“Okay, but some problems” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Negril
bklyn
“Okay, but some problems”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2005

We traveled to CSA on 6/26-7/3. The resort is beautiful. The beach is beautiful. The people are friendly. We had the garden view room in the old section no tv, no minibar, no complaints. So what went wrong ?? Ants, tiny little ants all over our bathroom these little creatures were on the wall on the sink on the toilet everywhere. I called the front desk three times and every time they told me that they will send "someone" to take care of it no one ever came. Also, it rained almost everyday in Jamaica we were supposed to have an umbrella in our room but there was none. I called the front desk they said they will send "someone" to bring it over. The next day it started to rain in the evening and we had dinner reservations at Feathers still no umbrella. I called and ones again and they said that "someone" will bring it over I asked when will it be and they told me ones the rain stops. It rained throughout the night.
Service, where do I start... I don't mind the slow service but I do mind being ignored multiple of times by the staff.. if you call someone over they just look at you and keep doing what ever they were doing as if you are not there.
Food, there is a very little variety to choose from they will have either lamb, chicken, goat or snapper and rice or potatoes and salads. Breakfast no complaints just got a little boring after a while. Lunch is a buffet at the Palms not much to choose from and it's always the same. If you like sea food you won't find it here but they do serve grilled snapper- everyday. At Feathers you may find shrimp and boiled salmon. Dinner- we ate at the Palms twice and both times we had the same menu. Feathers- awesome. Thai- is equivalent to any fast food chinese restaurant in NYC. Also note that there is no ACs in any of the restaurants but they do bring wet cloths so you can wipe your sweat while eating.
I was glad to see that the catamaran and glass bottom boat are included in the package so we did both. We also took the shuttle to Pirates cave. It's a bar packed with tourist and you have to wait for about an 1.5hr until the shuttle picks you up.
In conclusion, the place is overpriced and we will never go back to CSA.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
58 Thank lena123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,396)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2005

We had a wonderful time at Couples Swept Away. The bus ride to the resort went really well and we got a great view of the coastline. The resort was really pretty with great landscaping. We got to see several other resorts (Beaches, Sandals etc.) when we took jetski trips up and down the beach and CSA always looked the best. Instead of the traditional resort look (which we didn't want), it had a more authentic tropical feel due to its white buildings with red tiled roofs surrounded by palm trees and plants.

Beach
The beach was gorgeous. There was plenty of shade from trees and umbrellas. However, it was very difficult getting one of the thatched umbrellas since people would grab them very early in the morning (before 7:30 AM). It would be nice if there were more of them.

There were plenty of bars on the beach so we never needed to use the red flag service. We noticed that it was a lot faster if we got drinks ourselves.

Watersports
There were several complimentary watersports – kayaks, hobie cats, little paddle boats, and snorkeling. Snorkeling was so fun that we went twice. We got to see at least 20 different types of fish. We also enjoyed the hobie cat, although we only got to go out once since it was too windy most of the time. They also offered diving, sailing, and water skiing lessons. The catarman cruise should not be missed, make sure you book early since there only have them twice a week. There was also plenty of watersports available for a fee – jetsking, parasailing, and banana boats.

Rooms
We had one of the newer beachfront verandah suites on the third floor. The view was absolutely gorgeous. The room decor was simple but nice. I liked the clay tiled floors. The mini-fridge was stocked nicely and came in handy throughout the stay, especially since it was very hot outside. The bathroom was average, but it didn’t really matter to us. There was some construction going on in the buildings behind ours, but we never heard any noise inside our rooms...probably because it wasn’t near our verandah. It might have affected the ocean view rooms though since their verandahs were closer to the construction.

Our only complaint was that housekeeping took forever to clean the rooms. They wouldn’t clean our rooms till about 5 pm. Again, this didn’t bother us too much since we were always on the beach.

Restaurants
There were four restaurants, one fruit & veggie bar, and a sports bar (in the complex across the street). We liked the Palms (buffet style) the best because of the variety of food served and its location. Lemongrass and Feathers were nice as well. The Italian restaurant was really romantic at night since it was on the beach; However, we didn’t care for the food that much. The service at the fruit & veggie bar took too long.

Honeymoon Package
We got a complimentary bottle of champagne and ½ hr couples massage. Since my husband doesn’t like massages, I got to combine the 2 ½ hour massage coupons for a full 1 hour massage. The massage was great, one of the best I’ve had. We also got invited to attend the honeymooner’s club, but we were too busy (with watersports) to go to the party.

20 Thank freqtraveler79
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2005

We spent our honeymoon at Couples Swept Away and I thought it was our best trip ever! We are in our early fifities and have traveled extensively in the Caribbean and Mexico and have always stayed at 4 and 5 star resorts.
This was our first time in Jamaica beause like others, we heard some stories about it not being very safe. We were pleasantly surprised at how safe, secure and thrilled we were with the resort and Negril!
Our trip was at the beginning of April and after reading some recent unflattering reviews, I felt compelled to give my own opinion. I can't believe that some of the reviewers were at the same resort!
The resort is very tropical and beautiful and the beach is the best we have ever seen (that includes Playa del Carmen, Punta Cana, Antigua and more)! The food was superior to any all-inclusive we have been to previously and the service was excellent. Yes, it is true that the flag service for cocktails on the beach is a nice idea, but it is slow and sometimes non-existent. But, we found it amusing and it became somewhat of a challenge to see if we could get a response with our flag up.
But, "give me a break", the bar is about 10 feet away! All I know is the first
time they approached us as we were lounging on this spectacular beach and brought us iced lemon scented towels to cool ourselves and refreshing
fruit kabobs, I thought I was in heaven!
We walked the beach everyday for miles beyond the resort and never felt unsafe or hassled. There are many resorts and restaurants on the rest of the beach, so there are tourists everywhere. We met some very friendly and interesting people on our walks, including vendors!
Our room was a garden room in the older section and the only thing I would do differently when we return (and we will return!), is to request a room that is not so close to the road. It is a very busy road with speeding traffic continuing late into the night, and we like to sleep with the windows open, so it can be a little loud! We did adjust after a few nights, though.
But, truly one of the best things about this resort is the people who work there! We have never had so many people, from the maid to our waitresses, ask our names and then remember us and greet us by name throughout the entire trip! Nataly is the main restaurant even came over to greet us when she was working in a different section of the dining room.
Nikischa at the fruit bar remembered the snack we had each afternoon and when she saw us coming, she would have it on the counter and ready for us! And, many times, we were told that they are not allowed to accept tips.
The service was so good that we actually felt uncomfortable not tipping!
Well, I could go on and on about this resort because I am in love with it!
From the strolling musicians on the beach, the wonderful food, the tree frogs and cricket symphony every evening, to the great people who work there, Swept Away is a very special place that we will never forget!

17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2005

Ok, I just went to couples swept away from June 20-25, 2005. I had researched heavily on the internet for the perfect honeymoon place and after returning, I know I made the right choice. I'm the biggest complainer in the world but let me tell this place is AWESOME!

We stayed in the Atrium and it was exactly as it looked on the couples web page, georgeous with the big ole hammock! The staff was more than willing to help us and let us know how to get around the property. I highly suggest going to orientation whitch is twice daily. They show where everything is located on the huge resort.

The nite life is good, we are in our mid 30's and didn't want drinking contest. So, if that is what your looking for, this isn't the place for you! They do talent shows, beach parties, movie nite, casino auctions, etc. It was perfect for what we were looking to do on vacation.

The food was excellent, I read tons of reviews about how they have the same thing everyday....Well, I found lunch was a different theme, Mexican, Chinese, American, etc.....so yes you will have some of the same ingrediants and types of foods. My favorite restaurant was lemon grass, it was the BEST! We ate at Feathers one nite but decided we liked lemongrass the best. It was open air outside overlooking the ocean. We got some great sunset shots from here.

Guest Relations....what can I say, these people are the ABSOLUTE BEST! Big D is such a comedian, Debra can shake it, Mitzi has the cat eyes, GR...well he is just Guest Relations (AKA Richard), then there was one other I nicknamed Rue Paul, he was so funny (don't know his name). These guys make your stay so enjoyable, it's like having friends on your vacations. GUEST RELATIONS ROCKS AT CSA

Everything was so great I literally cried at having to come home. Even when I look at our pictures I get sad.... I told my husband we are definetly going back next year!

I highly recommend this resort and anyone considering it should go!

17 Thank tleray
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2005

My husband and I were married at Sandals in Montego Bay 11 years ago and have not travelled since. This trip was very overdue and we took a chance on Couples Swept Away after it caught my interest in the travel brochure. We perused the reviews of the resort and despite a few negative reviews we felt that as the majority were praising the resort we decided to take a chance on this one. The week was amazing - due in part to the fact that we really needed to get away - but also because our room was wonderful, the staff was very helpful and friendly (and prompt - one morning we couldn't get our ceiling fan going, reported it to the front desk and by lunch time it was being repaired!). The food was great (we each gained five pounds on the trip), the resort was beautiful and the sun was out all but one of the seven days we were there. We tried parasailing but aside from that, just "relaxed". We met so many nice people at the resort and it was nice to spend time with others who were as pleased to be there as we were.

Was there anything that could have made our trip better? Perhaps the entertainment could have been improved upon ........ and seeing some of the guests being rude to some of the staff was something we could have done without. However, we were very pleased with everything about our trip and hope to return there in the future (this time we will NOT wait 11 years).

• Stayed June 2004
20 Thank mdpb
Attleboro, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2005

My husband and I just returned from our 7-day honeymoon at CSA and couldn't be happier. The resort was lovely. I had read several positive reviews on it, so I expected such, but my husband found it better than he had thought. He had expected that there would be a lot of downtime, relaxation, and not too many things to do aside from floating in the ocean, eating and drinking. While there was plenty of relaxation time, we also had a blast enjoying many of the activities provided. It may be our age (25 & 27) and the fact that we are pretty active, but we ended up doing many of the actitives that were organized by the resort (volleyball daily, hat making & dance classes, margarita tasting, talent show, fitness & massage classes, etc.) We also went on the Catamaran ride ("Booze Cruise"), did cliff jumping, waterskiing, snorkeling, paddle boats, and took lessons with a tennis pro.

What made the stay especially enjoyable for us was the the Guest Relations Team ("Big D," Richard, Debbie, Mitzy, Stacy, Conroy, & Alex). These people are absolutely great. They are talented, friendly, and an blast to be around. I can't imagine CSA without them!

I found the food and drinks to be very good. We ate at Feathers once, Lemongrass once, and either the Beach Grill or the Palms the other nights. There was a variety of food and even picky eaters like myself (quasi-vegetarian) and my husband (not keen on veggies) found enough selection. The drinks, especially the frozen ones (pina colada, dirty banana, Jamaican Browning, Blue Mountain iced coffee, etc.) were delicious. Probably the main complaint we had about the whole stay would be that it often took a while to actually get food and drinks. While the restaurants weren't too slow, almost every time we ordered snacks (from the beach grill of Feathers' snacks) it took quite a while -- up to 40 minutes the last time! Aside from that, the service was great, and the bartenders and and waitstaff were friendly and eager to please.
We ordered room service nearly every morning, and it was always delivered within the time frame we specified. The fulfillment of our orders seemd somewhat random at times (i.e. giving us 2 of food when we ordered 1, and vice versa), but overall it was very good. The pastries are delicious.

I was impressed by the sports complex. I had heard that CSA was the place to be if you like sports and fitness, and I found this to be true. The fitness classes were good, the gym was stocked with plenty of weight & cardio equipment, and there were several tennis courts in addition to a squash, raquetball, and basketball court. The only problem I had working out there was that there was no air conditioning aside from in the squash and raquetball courts. The gym was open-air, and as far as I know, the aerobics studio was only cooled by fans. But this was the case with almost everything there -- most buildings (excluding hotel rooms) were open-air and could get fairly hot. We learned to just deal with it though; it made jumping in the pool or ocean afterward all the more enjoyable! I also think the open-air design made theresort more authentically Jamaican.

At first I wasn't that impressed with our room; I suppose I was expecting something more hotel-like in nature. By the end of the stay though, I wouldn't have wanted anything different. If it's a traditional hotel you like, a Ritz or Wyndham might be more appropriate. But I believe the rooms/cottages at CSA contribute to the authenticity of the experience. That having been said, I still think there could have been more amenities in the rooms. Shampoo/conditioner, aloe, soap, and body wash were provided, but it would have been nice to have toothpaste, q-tips, moutwash, etc. available and to not have to buy these itesm at a premium at the gift shop.
We had a garden-view room, which meant there was no t.v. or minibar, and a large shower instead of a tub. We ended up having 2 double beds, which was NOT what we expected nor wanted, but realized that it wasn't the resorts' fault. We had done the "Secret Rendezvous" deal wherein Couples chooses what resort and room we end up at. If you want to save money and don't have a strong preference as to where you end up (we didn't), do this. If you would like a specific resort or room, book the traditional way. The front desk told us that they would move us if a king-bed room opened up, but it never did. But again, we ended up really liking our room by the end of our stay. It was in close proximity to the beach, the lobby, and the sports complex. We even had a small pond outside our back door. The surroundings were quite beautiful.

I could probably go on forever with comments about the resort and our stay, but I realize this is already quite lengthy. So just a few other things:

-Bring mosquito repellant! You will get bitten, especially at night.

-Go to the nightly shows. The entertainment is outstanding! The musicians and performers are exceptionally talented and are very enjoyable to watch/listen to/dance to.

-Book the catamaran cruise & dinner at Feathers a few days in advance. Reservations for these fill up quickly, but they are worth it. Also book snorkeling and other excursions ahead of time.

-If you are on your honeymoon, make sure you get the "his and hers" massages. They are great. Also, the honeymooners party is fun, and you have a chance to get some free rum. We ended up with 3 bottles by the end of the trip!

In conclusion, the trip was wonderful and we can't wait to go back!

19 Thank LlamaJenn
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2005

Some things improve with age, as does CSA. This was our 5th visit and 6th is booked for Dec. It seems each trip gets better than all the rest. We think "Wow......this was just the most amazing moments spent in JA" ; then they do something on the next trip to amaze us even more.

CSA is always trying to improve the resort and service. They strive to be the best!

They have world class chefs who create food that tastes so good. They have something for everyone, from fancy to simple. No one should go hungry here. You can almost eat 24 hours a day here, I think there may be a two hour lasp in the early, early morning.

Grounds are kept well mantianed. They have done alot to repair any damage done by Ivan. They have a greenhouse on property to contiune to plant. Grounds were full in bloom full of color and life, so very pretty.

The rooms of CSA are in a class all their own. They are beautiful and breath taking. CSA stays with a classic Island feel, no fancy tiles and marble just simple style that stands alone. I've never stayed anywhere so romantic and relaxing.

The staff is truly what makes a resort. The CSA staff are amazing people! Treat them as you treat your friends and they will take you into their heart and do all in their power to make you love CSA and Jamaica!

They are expanding the resort but have taken great measures to make sure they grow properly. The have new boats in the Watersports fleet, a bigger Glass bottom boat, are building another pool and more restaurants. I know of some other things , but don't want to spoil the surprise.

If you have doubts or questions visit Couples message board. You can hear from repeaters all the inside details and hear stories of CSA that will make you want to have your own CSA stories. I have many of my own, some I share......some I hold dear to my heart.

The difference between other AI's and Couples are the difference between a good vacation and a life experience. They don't have a huge number of repeaters by chance, they have it because they are great at what they do.

32 Thank Rrrrrrrrrr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
#9 of 84 in Negril
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,711 reviews
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!