“Third Time Better”

Ranked #14 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Newport News, VA
“Third Time Better”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Returned to Couples Swept Away with my wife for the third year in a row. Brought along the in-laws this time. Obviously we like the place, even though there were some issues in 2013. Felt that the level of service and amenities were top notch again, other than serivce at Patois. Despite having three servers, everyone denied it was their job to serve cocktails. Beach has been replenished since 2013 and was wonderful as usual. If you decide to leave the resort (which I recommend), ask for Jackson he is a wonderful driver. Will probably go to another resort in 2015, but only to see somewhere new. Cannot recommend Couples Swept Away highly enough. If you come, you will return.

6 Thank Tfitz62

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,440)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Weather was great, food was wonderful, service was very good, beach was awsome, a great place to vacation, get married and just have a wonderful week. First class gym, tennis, track and spa. We think we need to go back one more time!

Room Tip: All rooms are good, the co loser to the beach the better.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HEW103050
Plymouth, Indiana, United States
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Our stay at CSA in Jamaica was the best vacation from start to finish. Everything from the room to the beach and all the bars between was great. The staff was so friendly starting with the front desk check-in and room service. The food and drinks was extremely great, there was no lack of food or alcohol.

Room Tip: The top floors give you more privacy.
Cedarhurst, New York
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Everything about the vacation we loved...minus the transportation. Your trasnported in a old van from the airport for about an hour...terrible
Food was delicious! Everywhere we ate, breakfast we mostly ordered in which they had a convenient fill in card that you left on your door at night. The staff was amazing! They were the happiest, friendliest staff we've come across and they made our trip magical.
The sports staff were my favorite! They were very patient with us teaching and demonstarting how to use the different equipment and they never once showed any sort of frustration no matter how exhausting we made them with our incessant questions!
If we ever repeat a vacation it would be this one. Its expensive but I promise worth every penny!

Room Tip: view or partial view of ocean...otherwise your by plants and tress and while they are pretty they co...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SarahFrances7
Oak Creek, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 4, 2014

My husband and I love this resort and will continue to stay here as long as we travel to Jamaica. We love all the different restaurants and bar's as you would never be hungry or thirsty. The food quality is excellent and there is much seafood to choose from. Our favorite is Sea Grapes which is a vegetarian option that always offers some type of fish. The workers are wonderful and always ready to help, as their is nothing too big for them to handle. The rooms are spacious and simple, always clean. Can't wait until next year!

Room Tip: Ocean Fronts are the best rooms!
3 Thank Kendee3422
Boston
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Warning-this is a long one….This was our first time at CSA .We always travel this week (2/15-2/22) but usually stay in AO/AI in Mexico. From reading TA, we decided to do Club MoBay which was a wise decision on our part since there was 1-2 hour wait in immigration. Transfer was a pleasant 1 ½ hour bus ride along the coast to Negril.

We were greeted with a nice towel and directed to the lobby. We had a full bus and they only had two people working so it took about 15-20 minutes.

Room: B+
We were in a Beachfront Room (2131) in block 38. When we first entered the room, I was disappointed because we were not directly looking at the beach but were rather at an angle with our windows facing a courtyard. This ended up being a blessing since we still had a lot of privacy. I am a light sleeper (and have fantastic hearing) and was worried about the tree frogs and screens. I’ll be honest, the first night was tough (and I had ear plugs) but as I relaxed (and I think some of the tree frogs moved away from our window), it didn’t bother me. My husband loved them and thought they were soothing, so it just goes to show that everyone is different. I was disappointed that they would drown out the sounds of the ocean, but as soon as the sun began to rise, (and I took out my earplugs) you could hear the wonderful sound of the waves crashing on the beach…it was my favorite time of the day… so quiet and peaceful before the resort came to life (and I am NOT a morning person). Yes, at night, you could sometimes hear the cars from the road. This really surprised me. The room was a good size, and yes, the bed was a little hard. Day 3 we finally asked for a mattress topper which helped a little. Linens were basic (not luxury). There were no drawers in this room but adequate space in the closet. The shower only had a curtain so the floor did get wet and the lighting could have been a little better. There were no slippers which would have been nice because it always seemed like our floor was always wet. Mini-Bar was replenished daily (you fill out a form every night) and we loved having coffee, fruit, and pastries delivered to our porch every morning. We LOVED the porch even though the furniture could be more comfortable (the lounger was in bad condition) It was spacious and had a decent view of the ocean but because of the vegetation, we still had privacy. By the end of the week, we loved the shutters and being able to feel like we were outside. After being cooped up all winter, this was so nice. Mosquitoes were bad at night, and unfortunately, I did not know of an option to have bug candles in our room at night, no biggie, we just shut the door and put on spray when we were outside. Our building was in the middle of the property right outside the Sunset Bar. We loved the location (see pictures). We’ve stayed in some very fancy rooms and while this one was not (at times, we did miss things like having a Jacuzzi in the room) we still really liked it. Yes, people refer to it as rustic charm and it was… no other room I’ve stayed in gave me that outdoor feeling like this one (which is why I think I would only like the screened rooms on property). We usually ask for a top floor room but were so glad we got a bottom floor. We asked for the key to the porch which allowed us to go back and forth from the beach which was very much appreciated.

Property: A+
Absolutely gorgeous.., the property is so well maintained with beautiful trees and plants everywhere. We really loved walking around and although we usually used the beach path, we sometimes would take walks around the rooms for the general ambiance of this place.

Beach: A
WOW!! I’ve seen a lot of beautiful beaches in my day and this was one of our favorites. The softness of the white sand, the clarity of the water, and the calmness of the ocean made it such a wonderful experience. I loved how we didn’t have to get up at the crack of dawn to get a chair (unless you wanted a palapa). The floats are brilliant and we dragged them to the ocean regularly. If it wasn’t for the floats, the chairs would be awful but they made them very comfortable. You can move your chair wherever you want and even sit at water’s edge. The vendors do come around but we never had an issue with any of them (and I was worried they’d be a nuisance, just be polite with “no thank you”). We really enjoyed the music although by the end of the week, I was very tired of “Three Little Birds”. Shade is an issue. They do have beautiful palm trees along the edge you can sit under, but at times, it became very busy under these trees and people were right on top of each other. Sunsets were incredible and we made a point of watching them every night (even when there were clouds and it wasn’t as spectacular).

SPA: C
We had resort credits so I treated myself to a deep tissue massage. I was not impressed with the facility at all (and prices were not cheap). The spa is located within the sports complex and I could hear people getting their smoothies and talking at the sports bar. I had to ask my massage therapist to put on music to drown out some of the noise and it helped but not enough. The massage was good (and the staff were really nice) but I wouldn’t spend that amount of money for that facility.

Fitness Facilities: A
The best I have EVER seen at a resort. Between the lap pool, tennis, racquetball, squash, basketball court, aerobics room, and cardio/weight area we were very impressed. Unfortunately, I could not partake in the free tennis I was looking forward to (due to an injury) but we saw many who did and loved it. We did take full advantage of the cardio/weight room and were so excited to see Arc trainers which I have never seen at a resort before. All the machines were Cybex which is the brand used at our local gyms. My DH also used the basketball court and we were going to try to play croquet but a 3 hour rain storm came in that day which made that a little difficult. We usually work out every other day while on vacation (alternating with breakfast). They did offer things later in the day but we only used it in the morning (plus the cardio was open air and did get hot). Once sand gravity hit, it was hard to motivate!

Restaurants: We loved how they were all open air (except Feathers)

Breakfast: A-
We had coffee delivered every morning to our patio (great coffee) and every other day, we would eat at Patois (I do not like buffets). We really liked the daily fruit plate. I loved the banana French toast and my DH usually ordered eggs. We are not big breakfast people but we did enjoy the few we had. The waitresses every morning were very nice and some of our favorites during our visit. We never sat there more than 35-40 minutes total. (Don’t forget to ask for a mimosa)

Lunch:
SeaGrapes: B+
We usually ate here because we loved the Snapper (and the view!) Yes, at times it could be slow but again, I don’t think we were ever there more than 30-35 minutes. (This seemed to be the most disorganized place but hey, you are literally right on the beach as you eat!!)The menu did change every few days and my favorite was the fish tacos (ask for extra guacamole). The chips are great with different dips on different days. They also had a great gazpacho. One day, our fish was cold so that is why it only got a B. Another day, my DH went to the Palms to get some food (buffet style) and brought it back to the table so we could eat together, “no problem mon”. He liked the self-serve Red Stripe but if you want another drink, just walk up to the Palms to get one or try fresh coconut water.

Cabana Grill: B-
Fast and efficient here so if you are looking for a quick meal, this place was the place to go. One day we had a great burger, another it reminded me of a school cafeteria (but they had awesome fries-a vacation treat for me). We liked the jerk chicken and BLT. This is right next to the swim up bar so you can get drinks there if you want or otherwise, they have a do it yourself soda and juice area.

Dinner:
Palms: C
As I said, I do not like buffets and unfortunately, we had to eat here on Monday night since we did not have reservations and Patios was closed for the Repeaters dinner. It was their international night so there was a good selection but nothing memorable besides the salad bar. My DH liked it better then me.

Patios: A-
We ate here two nights and both times had great meals although my DH was very disappointed on our first night (Saturday) when he thought he was getting lobster only to find out they had served them all the night before (Valentine’s Day). However, we had a fantastic meal anyways. Between the two nights, we had mushroom soup, salads, shrimp and pesto pizza (yum) mahi-mahi, and sirloin steak. This place had great service.

Lemongrass: A-
We loved the salad, shrimp pad Thai, and snapper (with choice of different sauces). We were able to eat here twice during our visit. I thought the servers here were not as good as the other restaurants (not as friendly) but loved the hostess and the girl who kept on filling up my wine! I liked the ambiance upstairs with the torches and one night we had a late reservation (9 was all we could get) so we were able to enjoy the music from the Palms.

Feathers: A
We ate here twice also and enjoyed both meals. We tried various appetizers (shrimp, tuna, squid), soups (including a delicious pumpkin) and had lionfish (yum), lamb, and steak for our meals; great service with the best white wine on property. My only disappointment was on our first night there, it was my birthday, and although my DH let them know it, it was not acknowledged at all.

Entertainment: B
We really didn’t catch a lot of shows but did see the beach party our first night (they had moved it to Saturday) which was entertaining and we saw a band with a female singer one night which was good. We wish there was some music at dinner time somewhere outside (before dinner drink?)

We did venture to the piano bar two nights and had a blast, singing along and meeting other guests. Both Ultimate Chocolate and Tino are very entertaining but would have liked to see them play more songs and not rely so much on the games. Some of the guests had wonderful voices. As mentioned in previous reviews, there were some obnoxious guests who would try to take over (and take the microphone to tell horrible jokes etc) but these were few in number.

Bars: B
As tequila drinkers, we were disappointed that their “top shelf” was Jose Cuervo (yuck- not even 100% tequila). Other than that, we enjoyed most of our cocktails. Martini bar has the best selection (top shelf vodka was Grey Goose). A decent Sauvignon Blanc could be found at both Lemongrass and Feathers. Otherwise the white was an okay chardonnay. Most bartenders were great although at times at the Sunset bar, they’d be more interested in talking to their friends then waiting on guests. This was really the only place we encountered this (a couple of days the girls blatantly ignored my DH, no reason why and he didn’t get waited on until one of the guy bartenders was free)

Pool: D
We are not usually pool people anyways (and why would you be with that beach) but some people are and this is where the hotel falls short. We are not pool bar people but usually have one drink just for the experience, but as others have said, it isn’t even connected to the pool.

Hot Tubs: B
They were really hot…in fact, the one in the middle of the property was so hot we couldn’t get in! (I know, wimps) The one at the Palms was broken the whole time we were there and there are two at the swim up pool. We enjoyed sitting in one during a rain storm (until the lightning came). We did not use the one at the fitness complex.

Housekeeping: A-
Only one day was our room not cleaned by 1pm and that was remedied with a phone call. Doreen did a great job. There was only one night we didn’t get turn down but no big deal, it wasn’t anything special.

Extras: A
We did do the catamaran cruise which was a nice way to see the beach and the cliffs area. We did swim in the caves which was cool and met some nice fellow guests. We also had a resort credit so we took some pictures (way over priced) and had a good time in the gift shop (which we never usually do). That was fun!

Concerns: We had a hard time with the no-tipping. We met some wonderful staff who we really wanted to acknowledge (I know they say write their name but talking to them, this does not add up to much). This was very hard for us since we are so used to a tipping culture (and have both worked in the industry where we relied on tips). I understand why they don’t allow it and I understand why people love this policy, but we hated it (and didn’t want to get people in trouble). There is tipping going on here, we saw it. Even if we couldn’t tip after every meal, we should be able to leave them an envelope or something at the end of our week. ..just saying. So with that being said, here is a shout out to our favorite staff at CSA: Kadee, Gayon, Nichola, and trainee Georgette (Patios) Reynaud (bartender at Martini Bar), Rohan, Stashi, Orrin, and Karline (Feathers) Dwight , O’Shaine, and trainee Cedric (Sunset Bar) Francesca (Bamboo Bar) Roel (Aura/Piano bar) Dwayne (photographer) Frazer (sports bar) and Doreen (our housekeeper).

This is long enough so overall, we had a wonderful week with great weather (except one afternoon with a 3+ hour heavy rain storm). We relaxed and reconnected and that was what we wanted. We went some wonderful people –both staff and fellow guests. I want to thank most of the repeaters who we met who were very friendly and helpful for us newbies. Would we go back…yes (we got the “vibe” so many have spoken about) but looking at the prices for the same week next year, it isn’t looking likely. This is a great resort but I think they are out pricing themselves and we did miss some of the little things (at the same price point) that we got at other resorts we’ve stayed at.

Room Tip: The older section rooms only have screens with shutters, but if you want to feel like you're out...
17 Thank jneil
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed March 3, 2014

What a great resort the staff, food, amenities -- well just everything about Couples Swept Away was wonderful. Hubby and I enjoyed our romantic vacation so much we're returning this April. If your want a terrific and romantic vacation take it from me this is your get away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple