“A true all inclusive that has something for everyone.”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #13 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

We only had one problem with our stay. we wanted to extend our stay. And they wouldnt give us the same rate. We paid $360 & they wanted $600 for each additional night!!! So we left.

The name says it all. This place will sweep you off of your feet Mon! We are new to the all inclusive but avid travelers. This place isn't our style but we came for a wedding. So glad it was here because they have it all. I'd give the food a B but were foodies. Everything els was wonderful. Lots of activities day and night.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Mketailgate
Write a ReviewReviews (5,347)

Reviewed May 15, 2014

I did a lot of research before booking this trip. After scouring the internet for a few weeks, I kept coming back to CSA. It seemed to have the most consistent positive reviews for an AI resort in my budget. After finally deciding on CSA I booked an Atrium Suite because I liked the open-air caribbean feel they seemed to have. They also feature a large balcony with a hammock which looked too inviting to pass up.

When my girlfriend and I arrived we were greeted in the lobby with a cold glass of champagne and we checked in which went very smoothly. We started our walk to the room and when we saw the beach for the first time we were both blown away. We have both been to the caribbean several times before, but this beach was top notch. The water was as calm and clear as a swimming pool and the sand was powdery white. We quickly went up to our room and although nice, we were slightly taken back since we were used to flashy marble and other high end finishings like the previous resorts we have stayed at. We both kind of shrugged it off as we barely spend any time in the room anyway. We continued to investigate the room and while doing that our luggage had arrvived so we unpacked a few things and changed for the beach. Again, once we got down to the beach we knew we had made the right choice in CSA. It was breathtaking.

As for the food, CSA had a great selection of dining options. Most AI resorts have a buffet option as well as several sit down restaurants, CSA being no exception. What separated CSA from the others is the quality. Most AI resorts we have stayed at were hit or miss regarding the food. Some things you order are good, and others are bland and underwhelming. I felt that CSA was consistently good and certain things I'd consider excellent. We were actually given a tip by a repeat guest at CSA to try the soups. One afternoon we gave it a shot and we were glad we did. They were phenomenal.

Now down to the beach. This is the main reason why I highly recommend this resort. I am a beach person and I could not have asked for a better beach. My only complaint with the beach is that you do get hassled by locals trying to sell anything and everything. A simple no usually does the trick but it does get a little annoying for some people after a while. Anyway, not only is the beach spectacular, but the amount of included water sports and activities at CSA is truely impressive. When they say all inclusive they really mean it. Each day we would schedule a different activity and the staff really did a great job making each one a fun experience. My two favorite activities were snorkeling (they take you to one of the several reefs just offshore) and the cataraman cruise which I'm sure you'll read about in almost every review on here.

To sum up my stay, I would say that if you are a beach person who loves taking part in water activities, CSA is the place for you. If you are a pool person who needs a flashy room and high end finishings then maybe it is not the right resort for you. Although nice, the pool area is very small and basic, but with a beach like that it is something that I got over very quickly. This resort has a certain charm that goes along with the Jamaican vibe. It'll really grow on you and by the end of your stay you start to realize why so many repeat guests call it their home.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jason B
Reviewed May 15, 2014

We just returned from an awesome 7 days at CSA. (May 7-14) I will keep this review shorter then the one I did last year since it would sound pretty much the same!!
As this was our first time ever returning to the same resort, we were a little worried that we may not enjoy ourselves as much this trip since last year it was the best vacation yet, luckily everything was perfect and CSA did not disappoint!! There has been a lot of talk about Club Mobay on all forums and this year we traveled with 2 other couples and we all decided to purchase both arrival and departure for Club Mobay! This was the best purchase we have ever made, they fast track you at arrival and next thing you know, you have a red stripe and rum punch in your grips!! I highly recommend this service and I know we will always get it from here on!

Bus ride to the resort was great and our bus driver was very informative and funny, which made the ride seem to fly by! Check in was quick and easy and our room was ready right away!! Our pre-check in booze was delivered later in the evening which was also great since last year we got it a day later! We requested the same bldg and room at pre-check in and like last trip they will try to accommodate you at your arrival, we got bldg 7 but a different ground floor room which was perfect!
This is where I save time on this review, the food, drink and employees were excellent. I did notice some of the beach bartenders seemed to not be too social, but who am I to judge, we all have bad days at work, and maybe they were having one that day!! Flag service was top notch, tried to get off my but to grab a drink but it was hard since Dian kept bringing us liquid joy!! The beach and ocean are as always picture perfect and as close to heaven being on the top side of the ground I would imagine!! There does seem to be more sales people on the beach then last year, and maybe since the beach is wider, it appears they are farther up the beach as well. They seemed a little more aggressive this year, a no thank you always worked but sometimes they kept a hard push on their sales, security has noticed this also and were kept busy staying close to some of the more aggressive sellers. We actually seen 4 or 5 verbal arguments between security and salespeople during our stay and to be honest if I was to buy any beach goods, these sellers causing a scene would not get my business by just how they talked to the guards!! Beach musicians again this year were incredible and we love having them perform, especially Ice Block, what a true talent!
We really loved our return to CSA and since the prices seem to be going up every year, this could be our last visit for awhile. I hope I'm wrong though because now everything will be compared to CSA and it's really going to be hard to compete with that!! To anyone who wants to experience great food, drink and picture postcard scenery, bring your loved one and go and enjoy!!

Reviewed May 15, 2014

Couples Swept away is a beautiful adult only resort. It is a good size. It's not too far to walk anywhere on the resort and is easy to get around (we did not get lost). The food was amazing. I did notice they change their menus at the restaurants. I didn't like that but many people would. There is a lot of return guests at this resort and the ages vary from 20s to 70s. The rooms are older but still very unique and I really liked them. We stayed in a garden view in the older section which I prefer as they have the cathedral ceilings and feel much larger. The dark wood and white linens give you very much a caribbean feel. We were close to the road which was noisy but it didn't bother us. We had a lot of privacy. The verandahs were very large and we relaxed out there. Next time I might try to get closer to the beach. Rooms were cleaned every day and also had turndown. You choose what you want for minibar and breakfast and put those cards out every night for them to pick up. Otherwise there is no room service besides breakfast. YOu do mark down the time too for them to deliver breakfast and they are right on time. The bathrooms are okay. I did not have a tub but we had a large tiled shower with a bench. I prefer a bath but I lived. I have read others saying that they had water all over the bathroom floor from the shower. We never did. No troubles with that. I would say to you - if you prefer granite and marble and have to have it - you might not like the rooms. I like granite and marble but this was a good change and I enjoyed it.

The beach, sand, water was possibly the best I have seen yet. (Have stayed at : Excellence Playa Mujeres, Catalonia Royal Tulum, valentin Imperial maya, Hard rock cancun, Grand park royal, ocean blue and sand in DR, Grand Palladium in DR, Wyndham Rose in Montego bay - to name some). There are floaties on the chair to relax in the calm, crystal clear water. green flags to put up if you need drinks. Didn't use the pools at all cause we are beach bums. The catamaran boat (booze cruise) was good. Loved the piano bar and had fun at the disco a few nights to wee hours of the morning. We also got a couples massage (had resort credit to use). It was great! They do offer 60 min. for $40 at a spa right next to the resort as well.

cons:
Would like room service 24 hours/day, it might be better if they allowed tipping, would like to be able to order a pizza at the bar, the cabanna grill restaurant (short order) took a LONG time both times we tried it, We called for more drinks at night to be added to our fridge and they said they couldn't do it (This might sound bad and I am not hard to please but if I pay a large amount of money to stay at a 4 1/2 to 5 star resort, I expect service and for them to aim to please the guests). Something like sending 4 more drinks to your room seems minimal. The casino was not good - very small and over 50% of the machines didn't work.

Overall, I would recommend this resort to anyone, anytime. Weather is generally very good there. It is a long ride from the airport. I really appreciated the couples lounge at the airport and the very cold Red strip. ( they also have other beverages).

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travagkll
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I can't say enough about this hotel it's PERFECT worth every penny! From the airport shuttle it was a great time. The employees are awesome, the property is fabulous! We went for ATI, but we never went out, the food was too good & the beds way too comfortable we fell asleeep every dag gone night!!! But it was an awesome vacation! The food was spectacular the drink selection was off the chain something for everyone! Can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2014

My wife and I honeymooned here and this resort was awesome. Plenty of food choices and tons of activities. We tried lots of new things and pretty much never left the resort. I've never met any staff more friendly or helpful than here. This place is focused around couples only. It IS Jamaica so drug dealers will literally walk up to you on the beach and try to sell you their stuff, they went on their way with a polite not interested though and the staff made sure no one was being bothered by anyone

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Daniel W
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Wow! I did a lot of research before selecting this resort and I wasn't concerned with cost since we went to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary.

Accommodations: We booked a Premier Beachfront Suite and we got lucky. Our 1st floor suite was the only one with the larger balcony and an unobstructed view of the ocean. I would guess this is the best unit in the resort since Couples uses this suite (on it's website) as it's example of what a Premier Beachfront Suite is like. It was unbelievable. We are spoiled now and will only return to one of these 1st floor suites on the ocean. We could hear the ocean all night and woke up to breakfast delivered to our porch 5 of the 7 nights we were there.

Activities: We learned to Hobie cat with about 5 minutes of instruction. This is a lot of fun and very freeing to be able to sail away from the resort and experience the ocean without someone else at the helm. We did the standing paddleboards. This was difficult but gave us an interesting vantage point of the underwater life since the water is so clear. We went snorkeling twice. The first time was to "Bermuda" and the guide set the anchor and told us the boundaries of our dive. The second time was to "Mexico" and the guide, Adrian, got in with us and took us on a tour of the reef which included an old anchor, a cannon and tons of underwater creatures that he let us hold, etc. Very cool. One of the highlights of the trip.

Dress code for dining: I took the advice on Couples message boards a little to literally and I packed very light. Shorts, bathing suites, t-shirts, etc. Oops... The Feathers restaurant REQUIRES nice pants and I only brought shorts. I called the concierge and she said "nope sorry, you're out of luck, gotta have pants" but that's another story all together. I think the concierge deals with hostile customers too much and is burned out. But anyway, we brought this up at a different restaurant and happened to be taking to Jonathon Allen, the food and beverages manager and he suggested that we make our reservation at Feathers about dine in the Patois restaurant. Turns out they are side by side and this wasn't an imposition for anyone.

Food: TRY EVERY SOUP! We thoroughly enjoyed everything we ate but the soups are beyond words. So so good. The food at Couples is very good. There ingredients are clearly high quality. Fresh veggies, fruit and fresh fish was the theme of the week. All very good. At Couples you can eat til you pop like on a cruise ship but you won't want to. We enjoyed the format of the menu driven restaurants (multiple courses of small deliciousness that sums up to be a satisfying dinner). Much variety from course to course. We read somewhere that the desserts aren't sweet enough. They must have addressed this because the desserts were plenty sweet.

The staff: I thought about this a lot while there. It seemed to me that the staff is not trained to be happy and friendly when they don't feel up to it like they might at Disney or the Ritz. The service was always adequate but the mood of some of the employees was reliant on the friendliness of the guests. So if we were sour-pusses and keeping a scorecard of who was friendly and who wasn't, some of the employees would have mirrored that grumpy disposition and we would have felt unwelcome. We instead treated every employee like a friend and this was reciprocated almost always. We particularly enjoyed our waiter, Dayne, at the Patois. Very funny, upbeat and smart. He will be managing the place one day. I would recommend that Couples issue "Couples bucks" to every guest when they arrive that they can tip great service with. Then the staff would be rewarded for going above and beyond and management could decide what the "Couples bucks" are redeemable for.

Things we brought that proved priceless: A jambox (speaker that blue-tooths to our phone) that we could listen to on our porch and on the deck, underwater camera, some ones for tips coming and going from the resort, 7 cans of spray-on sunscreen.

All in all, this was one of the most memorable weeks of my life and the best week I have had alone with my wife, ever.

Room Tip: Get a Premiere Beachfront Suite if you can swing it. When you compare it to anyplace else where you...