“Quiet, Friendly, Wonderful”

Ranked #21 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Lafayette, Indiana
“Quiet, Friendly, Wonderful”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

This was exactly the type of experience my partner and I wanted to have in Negril. We were looking for a quiet place to be on our own and off the grid, and this was it. Breakfast was wonderful, and the staff were able to keep the coffee flowing and the conversation enjoyable. Our conversations with the second- and third-generation owners of the hotel helped us appreciate even more the care and desire they put into providing a quality experience. The beach was wonderful--crabs to watch, warm water to enjoy, and easy to wander to find another dinner as desired. Evenings were pleasant, enjoying the sounds on the loungers, and watching sports. This was a great opportunity to hear from, and feel, a more local experience of Negril.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Barrett C
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
We are glad White Sands was exaclty the type of experience you were looking for in Negril. Glad the staff treated you well and were able to meet us. The beach truly is wonderful and we are glad you felt welcome. Please come back, we look forward to hosting you again. Cheers, White Sands

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Voorburg, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The hotel is located at two sites. One is across the busy coastal road and one part is at the beach side. We booked a beach side room through the internet and we got a room at the apartment block at the sea side, but our room was not close to the beach but next to the road. I could not sleep well due to traffic noise. When we complaint about this, we got another room the third night after some pushing without paying extra. The beach is superb. The restaurant is closed in the evening, but there is a little restaurant in Rastafarian colors serving good local food next door at the beach. We were advised not to walk on the beach after 9 p.m. for security reasons.

Room Tip: Book a room at the beach side apartments that are as close to the beach and as far from the road as...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Haelen
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Sorry for posting such a late reply, for some reason your trip report was overlooked, my apology.
You came all the way from the Netherlands. So nice to host you after such a long journey.

We look forward to welcoming you again the next time you are in Negril.

Kindest regards,
Paralia Katerinis, Greece
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I have visited Negril 4 times and White Sands is by far the friendliest place in Negril! No negative experience. The crew at the hotel are at your service and will help you out with anything! Have been there my past 2 visits and would go to the same place again

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Shamangeorge
Glad you we were able to accommodate your request and move you to a room that was more to your liking. The block of rooms you are referring to in your review that are the 'room tip' have our Duluxe Rooms on the second floor and the One Bedroom Apartments on the ground floor. Look forward to hosting you on your next trip.
White Sands
Lima, Ohio
Reviewed July 7, 2012

My sister and I began our Vacay with this wonderful little gem. We rented the kitchenette on the garden side. We chose the garden side and were pleased with that choice. Yes we had to walk across the road to get to the beach (1 min walk) but we also walked past all of the "beach side" rooms. Meaning No privacy when sitting on the patio/ balcony. All the basics are provided in the kitchenette except a blender, however there is a nice little bar on their beach. My sister and I traveled alone and felt very safe at this little hotel, however we did recieve unwanted attention at the bar after returning from a walk down the beach one evening even after we told them we were not interested. BUT that was a pretty minor irritation and they were not aggresive just annoying! The staff at White Sands was AMAZING, room was clean, twin beds comfy, pool clean and warm, and of course the BEACH OUTSTANDING!!! We would both go back to stay at White Sands.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank aNwElNad
We are so glad we are you 'Gem' in Negril and glad to hear the staff treated you and your sister so well. We are truly blessed to be located on one of the best sections of beach in Negril and we are glad you appreciate being here. Look forward to hosting you and your sister again soon. Cheers, White Sands
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 1, 2012

A great little hotel in the middle of 7 mile beach in Negril. You can walk for miles in either direction on powdery white sand. White Sands has a variety of accommodations including standard rooms with 2 twins or 1 full bed, some with small kitchenettes, deluxe with one twin and one full, one bedroom apartments that sleep 5 with a full kitchen, and a 4-bedroom, 4-bath villa that sleeps 10 with its own private pool. I have stayed in standard rooms and one of the apartments, and in the villa on my last trip. It's not luxurious but it is very clean and comfortable and very affordable. The staff is extremely friendly. There is a nice little beach bar with daily drink specials and a restaurant open for breakfast and lunch. The location is perfect if you're looking for peace and quiet, yet just a stroll down the beach if you want to hit a beach party at night. I have stayed at White Sands several times and plan to do so again on my next trip to Negril.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jeanne L
Thank you for kind words. You are right, we are located within easy walking distance of just about everything. Glad the staff treated you well, they are what keeps people coming back. We look forward to hosting you again.
White Sands
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed June 26, 2012

White Sands is an extremely affordable place to stay, they have a great staff, and the location is unbeatable.. If you enjoy your freedom this is the place to stay, located in the center of the beautiful 7mile beach, short walking distance from everything, stores, clubs, bars, and great local food you will not be disappointed! Ya Mon!

Room Tip: The Apartments are shabby but the Deluxe Beach side rooms are nice..
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Truevirgo101
Thank you for your kind words about White Sands and the staff. We are glad you love our location and price. Please come back, we would love to host you again. Cheers, White Sands
Asbury Park, New Jersey
Reviewed May 30, 2012

As a 25 yr old gal traveling alone to Jamaica, I couldn’t have picked a better hotel. White Sands was the perfect place for me to spend a long Memorial Day weekend by myself. I stayed at this hotel with a few friends in one of the super nice luxurious beachfront apartments about a year ago, so when searching for a place to stay this time around I was kinda surprised to find out that they also offered budget accommodations. Regardless, just like last time my stay at White Sands was extremely safe and comfortable.

The most amazing part: It only cost me $55/night!!!

I know, “you get what you pay for”- so I was concerned that perhaps the quality of my accommodations would be indicative of how much I’d paid to stay there, but I was traveling alone so I decided to give it a shot anyway. My concerns were unwarranted- WHITE SANDS WAS AMAZING!

Upon arrival, Henry took me to room G11 which was really spacious and well furnished. There was a comfortable bed, two end tables with a lamp on each side, a large dresser with a mirror, two chairs, a huge wardrobe, shelves and a mini fridge. The AC made my room significantly cooler within minutes of turning it on, every time. The bathroom, especially the shower, was really nice (much nicer than the bathroom in my apartment at home in NYC). Water pressure was amazing, no trouble with the temperature either. My room had a lovely private balcony with chairs and a table that was right in the midst of fruit trees and singing birds- so peaceful. Maid service was impeccable.

The staff there was so helpful and welcoming; White Sands really did start to feel like a second home and I certainly will be back again soon. As someone who has stayed in both their ocean side one bedroom apartment and their garden side standard room, I really don’t think you can go wrong at White Sands. Their range of accommodations is fantastic- they seem to have the perfect room to fit any budget. Of course, if having a flat screen tv, telephone and full kitchen are important to you then make sure you stay in one of the nice apartments on the beach side. If you are looking for cost effective safety and simplicity, then a standard garden side room is where you should be. PM me if you have questions about my stays at WS; I’d be happy to try answering them.

Thank you to Francis, Henry, and everyone else at White Sands- see you soon.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank jerseysl33
Thank you for such a wonderful review. And yes, for the money, I am not shy to say we offer an amazing value. Glad you feel the same. I am glad the staff treated you great and made you feel like White Sands was your home away from home. We look forward to hostig you again and I will definitely tell Francis and Henry you say a special hello.