saying they are a pretty happy bunch of guys. Maybe it was slow and he was not feeling the vibe. No excuse though. Thanks for the feedback.

Good suggestion for posting the evenings events, but not sure how practical it would be. We do tell people to check with the bartenders because often the events are announced by the guys walking the beach giving a shout out about the events. So that is why we simply tell people to check with the guys at the bar.

Glad you liked our price and location. We are a simple place that is affordable and luckily we are located in the best part of the Negril beach.

Thank you for your post.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Fantastic spot for clarity. I love the parrots, proximity to the beach, everyone on the staff is friendly, honest, funny, and made me feel at home. The rooms were safe , clean, private and I love the balconies.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank throwero
Straight forward, to the point and well said. Thank you for taking the time to write a reply. Great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. More importantly I love to hear that our staff/team treated you well.
We look forward to hosting you again and appreciate your feedback.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I would like to thank Christine and all the staff at the White Sands Negril for being so welcoming to me and my partner after a last minute booking. We stayed for 4 nights, June 29 - July 2nd, and it was truly a heavenly respite from what can only be called the trip from hell at our previous venue (Samsara Cliffs Resort).

The 1 bedroom apt/suite (3A) was aptly appointed and felt like home. The beds were very comfortable, plenty of seating and space to roam around in, full kitchen, extensive bathroom. I felt very comfortable and safe and the bar/water sports staff provided a lot of laughs and great advice on treating those pesky sand fly bites! The food was great and freshly prepared as were the drinks. Great beach area and location generally - close to everything - just a short cab ride away. If you are looking for the smaller, family run resort experience, this is your place.

I will definitely be back and thanks again for making the remainder of our trip end on a very high note!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MaHill27
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
It is kind of you to give us your thanks, but the thanks is to you for allowing us to host you.

The One Bedroom Apartments are very roomy, glad you liked them. And yes, when traveling to the Caribbean, or Florida, or anywhere else for that matter. Bring Off !! Not for the day, but when the sun goes down, the sand flies come out to play. They like some more than others. Maybe you are just too tasty! Glad the beach bar / grill atmosphere was to your liking. It is a very casual hang out spot.

We really look forward to seeing you again, we only hope that next time it is for more than 4 days. Christine will be waiting with open arms !!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I really Enjoyed my stay at White Sands Negril ,! all the Great reviews I read were on point , the Staff is Great here , and the Grounds Rooms and the Bar area I loved it . White Sands is in a Very Good location , I would certainly stay here again , and would recommend White Sands to my family and friends ...Everything went nice & smooth ...1 Love JA

Room Tip: rooms on the garden side are more private and quieter...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank tess1luvnegril
Great to hear you enjoyed your time with us, thank you for allowing us the opportunity. I have to agree with you, we are lucky to be located in a great part of the Negril beach.

Thank you for recommending us to your family and friends…they are all welcome.

See you soon on our sands !

Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have visited the White Sands Hotel on numerous occasions. Like most other visits, my room was comfortable, the staff friendly and my stay very relaxing. I have always felt safe during my stay, however, I was rather disappointed (or disturbed - still not sure which) when members of management were somewhat less than friendly. I was at least 7 days into my stay before anyone spoke to me. Even more disturbing was when I saw a member of management purposely ignore 1 of their staff; you would have thought the staff member was invisible. Granted I don't know what goes into running a hotel but between my business and personal life I have spent enough time in hotels to know that being in the "hospitality" business means more than a pleasant façade for the guests. We as guests notice how others are treated as well. Those others include not only the other guests and staff but also the taxi and bus drivers, legal authorities, vendors and walk up patrons as well. That being said, I will visit the beautiful island of Jamaica again and I hope to spend some of the time at the White Sands Hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

2 Thank Sullib
Thank you for your loyalty and for taking the time to write your review. Considering you have been here before, you will have been that we are a pretty friendly bunch of folks, so sorry you did not feel noticed when you were here. Not sure when you visited. We did have a few large events here, one especially was a family reunion. This may have added some stress to the mix for everyone. Nonetheless, we always want our clients to feel they are appreciate and I apologize this was not the case with you. Many on our staff have been here 5-10 years, some over 20, so I can say with confidence we treat them well, they like working here and we appreciate all their efforts.

Your words are taken to heart and greatly appreciated.

I do hope when you visit again we will be on our ‘A’ game !!