“CSA we will be back” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Madison, Wisconsin
“CSA we will be back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

We just returned from a one week stay at CSA. Six hours into our stay we decided that we will be making a trip back to CSA. We enjoyed the food, the grounds, the staff the included activities and the beach.

The beach, we took long morning walks and always encountered a few locals out strolling and attempting to sell their goods, a simple no money and we kept walking uninterrupted. When leaving the grounds the security staff was concerned enough to always take down our name and room number, thanks for caring. The waters were so calm we could see the occasional sting ray or school of fish near the shore. On the sand we could always see ghost crabs running around. During our afternoon walks on the beach we usually went the opposite direction toward town. There were far more shops and locals attempting to sell their goods, again a simple no money and we were on our way.

The food was always good, occasionally to spicy for my wife, but we thoroughly enjoyed the fine dining at Feathers and Lemon Grass. The fish tacos at Sea Grapes were great for lunch. Most of our pictures were of the food and sending them to our kids at home.

The biggest complaint was my choice of having a deep tissue massage and having a stiff back the rest of the trip. Having never had a massage I should have gone with Swedish massage and not the bone crunching deep tissue massage.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Great House Veranda Suites, room 5209 and great view of the beach and pool area, we...
9 Thank tcoulthart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,395)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
St. Louis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

My husband and I returned to couples swept away for the third time, though this may be our last. Unfortunately, the service was not good this trip. While there are some great staff (security guards, some restaurant staff, dive staff) many staff could not be bothered, including managers. The concierge was unhelpful (leading us to miss one excursion we wanted to do) and mildly condescending when I asked questions about other excursions. One staffer yelled "you're messing up the path!" when I accidentally stepped in sand she has just raked. She was clearly irritated and looking to embarrass me. When I called the front desk because there was loud music I could hear from my room one night, I was told "there is no activity on this side of the resort"... It clearly was a party on the other side of resort--just across a narrow road. He did not offer to look into it etc. I just wanted to know when it might end, as it was so loud I could not sleep. We loved CSA and we are sad to have had a less positive experience this time. The setting is beautiful but I think we will move on.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank willtravel2017
Abraham I, Owner at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear Smithstravel,

Thank you for coming back to Couples Swept Away for a 3rd time. It was displeasing to learn about your negative experience after becoming loyal repeat guests. I have brought this to management’s attention and sent you a private message to discuss your stay further. The Couples family apologizes for these unfortunate circumstances.

Abraham Issa
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

OK, to be honest Jamaica, never made it to my places-I-must-absolutely-see-in-my-lifetime list. Why you ask. Well, firstly and above all the tactless reasons I could find it doesn't belong to Europe and hence must certainly be a poor country with potholed roads and asbestos roofed homes. Forget poverty, it's not even significant enough to be mentioned in newspapers (except during the occasional cricket matches of course). So, how could I wear that smug look on my face and use every opportunity to brag about my trip to those hapless victims whose oversight would be to keep me in their sights. Accuse me of countrism: favoring countries based on their geographic location. Lay down my punishment- sentence me to Jamaica for a lifetime. I will happily take it. For, although the name of the country may have made me cringe like the very odious sounding word pulchritudinous, once I probed both quite reluctantly, under much duress from the Mister I discovered something breathtakingly beautiful.
Here's why:
-I didn't actually stay in all of Jamaica but this little beach town in the west called Negril where things move at a reggae pace.
-I didn't actually stay in all of Negril, but this little all-inclusive resort called Couples Swept Away where you are treated to unlimited food and drinks.
-I didn't actually stay in all of the resort, but this little charming cottage skirting the star attraction- the seven mile long beach which is really seven miles of pristine white sand or seven miles of Daniel Craigesque beach bodies stretching and grunting for volleyball (whichever suits your fancy).

All in all it was a four day vacation at the resort, a four day vacation of feeling
The tropical Sun- it's hot, hot, hot. My body's been steamed, smoked, tanned, toasted, seared and fried.
The saltiness of the Caribbean sea- Believe me it's sharp enough to sting your insides.
The softness of the sand: Every walk is a pedicure session at work with the sand caressing and scrubbing up your skin to a sheen.
The cordiality of the Jamaicans, well at least the resort staff- they're never in a hurry. They'll answer every question no matter how randomly absurd they may seem. For example, while on the bus from the airport to the resort, a very inquisitive North Carolina native wanted to know where he could find prisons in Jamaica and what uniforms children wore to school. The good-natured driver humored him, even when I hoped curiosity would kill the cat.

Bon Appétit
Now it wasn't just the sun, sand, sea and strolls with the Mister that made the trip magical. There was food too. Lots of it (did I mention it was unlimited). You could stuff yourself up real good, and if you were like me find food spilling out of your mouth because there wasn't enough storage space.

Here's a list of the food places and the veggie delights you can devour (sorry to disappoint meat eaters, I'm vegetarian).

The Seagrape cafe: It's right on the beach under the shade of coconut trees. If you head there with a dizzying appetite especially after a long plane ride; the kind that makes you imagine tables, plates and people to be food, know that you're in the right place. Chef Peterina will be your life saver, by shoving a mean, both your palms-sized, cheese dressed plantain burger down your throat. Eat it with the ketchup, cheese, cucumber and the special Jamaican jerk sauce and you'll find your tongue jerking fitfully from the many flavors exploding in your mouth.
Once you recover and hanker for more food (but less overwhelming than the burger) try the sweet potato chips. The chips could taste old or fresh with oil dripping into your hands depending on the time of the day you get them. But the chips aren't the highlight. It's the creamy pumpkin dip that looks like hummus but tastes mouthwateringly good.
Oh and when all that food makes you thirsty and the server offers you the most organic and vitamin infused coconut water, don't get carried away. For one, it isn't sweet at all, as you'd expect. Strangely, at times, it could even taste carbonated as if sprite was mixed with it, as the Mister intuitively pointed out.

The Palms: It was our go-to place for breakfast, especially since the Mister was fond of starting the day very healthy. Personally, I am not such a fan of continental fare- fruits, cereals and bread- served cold. Ewwww!!! Maybe because at heart I am a South Indian and love my food piping hot (sometimes I even microwave my salad). But surely, that wasn't the only reason I despised breakfast. The bread never once tasted fresh. When you folded it, it always snapped and when it was in your mouth you couldn't help but think that you were eating socks.
The Palms' saving grace was dinner and I had the good fortune to stop by just once for dinner. The buffet (there's no à la carte) didn't have many options for vegetarians (the chef at the live pasta station refused to make meat free pasta). But it did feature couscous salad and that's all I ever wanted. I must have eaten mountain heaps of the salad, not just because it was moreish, but also because every spoonful triggered a synesthetic response, transporting me to a very fond time period in my life.

Patois [Patwah] Patio: Again, the menu here was just dull and lazy, featuring handouts for vegetarians. The food portions were embarrassingly tiny and took forever to be served. Even the alcohol tasted like cough syrup.

Lemongrass: This is a dressy place with alfresco dining, Olympian flaming torches, and Chinese lanterns hovering in the sky. It's a Thai restaurant by the way and in case the ambiance does nothing to resonate that the food certainly will. The food is nourishing and ample served in deeper- than- the- Mariana Trench styled bowls. Vegetarians can choose to eat from delectable spring rolls, steamed rolls, sprout salad served with a very exotic ginger plum sauce, Pad Thai noodles that slips down to your stomach even without chewing because it's so oily to the juicy wholesomeness of the Thai Red/ Yellow and green curry.
Of course by the end of the night, I felt like a stuffed turkey, a turkey stuffed with Thai food, and moist vanilla cake- that the Mister especially ordered for my birthday.

Feathers: A queer name for a restaurant, especially because you won't find feathers here neither in the menu nor in the décor. But believe me, there's nothing queer about the food. In fact, it's so delicious that you could find yourself admitting with much surprise that for once you have tasted something better than mama's food. Or if you're like me you would imagine your mother putting her love into every dish in the kitchen. This by no means is an exaggeration. Be sure to make reservations at the restaurant as soon as you arrive at the resort and do dress up like the Gods, because you just don't order food at Feathers, you order ambrosia.
Right, so my indulgence at Feathers began with the pumpkin and sweet potato soup. Its taste was so pure, so divine that I could feel a halo glowing behind my head. Suffice to say I was heady and needed something to ground me to reality. That's why I choose to order bread (all the bread I had had thus far had been stale and awful). But Feathers surprised me yet again. What I was served wasn't ordinary bread but butter soft rolls decked with pumpkin seeds. Just when I began to reel the waiter brought my entrée- rice and stir fried vegetables. It sounded plebeian and I took it quite happily thinking this was surely to be my dose of reality. Yet, again I was mistaken. The rice was served as a dollop, a dollop cooked with butter and coconut milk. It was rich. It was grand. It was too much. I didn't need to eat the vegetables (they were equally rich drenched in coconut milk and oil) but I did. Somehow, I couldn't stop. I ordered dessert too- coconut crème brulee with caramelized pear and banana rum pudding- I ate the decadent fare like a glutton. So did the Mister. By the time we finished, we were both sinners, sinners punished with food coma.

The Cabana grill: There's nothing much I can say because this place chiefly serves a carnivorous fare. I only stopped by here with much reluctance because the Mister wanted to tear some chicken flesh off its bone.

Happy hour
You'd realize by now that I am not much of a drinker. Forget alcohol, I don't prefer liquids in general. Even as mercury soars to over 50 C, you wouldn't find me cooling off with water or soda. It's just the way I am. But on this trip, when the Mister insisted I make use of the free beverage service (well technically it was an all-inclusive resort so we had paid for it earlier), I saw sense in doing so.
I never really had any alcohol, but my happy hour was spent on slurping smoothies- especially the ones concocted by Marlene at the sports complex. They were refreshing glassfuls of crushed fruit blended with milk, cinnamon and honey.

Fun in the Sun
How could a trip to the Caribbean be complete without a trip to the Sea? Well, we did venture out into the Sea under the Sun but not for as long as I would have liked. The Mister's hydrophobic (yet he picked a beach destination, go figure) and I nearly drowned when I tried to find my feet in ten feet deep water, so water activities were ruled out, except for a few that didn't require swimming.

Hobbie Cat: Well all it is is a sailboat. But before you get on it, be warned to stand through (in the blazing heat) a physics lecture about the direction of the wind, how the sail moves, how the ropes are worked and so on and so forth from an overly eager instructor. And if you think after listening most patiently to the lecture, he'll let you drift away into the beryl colored Caribbean waters that you paid your month's salary to see you'd be mistaken.
“Mon yah haff to wait fah di wind,” he'll tell you no matter how annoyed or desperate you might be.

Glass Bottom Tour: So its USP is viewing the spectacular coral reefs in a boat without the risk of losing your life because of snorkeling. It's a no brainer that those joining you on the tour will be really old, weary, unadventurous souls, who value their safety above everything else. And if you're one of them embrace the truth, don't fight it. I tried fighting it, by bringing my kickass Canon 550 D along, clicking away furiously with all my youthful energy and smirking at the oldies to prove that I didn't fit in with them. By the end of the trip, I had shot about 200 shoddy pictures because the glass bottom wasn't clean and made things appear murky, because the boat was always moving, because the glass photobombed every single shot. Anyway, if you're sensible you'll blend in with the oldies and lend your eyes and ears to the captain who provides a very amusing commentary of the marine life.

Catamaran cruise: The most fun thing to do hands down. Every moment here is priceless. Why? Because you get to see Rasta Ralphie regaling you with his guitar and life lessons, the Rick's café, a Cinderella castle out of the blue, natives jumping off 30 feet high cliffs into the water so casually as if it was a walk in the park, forbidding caves that appear in every fantasy novel and that stunned expression on your spouse's face when the hostess gives him a lap dance.

So after reading this post, if you're thinking of a Jamaican holiday or an unforgettable romantic getaway check out the deals from https://www.facebook.com/TravelTomUSA

14 Thank HCPSR
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

This is the first time we stayed in an expensive all-inclusive. It did not disappoint.

We were travelling around Jamaica for 2 weeks, and spent our last 6 nights in CSA as a "treat", after staying in cheaper accommodation while travelling.

The resort was beautiful, our room was excellent, and the food was delicious. The activities on offer were more than we had time for in 6 days.

We enjoyed our stay overall, and would consider coming back. Here are some points that stood out for us on our stay:
-America in Jamaica. This resort was completely full of Americans. We only met 1 other couple who weren't American the entire time. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I thought it was worth mentioning. You might as well be staying in a beautiful beach resort in America at times, because some of the staff have started picking up American sounding twangs in their accents from working here. While in the resort, it felt like we were visiting the US rather than Jamaica. It is odd to go abroad, and feel like you are in the wrong place. Elsewhere in Jamaica we did not even nearly encounter such a high concentration of a single nationality.
-Another mention for the food. The food was so good, even the fast-food options at the grill. The quality of every meal was the absolute finest. Really a great place if you like to eat.
-The staff were all very friendly, but due to the American visitor influence I imagine, also very keen to sell us weed. We were offered weed by CSA staff in the watersports activity hut, and also by bar staff in the nightclub. This seemed quite irresponsible, as we saw hotel security round in on someone smoking weed. Mixed mesages from staff on whether it's OK or not. I expect it outside the resort, but it seems unprofessional for the hotel employees to offer it within.
-Access to the rest of 7 mile beach is fantastic. Just walk along the beach southwards from the resort, and you are instantly transported out of the resort, and onto a beach with hundreds of local businesses, shops, bars, restaurants. Excellent for a change of scenery from the inside of the resort.
-The health bar was disappointing. I am lactose intolerant, and picked a dairy free smoothie. As I watched the barman, he put both cows milk and yoghurt into the smoothie, neither of which were mentioned as ingredients on the menu. The smoothie I chose specifically stated soy milk and no yoghurt. Most of the smoothies on the menu contained milk and yogurt, but others were daily free. I gave it back to him, and explained I wanted the smoothie as listed on the menu, and that I was lactose intolerant. I asked him to make it as stated on the menu. He just didn't understand, and this time he still put in cows milk, but not the yoghurt. I don't think he understood that difference between cow milk and soy milk, which is concerning. Thank god I watched him make the smoothies, or I might not have known and been left ill!
-Book the Catamaran cruise straight away. We were only there for 6 nights, and didn't book it on the night we arrived. The next morning, it was fully booked for our whole stay! I managed to eventually convince hotel staff to give me a ticket anyway, and they obliged, meaning the boat was officially "over capacity" by 2.

We would come back for sure. Despite some negative points above, everything was fantastic, and the negatives were minor overall.

2 Thank AdamSku
Cartersville, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

We were at Couples Swept Away June 14-21, 2014. We dove for 5 days in a row, total of 10 dives. We saw turtles, eels, crabs, rays etc. did some Lion fish hunting. When you take advantage of the amenities, Couples is a great value. Also took the catamaran excursion by Ricks Cafe (we did not stop there) and then to swim the caves. Very busy fun trip.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jimcatdivers
Madison, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

OK, we did our homework, studying for hours and hours what to take/not take, what to do, eat, etc and how to treat the staff. I had sent messages upon booking that this would be our 30th wedding anniversary. Check in was painless, we smiled at everybody, spoke to them, by name if we knew it and brought school supplies, LOTS of them, for area children. Didn't take long to notice that we weren't getting the "welcome" we had expected. Our room was OK, but I've stayed at Hilton's that were nicer. We left gifts for our housekeeper. We stayed 5 nights and did not receive any cleaning service one day. It was too late and we were too tired to call for someone to come clean. Restaurants were nice and clean, staff was friendly. But I just couldn't get over how distant the staff was. I finally had had too much rum cream on the 2nd night and asked a bar tender what was up. She just said that they were all tired from the holidays (this was early January) and had been working long hours. I spent more time after that talking to employees. The unemployment rate in Jamaica is extremely high, so if they do anything wrong they're fired and it pretty much sounds like they're bullied about it. So sad. One of the employees came up to me on the beach and asked me if I needed anything and if we were having a good time. He also explained that they were very poorly paid and relied on tips to feed their families. I told him that the website and other reviewers say that if they're caught accepting a tip they'll be fired and no one would want that. He said most people just slip it to them in a handshake or under a table. It just made the whole experience awkward. Our room was never decorated nicely for our anniversary, we made reservation and came fully prepared for a night dive that they "didn't have the staff for" so a night wasted with no dinner reservations. The vendors on the beach are beyond annoying. We agreed on the flight home that on our next beach vacation we were just going to drive to Destin and get a quiet condo.

Room Tip: Beach front veranda
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Cassandra H
Abraham I, Owner at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Cassandra H,

Congratulations on your 30th anniversary and thank you for staying at Couples Swept Away. It is bad news to hear you were disappointed with your experience at this resort. We apologize for any issues that may have occurred during your stay.

A follow-up was completed on your stay and records showed that you did receive standard housekeeping service daily. To answer your concerns about staff compensation, all employees receive weekly gratuity as opposed to physical tips, multiple benefits are associated with all contracts, and both pension fund and profit share schemes are in place.

Couples Resorts further extends it’s apologies for the cancelled night dive as well as not knowing you wanted celebratory decorations in your room. Please private message me here on Trip Advisor if you happen to reconsider and wish to try one of our other hotels.

Abraham Issa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

We booked this vacation based on what we read on Tripadvisor. I have to say that we were pleasantly surprised. The entrance to the resort is not grand by any means. The resort itself was tucked away and although was on a stretch of beach that was full of resorts and hotels, it did not feel this way. The grounds were very clean and neat and our room was fantastic. We stayed in a Atrium Suite, which had a garden view and hammock with sitting area outside. The beds were comfortable and everything was very clean. The beach and water was exactly what we expected from the Caribbean. Food was excellent. The drinks at the resort were good but could be better. The alcohol was not top shelf although they used their local rum. I recommend that you stick to rum based drinks. These were the best. We were also pleasantly surprised at the amount of activities that were included. They had a catamaran cruise, snorkeling and non-motorized water sports included in out stay. If you like to dance, like we do, their DJ was amazing. Live music could be found every night and the quality of the performers was excellent. We had a great vacation and will be visiting again for our 10th anniversary.

Room Tip: Our room was a garden view and very close to the beach but all the rooms were close to the beach. Th...
6 Thank Anaily R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
#9 of 84 in Negril
#16 of 84 in Negril
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,172 reviews
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!