“Fourth time here”

Ranked #15 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Amagansett, New York
“Fourth time here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

We have been coming to Jamaica since our honeymoon, and this is our fourth time at Swept Away. All inclusive and they mean it. Perfect beach, warm friendly staff, and good accommodations and food. Every night there is live entertainment and last night there was a beach reggae night. We've done their sunset cruise, went snorkeling and had spin classes almost every day. Lots to do besides sitting on the beach.
The only real fault we could find, was the very, very slow wifi in the room when you can get on at all. This made it impossible to stay connected to my office.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Qwickrick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,414)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Wyandotte, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

My husband and I spent a week at CSA from 2/8 to 2/15. Overall it was very relaxing, the food was very good, all of the staff were nice, and the room wonderful. The only thing I didn't like was actually the location on Seven Mile Beach. While it is beautiful, it is also so popular with local vendors that I never felt like I truly unplugged. It hindsight, I slightly more remote location would have been a better choice, but it is still a wonderful resort and experience. I have been to CTI and CB, and will always love the level of service at Couples!

Room Tip: The Atrium Suites are wonderful! Rooms are far enough back from the road that you don't get roa...
1 Thank Cristen L
Emerald Isle, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

The Couples Resorts are head and shoulders above their competition in the Caribbean. I have been to all of them and they exceed your expectations. San Souci and Tower Isle in the eastern north shore of Jamaica have superior service and excellent opportunities to see Jamaican landmarks and attactions like Duns River Falls. In the western part of Jamaica, Couples Resorts have the benefit of calm seas and beautiful beaches. Couples Negril is as good as Tower Isle, but Swept Away is the best of these and the reason is the atmosphere. First and foremost, the management is top notch. The General Manager is always ensuring things are running at perfection and this trickles down on all the amenities and services in the resort. The food is awesome and the drinks are top shelf. Grab a second floor Ocean Veranda Suite for the best value. The Thai food at Lemon Grass is always good and the Patois restaurant always delivers. If you like to golf, Negril Hills is a course worthy of your time. The best thing about Couples: the resorts only cater to couples and that makes a huge difference for your vacation. I have been there four times with my wife and seven times to Couples Resorts overall. If you are a couple go to Couples Swept Away. You won't regret it.

Room Tip: Ocean Veranda Suite is best value
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Negril_Rob
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

My husband and I chose Couples Swept Away for our Honeymoon in June 2013.
Overall, we had a fantastic time. The beach cannot be beat. Best beach I have ever seen/been on. We stayed on the first floor of a beach front suite and it was totally worth it. We could just sit on our porch and take in the beach, or walk a short way down to the sand and lay in the nearby hammock or beach chairs (there were plenty). The ocean is very calm, and you can float for hours. Not rocky at all - we live in New England, so this was a first time for us!
We ate mostly at Patois, which was very good. I just wish there were more options. But the food did not disappoint. We also enjoyed the small bar & grille on the end, near the beach. Jerk chicken was awesome, and lots of lunch time snacks. The buffet was also very good. We hate breakfast here every day. Never a wait, and the food was always good. Favorite was the banana french toast. The piano bar and late night club was a blast. We never got bored! Every night there was a different activity which we enjoyed. The catamaran cruise was a blast as well! Definitely a must do while you are there. Most of the staff is great and truly want you to have a great time.
The down-falls... the bathroom. I hate to say, but it was gross. There were little bags everywhere. Climbing the walls, in the sink, etc. I know we are in the Caribbean, but the resort really should try to do more to help with this issue. I mean it's bad. We just put towels on the cracks of our doors hoping it would help. Also, the bathroom door does not provide much privacy. It is just a door with slats, that you could see right through. Again, no biggie because it was just my husband and myself which is the case for most couples... but just not ideal. You would think a top resort would have a nicer bathroom situation. I was not particularly happy with the situation. Also, the room service was just OK. They did not do a great job, it seemed like some days, they barely swept the floor. We had to call them a couple of times to come back to sweep, and at that point, they'd wash the floor for us. There are two rugs on either side of the bed, and we found sand always under those rugs. Also, didn't help that they came so late in the day (right around 4pm), which is exactly when we'd be coming in from our beach activities to get ready for the evening.
Overall, much more good than bad here. I think we'd definitely try somewhere else before coming back, but we did have a fantastic time. The beach is totally worth it. It was amazing.

Room Tip: Beachfront suite definitely worth it!!! They are quieter and right on the beach. Ask for first floor...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jsimes526
Niagara Falls, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

The positives, beach. Sorry everyone, i REALLY did not want to be one of these people who complain and nit-pick but my better half and i can't let this place continue robbing us hard working average joe's of our hard earned vacation time and money. We've been around to many all inclusive resorts from mexico to panama, cuba, turks etc... so we are no rookies here. Our flight from toronto is where we will begin, i need to start with a rehtoricle question, parents of new borns what would posses you to want to bring your new bundle of joy with you on an all inclusive vacation? Is this to annoy all the other vacationers? We had a symphony of crying babies on our flight, 4 hours of balling babies. How is this a vacation for you the parent? It was a great ad for a condom commercial. Landed got to the resort at 10pm we were starved. No where to eat had to suck it up. Checked in gave us a garden suite right next to the mechanical room, so loud and the room was shaking, of course we booked an attrium suite. Went right back down to the front desk to alert them of there mistake, the fella didnt even look up at us let alone even apologize! Told they were sold out and nothing could be done that eve. No sleep our first night. My patient half to me she'd deal with it in the morn because i was already looking at other hotels. Ive been to Jamaica many times before and I'm quite aware of the garbage service they have. I go for the food and coffee, its usually fantastic. I waited outside the lobby as my wife got our attrium suite back the next morning with an apology from the manager and a 100$ gift card for the gift shops. Scored a t shirt and coffee mug because its very expensive as you will see. Attrium suite was nice but it is not really private, the walls are all screens with california shutters you close for privacy. Very noisy you can hear every conversation within a 300' radius! Forgot about being intimate, it also allows all the drunks in the middle of the night to wake eveyone up. They do leave a little card stating you should be mindful of other guests etc but cmon, alcohol makes us all feel as if the earth was created for us and us alone. We did book this place to try and avoid the loud 20 something year olds plauging most other resorts but older adults saturated with booze is just as bad. Even though our room was not on the road the jamaican's advestise all their dance clubs in town by strapping enormus speakers on their cars and driving back and forth in front of the hotel blarring ads! No joke stand in your room and scream at the top of your lungs about clubs and partying and thats how loud it is. We found the buffet the best mainly because we were not at the
mercy of a server, plan for 3 hours at dinner if you're not at a buffet. 30 min till your at least acknowledged another 30 for your water another 30 for your actual drinks, then you order. It was an hour and a half between your appetizer and meal. Horrible horrible service. Terrible. I know i know were in Jamaica but cmon. Food was good though i can say that. Great beach, gotta tell ya though all these people who put their towels on a lounge thinking its theirs now make me giggle. Who came up with this "rule"? I enjoyed walking out to the beach after breakfast and aquiring two lounges with towels already on them, it like just eliminated me going to get towels! Thanks. The icing on the cake was checking out, we checked out at 11am although our flight didn't leave till 9pm so we floated around the resort and swam and ate and all that but when we wanted to change back to our travel cloths we were informed that the room provided for guests who have checked out is like a km walk away! Ok thats fine but it was a downpour outside so we asked for an umbrella no deal. No umbrella. None. Oh ya sorry to back track but while on the beach trying to relax you are bombarded with locals trying to sell you everything. We actually pulled out a stop watch, on average every 12 seconds, not kidding. You can be asleep on your lounge but that won't protect you, they'll wake you up to see if you want a bracellete, carvings, weed, parasailing, omg. We couldn't wait to leave. Goodbye Jamaica. You have squeezed the last dollar from me ever.

• Stayed February 2014
13 Thank bob3857
Spring Lake, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

First, if you haven't been told, do your best to avoid a Sat mid/late day arrival as the Entry process can take an hour or more to manage. The ride then takes an add'l 1 1/2 hrs to get to the Club so just a quick FYI. Upon airport arrival, after gaining Entry, head to the Couples Lounge for a quick libation while the coordinators at the lounge round up your shuttle and organize your luggage. On the way, our shuttle pit-stopped for a Red Stripe and break btw. The facilities themselves are pretty nice. The Club is spread out, with plenty of room everywhere. If you are a beach person, then this is the place for you - clean, plenty of seating w mats you can use as floats, crystal clear warm water and best of all drink-delivery - just hold up your flag (given to you every morning) and place your order. It really was too easy. A walk north led you to the water sports cabana where hobbies, sailfish, kayaks, stand-up boards, etc., were all available. An extended walk beyond the property leads you on to Sandals then Hedonism while heading South takes you to Margueritaville, shopping and beach 'restaurants/bars' to enjoy (see Mama Flo's - cheap beers, good bites despite the scruffy appearance). It's quite a stretch of pleasant beach for a walk or jog. A note on this: security likes to know you are leaving the property so they'll ask for your room number on exit and return, no biggie AND when approached to buy something a 'No Thank you' is best as a 'maybe later' will have the vendor reminding you so on return. Overall, zero issues with any vendors whatsoever. Daily on the beach, musicians sell their CD's, sing, and converse BUT all within a nice beach setback because they aren't allowed to approach the guests' seating. Take a buck or two with you as some of these musicians are worth the 'respect'. And do the catamaran and snorkeling excursions - also worth it. The catamaran went to The Caves by Rick's Cafe - some drinking, some music, some snorkeling - don't get much better - book early on arrival though. Also do as much water sport as you can-too much sea scenery to ignore IMHO. Room-wise, very clean, well-kept by housing, with turndown service, bar replenishment and free Wi-Fi. Best of all - really nice verandas to enjoy light reading while taking in the ocean views or a slow drink. The whole complex in general was pretty clean and maintained. Food-wise, on a scale of 1-10, I'd say at least an 8-9 overall at all the facilities, with a push for Feathers and Lemongrass restaurants because both are REALLY good food. For example, THE best lobster ever - we asked for more and 'puff' it was plated in no time. Breakfast and lunch also are very good and varied daily. Service was about as good as it gets, no seating issues at breakfast or dinner, though sometimes a beach-side Seagrape lunch seat took 10 mins or so but it was worth the wait for their seafood tacos. Also, taste as many apps as possible because they are small for that reason. The staff were awesome – Colleen, Dillon, Dwight, Dyana, Syrinka, Andre, and all were super friendly all the time – the bar crews especially – funny and fun always. An absolute MUST: The Piano Bar with Ultimate Chocolate and Tino (?). It’s a fun 3 hours of sing-along-drinking at the piano – it’s like having your own Jamaican Billy Joel. Nightly entertainment was pretty good too. We weren't expecting steel drums to Evanescence but that’s some of what we got – pretty neat. The African / Caribbean dance troupe was great too – even pulled some audience participation. Unfortunately it rained whenever we wanted to venture into town so we can't help in that regard though I'd recommend a trip in if possible to check out LTU's by Rick's and maybe some other spots. Duns Falls and YS Fall are nice but a far ride (3 hrs ea way) so on a rainy day we just couldn't chance it. All-in-all, I would highly recommend this vacation resort to anyone. It’s a bit low-key at night, but that’s okay IMHO because there’s plenty to do all day long – including fitness workouts, yoga, XFit, spinning, etc – that will surely have you ready for a good night's rest…

Room Tip: "Corner suites are large and sunny" plus they have great Ocean views from their verandas...
5 Thank Al_D_Lax
oxford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

We were at CSA 5th Feb for 1 week and my husband and I played golf 5 times (18 holes). The course is only 15 minutes away and you are picked up at 8am every morning. Although green fees were included in our package, the buggy/cart (a must) and the mandatory caddy was $62 for 2 people plus a tip for the caddy (another $10 per person). The course was hilly, pretty, interesting and at times challenging. It was in need of a little TLC but overall not bad for golfers at our level.
The garden room we were allocated was OK but not great. The view from the balcony was just ‘jungle’ , interesting enough but very gloomy. Our only real criticism of the room was the open topped bathroom – so no sound proofing! We asked if we could be moved and although we had to wait a day, we were moved to a lovely room on the 3rd /top floor (4304) with a view of the gardens and the sea. Here, the only criticism was the road noise but it wasn’t a big issue as we were up for golf early every morning.
The resort is in a fabulous location on Negril’s 7 mile beach. The road divides the resort from the sports/fitness centre which is fantastic – large gym, outdoor laned swimming pool, tennis courts, squash etc etc. SPA was extra. The inclusive water sports (we snorkelled) and catamaran cruise were brilliant. The restaurants were really good although the PALMs buffet was a bit samey and when the beach party had to be moved indoors because of rain, the choice of food was limited (good job we eat pork). The Feathers restaurant was outstanding – make sure you try their tenderloin steak. We also particularly liked the Patois which was ‘a la carte’ for breakfast, lunch and dinner (which you didn’t need to book for) – so much more relaxing than queuing at the buffet and it stopped you eating so much.
The staff are amazing – so friendly and helpful. What I particularly liked was the camaraderie amongst themselves when they weren’t serving. They seem a genuinely happy workforce.
We have been to Couples Tower Isle (which was lovely as well) but just like many others we will be returning to Swept Away next time.

Room Tip: choose a high floor on the south side
4 Thank linda2030
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,749 reviews

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!