“Romantic vacation for two!”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #14 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Moncton,New-Brunswick
“Romantic vacation for two!”
Reviewed April 14, 2010

My husband and I spent a fabulous 7 days at Couples Swept Away in April 2010. After a long flight, we arrived in Montego Bay and were greeted by the wonderful staff at the Couples lounge. This is were you check in your worries and start your stress free vacation. After enjoying our Red Stripe, we were off with our wonderful driver along the beautiful and scenic 1.5 hour drive. Some people have stated that the drive was very long, but we found that it gave us a chance to see the beautiful country side and a bit of culture.
When we arrived to the resort, we were offered a cold towel and a glass of champagne while we checked in, which took about fifteen minutes. We were later escorted to our Atrium suite. What a wonderful and romantic room. Big and comfortable bed, very clean room and a fabulous hammock on the patio. Our room was located besides a beautiful garden were they had many weddings during our stay. We really enjoyed the Atrium suite and intend to book it again during a future vacation. There are no televisions or mini bar in that room category, but we enjoyed not having a TV.
The food at the resort was delicious, the best we have had at an AI. There were a great selection of healthy food. We loved the fact that the buffet was not filled with fried foods. During our week, we ate great steaks, shrimps, scallops and crab (there were many options on the menu for people who do not enjoy seafood). We tried all restaurants and enjoyed them all. We also liked the fact that you could get fine spirits like Crown Royal, Jose Cuervo Tequilla, Appleton Estate Rum and Bailey's.
The beach is spectacular. Fine white powdery sand and crystal clear water. The resort supplies you with floating rafts which are fantastic. We spent a great deal of our holiday just floating in the water of Long Bay beach. The beach vendors are numerous, especially if you take a walk on the beach off the resort. They will always try to sell you stuff, but a simple no thank you does the trick. We found the beach to be so beautiful that we did not go to the pool once, so we cannot comment on the pool.
We did a few excursions with the resort. The snorkling was fun and beautiful. The catamaran cruise was a blast. We also went to Rick's cafe to see the divers. It is quite worth the cab fare to go see these men jump from the cliffs and the dead tree that is like 25 meters in the air.
I have to comment on the great staff. Every person we encountered were very pleasant from the front desk, to the waiters, the bartenders, the cooking staff, the entertainement staff, the watersports team, the cleaning staff and the drivers.
We have been going to AI for the past ten years (Mexico, Dominican and Cuba), this was our first vacation to Jamaica and to Couples and it will not be our last. Couples Swept Away is a very special place. There is an atmosphere at the resort that promotes romance and relaxation. We would definitely recommend this resort to our friends and family.

5 Thank Southbound_Canucks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,440)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed April 14, 2010

I booked a trip to CSA because I have been to Couples Negril 5 years ago which was an amazing experience and wante to try another couples resort. I will not be going back to CSA but will be going back to CN. Too many wedding, which made you feel like there were more groups of people not just couples. Called for room service was told it would be 30min. never came waited an hour. Next day put out room service tag they never picked it up so i did not get room service again. I would try a third time it came on time. The fourth time it did not come in the specified time as written on the card so I called thinking i was not getting it again. I hear a knock then it was there 5 min late. Many requests not done. Asked the conceige to put us in a table for our private dinner on the beach close to our room. He said he would take care of it. Never taken care of sat the furthest from our room. Very loud until late into the night due to all the partying from the wedding parties. I like to party, it is supposed to be a couples resort for romance and quietness to some degree. The dive staff is amazing. Many people I have asked that have stayed at this resort has said it has changed in the last few years since they expanded the resort. Not the "COUPLES" resort it used to be. If you want a great couples resort book at Couples Negril. They cater to your needs better. they know your name when you sit down to dinner. The requestes are honored and in a timely manner.
Melissa

5 Thank OBRN
Milwaukee
Reviewed April 14, 2010

Great food, great room, fun entertainment and the staff was awesome! Defenitely worth a visit and I would love to go back.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
Reviewed April 13, 2010

Here is a (rather long) review of our trip to Couple Swept Away from 4/3/10 to 4/9/10

ARRIVAL
Direct flight from Charlotte took off on time and landed about 15 minutes early. Several planes must have landed at the same time as immigration was packed. Although I don’t have a clue what might be “normal” it took us about 35-40 mins. to get through immigration. Customs was a breeze then onto the Couples Lounge and were standing in line for the bathroom when they called us for our shuttle. It was almost too quick as things got a little chaotic with 2 buses leaving at once. One bus was entirely for CSA. Ours was all Couples Negril except for my wife and I. Almost exactly 1.5 hours to the hotel. Other than the long line at immigration, everything went smoothly and as planned.

CHECK-IN
Bags were unpacked from the bus, a cold towel, a glass of champagne and to the check-in desk. We must have beaten the other bus because we were 1st in line and checked in quickly. I was happy to see that I got one of the three room numbers I had requested. On to the concierge to reserve dinner and the cat cruise. You could only reserve 4 days in advance so I reserved Feathers for Tuesday night and simply waited one day to reserve Lemongrass for Wednesday. Overall, we landed at about 1:30 and were standing in our room at 4:00. Considering immigration, customs, baggage claim, a bus ride, check-in and concierge desk, I thought that was pretty darn good. I was very pleased.

ORIENTATION
Got our bags unpacked and went right back to the lobby for orientation. I would HIGHLY suggest this for first timers. Although I felt like a seasoned vet based on all the message boards and trip reviews I had read, it was very helpful knowing exactly where everything was located and it only took about an hour. Neisha was our orientation person and she was wonderful. We saw her almost every day afterwards and she even ate breakfast with us one morning. She had a great personality and was one of the people I mentioned on the comment card at the end of the trip (see more on that below).

THE ROOM
We had a Great House Verandah Suite (GHVS) room 5205. When we booked, that’s just what the travel agent gave us based on the budget I gave him and I didn’t know the difference in all the room classes at the time. There was some “chatter” about some people not liking these rooms because they were “hotel-like”. That didn’t bother me a bit. Never really even crossed my mind. Our view and balcony were fantastic (pic hopefully attached), the location was convenient to Feathers, Patois, Cabana Grill, the Aura Lounge (Ultimate Chocolate) and the internet café. While I might try a different room class on the next trip (and there will definitely be a next trip), I would also happily stay in the GHVS again. There was also some chatter about people hearing doors slamming a lot. The only time I heard doors slamming was the one day where I took a nap and people were checking into the room right next door. Other than that, no problems at all. I mentioned that I got one of the 3 room numbers that we requested. I requested the room numbers at the same time I was booking the private beach dinner (more on that below). Not sure if that had anything to do with it or not (spending the extra money that is) but I was really pleased to have gotten my request as the message boards seemed to indicate that was the exception and not the rule. The room was basic but the bed was comfortable, the AC worked great and the bathroom was clean (and I am very picky about the bathroom having zero mold at hotels). We weren’t in the room all that much, so having a great view was the most important factor for me. It wasn’t the Ritz-Carlton, but I’ve got no real complaints (although the lighting in the bathroom could have been better).

THE BEACH
Not really much to say that hasn’t already been said. It’s one of the top beaches in the world according to the Travel Channel. Soft white sand, no shells or seaweed to speak of, crystal clear blue water. You can walk out in the water chest deep and look down and see your toes. The resort was booked when we were there but no one ever had a difficult time getting a chair. Shade was hard to come by if you arrived later than about 9:30 but there was always multiple chairs to be had. I’ve got one bone to pick and not with the resort. My wife is an early riser and she was up and on the beach reading, watching the sunrise or running between 5:30 and 6:00. Other than 1 day, all of the thatched roofed huts were all taken which tells me that people were either reserving them late at night or setting the alarm for 3:00 or so, going out and reserving them and then going back to bed. In my own opinion, that’s just low class. Others might disagree but I’m not changing my mind. I’m sure there is nothing that can be done about this (and I’m not suggesting they do). Of course it’s like that at our local pool as well. I didn’t let it bother me. We liked to sit near the weddings. We saw 10 or 12 in the week we were there. The green flag service sounded great but was over-rated. The farthest bar was about 40-50 feet away so we just got up and walked over when we wanted a drink. I enjoyed talking to the bartenders anyway.

DINING
Breakfast – We alternated between Patois (ala carte) and The Palms (buffet). Both were great. The French Toast on the buffet at Palms was fabulous. Oh, you won’t find any bananas left on the island. My wife ate them all. She had probably 2 banana smoothies made with real banana’s each day. In the US, buffets usually have a slightly negative connotation but I thought Palms was top notch. Food was always hot, bacon was crispy and the choices from healthy to non-so-healthy were plentiful.
Lunch – We hit Cabana Grill and Sea Grapes for lunch. As a “meat and potatoes” guy, I thought I would be turned off by Sea Grapes but the fish tacos, snapper sandwich and sweet potato chips were all fantastic. At Cabana Grill, between my wife and I, we had cheeseburgers, pulled pork sandwich, the jerk chicken and a snapper sandwich. Everything there was good. Never had a bad meal. The jerk chicken was great but a little too hot for my taste. I can see, however, why people rave about it.
Dinner – hit all 4 dinner spots as well as the int’l buffet outside the Palms while we were there. Feathers was fantastic. Make sure you make your reservation for that one. I’m not a Thai fan and probably picked the wrong menu item, but my wife enjoyed her meal at Lemongrass very much. Avoid what they refer to as “ribs” on the menu. They were quite fatty and really not good. However, others we talked to loved it. I think I just ordered the wrong thing and won’t hold that against them. Patois and Palms were good but not great. There was always an item on the menu I found that I enjoyed. One thing I loved about Palms was that you could do the buffet, ala carte or a combination. I ordered the seafood kabob off the menu, went and got a salad from the buffet while it was being cooked, grabbed a couple of other items from the buffet to eat with my kabobs and then ordered a great chocolate mud pie dessert off the menu.

The only suggestion or very small complaint that I have it that there is not really any good real quick snack options. No where you can grab a bag of chips or a Snickers bar just to stamp out that temporary hunger.

Bottom line on dining at CSA is that if you go hungry, something is wrong. The choices are plentiful from fancy to casual and there is truly something for everyone.

WATER SPORTS/EXCURSIONS
We tried to take full advantage of the water sports. Went snorkeling twice. Based on the advice from a message board post, I remembered to take out a banana once. Worked like a charm. While they would not eat out of my hand, the fish swarmed when I dropped a small piece of banana. The second trip, I think they dropped us off in the middle of a jellyfish convention as 4 people got stung including my wife. One attached itself to the chest of a young girl we had met the night before at Feathers (who ironically lived just an hour away from us) and she had to see the nurse upon return. We did the cat cruise, which is a must. I went off the slide quite a few times and swam in the caves. Rasta Ralphie and gang made it a great trip. I/we also did the Hobie cats, the kayaks, the paddle boats and I knee boarded behind the ski boat a couple of times. I think taking advantage of the many water sports that are offered can make CSA a great value. I think the cost of everything we did would have been quite a bit at a non-AI resort.

I did rent the jet skis once. It was $40 for 30 minutes. My only regret is that I waited until the afternoon when the water got choppy. I should have done it first thing as the water is like a sheet of ice early in the morning. If you are doing any of the above watersports, I suggest doing these in the morning (except the Hobies where you need some wind).

PRIVATE DINNER ON THE BEACH
Since it was our anniversary, I decided to do this. Opinions on the boards varied from “why pay the extra” to “it was worth every penny”. I fall into the “it was worth every penny…..ONCE” crowd. I was extremely satisfied and happy that I did it but now that the experience is over, I would not do it a second time. The weather and setting were fantastic and it was far and away the most romantic meal that we’ve ever had. We got unlimited champagne throughout the entire meal as well as a bottle of wine and champagne to take back with us. Our meal (you get the choice of 2 different menus) consisted of a great fish cake appetizer, a salad, chicken cordon blue and lobster tail (the very last of the season according to our waitress) as well a dessert. A photographer came by and took pictures and we bought three the next day at the photo shop. I was surprised that he didn’t even hesitate to take some shots with our camera for us, which could have rendered his services useless. Just another example at the level of service you get at CSA.

BARS & DRINKS (and a note about the mini-bars)
All it took was one trip to the Martini Bar and we were hooked. We ended up there for a while every night. For those like myself who may not know, you don’t have to get only martini’s. They serve everything including Red Stripe and other mixed drinks. But it was the workers that kept us coming back (see staff shout outs section below). The bartenders, Fraser and Winston, were fantastic. Funny, personable, great at their jobs….everything you’d want in a bartender. I talked with Fraser about a variety of subjects. In fact, I found out it was his birthday so I snuck downstairs, got a piece of cake from The Palms buffet as well as a candle, lit it and walked back upstairs. The whole bar sang “Happy Birthday”. You could tell he appreciated the gesture. We also met Tashell and Rashell (nicknamed “The Shells” by Winston, who they jokingly called the devil) who were great as well and worked at Lemongrass and the bar area. The interaction between those 4 was fun to watch. One night I got a Blackberry martini because I love blackberries. When I was done, Fraser asked me how it was. I told it was too strong and too sweet. He then made me another one and said “Here try this one” and it was perfect. That’s what sets a good bartender apart from a great one. A good bartender says “well maybe you’d like this instead” while a great one simply fixes the drink to your liking. It was so good that on the last night we had one of the gigantic martinis (pic hopefully attached)

Since he was just down the steps from our room, and conveniently located from the evening walks back from the Martini bar, we saw Ultimate Chocolate in the piano bar 3 separate times. He was great. Played a game of men vs women where he would play the first few notes of a song and the first team to name it got points. On the last night we won a consolation bottle of Appleton Rum to bring home. A nice momento. The man is definitely talented. I can still hear him saying “This is going to be Hot, Hot Hot” and “the big boys had the power but the ladies had the speed”.

Finally, there was a TON of chatter on the message boards about Red Stripe in the mini bars. Well I got it figured out. All you have to do is ask…..or at least in my case. The guy who re-stocked the mini bars happened to be around during that time everyday where we were done with the beach and came into to clean up for dinner and get ready for the evening. I saw him several times and one day he said “can I get anything for your mini-bar” and I replied “yeah I’d love some Red Stripe Light”. The next day, I was graced with 5 bottles of Red Stripe Light. Once again, that little bit of extra service that makes the difference.

MISCELLANEOUS
We did the Managers Cocktail Party on Monday, which was well worth the 45 minutes or so we spent there. The appetizers they had were really good and they had a fountain of flowing white chocolate where you could dip in a watermelon or cantelope fruit ball.

It rained for a total of 3 hours the entire trip. Not a drop from Saturday to Wednesday but a really hard rain on Thursday from 4:00 to 6:00 and then a lighter rain for another hour. We had planned to go to Rick’s Café that afternoon but we had to cancel. It all turned out for the best. We used that time to pack up for the next mornings departure, print our boarding passes, pay the baggage check fee on-line and do a few last minute administrative things. We did have two nice, full-size umbrellas in the room for us to use, which was nice when we walked to dinner at the Palms that evening.

Walked down to Margaritaville. As a huge Jimmy Buffett fan, I had to pick up a T-shirt. Shopped a little on the way. Was approached many times by locals selling stuff but a polite “No Thanks” was really all it took. No one was pushy.

$300 in cash was about perfect for us between the few tips that you need, jet ski rental, food at the airport and some shopping. They did like the 2 dollar bills as someone had mentioned. We tried our best to buy a few items, even some items we may not have really needed knowing that 20 bucks here and there may not be a lot to us, but might be very meaningful to them. Couples lets some local vendors sell their wares on sight several days a week. There was a guy selling leather handmade flip flops that some guests raved about so my wife bought a pair.

The beer tap on the beach with the ice cream machine could have been the highlight of the trip (pic hopefully attached). The person who thought of this is a genius. HA!!!!

We did the Martini mixology class. Didn’t really learn much about making martinis but met some really nice people who we talked to several more times on the trip which leads me to…

The people you meet at Couples. While we aren’t the type to meet someone on vacation that we will stay in touch with afterwards, we did meet some great people during the trip. There were many couples that we talked at length with and met some people who live close to us. Its easy to strike up a conversation and, since the resort is not huge, you see many of the same people sometimes 5 or 6 different times during the trip. Some were younger and many were older (we’re in the low-40s), but everyone was pleasant and we stuck up some great conversations with people in the restaurants and especially at the martini bar. You can really pick up some good tips from people who pass on “you should try this” or “you should avoid that”.

STAFF SHOUT OUTS
I’ve already mentioned Fraser, Winston and Neisha. Orrin, our waiter at Patois on Night 1 was fantastic, funny and personable. We asked him if he would take a picture and he happily obliged….with one of himself. Armond in housekeeping, yes housekeeping, was one of the most friendly workers. He reminded of the first verse from Jimmy Buffett’s “It’s my Job”. Kimberly, the waitress for our private beach dinner was fabulous. Nevina at one of the outside bars on the beach was fantastic as was Terrello, who I nicknamed TO (obviously after Terrell Owens). Reveren (sp??) who I nicknamed The Reverend, from the watersports hut was great as well. Dayne, who nicknamed himself Dayne the Lamb, was our waiter at Palms and he was a joy. Other than one particular bartender at one of the beach bars who was really just terrible, every single person was just great and we went out of our way to get to know and carry on conversations with as many workers as possible. And they very clearly go out of their way to remember your name and ask if you are enjoying yourself. You really can’t ask for much more.

One last note about the employees. While waiting my turn for the ski boat (the line was about 4 deep) as well as soon after at lunch, I got to meet the girlfriend of the General Manager. We probably talked for about an hour in total. She made a point to tell me that the employees compensation, promotion, etc is directly tied to those comment cards. We made sure, each evening, to jot down the names of all of the employees that had gone above and beyond. We also made 100% sure to detail each of these on the comment card we turned in at checkout. I would hope that those reading this and those that find this review helpful would do the same.

Overall it was a fantastic trip and, although I don’t know exactly when, I am quite sure we will be back to CSA and at some point, maybe in my retirement days, I’d love for it to be a regular annual stop for my wife and I.

10 Thank phillies44
chitownshandi, Director of Sales and Marketing at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, April 19, 2010
Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Swept Away. Your words were so descriptive and thorough on so many aspects of the property and your experiences, I am sure many TA readers will find this very helpful. I was sure to also share the shout outs with resort management - they will be thrilled they made such an impact on your vacation. Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
Director of Sales and Marketing, Couples Resorts
Indiana
Reviewed April 12, 2010

CSA was top notch. Your room was literally steps to the beach. Best beach I have ever been to. White powdery sand and clear blue water. Tons of included extras (free scuba/snorkel/catamaran/tennis/squash etc). The fitness center was great. I took yoga, zumba, pilates, tennis lessons, boot camp classes, and more. (all included)
The group exercise room was air conditioned which was very beneficial for a tropical location. The other exercise area was not which made it for a steamy workout. My husband chose to swim laps or use the walking trail while I was in the group classes.

Food and drinks were 4-5 star. Try the banana stuffed french toast and the lobster when in season. Each resturant has its own charm and I never went away hungry or disappointed.
Staff were friendly and efficient.
The only thing I would change would be the location of my room. We were in a corner beachfront suite (BVFS) --literally 5 steps to a lounge chair/hammock/beach bar--but was loud in the mornings with room service and staff setting up for the day. (not quite as private as I would have liked). Next time we will stay on 2nd/3rd floor one row back. But I wanted the experience of being on the 1st floor steps from the beach,

I got married at CSA on the beach and all the wedding staff were amazing. Then we moved onto the luscious garden area for dancing/cake/champagne. I had comments that my destination wedding pictures were the best anyone had seen. Overall it was stress free and memorable.
CSA is truly a tropical paradise. Glitz, glamour (via marble or fancy chandeliers) is not needed in such a place that is naturally so beautiful.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
8 Thank summerlover123
Brevard, North Carolina
Reviewed April 12, 2010

Couples Swept Away was recommended to me by our travel agent and this is the reason that I continue to check with her to make my vacation plans. I was happy with almost all aspects of the, our room, an Ocean front veranda suite, was all I had expected. We were right on the beach with a great view of the ocean. The room was clean and well stocked with my favorite adult beverages.

The staff was above average, bending over backwards to make my wife and I comfortable and happy. This includes the staff in the restaurants, which, after the first day, knew my wife and I by name, and made sure to seat us where our commune with the ocean was not interrupted. The food was above average, along with the presentation. The beverages were all top shelf and there was no skimping.

The beach was aways clean by the time that I got moving in the morning. My wife, told me later that the staff was out before dawn making sure everything was up to par( I'll take her word for that).

My only issue was the rather loud music late in the evening. The entertainment would usually last well after I wanted to turn in, but being as close as we were it was hard to sleep with a band playing in your room.

I primarily went for the Diving and although the dive shop was well equipped, and Franz, Anthony and everyone else was extremely knowledgeable. I was disappointed by the shortage of sea life during our dives.

The shopping was to a degree, enjoyable. I was able to get my allotment of Blue Mountain coffee and a good price without too much haggling.

The next time that we visit CSA we will forgoe the LOOONG bus ride and consider paying TIMAIR to get us there faster. The busses are a bit cramped and if you watch the driver this could be considered an e tiket ride.

Would I go back? You betcha, but the next time I will be just as happy in one of the lower priced rooms.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dkwebm
Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Swept Away. We are excited to know you enjoyed your stay and would come back again. Your review really laid out the aspects of a vacation that are important to you and reads like we hit the mark in many of those departments. Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
Director of Sales and Marketing, Couples Resorts
Camden, South Carolina
Reviewed April 11, 2010

My wife and I stayed at CSA from 3-28-10 thru 4-4-10 once again a peak week. Expecting my typical vacation of lots of music and stimulus the first thing we noticed was the serenity. The hotel was booked but I kept asking my wife "where are they hiding everybody?" Unlike other resorts where you have to "reserve" your lounge chair by the pool or beach by no later than 8:30, at CSA Beach and Main Pool lounge chairs where available all day long. At times my wife and I were the only ones in the pool. Our room did not have a TV........PROBLEM ???? NO ! we did not miss it at all, in fact it added to the peace and rest. But for those of you who want some action, there is the swim up bar pool on the other side of the resort where you can drink, talk, laugh all day long if you prefer. There is music and entertainment at night . The food I would rate a little above average for all inclusive resorts.The resort is not fancy, no super large pools but the rooms are comfortable and clean and the staff is friendly and helpful. The beach is one of the best We've been on, silky smoooth sand, no rocks, shells or seaweed. Warm calm water where you can walk out 100 yards and be in chest high water.CAUTION ! , watch out for Winston in the Martini Bar, if you take your eyes off him, your glass will never be empty and that makes for a tough time finding your room in the dark as we discovered our first night there. Every couple we spoke with (about 20 ) have been here numerous times ranging from 5 times to 18 times, this in itself speaks volumes for CSA. In conclusion, I still like my exciting stimulus packed vacations, but if you need a total relaxing vacation, this is the place to go . We do plan on returning when our batteries need a total recharge.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank artist67
chitownshandi, Director of Sales and Marketing at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, April 12, 2010
Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Swept Away. We are thrilled your vacation was packed with idle moments and tender breezes on a wide and open sugar sand beach. MMMmmmm - sounds like just what the doctor ordered. Thanks again, we look forward to recharging your batteries soon.
Andi Conway
Director of Sales and Marketing, Couples Resorts.