“Wonderful Honeymoon in a perfect location”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #14 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Portsmouth, UK
“Wonderful Honeymoon in a perfect location”
Reviewed April 8, 2010

We stayed at CSA for our honeymoon 23rd March to 6th April. This was our fourth time to Jamaica but first stay at a Couples resort and I can say hands on heart this is a wonderful resort in a perfect location / setting. We are 34 & 35 and would class ourselves as middle of the road travellers.

Airport
On arrival there was a bit of a queue at visa desks but nothing too bad. Once we got our luggage we went to checked in at the Couples Lounge at the airport but had booked a private transfers with Alfred's Taxi Service. At the lounge we were greeted with a friendly smile and were offered to take refreshments for the journey but we were ok so just set off.

Check-in
Arrived at the hotel within about 1hr 15 mins (we did not stop on route as we had had a flight delay). We were greeted with a glass of cold Champaign and cool towel to get refreshed and Rick checked us in explaining where we can get dinner and we were off to the room. Was impressed with the check-in time, was very speedy.

Room
We had booked a Garden verandah Suite and was given room 4302 which was a third floor room at the back of the resort - yes you can hear road noise, did we complain - no - we got what we booked and paid for, apart from slight noise the room was all we needed. The room was lovely, the bed was huge, bathroom was probably one of the best we have seen in the Caribbean, clean, lots of towels and all the toiletries ready for you. As we arrived at night we could not see the view but could hear the ocean from the balcony the next morning we looked out and had a partial ocean view and a view over the pond and beautiful gardens.

Restaurants
We mainly ate at Palms, breakfast was great you can have fresh fruit, full cooked breakfast or continental breakfast. Lunch was a buffet lunch with different options each day and evening I would class more a la carte than buffet as you order 3 courses off menu and the only buffet style course is the salad and pasta courses. We are really fussy eaters and did not struggle with food once at Palms.
Patios we tried for breakfast once and this was a la carte breakfast (order off menu) we did not eat here at lunch but again I believe you order off menu and the evening was order off menu again. We ate here twice in the evenings, the ribs and steak was fantastic.
Cabana Grill - this was great for snacks, we only ate here a couple of times, the Jerk chicken was lovely, burgers were huge and we also tried the chicken wings, spring rolls which were nice if you wanted something late at night.
As mentioned we are fussy eaters (well allergies) and after looking at the menu's I realised I would have struggled at both Lemon Grass and Feathers so cannot comment on these - friends went and said both were fantastic.

Bars
Hands down my favourite was the Martini bar - we went there every night and had lots of different drinks - ask for a Fraser blended special or Winston's special martini you will not be disappointed.
We always stayed around the Bamboo bar at the beach the green flag service was a fantastic touch (but did not always use it as I would go to the bar as Cardo always kept us up to date on the latest football scores!!)
Arua lounge was fantastic - lots of comfy seats and plenty of dancing to be had. We did not go to the piano lounge as we stayed at the Martini bar until it closed then when to the disco. Some reports have said that it is fairly quiet - the only night it seemed quiet was karoke night other than that it was busy each night.

Beach
This is definitely a beach resort and the beach is simply breathtaking, powdery white sand, crystal clear sea and never crowded. We went to the beach most morning around 10 - 10:30 and not once had any trouble getting beds. You had to be up early to get a cabana but I was not playing that game. Only problem I have is when people get up early to reserve a cabana then go back to bed and re-appear early afternoon - nothing that the hotel can do about this - I just think that the people who do this are rude as they are taking up shade area's but not using them. Mother Nature was very kind to us when we were there, in 2 weeks we had 2 showers, on at 8pm and the other was at 11pm both lasting around 20 minutes, other than that the sun was out to play

Activities
I said before we went that I wanted to utilise all these wonderful activities - golf, sailing, water sports, catamaran cruise, shopping tours etc. However that all changed once I found the beach - the only thing we did was the catamaran cruise which was a great afternoon out.

Spa
We had complimentary massages which were fantastic - very good indeed. Would recommend booking one of these. Oniell did my massage and Rochelle did my husbands and we were both very pleased. The spa is fantastic and we spent a little while in the soothing Jacuzzi - however I did find they were too hot and took a while to get in and you could not spend a long time in there.

Sports Centre
We did not use this at all but did take a wonder around there and it looked very professional and well equipted.

Entertainment
Each night they had a different band or singer on at Palms. They also had different activities on each night as well - beach party, bonfire on the beach, piano lounge, talent night etc. The guest relations team are great and work very hard indeed. You will see them around the resort early in the morning and dancing the night away in the disco with you.

Those extra special touches
Turn down service, fully stocked fridge, bathrobes, green flag service, chair cushions / floats, free wifi, Champaign and top shelf drinks, sports complex, beach / water activities, tours this is what makes the resort that little more refined ;-)

Staff
I found the staff to be friendly and always happy and smiling, whenever you walked around the grounds and met a staff member they always said hello, how are you. I think that the staff regardless of position be it front of house, cleaners, gardeners, chefs they all seem happy in there work.

Things I could change
Only one - tipping policy! I think this should be optional, I have always rewarded good service and feel that we should be permitted to tip if we wanted to. I know not everyone is going to agree with me here but this is just my opinion. Once you still down for dinner or are at a bar you are asked what you would like to drink then just before you have finished you have another being made without asking, the bar staff got used to me and either checked that I wanted the same or a new surprise. With my allergies I just told them once what I could not have and they remembered. This is above and beyond what you normally get but unfortunately I was not allowed to tip.

This resort is the best we have been to and I would go back in a heart beat

10 Thank LittleMissNaughty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,447)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Arlington, VA

Couples Swept Away 3/28-4/1

Our arrival and check in at the Couples Lounge was easy and took no more than 20 minutes for our bus to leave to Negril. We stopped at Couples Negril to let off all passengers except ourselves and one other couple, then off to Swept Away.
Check in was just as easy, the champagne and cold towel was nice since it was HOT! This was our first trip to Couples so we were not sure what to expect.

We got a second floor which was Ok, would have preferred a third as the view was somewhat hidden by the trees, but I knew that booking the ocean verandah this could happen so no complaints.
Our room was clean and the balcony very large. The fridge was stocked with water, soda, juice, ting, etc. We did fill out the list for the liquor which was delivered the next day. I would suggest bringing bug spray as it seems the little tiny ants from the flowers that are in the room can be a bother. They were on the desk area where the flower vase was but a little off will take care of that, or just discarding the flowers would work just as well I suppose.

We got to eat at most restaurants except Feathers, and we didn’t make it for breakfast at Patios Patio which was on the list but just couldn’t fit it in with the short amount of time we were there. Everyone was right about the sweet potato chips…the black bean hummus is to die for, and I don’t even care for hummus. Lemongrass was just FABULOUS! It was a unique dining experience and everything was so good I couldn’t believe it, they had the best snapper I have ever tasted. The Palms was very good as well, Couples really knows how to cook up some fish!

The entertainment was good¸ one night it was exceptional. They had a steel pan band with dancers, I can’t recall the name of them right now…Silver something, but that was a show not to be missed, I believe it was a Wednesday night.
Staff was good, some better than others. The Martini bar was a hoot; those 2 bartenders know how to entertain. We didn’t use the pool or Jacuzzi’s but they looked clean.

Overall it was a good trip; I think the biggest standout was the food and dining experience. It was way above average, there are not many restaurants I’ve been to that had better food than Couples did. We would return in a second.

4 Thank LoveJA77
chitownshandi, Director of Sales and Marketing at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, April 9, 2010
Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Swept Away. We are thrilled you enjoyed your vacation. We hope you can come back for a longer stay to take advantage of some of the inclusions you might have missed - catamaran sunset cruise, room service continental breakfast and more. Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
Alabama
Reviewed April 7, 2010

The beach is awesome! The ocean water clear!!! I could literally see my feet in water up to my chest. We stayed in a newer room
a beachfront veranda suite. The bed was comfortable the view from our veranda was amazing, with stocked mini fridge daily. My only complaint was the bathroom there isn't any air-condition in the bathroom, there was only one sink and the tiles were dirty. We read many reviews bragging about the food quality to find the food just okay. Don't worry you wont starve they have a lot to choose from! It just wasn't as good as we thought it would be except breakfast which was always amazing =) The grounds at the resort are beautiful!!! The staff over-all were extremely friendly! The resort offers numerous activities throughout the day so you should not get bored. I do have some advice if you want a chair on the beach you better get up very early!!!!! People would put their stuff on chairs and not show up to use them for 6 hours or more so if you want somewhere to lay out on the beach rise and shine early. The spa is amazing!!! Just wish it wouldn't have been across the street. The street is busy and hard to cross if the guard isn't there to help. All in all we would definitely go back to CSA

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank always4bama
chitownshandi, Director of Sales and Marketing at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, April 13, 2010
Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Swept Away. Since your stay in 2008, there have been many improvements, one specific one was a direct result of client feedback from Tripadvisor and other methods. More Lounge Chairs on the Beach! We increased those this winter and from my readings, there have been hardly any comments in this area. Yeah. Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
Consett
Reviewed April 7, 2010

This hotel is without doubt one of the best we have stayed in. Everything was of a very high standard it was indeed a pleasure to have stayed there. There was only one minor downer to mention which is the dreaded road noise ( i took some earplugs which helped ) I could go on too list all of the excellent points but i wont just read some other reviews . This is truly a relaxing , romantic and charming place made so by the very efficient staff. I would like too take this opportunity to thank them all and to Edwardo and Oral (thats what his name badge said) at the pool bar ,a special yeah mon.

2 Thank DaxieConsett
Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Swept Away. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and love that you mentioned staff names that impacted your experience. Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
Calgary
Reviewed April 2, 2010

Travelled to CSA for the week of March 22-2010. This was our first trip to Jamaica and we loved it.
The only negative to CSA was our room, we were in bldg 3 room 1105 and it is a ground floor room on the end of the bldg. This room was very noisy especially first thing in the morning with guests and emloyees with carts going by. There is also a lot of road noise as well. We did asked to be moved but the only rooms available were also close to the road or the restaurants and would be just as noisy. The only option was to upgrade to a beach front for $77 a night which we were not prepared to do, so we just sucked it up and made the best of it. We also encountered numerous other guest who had moved or upgraded for the same reason. However if you were prepared to complain loudly and often seems you will be accomodated. Again we were not prepared to do that.
Our advice is to know what you are getting and request a particlar room or ask for a quiet room before you go. Better yet upgrade before you go and the hotel will have no choice but to accomodate you. It was also strange not to have a tv or fridge in the room. This was the first time ever we have had neither, I do like to watch a little TV while my wife is getting ready. Again know what you are getting before you go, it was partially our fault for no doing much research before we left.
Having said that, if not for the room the holiday would have been perfection, we are seasoned travellers and have never been treated so well. I took some snacks with me to tide me over and never even ate them as the food was awesome and plentifull.
The beach and ocean is some of the best we have encountered, service was amazing and can`t really pick out any employees who went out of their way to treat us special because they all did, with a smile as well.
The facilities were great and we made use of all of them with the exeption of Lemon Grass which we didn`t get around too.
We loved just lazing around and also participated in the snorkelling, glass bottom boat and the Cat tour, all for free. Entertainment was great and we especially loved Ultimate Chocolate at the piano bar, even had us singing which is a minor miracle.
It is the small details that probably get missed by most that makes this hotel special and we would love to go back, but in a different room.

5 Thank BarryCalgary
chitownshandi, Director of Sales and Marketing at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, April 5, 2010
Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Swept Away. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay. You bring up some very good points about the room. Prior to being "Couples Swept Away" the resort was "Swept Away" - the attraction was that the resort was half the current size and all rooms were without televisions. It was really meant to be an "escape" from reality - including the news, weather and sports :) We realized with time and under the Couples brand that TV's were creature comforts, not something that everyone wanted escape from. So we put TVs in most rooms. We did keep 3 room categories without televisions and try to keep that information in front of clients and travel agents at all times. We did this so those folks that wanted the "swept away" experience the original way, could still have it. Thanks for understanding and writing about it. We look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
germantown
Reviewed April 1, 2010

we were checked in to the wrong and it took them [csa] 2 days to correct this and did we get any credits for spa or such no...this was totally wrong...and to this day it has not been corrected..they didn't allow my post on their message board because it was to much against them..i know the names of the people who were to correct the issue's but instead we waited 2 days to get put into the same room but on 1st floor and this room was well under the $5,000+ we paid for this trip. it was so over recommended to us that i had my nephew do his wedding there this may, what a mistake i hope all is corrected this time for us....we shall see...is it gonna be worth it again i m not sure i just cant believe we didn't get into our room until almost 430 pm and we were there at 115 pm what a disaster from the start.it was my 50th birthday we had reservations and such for it if it wasn't for my other half it wouldn't of been all that diff then in the states she purchased a basket of goodies[which also wasn't correct they ran out of the stuff she wanted in that also]...or is it just me..but wait our 19 anniversary was the shining night down there for us with a cake from and meeting the head csa pastry chef..was our best night sorry that was on 4 night there too..well if it wasn't for that and the veggie place it wasn't that spectacular for the price you pay is a 3-4 star resort to me sorry and that's all i can say...but traveler's beware of any place with nothing but positive there always is a flip-side to that coin and ...be careful for what you wish for because that don't always come true either...i hope your stay is better than ours this will be our last time to CSA we checking out couples Negril next..and if all is the same we going back to to the competition..Sandal's all was good there....good luck and enjoy..we hope...................................and as you can see by my last photo that was our 1st room ---ocean view plus 1st floor---wrong tree view 2nd floor and that is alright by them ok........got to go this is starting to upset me again about the greed of couples and how all they want is your cash and not to correct when they are wrong...........and good luck on your venture there....make sure all is good before you go to any of the couple's 4 resorts check first

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 2bchbums
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed April 1, 2010

This was our first time to Swept Away. We have been to Couples Negril and Couples Ocho Rios. There are many differences but they all share one thing in common. They are all romantic. If you love the person you are with, you will love them even more by the time you leave.

Swept Away is about twice the size of the other Couples resorts so it was more difficult to get to know other couples. But we came for the sports facilities which were first class. Otherwise, I would recommend Couples Negril. It is just as nice, less expensive and more intimate.

In general: Swept Away and all Couples Resorts are very expensive. This can be good or bad depending on your point of view. It is good if you don’t want to deal with kids (ugh!) or the college crowd trying to ‘hook up’. Bad if you are from the US and struggling with the downturn in the US dollar. Our room was $490 (high season) per day. Ouch. So we made sure we consumed $100 per day in call-liquor frosty’s/beer and gourmet wine. Ergo: the vacation turned out to be economical.

Sport: This resort’s sports complex if first class. Nicer than any racquet club in the US. We play squash every day at the two indoor air conditioned courts. We had professional lessons almost every morning (loved playing with Donovan!). Tip: make sure you call to confirm your lesson. A few times our lessons mysteriously disappear from their computer.

Food: The food is delicious and the variety is endless. The two gourmet restaurants (Asian and Feathers) were good but not much better than the general dining in terms of food. The exception was Feather’s Mango Crème-brulee. To die for! Order two and bring one back to the room. Lobster is served on Saturdays in all restaurants. This is Rock Lobster, not Main lobster so get to the restaurant as early as possible. If you go late, it will be overcooked and tasteless.

Entertainment: The entertainment was absolutely phenomenal. We heard classical guitarists that knocked our socks off almost every evening at dinner. They routinely had a guitar/cello duo playing at breakfast that were so good I would pay $$$ to hear them perform back home. We did not go but everyone said the piano bar was amazing too.

Rooms: The rooms are nice and spacious. We had a Great House Veranda that faced backwards (5104). I was disappointed at first, but the 32” flat panel TV (with tons of movies and foreign language stations), and in-room high speed wi-fi (bring your own laptop) made up for the lack of view. Breakfast was on-time. Tip: if you book this room, bring earplugs. The noise from the hall can be disturbing in the early morning.

Note to Couples Staff: A cheap hall runner (rug) would make a HUGE difference in these hallways! Also, add a sign on the entry doors urging guests to lower their voices in the early morning or late evening. Doors should be propped open in the early morning to allow breakfast carts in and out quietly.

5 Thank Miss_Bret
Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Swept Away. We are thrilled you enjoyed your vacation. I like your math skills, a.k.a. are we getting our money's worth? So, you can add the cost of the room (with ocean view), all meals (for 2 people), all the frosty yummy cocktails, the activities and entertainment, sports and fitness facility and classes. And of course watersports, off site excursions, wifi, etc, etc, etc. Wow - I bet you got your money's worth :) Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
Director of Sales and Marketing, Couples Resorts
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Sandy Haven Resort
Hedonism II
#17 of 81 in Negril
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!