“Super resort ... super staff .. shame about some of the guests ...”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #13 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed February 17, 2014

It’s a long flight from the UK to Montego Bay – so the Red Stripe in the Couples Lounge was very welcome, as was the 8 minute turnaround time before we were in the minibus for the 90 minute trip to Negril (HINT: If you’re in one of the small 12 seaters .. avoid the rear bench seat … it’s right on top of the woofer and makes an uncomfortable ride!

Check in was completed in less than 10 minutes and we and our luggage were escorted to our room (3304 – top floor of Bld 8 on the map). The room isn’t huge, but is perfectly adequate for the two of us. Our balcony had a nice view over the gardens and we could just about see the sea … but were welcomed by a lovely sunset. The aircon unit and fan did a super job on keeping the room cold. The bed was large and we found it, and the range of pillows, comfortable. It faced the flat screen tv and minibar (stocked every day but you do have to “order” some items … the spirits were delivered in 1 litre bottles with a pourer … nice!). There was a shortage of drawer space – but we were able to find enough space for our two weeks’ worth of clothes (50% of which never got worn!). The units were old and didn’t always close properly – but they did the job. There is a digital safe in the wardrobe. The bathroom had been refurbished and was nice – we didn’t experience the “flooding” that other reviewers have reported … but we did find that running the drench shower on “full” did cause some splashing. The room was kept clean, but I would have preferred the cleaning to have been done in the mornings rather than late afternoon or early evening … incidentally – your bedding will be changed every day unless you leave a note on your pillow. There is free Wi-fi in your room … but it is painfully slow by European standards

We ate our main meals all the restaurants during our stay… Lemongrass was certainly the best, but we found both Feathers and Patois more than satisfactory. Confusingly – the “buffet” restaurant “Palms” only seemed to be a buffet one night a week … the rest of the evenings it was a la carte. You do sometimes have to wait for a minute or so to be shown to your table at the restaurants, and the service wasn’t as speedy as we have experienced in other Caribbean resorts … but you’re in Jamaica so chill Mon!

Breakfast we alternated between the buffet and Patois …

The jerk chicken at the snack bar was superb … but the biggest surprise to me was Sea Grapes – the veggie bar. I’m a confirmed carnivore but couldn‘t get enough of their sweet potato chips with humus and jalapeno dips or their blackened snapper on coco bread … delicious!

The beach is lovely … not as soft as, say, Punta Cana in the DR, but it is cleaned and raked every morning … and you can walk for miles in both directions. There are plenty of sunbeds but not a huge amount of shade. Unfortunately the hotel does not enforce its’ “no reserving sunbeds” rule … we used to hear our neighbour open her door at 5am … returning 15 minutes after having secured her shade for the day.

The shore line is smooth and virtually rock free … you can walk out about 30 metres and still touch the bottom … and the sun bed mattresses make excellent floats! We did find a 5’ wide Ray swimming along the bottom near the buoys … quite a shock but it steered well away from us!

We spent a lot of our time near the swim up bar … quiet and peaceful until about 3pm when one or two US guests took up “residence” and increased their volume and liquor intake until their “whooping and hollering” became obnoxious. So … we’d nip down to the beach for a quick game of boules or horseshoes or go for a swim or a walk …

My wife loves her tennis so she was blown away with the courts and pro coaching (included in the AI plan) … and she’d like to say “thanks” to Rolston who escorted her across the road and back every day. In addition to the tennis courts, there are also racket and squash courts, a massive and well equipped (and underused) gym, a six lane lap pool, an aerobics studio, and a pool table and table tennis table …. And one of the many outdoor 104’f jacuzzis!

Evening entertainment was well above the standard we have experienced with other Caribbean (mainly Riu and Iberostar) resorts as most of the shows were put on by external groups and not by the entertainment team (who we never saw during the day!).

Our only bad experience was at the “Blazing Piano” show … a sort of “live” karaoke. It was there when we saw just how rude the aged “repeater” guests could be to the “newbies”. One young lady, invited to sing by the pianist, had the microphone taken away from her by an elderly woman who said something along the lines of “You’re new here. When you’ve been here 13 times like me, that’s when you get to sing!” She then proceeded to caterwaul a terrible rendition of “Hey Big Spender” which was greeted with massive applause from her fellow repeaters. I was stunned that the pianist allowed this to happen. We never returned to the Piano Bar.

We’re definitely going to try to get back to CSA (but as it would only be our second visit we wouldn’t venture into the Piano Bar again!) as the resort and staff were excellent.
Don’t expect US or UK levels of 5* luxury … you’re in Jamaica … the sun is shining … and have a “Bob Marley” shot on me!

Room Tip: The rooms are a lot quieter (but more expensive) the further you are away from the road
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
24  Thank LloydyG
Write a ReviewReviews (5,347)

Reviewed February 16, 2014

check in was slow and the staff seemed to be very unhappy, First upsetting point was my room was downgraded due to over booking, advise to Couples, never down grade a guest.

Room was ok but very dated, excuse for renovations is very poor, I paid for vacation not to here Hotels problems. Drainage of shower very slow and had to put towels down to collect excesss water,
Sports complex is great and the facilities good, but once again various machines not working, shouldnt be my problem with the amount of money i was paying to stay there. spa services excellent.

Beach is nice but not kept clean, lots of watersports staff just standing around not doing much, when you go to use the equipment lots of excuses given, to windy, not enough wind, so didnt really use them much, but if you want drugs then they move fast.
Tried the scuba diving and the staff where very professional.

Food generally ok but staff over whelmed in the morning with very little assistance or management presence in the mornings and hardly saw any managers around in the evenings, only saw managers at cocktail party. Camera people every where taking pictures but take your own camera as they charge $20.00us per picture which is outrageous. just get other guest to take your picture or other staff.

I spoke to various repeat guest which said they are not coming back and I would not go back until couples swept away address a few issue, also avoid the couples message board as it seems to be controlled by couples and they dont post the negative reviews, I have posted twice and they have not posted it.
Tried to speak with the general manager and she was not available the entire weekend.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Kathy D
Abraham I, Owner at Couples Swept Away, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Dear Kathy D,

Couples Resorts thanks you for staying at Swept Away. It was unfortunate to read that you ran into various issues during your stay.

I would like to apologize for the downgrade. Although it is no excuse, our reservation system temporarily malfunctioned which caused an overbooking. The room you stayed in did have a new bathroom but as you mentioned, comprehensive renovations are in progress.

Regarding our Sports Complex, the only 2 machines out of service were 2 out of 5 treadmills. All other equipment was and is working fine. The 2 treadmills have now been repaired. There were no other comments on our guest questionnaires from the week you stayed stating the beach was unclean. The beach is our most popular feature and well-maintained to Earth-Check standards.

Couples Swept Away is a very large property which makes it hard to see management consistently. However, guests may request to speak to General Managers at our front desk any time of day or night. Our General Manager was on duty the Saturday during that weekend.

Although you gave us a 3-star score of average, we still thank you for your review. All comments assist us in improving our service.

Regards,
Abraham Issa

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We have been coming to Jamaica since our honeymoon, and this is our fourth time at Swept Away. All inclusive and they mean it. Perfect beach, warm friendly staff, and good accommodations and food. Every night there is live entertainment and last night there was a beach reggae night. We've done their sunset cruise, went snorkeling and had spin classes almost every day. Lots to do besides sitting on the beach.
The only real fault we could find, was the very, very slow wifi in the room when you can get on at all. This made it impossible to stay connected to my office.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Qwickrick
Reviewed February 16, 2014

My husband and I spent a week at CSA from 2/8 to 2/15. Overall it was very relaxing, the food was very good, all of the staff were nice, and the room wonderful. The only thing I didn't like was actually the location on Seven Mile Beach. While it is beautiful, it is also so popular with local vendors that I never felt like I truly unplugged. It hindsight, I slightly more remote location would have been a better choice, but it is still a wonderful resort and experience. I have been to CTI and CB, and will always love the level of service at Couples!

Room Tip: The Atrium Suites are wonderful! Rooms are far enough back from the road that you don't get roa...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cristen L
Reviewed February 16, 2014

The Couples Resorts are head and shoulders above their competition in the Caribbean. I have been to all of them and they exceed your expectations. San Souci and Tower Isle in the eastern north shore of Jamaica have superior service and excellent opportunities to see Jamaican landmarks and attactions like Duns River Falls. In the western part of Jamaica, Couples Resorts have the benefit of calm seas and beautiful beaches. Couples Negril is as good as Tower Isle, but Swept Away is the best of these and the reason is the atmosphere. First and foremost, the management is top notch. The General Manager is always ensuring things are running at perfection and this trickles down on all the amenities and services in the resort. The food is awesome and the drinks are top shelf. Grab a second floor Ocean Veranda Suite for the best value. The Thai food at Lemon Grass is always good and the Patois restaurant always delivers. If you like to golf, Negril Hills is a course worthy of your time. The best thing about Couples: the resorts only cater to couples and that makes a huge difference for your vacation. I have been there four times with my wife and seven times to Couples Resorts overall. If you are a couple go to Couples Swept Away. You won't regret it.

Room Tip: Ocean Veranda Suite is best value
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Negril_Rob
Reviewed February 16, 2014

My husband and I chose Couples Swept Away for our Honeymoon in June 2013.
Overall, we had a fantastic time. The beach cannot be beat. Best beach I have ever seen/been on. We stayed on the first floor of a beach front suite and it was totally worth it. We could just sit on our porch and take in the beach, or walk a short way down to the sand and lay in the nearby hammock or beach chairs (there were plenty). The ocean is very calm, and you can float for hours. Not rocky at all - we live in New England, so this was a first time for us!
We ate mostly at Patois, which was very good. I just wish there were more options. But the food did not disappoint. We also enjoyed the small bar & grille on the end, near the beach. Jerk chicken was awesome, and lots of lunch time snacks. The buffet was also very good. We hate breakfast here every day. Never a wait, and the food was always good. Favorite was the banana french toast. The piano bar and late night club was a blast. We never got bored! Every night there was a different activity which we enjoyed. The catamaran cruise was a blast as well! Definitely a must do while you are there. Most of the staff is great and truly want you to have a great time.
The down-falls... the bathroom. I hate to say, but it was gross. There were little bags everywhere. Climbing the walls, in the sink, etc. I know we are in the Caribbean, but the resort really should try to do more to help with this issue. I mean it's bad. We just put towels on the cracks of our doors hoping it would help. Also, the bathroom door does not provide much privacy. It is just a door with slats, that you could see right through. Again, no biggie because it was just my husband and myself which is the case for most couples... but just not ideal. You would think a top resort would have a nicer bathroom situation. I was not particularly happy with the situation. Also, the room service was just OK. They did not do a great job, it seemed like some days, they barely swept the floor. We had to call them a couple of times to come back to sweep, and at that point, they'd wash the floor for us. There are two rugs on either side of the bed, and we found sand always under those rugs. Also, didn't help that they came so late in the day (right around 4pm), which is exactly when we'd be coming in from our beach activities to get ready for the evening.
Overall, much more good than bad here. I think we'd definitely try somewhere else before coming back, but we did have a fantastic time. The beach is totally worth it. It was amazing.

Room Tip: Beachfront suite definitely worth it!!! They are quieter and right on the beach. Ask for first floor...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jsimes526
Reviewed February 16, 2014

The positives, beach. Sorry everyone, i REALLY did not want to be one of these people who complain and nit-pick but my better half and i can't let this place continue robbing us hard working average joe's of our hard earned vacation time and money. We've been around to many all inclusive resorts from mexico to panama, cuba, turks etc... so we are no rookies here. Our flight from toronto is where we will begin, i need to start with a rehtoricle question, parents of new borns what would posses you to want to bring your new bundle of joy with you on an all inclusive vacation? Is this to annoy all the other vacationers? We had a symphony of crying babies on our flight, 4 hours of balling babies. How is this a vacation for you the parent? It was a great ad for a condom commercial. Landed got to the resort at 10pm we were starved. No where to eat had to suck it up. Checked in gave us a garden suite right next to the mechanical room, so loud and the room was shaking, of course we booked an attrium suite. Went right back down to the front desk to alert them of there mistake, the fella didnt even look up at us let alone even apologize! Told they were sold out and nothing could be done that eve. No sleep our first night. My patient half to me she'd deal with it in the morn because i was already looking at other hotels. Ive been to Jamaica many times before and I'm quite aware of the garbage service they have. I go for the food and coffee, its usually fantastic. I waited outside the lobby as my wife got our attrium suite back the next morning with an apology from the manager and a 100$ gift card for the gift shops. Scored a t shirt and coffee mug because its very expensive as you will see. Attrium suite was nice but it is not really private, the walls are all screens with california shutters you close for privacy. Very noisy you can hear every conversation within a 300' radius! Forgot about being intimate, it also allows all the drunks in the middle of the night to wake eveyone up. They do leave a little card stating you should be mindful of other guests etc but cmon, alcohol makes us all feel as if the earth was created for us and us alone. We did book this place to try and avoid the loud 20 something year olds plauging most other resorts but older adults saturated with booze is just as bad. Even though our room was not on the road the jamaican's advestise all their dance clubs in town by strapping enormus speakers on their cars and driving back and forth in front of the hotel blarring ads! No joke stand in your room and scream at the top of your lungs about clubs and partying and thats how loud it is. We found the buffet the best mainly because we were not at the
mercy of a server, plan for 3 hours at dinner if you're not at a buffet. 30 min till your at least acknowledged another 30 for your water another 30 for your actual drinks, then you order. It was an hour and a half between your appetizer and meal. Horrible horrible service. Terrible. I know i know were in Jamaica but cmon. Food was good though i can say that. Great beach, gotta tell ya though all these people who put their towels on a lounge thinking its theirs now make me giggle. Who came up with this "rule"? I enjoyed walking out to the beach after breakfast and aquiring two lounges with towels already on them, it like just eliminated me going to get towels! Thanks. The icing on the cake was checking out, we checked out at 11am although our flight didn't leave till 9pm so we floated around the resort and swam and ate and all that but when we wanted to change back to our travel cloths we were informed that the room provided for guests who have checked out is like a km walk away! Ok thats fine but it was a downpour outside so we asked for an umbrella no deal. No umbrella. None. Oh ya sorry to back track but while on the beach trying to relax you are bombarded with locals trying to sell you everything. We actually pulled out a stop watch, on average every 12 seconds, not kidding. You can be asleep on your lounge but that won't protect you, they'll wake you up to see if you want a bracellete, carvings, weed, parasailing, omg. We couldn't wait to leave. Goodbye Jamaica. You have squeezed the last dollar from me ever.

• Stayed: February 2014