“A little slice of paradise - great food, coctails and amazing beach!”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #13 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We stayed at Couples Swept Away for our first trip to the Caribbean and Jamaica. First of all Negril, if you are trying to decide where to stay in Jamaica Negril is the place to go if you are looking for one of the most beautiful beaches in the world - it was a real trip to paradise...My husband and I have been to Thailand, Bali, Malaysia etc and have to say Negril's beach is up there with one of the best beaches we have ever visited!

Couples Swept Away (CSA) is situated in the centre of the 7 mile strip and has one of the cleanest and well maintained sections we felt. I mean they have staff dig holes and push in the seaweed from the morning tide every day, that is how clean it is! Also a good location if you wish to go for a walk or to the cliffs as its a short taxi journey. You do get some local vendors selling their wares on the beach, but you will soon notice its the same people every day and once you have said no one (politely) they basically leave you alone the rest of the trip...some great bands played and are worth tipping if you remember to carry cash with you...

The hotel, the staff were amazing I have to say we were absolutely delighted and taken aback by how friendly, professional and just warm the staff were some of the best customer service experiences we have had on a holiday. We received great service in all the restaurants, beach bars and even from the lovely man who collected the glasses on the beach and offered out cold towels! My husband is very sporty and got on really well with the sports co-ordinators and played beach volleyball every day with guests and staff alike.

Food and Drink - what can I say except simply WOW! I am a real foody and have to say that the quality of food and choices available were amazing! We ate at all the restaurants except Feathers and loved each one for different reasons. Also the cocktails - OMG brilliant! They have all the premium brands available for example Grey Goose Vodka, Top Shelf Whiskeys (Jack/Crown Royale) and the best Martini Bar! There are three bars based on the beach (bar huts) which offer great cocktails and drinks all days and it was touches like this that made it a wonderful holiday.

The room - we had a Garden Veranda room as it was the only one available when we booked via Virgin. It was fine, quite basic but clean and fulfilled our needs. I think if I return (which is quite likely) we will probably go for something a bit more superior next time. The mini bar is topped up with your choice of drinks and full size bottles rather than mini bar sizes of wine and sprits - nice touch!

On the downside we were also near the road and this was quite noisy...and also near a staff entrance of sorts so in the mornings it was noisy when they were collecting their supplies etc.

Best Bits:
-Food and Drink (Loved Patois, Lemon Grass and the Beach Restaurant/Café)
-The beach - a slice of paradise- we had a serious case of sand gravity which meant we spent 7 days simply enjoying the amazing beach
-Cocktails - especially the Martini Bar in the evening
-Some great entertainment (brilliant bands/bar tenders/sports coordinators)
-Floaties - you can use the sun loungers as floaties
-Friendly staff - YEAH MAN!
-Beach BBQ yup more food!

Tips:
-Book into Feathers/Lemongrass as soon as you arrive once you have used up your first booking you can then re-book again
-Book your catamaran trip as soon as you arrive with concierge
-Make sure you visit the Martini Bar
-Try the French Toast in Patois - to die for!
-Be aware that a lot of the water sports involve paying more...!

Though this is the bigger hotel I have to say we found the resort to be just the right size and we still received really personal service, got to know some of the staff well and had as good as a break as we have had in some boutique style hotels. There were a lot of American holiday makers as its so close to the US and lots of people who have been there time and time again but this was no bad thing but did sometimes make you feel you were in Miami rather than Jamaica....however have to say guests were really friendly and polite! We did find that there were a few big groups staying at the resort especially leading up to the weekend and this was a little noisy and distracting but not enough to take away from the overall experience. The beach was never crowded and there were always plenty of sun loungers and we never had to wait for a table in any of the restaurants etc...

I would have to say it is perfect if you are looking for a week or 10 days in the sun, relaxing, drinking cocktails, eating tasty food and siting on a white sandy beach swimming in the azure blue seas with bath warm water...!

Room Tip: Make sure its not facing the road as this can get quite noisy - we were in 4308 and thought it was a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Worlds_myOysterUK
Write a ReviewReviews (5,507)

Reviewed July 15, 2014

If I could have given this trip a 3.5 rating I would have done so as that is the rating that best describes the experience we had this time around at CSA.

We were at CSA for 4 nights, July 3-7. It was my 10th stay at this resort since 1989 and I have been a die hard CSA fan since my first stay.

Positives:
We were in a remodeled Garden Verandah Suite and the room was very nice! It has been awhile since I was in this category and I was very pleasantly surprised at the experience. Room was fresh, new bathroom a substantive improvement and our mattress was new and comfy. Great AC and TV as well.

Beach is still outstanding and one of the best anywhere.

Some stand out employees who made our stay a pleasure: Netroy (concierge); Melissa (front desk); Beckaroo and Cean (Patios); Tracey-Anne (Feathers)

Sports complex cannot be beat. There was a great guest instructor for yoga and pilates. Pool on this side was in great shape and there seemed to be some new cushions/furniture as well which looked really nice!

Food and service were very good at Feathers and Patios Patio. Lemongrass was also good. SeaGrapes was not as enjoyable as on previous trips. We avoided The Palms this trip (more on that below).

Disappointments:
Ground were overgrown this time around, rather than the lush and tidy grounds I have always loved about CSA.

Beach Towels were a real problem. They were never available during the hours scheduled, and it was normally 10am before they even arrived. Then they were gone again by 2 or 3, if they lasted that long. This is a beach resort and guests should not have to constantly check in to see if there are clean towels available. The staff at the water sports hut were not helpful and just said that there were issues with laundry not being delivered.

No towels were available in the gym either for those of us who work out in the mornings.

Pool at swim up bar is in need of a renovation. It is stained in the interior and there are chipped and broken tiles. It needed a redo two years ago (our last stay) and I was disappointed that it was not yet done. I understand that this is on the schedule and look forward to seeing this completed when we return.

It took four calls to get our mini bar stocked and it was finally done as we were headed to dinner on day 2.

50% of staff was excellent; 30% just showed up and did their jobs; 20% had an attitude. The attitude was prevalent at The Palms and we ended up avoiding it most of the time. We have not had this experience in the past.

There was a large group in house with a few guests that were drunk and loud every time we saw (and heard) them. We did our best to avoid them but they did run us out of the martini bar one evening; then we could still hear them from Lemongrass. IMO, staff should have intervened as they were obnoxious.

Public areas in general were not as clean and well maintained as I am used to at Couples resorts and attention to detail was lacking. There were broken toilet paper holders in ladie's room at The Palms, which were not fixed while we were there. Half dead flowers greeted us in the lobby on arrival Thursday and were still there on Monday morning when we left. Small details that should have been attended to were simply overlooked this time around.

We did go off resort twice. Once for dinner at Ivan's, always a pleasure. And once to Jackie's on the Reef for a private, cliff side massage. Highly recommended!

17  Thank caviargal
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We had a great stay at CSA from 7/4 to 7/10! In quick summary, this place was almost perfect for us. We enjoyed the laid back vibe and unpretentious nature of the resort. We wanted an all-inclusive with a great beach, and the large sports complex and included watersports sold it for us because we like to stay active.

Ok, now for the details...

BEACH - The beautiful 7-mile beach location is definitely the highlight of the resort! The water is crystal clear, and the sand is a soft white powder. The huts are nice if you can claim one early enough, but if not, there are plenty of palms trees around for shade. Best time on the beach is early morning – not too many people or vendors out yet and the water was a lake-like calm. The vendors can spot newbies and may seem a bit pushy the first day, but once you've said "no thank you", they're hardly a factor and add some character to the experience. We enjoyed the musicians stopping by to play reggae tunes and were happy to tip them. The sunset over the water is a daily event in itself so don't miss it; grab a chair around 6:30 PM and enjoy!

FITNESS - If you like to stay active with fitness during your vacation, this is your resort! The beach is very enjoyable for a morning run, and there are a good number of runners out around 6:45 AM or so. Lots of included watersports, so definitely check those out - the earlier in the day, the better while the water is calm. We used paddleboards almost every morning to go out and the see the starfish just beyond the buoys – so cool! Right across the street, the sports complex is great! The gym is large and has surprisingly new cardio and strength equipment, along with plenty of free weights. The tennis courts all seemed to be in good shape, mostly hard with a few nice clay courts. The large lap pool was also a nice addition.

FOOD – We found the food to be impressive for an all-inclusive. We stuck to Patois and The Palms at night and never had a bad meal. Patios always had a nice soup of the day, and The Palms had a vast dinner buffet spread. Seagrapes was wonderful for lunch or a snack– plenty of healthy, light dishes that were delicious! The sweet potato chips and daily juice special there is a must. We ordered room service for an early breakfast of coffee, fruit, and pastries (banana bread is the best) and would stop by The Palms' omelet station for a mid-morning snack.

ROOM – We splurged a bit on a Premiere Beachfront Room due to other types being sold out when we booked. There looked to be two buildings with PB rooms. Ours had a number of trees in front of it blocking the view of the water a bit more than the other building, but we still thoroughly enjoyed the large balcony, listening to the waves while in our room, and being just a couple steps away from our beach chairs. The rooms were simple with everything you need and nothing you don't. If your room is on the Main Beach, note on Friday nights for the Beach Party you might as well stay at the party until the end (11:30 PM or so), because it's incredibly loud.

MISC
- Bring tumblers to carry ice water.
- Ladies, bring hair conditioner if you need it (none in the room) or buy some at the Dis and Dat resort shop ($5-$9 depending on brand).
- Catamaran is a must; it's so nice to have this excursion at no extra cost.
- We did the Club Mobay arrival and departure service and were really glad we did; the customs line looked very long when we arrived at MBJ.

CONS – At an all-inclusive, you frequently interact with the staff, and there are two extremes of attitude at this resort – wonderful and not so much. Many of them were very friendly and welcoming; positive notables include the entertainment staff, the Main Beach wait staff, the guardsmen to cross the street, Ralstand (sp?) the bellhop, Jason at Patois, and Elliott and one of the chefs (didn't catch a name) at Seagrapes. However, the other half we encountered (mostly at the restaurants) were sullen and acted as if we were constantly inconveniencing them; it was noticeable enough that I can't give the resort an otherwise 5-star review. The only other slight negatives were logistical snafus that left us scratching our head a bit – no direction after check in, guide book in the room is out-of-date on events/excursions, no check out info packet the day before we left, etc., but these were easy enough to overcome.

Overall, we did have a very nice stay and will probably return some day for the fantastic beach and great sports complex!

Room Tip: Premiere Beachfront and Beachfront rooms put you just steps away from your beach chairs - definitely...
8  Thank Kdmayer
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We visited about a year ago for our wedding/honeymoon. We used the resort to plan everything and it was awesome. No stress at all. They did a wonderful job. We loved that it was adults/couples only. We had a room right on the beach with a beautiful view to have breakfast every morning on the patio. The water was gorgeous. Can't wait to plan another trip here for an anniversary!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LNLINMD
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We were very impressed with the property and location, the bay is secluded and the beach was nicely groomed. The security on either side of the property line was a nice addition and made us feel very secure while on the beach. The waves were pretty tame and we were able to take advantage of the various water sports activities the resort offered (including the free snorkelling tour). The rooms were nice save for the rundown bathrooms but that was expected from reading previous reviews. The service was prompt and the food was better then expected. The adults & couples only resort policy created a very romantic relaxing atmosphere we felt comfortable in. We would definitely go back and recommend this resort.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank BryantStJules
Reviewed July 11, 2014

I wrote the below to the GM at CSA but haven't gotten a response.

My name is Diana Vona Rudolph my husband Charles and I checked into CSA on Monday, June 23, 2014 for 5 nights with my daughter and her husband Michele & Anthony Magazzu transferring to CTI for 9 nights on Saturday, June 28th.

Now that my vacation is over I feel that I must write to you.

I encountered a very disturbing problem upon check-in which I feel needs to be addressed. We arrived around 12:00 PM. We told the first girl at the check-in desk that we were Mother & Daughter. We paid for the Beachfront Verandah Suite and requested 2nd or 3rd floor. I have Asthma and the higher floors are better for me with the breathing problems that I have also I can't be around cats. Our rooms were not ready and we were told to go eat lunch. We returned from lunch and the rooms were still not ready. We went into the lobby to wait. A 1/2 hour later my daughter's room was ready (she went to a first floor), mine was not. Another 1/2 hour went by and still no room. Checked again and was told that check-in was not until 3:00 PM, I asked why my daughter's room was ready but not mine, the girl said that didn't know we were together I told her we had told the first girl and she was there when we mentioned this. I started going into a breathing attack after being in the hot & humid lobby for all this time. I went back in after 3:00 PM to again check on my room and was told that the maid had just gone in to clean the room and it would be another hour. At this point I was in complete distress and another women at the end of the counter came over and offered her fan to me. I asked what room I was going into and on the map she showed a room in block either 41 or 42 on the first floor. I told her I wanted to be either in room block 44 or 45 on the 2nd or 3rd floor (my daughter was in block 44). She very sarcastically said to me that "she was giving me the room block that I requested" - NO I didn't request this room block I PAID to be in this category. She embarrassed me as there were other guests waiting to go to the counter and insinuated that I was looking for something that I did not pay for. I have been coming to Couples since 2000, my daughter was married (second time) at COR and I was married (second time) at COR in 2001. This trip made 14 times and I have never asked or expected anything that I did not pay for! After much back & forth with her horrible attitude she finally gave me room block 45 in room 4221 that was available the whole time. which was fine as my daughter was right across the why from me. I was in such a breathing melt-down that another guest offered to carry me to my room. That night we couldn't go out my husband got sandwiches and we eat in our room. This girl was not only rude but I felt she was making a fool of me and her attitude was not with the Couples policy. We were speaking with Lee Issa on the beach later in the week and I never mentioned it as I didn't want to bring this problem that I encounted to him. I also did not take advantage of the free Couples message as I could not walk that far, my husband went on his own, I was ok with that. The rest of the time at CSA was good the other employees were very nice, restaurants are great. On the comment card I gave the front desk a fair rating thinking if I had put poor and wrote about what happened they would have thrown it out as the comment cards are not put in a locked boxed they were laying on the counter. This trip made the 3rd time that we did the split.

In closing my thoughts are that you can't leave people whether it be me or any one else waiting in the hot humid lobby for 3+ hours. I worked in a hotel and I know you get word upon check-in at the Couples desk in the airport that the guests are on their way, if rooms are not ready maybe housekeeping needs to be addressed. Also the front desk staff needs to be better trained to understand the needs of the guests.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
21  Thank Dianarv
Abraham I, Manager at Couples Swept Away, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Dear Dianarv,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. I appreciate your critiques as it is only by our valued clients feedback that we are able to improve on the product and services we deliver. In the same instance, we want to apologise for any shortcomings which may have made the check in process less than expected and I am very much concerned by the staff at the Front Office who appeared to be rude as there is certainly no excuse for rude or surly attitude prevailing from any of our employees. We want to assure you that this particular incident is not taken lightly and as such the Team Member will be called in to the Human Resources Office for counselling as we would not want this incident to reoccur.

I have also copied my Executive Housekeeper as it relates to getting rooms for arrival ready for check in time for her immediate attention and improvement.

We are pleased to note that despite this negative encounter at check in, you had a good time and other employees were nice during the rest of your stay. Once again, thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to write to us and for your continued support to Couples Resorts.

We hope that this will not deter you from returning to Couples Resorts in the not too distant future.

Warm regards,

Karen Lanigan

Reviewed July 11, 2014

My husband and I chose Couples Swept Away for the beautiful beach. We were a bit apprehensive about what to expect since we’d read some negative reviews about the rooms and service. A couple days into the trip we realized—this is an AMAZING vacation. We travel quite a lot and we were pleasantly surprised by how much we enjoyed CSA. One week flew by and I could have easily stayed another.

It’s true the rooms aren’t glamorous, but they aren’t dumpy either—they’re spacious and have a tropical feel. We did the pre-check in online and when we arrived our room was stocked with the drinks we chose. We had a Garden room right near Patois restaurant and it was close to the road—you could definitely hear the cars but mostly during the day--my husband who is a light sleeper wasn’t bothered at night.

As for the service, we thought it was great—it’s Jamaica, so they have a more laid back approach but everyone we encountered was friendly and helpful. In fact, seeing the Jamaican culture was one of my favorite parts of the trips. Even the vendors who walk the beach are more friendly than pushy, and interesting to talk to.

I really can’t say enough about the main attraction, which is the incredible beach. I’m usually a pool person but the ocean was so clear and calm it felt like a swimming pool. We would arrive to the beach about 9am and never had a problem finding chairs in the shade of a palm tree.

The food and drinks at CSA were another happy surprise—I’m vegetarian and my husband is not, and we both had plenty to eat and enjoyed all of our meals. We had no trouble getting dinner reservations. Lemongrass and Patois were delicious; Feathers is good too, although the ambiance there is a bit strange. The Palms buffet was great for breakfast and lunch, and of course Seagrapes is a can’t-miss for lunch. Basically, you can’t go wrong no matter where you eat!

TA never lets me post a link to my photos, but if you search going places with camille you will find them. Here are a few of the tips we read in advance and found helpful, as well as a few of our own:

-DO bring bug repellent, especially for the evenings
-If you want a decent hair dryer bring your own
-Don’t miss the steel drums show--it's so, so good!
-Get the fish tacos at Seagrapes when they have them
-Check out the Martini Bar next to Lemongrass—Terrello is the great bartender there
-Perhaps it’s the time of year, but the humidity was out of this world—I found a curling iron to be pointless
-If you plan on working out or playing tennis (the sports center and courts are GREAT), bring plenty of gym clothes—because of the humidity, you won’t want to re-wear anything
-Bring plenty of bathing suits; it’s so humid that they basically never dry out

16  Thank Camille P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!