“Age-No Problem”

Ranked #14 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Phil.,Pa/
“Age-No Problem”
Reviewed February 10, 2005

Just got back after a week-Jan.30 to Feb.5,2005. Age runs from newlyweds to 70 year olds ( point is no age limitation). Every top shelf booze you could think of, even in your room. Staff people, whether bar person , front desk, gardeners or housekeeping were extremely courteous and helpful. A must is the piano bar to have fun and meet people from all over the world. Enjoyed the new section because it made you walk to restaurants ( burn some calories!!). Beach buffet was excellent. Beef a little tough whether buffet or off the menu. Fethers a little overrated!!

10 Thank cpb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,447)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed February 10, 2005

We just returned from 5 nights (Feb 4-9) at Swept Away.

Room: We had a beachfront veranda in the new section and it was perfect. I think we got lucky because we were towards the end so there wasn't a lot of foot traffic around us. If we ever went back, I'd try to get the same or similar room. We stepped down from the veranda onto the sand and when it was too hot, we just retreated to the veranda and watched the waves. I heard many complaints from people we met about noise in their rooms but we did not have a problem.

Food: I'm not a picky eater but I have had the fortune at eating at 5 star restaurants for work. We enjoyed Feathers and Lemongrass very much. I think this is where the good cooks and waiters get promoted to. We loved the Veggie bar (also called Sea grass) but this is for light afternoon fare and the food is not high end but enjoyable. The Palms was good in theory but execution was often poor. What I mean by this is that there were things that were bad that should be easy to correct. For example, I saw many examples of cleanliness problems (lipstick on a glass, eggs not cooked properly, bees buzzing around food that was left out) and it seemed this is where the wait staff begins their careers at Swept Away. The cleanliness issues were upsetting but we were just careful about what we ate.

Staff: Overall the staff was very friendly. There were some that weren't but I think the ones that were more than made up for it.

Entertainment: The nightly entertainment was great and I only regret we did not take advantage of it every night. Too much sun and alcohol knocked us out early!

Tips:
1. Make your reservations for Feathers early in the morning the day before you want to eat. Otherwise, you'll be eating at 9:00pm.

2. If you want a beach chair, get out early and throw your towels on them. They go quick.

3. Lock your belongings in the safe. I had a watch go missing. It's possible that I misplaced it but it's also possible I did not.

4. We were offered drugs on the beach but it wasn't a big deal. Just a 'no thank you' and there was no hassle.

Overall we had a good time. If we were to go back to Jamaica, I think we might try another location just to have something to compare it to. We'd certainly consider the Ochos Rios Couples as the resort itself was good.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 5, 2005

1. The older part and newer part are not identical. The older section has the charming, louvered rooms with big verandas. The rooms in the newer section are more like standard hotel rooms. They are, however, more private on the higher floors (Yes, you can see what people are doing in the older rooms if they don't close the shutters.) and have TVs if that's what you want.
2. Go to orientation. Yeah, it's the last thing you want to do on vacation, but we missed some things because we played hooky.
3. The beach was very crowded when we were there, and people with the primo seats got up at the crack of dawn to stake their claims. The pool, however, isn't as crowded and has shade if that's what you need.
4. We've been to Jamaica often, and in our experience, the people at Swept Away were by far the most interested in helping us. If you ask, they'll do their best to get it for you. The morning room service is prompt, the rooms are cleaned quickly and the fridges are consistently stocked. We didn't like our first room, and the desk was happy to move us -- not immediately, but within reason, and pleasantly.
5. The quality of the food was very unreliable. I had a dinner at Palms (the main restaurant) that was just inedible. We ate twice at Feathers and one entree was spectacular and the other was horrible. The Italian restaurant on the beach was just bad. The seafood seems to be the most consistently good. Again, however, if I'd said something -- particularly at Feathers -- I think they'd have fallen over themselves to bring me something different.
6. We're not sports people, but those we met who are think the sports complex -- especially the tennis -- is great.
7. The beach is public, but patrolled, and contrary to other reports, no one offered us drugs.
8. The resort has grown and is still expanding. If you're looking for the intimate, semi-secluded place this must once have been, it's gone.

113 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 29, 2005

We just got back from Couples Swept Away.
Let me tell you, this place is beyond amazing.
We didn't have any problems at all.
The beach is fantastic, we had so much fun.
The rooms and accomodations were outstanding.
Loved the food!
If you want a relaxing, stress free and *romantic* vacation in paradise, Couples Swept Away is the place for you.
We would return in a heartbeat!!

15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
United States
Reviewed January 29, 2005

Just got back from four nights at Couples Swept Away. We were there from Jan 19 - 23, 2005. I had to write this review, because we were so pleased with Couples.

We flew in right on time into Montego Bay landing at around 2:30P and spent over a horrid hour clearing customs and immigration as several flights got in at the same time. We headed to the Couples reception room and gladly accepted the ice cold Red Stripes and Bottled water they offered us. Talked to a few of the couples waiting there and all were excited about heading out to Negril. After about a 15 minute wait, the Couples host deteremined we were all here and it was time to head out. The ride took about an hour and 15 minutes and the chatty (informative though!) driver was nice enough to stop for one more Red Stripe run on the way. Got to Negril and stopped first to drop one very happy couple off at Couples Negril. Still on board with us was one couple who were returning for their 7th visit at Swept Away. I took that as a very positive sign. Upon arrival they greeted us with champagne which was very good. I was impressed that there were several people checking us in. The couple visiting for the 7th time got a nice reception, plus coupons for free massages also and some other goodies, but I didn't want to appear to be too nosy so I didn't ask what they were.

We got assigned our GARDEN VIEW ROOM in the old part of the resort which I now understand is very popular with people who have been coming for years. We were in the building next to the reception which is adjacent to the main road. We had nice sized room with a beautiful King sized bed and huge patio. No TV greeted us which was kind of a surprise, but we quickly got over that and ended up on not missing it as there was plenty of other things to occupy us. I loved the tile floor and the bathroom was huge. Plenty of closet space for us and we thought the bathrobes was a nice touch. They had ice in a carafe also. That was kept filled the entire time we were there. We did hear a bit of road noise in the morning, but that was it. When we crossed the resort over the road, the attendants make sure all traffic somes to a halt. Couldn't believe the health club and tennis courts or pool...Amazing for the Caribbean. I would recommend this place to any people into working out and staying in shape.

THE Seven mile BEACH there was great. We sunned, swam and even ran it on two of the mornings. Walked to Margaritaville one day a noontime for Cheeseburgers in Paradise which we couldn't pass up. Never had a problem finding a chair like we have at lots of places we have visited. We weren't hassled by vendors, bust politely said NO, Thank you! No complaints there. We did the snorkeling excursion our last afternoon and were surprised we were the only ones on it. The catamaran tour had about 50 people on it so that was where everybody went. They took the glass bottom boat out with just us two on board. We could NOT believe how good that trip was. We were NOT going to go because we go the Virgin islands quite a bit and didn't think it was possible to top that snorkeling. I have to say it was. Saw all kinds of sealife, including a large sea turtle. Water was clear and beautiful! Because it was just us two and we got out of the water a few minutes early the guys on the boat asked us if we wanted a private tour which we of course took them up on. Passed by what the locals call..."Butt naked Beach"...which was the Hedionism II resort, got a laugh out of that, but to each his own I guess. Due in part to Swept Away having so many Germans and Italians there was plenty of topless there also.

THE FOOD was excellent everywhere we ate. The first night we ate at the Thai resturant Lemongrass. Started off waiting in the bar area outside with a great Absolut watermelon cosmopolition. For dinner there, I had the Shrimp dish with the Thai noodles that was outstanding. Wanted to go back the next night, but got reservations for Feathers instead. Feathers was very upscale and was fantastic. Really a first rate place. Have to admit we sampled three appetizers between the two of us. I had the Shrimp (again) and my husband had the filet. Ended the meal with flaming Jamician coffees topped with whipped cream! We ended up taking two hours for that dinner. What a luxury. We never felt rushed at all. Didn't order off of the wine list because the champagne at the resort was so good we just kept drinking that. Plus, the sparkling water there was Perrier so we didn't need more than that. Decent wine list I might add, expensive, but that comes with the terriority. Breakfast and lunch buffets were exceptional as well. The only thing we weren't totally crazy about the was the beach party Friday night. We did have the Roast Pig with gravy and the fried Fish were the standouts there. For our last night we did the Thai thing again and I had my Shrimp again...excellent once more! Service everywhere was fantastic. Entertainment was great too, more than we could keep up with. Dancing a few nights was fun and the bands were good.

THE PEOPLE at the resort were so friendly. Our first morning was a little rainly so we were joined at the awesome breakfast buffet by AJ who works at the resort. He asked to sit with us as management wanted their people visible and out with guests to answer any questions or concerns we might have. He was the first of the nice people we met, some others stand out like Clyde at the beach bar, Romain at the Main Bar, the girl in the breakfast buffet who makes unreal waffles whose husband works at Walmart in New York City (sorry, I forgot her name).
Leaton who works in guest services was really nice as well. He took us on the Saturday afternoon sunset ride to Pirates Cave. We were the only ones the tour so we had plenty of time to chat. It was a beautiful sunset and he gave us plenty of time to enjoy it. He said all their tours go if there is one person or 20 people. People at the front desk were nice as well, even when they were getting pretty beat up by guests who were complaining of lost luggage, airline problems brought on by the storm of the century, etc. They never lost their cool, which I'm sure I would've myself.

A BIG TIP...buy your phone cards in the gift shop. We did and only spent $30 to keep in touch with home and family. Prices on some things in the shop were high, but I thought TShirt prices were reasonable.

Hope this wasn't too long a read, but we have traveled a lot, been to Sandals before also(no comparison sorry!), other islands and resorts and this is now a favorite. I honestly don't know where some of the other reviewers stayed, but we had no complaints. We kept running into one of the other couples we arrived with. They were from Boston and I'll mention no names...however they were supposed to leave the same time we were...they extended their stay by a few days, raved about the couples massage and on.

Any questions...just write NewEnglandatHome@aol.com

50 Thank luvtravelingthrulife
Philadelphia
Reviewed January 27, 2005

I wanted to give a detailed review of this resort as this site helped me alot in making my decision and maybe mine will help someone else.

Rooms: My GF and I sayed in the new beachfront veranda's, Loved them and I could have never imagine how close to the water these actual rooms are, maybe 50 ft or so. The minibar was great and loaded with different things and the TV was a nice plus, did not watch it much but was great to have. The bed, O my the bed, the best I have ever slept in . It was a wonderful room. What a view. (must get 2nd or 3rd floor though, more private)

Beach: The beach was beautiful, clean, big in old area smaller in new but still very beautiful. 2 bars were located right on beach and the people that worked there were great. If you put your flag up they will serve you drinks right on the beach. Love that :)

Food: I give the food about a 8 out of 10. It was great most nights and average some but there was usually a pretty good selection. Feathers was pretty great but it was more of an event to eat there and kinda slow. Main dining was fine, international night was great and had a wonderful buffet. But the Tai place was the best, beautiful and great food. Wait till I tell you about the beach party on friday nights.

Enertainment: I give that a 8 out of 10. Now I loved the guest coordinators, really wonderfull people and they really tried to make everyone's time very fun but in my opinion not alot of people would get involved. Felt they needed maybe a few more things for people to try. Not very much of a late night crowd though but we met couples that liked to party. The beach activity had plenty of watersports to do and It was easy to sign up for these things. We loved to jetski but that was extra, don't pay more the 70 dollers for an hour for you and your girl.

Beachparty: The best , O my the best, beautiful , great food and wonderful entertainment. That was are first night and we were hooked from that point on. My girl and I were very impressed with that.

Overall: The resort is great, the people that work there are very nice as well and we made friends with alot of other couples. The front desk people are not the best and kinda stuffy, sometimes service at dinner was slow and I felt that they needed to serve more seafood, They did not get Fox TV the day of my big eagles game so we went to margaritaville to watch game. Drink are not free there. all minor things but they do add up and prevented me from giving the resort 5 stars. But I would go back in a heart beat. Last thing to say is GO EAGLES, WIN THE SUPERBOWL !!

15 Thank stavos
Reviewed January 26, 2005

My wife and I have had increasingly more and more troubles with all of the Couples resorts in Negril. We were married and honeymooned at Couples Swept Away in the winter of 2003. We went all out and had reserved a "Beach Front Suite", and they attempted to stick us in a lessor room near the kitchen. If we wouldn't have made a stink about it we would have been stuck there.

Then in the winter of 2004 our daughter was married at Couples Swept Away (week 1) and honeymooned at Couples Negril (week 2) we accompanied them and had reserved the same "Beach Front Suites", and again (at both resorts) they attempted to give us lessor rooms than we had paid for. In fact we had to pay staff under the table to receive the rooms we had actually reserved.

This year (winter 2005) we thought we would try one last time to enjoy a Couples resort (Idle Awhile) and reserved rooms with one other couple and found out less than a week before we left that they had over booked and did not have our rooms, and tried to push us off on a less expensive resort down the beach.

Every one of these reservations was made as soon as reservations were accepted - our thinking was if we were first to reserve we were sure to get the desired accomodations - but it doesn't seem to matter to these resorts/owners that they totally wreck your vacation as long as they have your money in their pockets. WATCH OUT FOR COUPLES RESORTS IT SEEMS THAT TO THEM WRECKING YOUR VACATION IS "NO PROBLEM MON".

JD - MPLS, MN

114 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Sandy Haven Resort
Hedonism II
#17 of 81 in Negril
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!