“Overall Very Good” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Negril
new york
“Overall Very Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2005

Overall:
Went to Swept Away in January 2005 was very happy with the resort. Think they have alot right but there were some negatives as well. Most are small annoyances and kind of chisel at the great things of the resort.

The good: the old style rooms, beach, general atmosphere, the people and staff, overall experience, wide layout of the resort, was very romantic, Sunsets.

If you are active and ask questions you can get plenty of value from the resort.

The bad: Niggeling little things that would not be a big expense taking away from the vacation(considering what the price you pay 2200 PP all inclusive on a busy week. Also toward the end of the week the place got more crowded still ok though. Once they have the new builidng on line it may be too crowded if thy do not increase facilitys

Beach
beach was excellent, the rest of the seven mile beach not including beaches and the resorts on bloody bay was eroded and looked quite sad.

service on the beach was excellent with flag service. People seemed to like the drinks but there was no fresh fruit juice drinks all mix type. Beer all draft and tap water only with no botteled water.

The water doesent seem to be a problem so I would give them a pass but this is a small item that they could provide as it is somthing people drink as normal.

Chairs
Pleny of chairs avialble all with floats. Shade mostly available usuelly helped to get up early and get shade areas.

Pool
Very small and not much use in it. The beach is so nice that it is not a focus of this resort.

Water sports
very easy to get onto everything sailing etc toward the end of our trip it got more tight but the water sport people were freindly and even took us out sailing till we got the hang of it. Snorkling was very good. They did not have water skiing all the time (another chisel factor.)

Excursions
catemeran tour was ok but came back before sunset boo. We saw others go at sunset which would be much nicer. Also on the cat tour, which is contracted, they did not insist people swimming to the caves wear life vests and one guy almost drowned. Yea you have to be responsible but this is an over sight by the resort. Biking tour was fun but the biking equipment was garbage all they kept saying was they will have 6 new bikes in one or two weeks. With the price of bikes compared to saftey and what people are paying for this place these bikes should all have been upgraded years ago. Also this tour could be longer.

Overall the food and service was very good. I would not say 5 star but everything was very good to passible( with all inclusive you figure out what was good and eat that.)

Dinner
Perrier Served at dinner was nice touch.

French restaurant was tasty and they would give you as much as you wanted ie can i have steak and shrimp, really good service in this restaurant. thai was very good more asian than strict thai but at the end of the meal at these places you would wait for a check. It was great eating under the stars at the thai restaurant.

I prefer service restarants and you do not have to make a reservation at the thai while the french you could make one day before. In a pinch they always have 9 pm reservations at french, at least while I was there. I ate thai 1/2 the time and frech the other 1/2 also had two nights of buffet. Did not prefer the dinner buffets nor the the main restaurant food was not as good and less good choices ie cheaper. Beach party had good local food but no specialty ie shrimp or steak.

Never ate at the italian on the beach as it was buffett and did not look that good.

Lunch
beach grill had good fresh fruit drinks and good choices with service great jerk chicken etc.
Main lunch buffet was always nutrious and had good tasting food for lunch.

Breakfast
Amazing breakfast with fresh juice great breads, eggs, pancakes, waffels,etc.

Deserts:
Not very good which is strange because the breads were so good.

breakfast room service
Excellent breads and coffee. Where is the fresh juice? it is only at breakfast buffet.

Bars:
Sports bar ok

beach bars very cool with great bartenders should be kept open latter.
Good mixed drinks no fresh juice no bottled beer

Martini bar best bar with lychee, watermelon and other types of drinks inclding bottled beer(yea) They serve from this bar to the Thai restaurant.

Good house chamapgne(at least I liked it and drank it the whole time.)
Pleny of name brand liquor even more so at the Martini Bar.

Rooms and grounds:
We had a atrium suite great room though kind of older. All of the window slats open making your room like it was outside. Also there is a huge veranda with couch and Hammock. fit right in with the grounds all low rise and very relaxing. Love this part of the resort. upstairs have high ceiling and bathroom is open to the room. Slight negative but overall great rooms think i would prefer the older to the newer rooms which are more tightly packed and seem smaller though still nice. Also my room had a partiall ocean view which was very nice.

Some complained they had a garden suite right by the road and was very noisy.

Partying:
Not something you will find readly at this resort. People in bed by 12.

Sports:
Have great facilities though did not prefer the open air gym. Great tennis. Volleyball only ok and not a focus. Nice squash and raquetball courts.

Would rate this resort 4.5 stars if they had the option

Email me if you have any questions regarding this resort.

• Stayed January 2005
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
20 Thank foody2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,395)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Waalre, Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2005

Having spent holidays in other Caribbean island resorts and on a Star Clipper cruise in earlier years, we decided to spend a week (Feb 13-20) in CSA.
After a long trip with over 4 hours delay we arrived in CSA at around 1 AM. After check-in our luggage was taken to the requested 2nd floor Atrium room. The room looked nice and well kept, its wooden louvre blinds and open air style gave it a particular tropical character. BUT: our room faced the main restaurant and entertainment room from a 15 yards distance. Late guests and staff cleaning up were causing noise until 2.30 AM, the next morning at 5.30 AM plates rattled in preparation for breakfast. This was not our idea of a quiet, secluded room with privacy. Unless you are a serious party person, avoid room #1233!!
Next morning we requested a room change. That could not be accomodated the same day, as the hotel was fully booked. But the morning after another noisy night a lady from Reservations took us to show the location of the room we were going to be moved in to. She could not show the room itself as it was still occupied at that time of day, but she stopped in front of one of the nice oceanfront houses (the last one before the new hotel extension part begins), pointing to the 2nd floor large balcony appartment saying: "That will be your room, enjoy it because this is an upgrade!!"
Having picked up our key a few hours later we went to inspect our room, only to find out that our luggage had been taken to an Atrium-size room at the garden-side in that house, fitted with a small but palmtree-secluded balcony. Although we felt cheated, we decided to stay: after all we were now away from the noise, overlooked the ocean from our bed in front of the open-air window, and had a balcony with good privacy. We did not regret our decision.
A few other things about CSA:
- food is generally good though not particularly attractive. A lot is done buffet style (after a few days you know what's there), the Thai restaurant we found mediocre quality, Feathers was always fully booked when we asked, dinner times (6.30 PM and 9.00 PM) are not ideal. We were surprised by the relative low number of seafood dishes in this seaside resort
- staff is generally friendly, though not always very efficient. But why hurry, you're on holiday! The only negative is room cleaning: where we stayed it appeared to be done at varying hours of the day, if you want to have an afternoon siesta you may find your room has not been cleaned yet, and will not be cleaned after you have left again (in the evening only turndown service)
- sports facilities generally good for holiday level (some facilities are even better than can be expected), staff is helpful
- entertainment was OK, though not always our taste. Fun evenings were the beach party (good opportunity to get to know other people as you share tables) and the reggae evening (unfortunately many people left early)
- beach is clean with clear water, for a spot in the shade you have to be early. Beach bars are OK, especially with Diolette (serving the main beach) keeping is well stocked with drinks, fruit and good humor. We haven't experienced any unsolicited selling, "travelling bands" provided music along the day.

We feel that CSA will need to be very careful to avoid losing its typical character. Extending its facilities with some 140 additional rooms takes away the secluded style the "old" part still has. The new rooms (we had a look inside one) compare to those in well outfitted but not "special" hotels. Taking in 280 additional guests without extending other facilities by the same rate creates waiting for guests, loss of privacy on a populated beach, staff losing oversight. Guests complaining about the absence of an American sports channel on their "new room" TV set, appear to be a different crowd from the people happily staying in the "old" part without any TV set. Wasn't this resort called "Swept Away"??

94 Thank TravellerJanWaalre
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2005

We booked this based on Trip Advisor reviews and were not dissapointed. Based on advice on this site we booked a garden room away from the road and the resteruant as the one problem with these rooms is the noise. I would also recommend an upstairs room for more privacy. The beech is idilic and if you wander along at take a look at the adjoining Sandals esorts you will wonder what they are paying for, as they are not a patch on this place.

The sports facilities are the best on the Island, the staff are incredibly friendly. We had heard mixed reviews about Jamaica. Its not as sanitised as other parts of the Caribian. But thats its great strength. I loved the Jamacans, it wasn't totally false. The service was exactly as I would want it, they were polite efficient, cheerful but not so grovelly that you felt uncomfortable.

The food, entertaiment were very good. Although Feathers is probably the pick of the food, we enjoyed the Jamaican and Asian Fusion on the balcony on two evenings. The Catamaran trip is free and also highly recommended.

This place is highly recommended. Its romantic with attitude!

10 Thank Swoopster
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2005

Introduction: This is our eight trip to Jamaica but the first to a Couples resort. All the previous trips were to a Sandals property. We decided to try Couples just for a change. We had a lot of difficulty deciding between Couples Swept Away and Grand Lido Negril. We finally settled on CSA.

Arrival: We flew Northwest Airlines out of Detroit and it was a very pleasant flight. We arrived at MBJ a few minutes early, but we would find out that didn’t matter at all.

Arrival at CSA:
We were promptly given a cold wash cloth and a glass of champagne as they checked us in. We had booked a beach front verandah suite and we were hoping for a first floor room. When Nicola checked us in we had a second floor room in the last beach front building. I politely asked her if a first floor was available and within minutes, and with a smile, she switched us to a first floor room in the first block of beach front buildings.

Room: Beach front verandah suite 3118: Our room was located in the first set of beach front buildings directly on the beach. We were the second room on the first floor. There are four of these beach front verandah buildings. All four are three stories high with four rooms on each floor. The first and last rooms on each floor have a wall of louvers covered with plexiglass and their verandahs are open on two sides. The interior rooms have a more private verandah and they do not have any louvers. I really liked the location of this block of rooms because it was very centrally located. It also was located in the middle of both of the beach bars which was very convenient. The stretch of beach in front of this block of rooms is not as large due to Hurricane Ivan. It drops off a few feet and then you are at the water. I really liked this because all the people walking the beach were just a few feet below you so you were never in anyone’s direct path. This made it very private and quiet. (See my pictures for a visual.)

The room consists of a king size bed with four sleeping pillows and several decorative pillows, a chair, two night stands that are built into the walls, a t.v. cabinet with a mini refrigerator underneath, and a set of shelves with several drawers. It is not elegant by any means but very comfortable. The floor is tile with a small rug at either side of the bed.

The bathroom was larger than I expected. It had a tub/shower combination with quite a large tiled area which was great for putting y our shower items. The sink counter area could be larger but it was adequate. The mirror has three sections, the end sections can be moved so you can see the side and back of your head. I liked that! The hair dryer was the only problem for me in the bathroom. Tip of the day: Bring your own! I stopped bringing my hair dryer since all the resorts we stay at usually have a dryer that sufficiently works. This one works all right, but, you literally have to hold down a red button for power. I know this doesn’t sound like a big deal but it was a pain in the rear! After a couple of days of doing that I really regretted not having my hair dryer.

Verandah: The best part of the room for me! It is a decent size (not as large as the verandahs in the older section) with a rocking chair, large table and an extremely comfortable couch with several throw pillows! Since all these suites face the west the verandah is flooded with glorious sunshine in the afternoon. Some may not like that but for me it was fantastic to lay on the couch and read and feel the warm sun all over me. Because we had a first floor room the ability to walk directly from our verandah to the beach was the best part of this room. We were literally 10 steps from the beach. This location is what would bring me back to Swept Away.

Other rooms: CSA is not a large property and that’s part of its charm. We walked through all of the beautiful pathways that would wind through the old section and wandered through the new sections as well. All the beach front verandah suites are built and occupied. They still have several ocean front and garden front suites that are shells right now. They are fenced off and we did not see any work on these suites the entire week. We were told that the new swim up pool and bar will be located at the end of the resort where the new suites are being built. I personally loved the location of both the beach front verandah (new section with t.v.) and the beach front suites (old section/no t.v.) The ocean front verandah suites however, are also pretty close to the beach and in a very good location. They surround the jacuzzi and have their very own “courtyard.” Most of these suites have some view of the ocean and two blocks had wonderful views of the ocean. I don’t know what the price difference is between ocean front verandah and beach front verandah, but if it’s a lot they would be worth considering. The garden verandah suites are also very beautiful. They sit further back and have a wonderful babbling brook and waterfall in front of one block. (See pictures) If you are sitting on your verandah you hear the waterfall and it’s quite relaxing. However, they are way too close to the road for me to ever consider one. The road to Negril is very busy and there are cars at all hours of the day and night. I didn’t meet up with any one who was staying in a garden verandah suite so I don’t know how much of the road noise is a problem, but I know for us ANY noise is a problem! LOL Brian sleeps with ear plugs to block out the tree frogs! I can sleep through anything! :)

Everything everyone said about the older section is true. It is much more secluded and private. I still wouldn’t stay in a garden view room due to the road being so close, but the atrium rooms do look lovely. From what I could tell most of these rooms have a shaded verandah. I prefer the sun shining on mine but for those who desire shade these suites would fit the bill! I noticed that many of the atrium suites had a reading lamp that is attached to the wall, the kind you can adjust to shine right on your book. That was neat. I don’t know about the older suites but our verandah also had a plug, which was great for when I was using my laptop!

Resort bars: The resort has three beach bars, a piano bar, a bar in the Palms restaurant, plus a bar across the street at the sports complex. The beach bars are located at the beginning of the beach front suites (older section) and at the end of the beach front verandah suites (new section.) However, the beach bar at the end of the new section is only temporary until the new swim up pool bar is completed. There is also a veggie bar which serves lunch fare on the beach as well which is located closer to the main pool. I never waited more than one minute for a drink at any of the beach bars. I had heard that the waits were long, but, I never experienced any delays. Since Brian and I drink soft drinks during the day an improvement to this resort would be a self serve soda machine. A few of the Sandals resorts have one and in my opinion it is a great connivence for those who only want a refill on a pop, thus cutting down on the lines around the beach bar.

Pools: There are two pools at CSA. One is a nice size pool you may find in a neighborhood back yard and the other is an enormous olympic size lap pool. I never saw anyone in either of these pools. If you want a nice pool all to yourself then this is the place for you. If you are into swimming laps in a “lane” then this is the place for you. There are pool chairs and umbrella tables located around both pools.

Food: Adequate. We’ve been to Sandals resorts over 8x and found their food to be average to good. We heard the CSA was a notch above Sandals. Not true. It’s actually equal to or less than the food we’ve had at many Sandals resorts. Don’t get me wrong, you won’t go hungry, but we just expected more. Feathers (their finest restaurant) is highly overrated.

Beach: Spectacular in a word. Without a doubt the most beautiful beach we’ve seen in Jamaica. The main beach had plenty of chairs though we never used it since we had a beach directly in front of our room. I really like the fact that each chair has its own cushion that can be used as a float. Nice. No more trying to get one at the Sandal’s pools! I hated that! These chairs were also a step up from the chairs we are used to at Sandals. They are the hard plastic with a thick floatie on top or a green upholstered cushion, your choice. On the most part the beach was clean, but in front of the new section I noticed that on three occasions it was not cleaned up from the day before. We are the kind of people who NEVER leave our empty cups and other garbage on the tables or sand for someone else to pick up, but there are many people who do. So, there were times that the beach looked a bit messy.

On the main beach they would come by with cold towels and fruit kabobs. Nice idea! They also have the flag service here. They come around and give everyone a flag and you put it in the sand if you’d like service. We didn’t utilize that often but for people who did it worked great. However, the flag service on the main beach was much better because they were closer to the beach bar.

Insects: We didn’t have any trouble with the insects here. Yes, there are ants and other little insects but nothing out of the ordinary for a Caribbean property. We didn’t experience any sand flea bites or ever have a problem in any of the open air restaurants with insects.

Closing: All in all it wa a wonderful vacation. The food was a major disappointment but the service, location of our room, and the overall ambiance of this resort would bring me back.

This is a mini version of the much lengthier trip report I wrote for another discussion board. If you’d like the “long” version drop me an e-mail!!

Feel free to ask any questions or e-mail me. cp8mucs@ucs.misd.net

56 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mt.Vernon,Va.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2005

To alleviate the dry beach before the bars open at Swept Away(10am), I always fill my insulated container at breakfast w/ice & water. We're looking forward to our annual week of sun and fun next week!

• Stayed February 2005
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
6 Thank Janeyb
ann arbor
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2005

This resort is just gorgeous. The beach is clean and the water is turquoise and clear. It is a bit crowded though, and you must get your towels on your chair by 7am if you want a good spot. The sunsets and beautiful and many guests get a drink from the sunset bar and watch before getting ready for dinner. One major problem is that the drink service doesn't open until 10:00am on the beach, so you will have no access to water if you are out there early. I tried to go to the breakfast buffet a couple of times to get a glass of water while in my beachwear, and they really seemed to frown upon that. They made me stand there and drink my glass of water as they don't have plastic cups available. They really need to fix that problem, as if you don't have a minibar in your room, you will be thirsty on the beach in the morning.

The food is good overall, but there were more buffets than I expected. Breakfast and lunch are buffet. There are snacks at the veggie bar during the day. At dinner there are 4 restaurants. 2 of them are buffet. The Italian restaurant on the beach is a nice atmosphere-but it is a buffet. The Thai restaurant and Feathers both provide menus, and the food was great, although the service was somewhat spotty. You must make reservations for Feathers and it seemed like our only time choices were 6:30 or 9:00, which worked out to be either too early or too late, but it was worth it and we ate there 3 times.

I am not impressed with the entertainment-where is the reagee? On Friday, they have Jamaican entertainment on the beach with a steel drum band and other things-that was the only good entertainment. Every other night it is the same band in the dining room playing stuff like "Mustang Sally" and Y.M.C.A! Not what we go on vacation to here!

The room were great visually, but not so practical. We stayed in an Atrium Suite, which is basically a screened in porch with shutters all around. It is simply decorated and very nice. However, you can hear everything going on around you at all hours of the night and day. THey put us right by the dining room and we did not sleep for 3 days-until we got moved. They would be banging plates around until 3:00 am cleaning up after the buffet, etc. Then, at 4:00am the morning crew would start up. It was an absolute nightmare. They moved us nicely, but we were by the road and still could hear traffic going by. If I returned, I would definitely get a beachfront because it is fatherest from the road, in the new section as it is farthest from the dining room.

I would reccommend the catamaran cruise. The other activities were all other bars, restaurants. I don't see why you would want to go buy food and drink somewhere else when you already paid for it at couples.

Very reccomended-just pay close attention to your room location. We visited Jan 30th to Feb 6th 2005

29 Thank fancydancey
Phil.,Pa/
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2005

Just got back after a week-Jan.30 to Feb.5,2005. Age runs from newlyweds to 70 year olds ( point is no age limitation). Every top shelf booze you could think of, even in your room. Staff people, whether bar person , front desk, gardeners or housekeeping were extremely courteous and helpful. A must is the piano bar to have fun and meet people from all over the world. Enjoyed the new section because it made you walk to restaurants ( burn some calories!!). Beach buffet was excellent. Beef a little tough whether buffet or off the menu. Fethers a little overrated!!

10 Thank cpb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
#9 of 84 in Negril
#16 of 84 in Negril
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,172 reviews
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!