“Excellent Honeymoon Spot”

Ranked #15 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Bishop, Georgia
“Excellent Honeymoon Spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2005

My husband and I stayed at Couples Swept Away for our honeymoon in March of 2005. We could not have picked a better place! This place had just what you need after the stress of a wedding. It was couples only of course (no kids) and very relaxing. Instead of a huge highrise resort, it was spread out sort of like villas. We were in the newer section (room 3121) which looked exactly like the pictures from the website. Our room was beachfront (literally steps away from the beach), with a big porch, mini bar which was fully restocked each day, and a bathroom with a tub. (The older section only has stand up showers and no mini bars). The grounds of the resort were perfect - beautiful flowers and beaches.
One of the best aspects of this trip was the people. We could not get over how nice and helpful every person we came in contact with was. From the moment we stepped off the bus from the airport, we felt great. The service at the hotel was amazing. Everyone is friendly and would bend over backwards to make sure we had what we needed. The security at the resort was also a plus. They had security on the beach/resort throughout the day and all night.
There were plenty of choices for food as well. Breakfast and lunch are offered in the main dining area as various ethnic buffets, and dinner in this area is more formal. (No flip-flops or hats for the guys). I am a picky eater, but they seem to do a great job of getting a wide variety of foods on the menu. If you want a more intimate, fancy dinner, you can make reservations at Feathers across the street. The food at Feathers was amazing!! Dinner also had live entertainment each night which was really great.
Also across the street is a huge sports complex (gym, spa, tennis courts, sports bar) which was great, although it's a little too hot to work out in the open air in Jamaica unless you're used to it. We had a couple of massages which we enjoyed very much.
The beach and the views were awesome - we were never crowded and didn't have to get out at the crack of dawn to get a chair. They have several bars and even offered beach bar service. We did find it was faster just to get drinks ourselves most of the time though. The resort offered so many activities, excursions, and water sports if you wanted to participate (even Jamaican cooking classes), but we didn't get harrassed about these either like some other places do. They also schedule a nightly activity like dinner on the beach, bonfire and acoustic music, or a movie on the beach. We would highly recommend the bonfire and music!
We really can't say enough about this place - we would not have wanted to be anywhere else for our honeymoon! If we had to list anything to change, it would have been the bed - it was extremely firm and towards the end of the week, we were ready for a soft bed! The only other downfall is the bus ride from Montego Bay. We had a slow bus driver on the way to the resort which was almost 2 hours. The ride back to the airport was a little terrifying in about 1 hour and 15 minutes. These two minor things would certainly not keep us from going back though. Definitely a fantastic honeymoon spot!

33 Thank MelissaCMVEV

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,414)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2005

I read so many reviews from Trip Advisor that I needed to post my own. This resort is Paradise! From the time we stepped off the plane until the day we left for the airport home (a sad day),we were treated like a King and Queen. The staff was excellent. Our room (Atrium top floor) was beautiful.The beach was spectacular. The Sunsets, no words to explain....
The food was great....I could go on and on. We are going back! Planning for next years trip already.
Any questions feel free to email me. Would love to share info and pics.

23 Thank PaCountryGirl
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2005

The beach/water was spectacular, but I can't say the same for our room. It was "open-air" (no glass on the windows) so we heard every frog, cricket, and bird noise plus the occasional party from the next suite. It also made the room feel a little muggy (even though there was a window unit in the room). It had an old, beach cottage feel, which I like, but not for the price we paid. As for our bathroom...think campground showers. All of the other accomodations (restaurants, lobby, etc) were very pretty and well appointed. The other disappointment was the service. We would order a beer or coke and would they would bring it about half of the time. They try hard, but they are not quite as well trained as the service we are used to. We had dinner reservations at 8:30pm and did not get served our meal until just after 10pm. However, the food was wonderful when we got it. Another surprise was the fact that the flowers/vegitation was in terrible condition. Apparantly, last years big hurricane wiped most of it out and it has not fully grown back. Another guest let us know about that. The weather was poor on the first two days of our stay, so that put a damper on things. When the water sports were open, we thoroghly enjoyed scuba diving. The dive instructors and crew were fantastic! Overall, the trip was just so-so for me and my husband. I expected more luxury for the price we paid. We will not return to Couples, or Jamaica. However, my husband has been to an all-inclusive resort in Cabo San Lucas that was very luxurious and much cheaper that we will probably go to in the future.

102 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2005

We stayed at CSA to attend our granddaughter's wedding on the beach. After weeks of reading reviews, we were a little nervous about the trip, but found everything to be great. The airport experience was as expected - no problem. The bus ride to CSA was in a small van with our family and although they travel fast and on the left side of the road, we did not feel unsafe. The driver was willing to answer any and all questions. The check-in was efficient with champagne & a cool towel upon arrival. They upgraded our rooms without asking and we immediately got into our rooms. The refrigerator was stocked with alchoholic drinks as well as soda and bottled water. We had read about not drinking the water and watching what you eat - but with our group of 8 people, no one had a problem with either. The beach was wonderful as well as the people. Dad & I were careful and put on sunscreen, but some of our adult children did not and they got a good burn. The beach party on Friday night was unbelievable - how they transform a sandy beach to a dining room with a huge buffet is simply undescribable. The wedding was beautiful as was the wedding meal at the Palms. The staff is very friendly, especially Deborah. We had no problems on the beach with people trying to sell us stuff - the Mountain Man went by each day, but did not bother anyone. We did not experience any bugs in our room - just one little ant. It's a great place to relax and be taken care of by a very efficient staff. We would certainly consider going to Jamaica again - as they say "no problem mon".

25 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2005

My husband and I honeymooned the week of 4/4-4/8. We enjoyed the complimentary Red Stripe Light at Couple's Airport Lounge and the 1 1/2 hour trip to the resort. Don't forget to take a bottled water and a snack for the ride! Upon arrival at the resort, we received a cold towel and a glass of champagne. Within 20 minutes we were shown to our room. We originally booked an Oceanview Suite and we received an Atrium Suite with a obstructed oceanview. Our room is located on the 2nd floor and the bottom floor was considered an Atrium room. The room looked nice and well kept, its wooden louvre blinds and open air style gave it a particular tropical character. BUT: our room faced the main pool, The Palms restaurant, entertainment area, and Sea Grapes cafe from a 15 yards distance. Late guests and staff cleaning up were causing noise until 11:30 pm, the next morning at 5:30 am, plates rattled in preparation for breakfast. This was not our idea of a quiet, secluded room with privacy. We asked to be moved, but the second room was tiny with a very small balcony, we both agreed that the front desk is well aware of room #1233 and will try to dissuade you by showing you a smaller room with a tiny balcony with 1 chair, and is close to the new section......meaning it is a long walk to dining and entertainment, but has a great oceanview. You decide. We decided to stay in our room, #1233 and we ended up loving it!! We did not notice the noise of the restaurants as much the rest of the trip and we enjoyed the live entertainment because we could sit on our huge well appointed balcony and just enjoy the beautiful sounds of music, usually until 11:00pm. We never even needed to use the cd player at night! The sounds of nature was wonderful and we enjoyed the tree frogs lulling us to sleep every night. The food at Lemongrass was good, the Coconut Shrimp was awesome! Feathers had an outstanding filet mignon and we are texans who love beef! Sea Grapes during the day was soo good! Try the Greek plate, the Jerk Chicken, and The chicken strip sandwich (really, chicken salad)...awesome! At night, Sea grapes had dinner on the beach which was usually an italian buffet. Great view, great salad and cheeses! Try the Miami Vice drink- 1/2 pina colada and 1/2 strawberry daiquri........Sooooo Delicious! Do you're trips in the morning, unless you're an early bird......The beach fills up fast in the morning and is virtually empty in the afternoon! Take the shopping trip to Negril.....Go to the Grocery store for you're rum and coffee purchases, it is also a great place to cool off! It must have been 65 degrees in there! Definately go to the orientation! It was very informative! Pack light....All we needed was a couple of bathing suits, some ounge wear, and a few dressy outfits! We basically, wore our bathing suits most of the time! We loved our stay and would go again! Even to room #1233!

Stayed April 2005
23 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2005

My husband and I returned to Couples Swept Away Negril to celebrate our first anniversary. Because our first trip there was unbelievably breathtaking we just had to do it again. We took friends with us who got married on the beach. The entire trip was wonderful. The room, food, staff, all super. Our friends are planning on returning next year for their first anniversary. And my husband says we'll be back next year too. Why go anywhere else when you've found your paradise. It was nice having the staff remember us and welcome us Home.

Stayed April 2005
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Antonio, Tx
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2005

My husband and I went to Swept Away for 7 nights 3/31-4/7 after researching and reading all the positive things about this place. My biggest advice to those who go is GET A BEACHFRONT ROOM IN THE NEW SECTION NEAR THE END OF THE PROPERTY.

The first night we arrived at 9pm, tired from traveling all day. We were put in a second floor atrium room that faced the dining room and was close to the street. It was so late I just wanted to sleep but we had to listen to the blaring music from the dining room until 11pm (that's when the music stops every night). I was awoken in the middle of the night and early morning by TRAFFIC NOISE. First thing in the morning I went down to the front desk and cried due to lack of sleep and they moved us to an antrium room that was by the wedding gazebo. The window to this room (not the veranda) faced the street and I still heard loud traffic noise. The afternoon we moved, a wedding reception was taking place and they were blarring reggae music. I just cried... I wanted to sleep so badly. The third day they moved us again to our "level" of room, which I accepted because the main window faced the ocean and all I heard was ocean.....great for sleeping. The downside to this is we lost that great veranda. The room had a very small balcony and when I went to sit outside...you guessed it.... I heard traffic noise!

The rest of the CSA is as nice as everyone says. The food was good, the activities were fun. The beach, however, is about a third of its original size due to the hurricane that demolished Jamaica in Sept 04. One day the waves were atypically large and a worker said "hey, mon, the sea is giving us back our beach".

Overall, I would not go back. I expected a peaceful, tranquil environment to catch up on some well needed sleep. Instead I came home and luckily had the weekend to sleep away before I went back to work.

108 Thank TexasPam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,749 reviews

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!