“Great holiday in Negril”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #15 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Caledon, Canada
“Great holiday in Negril”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

The food was very good, the staff were friendly, the bed was comfortable but the rooms need modernization. The beach is clean and great for walking, we felt very safe walking around. Lots of activities at the sports complex.

Room Tip: Beach front for some great sunsets.
4 Thank Tgkav

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,426)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Arthurdale
Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

The trip from the airport to the hotel was made without delay. I think most of us were repeat visitors so we opted not to stop at the halfway point. (This was our third trip to Jamiaca but our first to CSA). When we arrived at the resort we were assigned a room that we were not very happy with but once we expressed our concern, we were quickly moved to a fantastic room. We were in a corner garden view verandah room and were very pleased. Food was excellent, beach was beautiful, staff was wonderful. All in all I would recommend this resort to anyone traveling to Negril. We are returning back to Negril in Dec 14, but we are returning to Couples Negril (so far our favorite because of the smaller size).

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Melissa R
Kernersville, North Carolina
Reviewed February 5, 2014

My husband and I went to CSA for our honeymoon on June 24th-July 1st, 2013. This was our first time going to an all-inclusive resort and that is exactly what is was as soon as we stepped off the plane. We were greeted with Red Stripe upon our arrival in the CSA waiting lounge at the airport all while listening to locals sing to us. We waited there for approximately 20 minutes before getting on a shuttle to the resort. The ride from the airport to the resort is a little over an hour, so make sure you use the bathroom before you leave. Upon arriving to the resort we were greeted with a cold towelette and a glass of champagne. The bellman assisted with getting our luggage off of the shuttle while we checked into the resort. The check-in process was smooth and efficient. We arrived to the resort fairly early so we headed to the grill while we were waiting on our room. The grill was great and ended up being our favorite lunch spot. We love the nachos and cheese!! I did get tired of the jerk sauce after about day 3. They put it on everything! After lunch, we went to our room where our bags had already been placed. We stayed in a oceanfront veranda suite. I highly recommend it! It was nice to open our balcony doors and hear the sound of the ocean. We even took a nap on the balcony the first day we were there. So relaxing!

Paid Excursions: While we were there we went Zip lining and enjoyed an afternoon at Rick's Cafe. We had so much fun Zip lining but make sure you bring bug spray. The mosquitoes were very bad. This excursion took up the majority of our day. I would suggest eating a good/large breakfast before going on this excursion. They have food at the Zip lining tour facility but it was over priced and didn't look too appetizing. Rick's Cafe is a must while you are in Jamaica. We got on a bus from the resort to Rick's. The ride was approximately 15 minutes. Some of the people on the tour ate dinner there but we just dipped our feet in the pool and watched the cliff divers. Make sure you bring a towel and a bathing suit if you plan to jump! All of these activities were set up through the concierge on the resort.

Included Water Sports: We did most of the complimentary water sports. The sunset catamaran cruise takes you out to the caves and Rick's Cafe. A lot of people jumped off the boat and swam in the caves. Please be careful if you do this. There were a lot of kids who will ask you for money once you get into the caves. They are also at Rick's Cafe. So be cautious! We also did the glass bottom boat. This was exciting because we were able to see sea life, a ship wreck, and even got to hold a starfish. Make sure to sign up for these water sports early in the morning because they do fill up fast. There is always something to do even if you haven't signed up for anything. Many days we would do the stand up paddle board or paddle boats. The water is so clear that we could look down and see stingrays underneath us. It was so cool, but don't fall off! LOL

Food: Overall the food was decent. This is the one area that I would suggest needs the most improvement. Breakfast was the best meal of the day. We went to the buffet each morning. The items are pretty much the same everyday. They have a made to order omelet bar, which is really good! For lunch, we went to the grill most days. It was your typical grill food, burgers, sandwiches, subs, etc. The average wait time was about 15 minutes after placing your order. If you are looking for a light lunch I would suggest Seagrapes. This is a vegetarian restaurant. It was always really good. For dinner, we ate at the buffet a few nights. The food was "okay" but nothing to write home about. There was normally a theme, so one night would be Italian Night and the other night might be Mexican Night. We would go to the buffet if we didn't have reservations anywhere else. Patios was an al a carte restaurant. The portions were very small so we ended up at the grill later on in the evening. Also, there is a local bar next door and we could smell pot while we were eating. Since it was our honeymoon I wanted to have dinner on the beach. This was overrated and had we known we would have skipped this add on. The food was "okay" but not great and we were getting eaten up by mosquitoes the whole time we were on the beach. The service was awesome, but we would skip this if we were to go back. My favorite restaurant was Lemongrass. The ambiance was beautiful and the chicken pad thai was so delicious. The only restaurant we didn't go to was Feather's because they require dress pants and my husband only had jeans.

Gift Shop: Not many items to choose from. I wanted a cute honeymoon shirt to remember our trip but they didn't have any. Also, make sure you bring lots of sunscreen and bug spray. We ran out and ended up having to buy a $25 dollar bottle of sunscreen.

Beach: The beach is wide and there are plenty of beach chairs. There are several huts along the beach but they get taken early in the morning so if you want one make sure you get up early. There are red flags along the beach that you can prop up when you would like a beverage. A bar hop will come over to your chair and ask for your order. This was heaven!

Entertainment: The entertainment was very good! We always went to the buffet area and watched an evening show. They would bring in local talent and we always had a good time.

Tipping: We brought so much cash with us because we thought we would be tipping the whole time. That was not the case at all! This is truly an all-inclusive. When we got there we put our wallets in the safe and never took them out unless we were going on an off-site excursion.

Cons of this hotel: It was hard to get beach towels at times which was very frustrating. There were times when we had to go back to our room to get our bath towels and use them as beach towels. When we first arrived to the resort I was kind of disappointed because the resort didn't look like the pictures on the website. It was much more dated than anticipated but as the days went on I began to appreciate the authenticity of the resort. The vendors on the beach had to be the most annoying thing. They were constantly going up and down the beach yelling and trying to sell you stuff. Security does a good job of monitoring and making sure the local vendors don't approach you but it is very annoying when you are just trying to sip on your drink and soak up the sun!

Overall, we had a great time!! The service was great and they went above and beyond to make sure we were catered to the whole time we were there. They truly bust their butt!

Room Tip: Middle or Top floors are better because other guest can walk up to your balcony/porch if you are on...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Hannah A
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 3, 2014

WOW, this resort exceeded my expectations. Ill start with all the good and last i will tell you the only downfall of this amazing place.
This hotel has a lounge at the air port, as soon as you get there you could have a redstripe as you wait for your transportation to the hotel. It was about a 20 min wait. Upon arrival at the hotel , we were greeted with a glass of champagne as we checked in. It was fast and simple, less than 15 min upon arriving i was in my room.
The food was excellent at every restaurant , they had a variety of places to go to eat. In the morning you can get room service, go a la cart or to buffet. For lunch, you have 4 options, between going to seagrapes, the cabana grill, the buffet, and the a la cart(patois). For dinner, you got the choice of the buffet, patois( a la cart with no reservations) or booking the two a la carts. The cabana grill is open all night long, so theres always food. The food was always plentiful and very good. I have only one complaint about the food, and its that you cant get a chicken sandwich without the jerk sauce at the cabana grill. They offer taziki sauce and it would be nice to get a chicken sandwich without the jerk sauce on it, but still very very good.
They have two a la carts you need to book reservations to go to, lemongrass(thai) and feathers. I did not get into feathers because i only brought jeans down, and the dress code says no jeans aloud. They were very nice about it, and offered to serve me the feathers menu in the patois restaurant or they would lend me a pair of slacks. So bring dress pants if you plan on going. We went to lemongrass and the food was excellent. We both got the chicken pad thai. One thing i have to brag about is the steak in patois for dinner, wow it truly is amazing, so tasty, cooked to perfection and melted in my mouth. I am a foodie and i have to say i was NOT disappointed at all, and im a picky eater. There is something to eat for everyone here. When im in jamaica i usually like to go out into the west end cliffs to eat, not this time, the resort food was too good!

The hotel is clean, and is in pretty good shape. They were doing some minor renovations while i was there, but i dont know why people are saying the hotel needs a face lift, it is perfectly fine. Pretty big grounds, with lush gardens, kept very clean and well landscaped.

The staff is amazing, and will go out of their way to fulfill your request. All staff is very friendly, and service was very good. Look for Curtis at the martini bar and ask him for his gin cocktail, it was good. Talk to the water sports guys, there cool and theres always something that u could sign up to do there, complimentary and for a fee. We did the glass bottom boat, and catamaran cruise, both included and worth it.

The room i had was very nice. We stayed in the great house veranda suite, and i think all the rooms in the great house have a partial ocean view. Room was very clean. From my balcony i could hear the beach. Everyday my room was cleaned spotless.

The beach is amazing, i think CSA has the best patch along the beach, it is very wide. The security does a very good job, and they always come by your side if you decide to talk to a vendor on the beach to make sure everything is ok .There is only a few huts on the beach but there is alot of trees, so finding shade shouldnt be a problem. Some days it was hard to find a beach chair. When i was here, i think the hotel was at max capacity, but it didnt feel that way because of the layout, never felt too crowded. I really liked this hotel, and cant wait to return, I will definitely recommend this hotel to people.

I dont know how some people gave this hotel bad reviews, they really must have tried to have a bad time. This hotel has everything you could possibly want or ask for while away on vacation. Dont have any hesitations to book this resort!

Now for the only bad part, and it has nothing todo with the hotel itself, but the repeat guest. SOME of the repeat guests here are truly a problem. I know CSA likes to show appresiation to their return guest, but the treatment they get i think makes them feel some sort of way, surperior then the rest i think. Two days on the beach i found a spot right in the middle i really liked,so we reserved two loungers with our towels and jumped into the ocean. We then went to lunch, so i left my goggles ontop of one of my towels. As i got back from lunch, and went back to the beach, i couldnt find my chairs. I walked up and down a few times looking for it, then in the middle of the beach i found my two towels and my swim goggles on a table in the middle of the beach. I didnt know what to think, other than another guest was really rude. Anyways i let it go. The next day i decided to go to the same spot on the beach.I went for a walk down the beach, and behold when i came back my two chairs with my towels on them were gone and moved AGAIN. This is were i got a little bit upset, so i took a step back and looked at the people around where my chair was. I then realized i was beside a big group of elderly repeat guests. At this point, all i could do is laugh, i still cant believe the people. NO respect at all, and immature. I heard that I was not the only one who this happen to. But dont let these people ruin your stay, i just moved to a different spot on the beach, and it didnt happen to me again. Other then some rude repeat guests, it was a really enjoyable, and fun vacation. I can see why alot of people return to this hotel, i know i will be!

Room Tip: depends what your looking for, check website resort map
21 Thank Jetlife
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We went to Jamaica expecting relaxation, and that is exactly what we got. Booked a Premiere Beachfront Suite (the only real bonus here was that we had a wraparound porch on ground level on the beachfront, any room there looked beautiful), which was open and clean. Had an incident about 4 days in where the ceiling started pouring water onto the bed, but fortunately we were in the room and able to save our things. We were promptly moved rooms and they gave us a free couples massage! Minor tip: book the free amenities early (sit-down restaurants, glass-bottom boat tour, etc) because they fill up fast! The staff was friendly and everyone seemed to genuinely have the Jamaican carefree spirit. Nothing like seeing the guy picking up trash singing happily at the top of his lungs, just because.

Room Tip: Premiere Beachfront Suite only means wraparound porch. Any room that faces the ocean will be beauti...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Kasey H
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

We returned to CSA in December 1st 2013 for a three week stay. We had previously stayed in April 2010.
1; we were lucky enough to have been staying In a beach front suit, room 2229. Fantastic view of the beach and the Caribbean Sea . Lovely room, we love the rustic feel . If you want frills& marble than it isn't for you.
2; staff all lovely . In particular Kadene who looked after us most days in the main restaurant . Dwight in the martini bar, Kurt at the sunset beach bar , In fact most of the staff were so helpful and nothing was too much trouble.
3; food good & good variety .
4; our room and main areas were kept very clean. My only criticism would be the beach furniture could have done with being cleaned. That said they were in the process of changing the sunbed pads as we left.
5; we used the spa on numerous occasions. I had several pedicures & we had a couples massage , lovely !
All in all it was lovely we renewed our wedding vows on the 9/12/13 again couldn't fault the wedding planners . The whole day was so special.
Would we go again? Most definitely , as there are several restaurants and different bars there you don't feel hemmed in.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cherrytattoo
Powassan, Canada
Reviewed February 2, 2014

My husband and I, along with another couple, just returned from Couples Swept Away in Negril. We stayed from January 24 - 31st. This was our third trip with Couples, having previously stayed at Couples Tower Isle and Couples Sans Souci both in Ocho Rios.

Although we have no complaints about Couples Swept Away, and we thoroughly enjoyed our trip, we unanimously decided that we enjoyed the other side of the island better. Others may not agree, and this is just a personal preference as we found the smaller, private beaches and cliffs of the Ocho Rios properties more relaxing and quiet than the long beach in Negril. But really it's all what you are in to and what you are looking for. I will elaborate...

Transfer from airport/Check-In:
Our flight was slightly delayed from Toronto, but we quickly got through customs and had a quick drink and changed in the Couples Lounge at the Montego Bay airport and were on our way in no time to the resort. The ride to the resort was fine, and we were greeted with a cool towel and champagne upon check in at the hotel. Our bags and ourselves were taken to our room immediately.

Room:
We were in a Great House Veranda Suite (Room 5209) and we had a great view of the ocean. The room was clean and comfortable and sleeping was great as we could hear the ocean waves and it was quiet.

Food/Drinks:
We ate at all the restaurants and enjoyed every single morsel of food. We skipped the Managers Cocktail Party and Repeaters Dinner, although it's a nice touch and we appreciated the invite we just wanted to do our own thing. Whenever we got drinks we asked for them to be made with Appleton Rum as they tasted much better than the other brand they use.

Beach/Water Sports:
We walked from end to end of Seven Mile Beach and found that Couples Swept Away had the best stretch of beach. Both long and wide with lots of chairs and floaties available and shade if need be. The water was refreshing and was so clear with a nice sandy bottom. Great for swimming and water sports. I went stand up paddle boarding almost everyday and could see starfish and stingrays as I paddled.

There is lots to do if you want - paddle boards, kayaks, hobie cats, snorkelling, scuba diving etc., (included with resort) as well as vendors who offer jet skis and parasailing for a fee. This could be seen as an asset or liability depending on what kind of traveller you are. If you want quiet, serene, relaxing, etc., then Seven Mile Beach may not be for you. Because it's a public beach, it isn't limited to the guests of the resort which means there are people everywhere. Other tourists, local vendors, and water sports going on all over the place makes it a very busy beach. We were going to go parasailing but there seemed to be a bit of a turf war over this service and we were in the middle of it so we opted out. Yes, you do get offered marijuana a lot, I think mostly if you are male, and you smell it a lot if you walk on the beach. But no one was aggressively pushy about it. There is lots of security on the beach who intervene immediately. if you don't want the vendors bothering you just ignore them or say no thanks right off the bat.

Excursions:
The only one we did was the snorkelling and it was great. We brought our own gear but they do supply it if needed. They take you out in a boat to a reef not far from the resort and for about 30 minutes give you a chance to snorkel and show you different fish and sea creatures. Afterwards when we were in the boat the guide gave us a chance to hold a sand dollar, sea urchin etc., and then he released them back into the water.

Spa/Yoga:
My husband and I had a couples massage at the spa and it was very nice. I attended one yoga class at the sports complex and it was nice as well.

Atmosphere:

We don't normally go with any expectations and are very unpretentious people, but we have to admit that we were really expecting this to be our best vacation ever considering the two other Couples Resorts in Ocho Rios were so great and we missed having a long beach to walk, which Couples Swept Away in Negril has. The only issue we had was that we didn't feel like we were at a 'Couples' resort. It felt more like a regular all-inclusive resort due to the busy beach and large groups of couples that were there. Swept Away has 312 rooms compared to Sans Souci which only has 150. So that in itself makes it busier and less intimate. It seemed to be a different demographic of guests compared to the Ocho Rios Couples resorts, so it wasn't as romantic and relaxing. So again, depending on what kind of vacation you are looking for, it's a completely different atmosphere than Couples Tower Isle and Couples Sans Souci. Not bad, just different.

If you are a sports enthusiast, this would be the place for you as there is no shortage of things to do sports-wise. Between the water sports and the huge sports complex, there are lots of things to do to stay active.

Overall:

We had a really good week at Couples Swept Away. We enjoyed the beach, had great weather, a comfortable room, and delicious food. Just keep in mind if you are looking at all the Couples Resorts to decide what type of vacation you want. If you want quiet and relaxing go to Ocho Rios, if you want a long beach with lots of water sports, go to Negril.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank CuteTravellers
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,778 reviews

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!