“4th time to CSA - Best Trip!”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #14 of 81 Hotels in Negril
O'Fallon, Missouri
“4th time to CSA - Best Trip!”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

This was our 4th trip to CSA and our 6th trip to Couples properties. We have been to all 4 of the properties in Jamaica. CSA is by far our top choice. This trip was our best yet. The service, food and resort exceeded our expectations.

We arrived into MBJ and had opted for the Club MoBay VIP service since it was a Saturday and we expected long lines in immigration and customs. We saved probably a good hour by having the VIP service. Once we got through we checked in at the Couples lounge and went next door to the VIP lounge. We were at the lounge maybe 20 minutes before we boarded the bus to CSA. We had a very good driver who pointed out a lot along the way. Being our 4th time to that side of the island we know the area pretty well so it was fun talking to newbies on the bus about Jamaica. We stopped for a brief minute at CN to drop off those guests and then we were on our way to CSA.

Upon arrival we were greeted with the champagne and cold cloth although it was dark and not really hot so I didn't use the washcloth. We checked in and were asked if we would mind moving from the original room they booked us in to another so that 2 sets of friends could be near each other. We would have been in building #4 next to the lobby. We ended up in building #7 which was more centrally located and much better for us! After getting to our room we went to find dinner as it was Lobster night and 7:00 pm by this time. We started off at Pataois. Great service!

I will go into detail of the various areas of the resort:

* Room - Great room, no problems at all. (Only thing I do not like is the open top bathroom. You hear everything.) It was clean and stocked everyday. We did not get turn down service the first 2 nights, but did every night after that.

* Palms - Excellent food and service. As divers we would eat a quick breakfast before our morning dives on the outside of Palms at the pool. Stacey Anne was always cheery and provided great service! Peter & Lincoln at the Palms bar were top notch! They knew what my husband and I liked to drink and they always started it when they saw us walking up. Excellent service!

* Seagrapes - Excellent food everyday. One day it took 25 mins for someone to take my order. I saw several other couples sit down and have their orders taken first. Once they realized I had been there for awhile they quickly got our food out. Not a big deal, but we were pretty hungry. The chefs O'Shane & Jarvis were awesome as they would grill up my husbands lionfish hunts when we came in from diving.

* Pataois - Excellent food and service. We ate here for breakfast one day and dinner a couple of nights. Jonnoy a server was a stand out employee for us. Repeaters Dinner with Cleopatra at our table was excellent as usual.

*Grill - Excellent food and service. Never any issues.

*Swim up bar - We are more of beach people but when we did go Kavian was excellent. When we went to the grill we would go over to the swim up bar for our drinks to bring back to the grill.

*Spa - I used the salon for my vow renewal hair and makeup. I cannot remember the lady I had but she was excellent and did exactly what I wanted by the picture I brought in. We also got a 1 hour couples massage. I get massages every month back home and my massage at CSA this trip was not a very good one. It was ok though I get them every month back home and hubs enjoyed his since he only gets them in Jamaica. I wish the mineral pool would have been hotter. It was only cool.

* Beach - Same perfect beach as always. Vendors seem to be a little more bothersome this trip then in the past but a simple no thanks got them on their way. I still get annoyed at the people who put towels out before the crack of dawn. Management should crack down on that. We were always able to find a chair but not always a floatie.

* Dive Team - We have only been diving since August 2012 and had our first ocean dives at CSA in November 2012. This trip we returned as Advanced divers. The dive team was top notch. They were safe and always made the dives enjoyable. Shaggy, Cooper, Gilani, Anthony and the rest of the crew were awesome. My husband got lionfish hunt certified with Anthony which was a great experience for my husband. We dove everyday and on our first day swam with a family of 5 dolphins. Best dive of our lives so far! We did 1 night dive with Gilani. We had done night snorkeling before but never diving. We didn't see much, but it sure was awesome!

*Wedding office - We renewed our vows on our 10 yr wedding anniversary (12/20/13) we also had done this on our 5 year at CSA. We went with the basic package and our friends who were staying at CN came over to CSA for the ceremony. Everything went perfect.

*Departure -left at 11am for a 3:35pm flight out of MBJ. Got our departure gift and boarded the bus with our sad faces. Opted for Club MoBay at MBJ and again worth every penny!

Upon our return home to the states we booked Couples trip #7 back to CSA where I will celebrate my 40th birthday in February 2015. There is no place I would rather be then home at Couples Swept Away!

Room Tip: We always book garden Verandah. Building 6 and 7 are great as they are in the middle of the resort.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank trhops

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,447)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 27, 2014

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a great vacation at Couples Swept Away. You know when they tell you its all in the details...the small things...well - I can tell you that if you are one of those people who likes the details- this is the resort for you! We arrived at the airport with a warm welcome from the Couples staff, a cold drink and a personal driver that took us directly to the resort. No drops off along the way- straight there.We were then welcomed again with a glass of champagn and a personal check in...no big lines, just an individual seat and checked in in record time.
Our room was great- although close to the road- we rarely heard traffic. Food was plentiful and pleased every palate. The two a la carte restaurants were great- Lemongrass being our favourite- mostly due to the atmostphere outside, tiki torches...just beautiful.
The staff were wonderful- always a smile on their faces and happy to help you with whatever you needed.
Fantastic guests! This is a resort that people come back to you year after year so it feels like a community, and one that is very welcoming. We met folks from all over- the US, UK, Germany and ofcourse Canada. Big shout out to Kent and Molly from Ohio who took us under their wing:-)
There are so many positives about this resort- its hard to find negatives. Its not new and flashy by any means, but the rustic colonial charm and laid back atmosphere is so unpretentious.
Lots of activites to keep you busy- gym, tennis, squash, running track, spa, water sports, golf, walks on 7 mile beach or just lounging with a book on the beach.
I have been to many all inclusives over the years in many destinations..this one by far is my favourite. We cant to go back...especially since we came home to minus 30 and snow!
Kudos CSA!
Sue-Ellen and Curt
Ottawa, ON

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1205-close to road and check in area, but the grounds are so lush that you feel li...
7 Thank Sue-Ellen H
Westminster, Colorado, United States
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We had visited CSA in July 2013 and actually had the pleasure of visiting recently again, in January 2014. We actually had planned to meet some friends in Jamaica, who chose to book Sandals Montego Bay. However, I couldn't travel all the way to Jamaica without visiting Negril and CSA. So, we chose to do a split stay, 3 nights at CSA and 3 nights with our friends at Sandals MB. It felt a little odd to be doing a split stay at two competing resorts. However, it was a great opportunity to compare the two, and having only stayed at Couples resorts in Jamaica, we could finally figure out if we were missing out on anything at a different resort chain.

First of all, I will refrain from doing a detailed review of CSA as not much had changed since our visit in July 2013 (refer to my previous review if you want a more detailed review). However, I do want to touch on some of the differences we noted.

The first thing we noticed is a huge change in the staff. It seemed like there were all new staff working at the resort this time and they were much more friendly! I didn't think there was much of a problem before and felt that some of the staff was just quiet. However, this trip it felt like some of the staff really went out of their way to be friendly and make our trip enjoyable.

As far as the resort visitors go, we had complained in July that there were a lot of loud, obnoxious visitors at the resort (mostly in groups). However, I think because of the time of year, the crowd tended to be older and less annoying. In fact, we were one of the few Americans on the resort. I actually thoroughly enjoyed this! Most of the couples were friendly, respectful, and very laid back.

The weather was great while we were there and cooler (less humid) than in the summer months (you could actually just lay on the beach without submerging yourself in water every 5 minutes). On the other hand, the water seemed to be much more choppier and cooler than in the summer. However, we still had no problems floating out in the water with our floaties all day.

As far as food goes, I really didn't notice a difference from our last trip. We actually chose to only do the buffet and Seagrapes while we were there (we didn't want to dress up and truly wanted to just relax this visit). One thing I did notice was the buffet was a la carte both Saturday and Sunday night. This was a bit of a disappointment as we actually really like the choices that come with a buffet. However, the pasta bar was still available both nights and this is one of our favorite options! Seagrapes was amazing, as usual!!

The only disappointment of my stay was the noisy room we had. We elected to stay in an atrium again as we really enjoy falling asleep to the tree frogs at night. However, we were placed in a room right next to the Palms. Unfortunately, not only does the entertainment continue until about 10:30 every night (which sounds like a party going on in your room), but there also was a path directly behind our room used by the staff all night. When we return, we will request an atrium room away from the Palms. This certainly didn't ruin our trip by any means, but was probably my only complaint about our stay.

I will let you read my Sandals MB review separately and will refrain from providing a detailed review here. However, I will comment that, when given the option, I will always choose Couples over Sandals. I found that when we went to Sandals, it was the fine details of Couples resorts that I missed desperately (not to mention the beach). I missed my morning coffee being brought to my patio, the lush grounds, and the "laid back" Jamaican culture that you feel at Couples resorts. Also, the rooms. While they may be a little worn, they feel truly Caribbean. And, of course, the beach. The beach is one of the key things that will keep me coming back to CSA and I truly don't feel it will ever be beat!

Room Tip: Book an atrium - you will love falling asleep to the tree frogs at night! If you tend to go to bed...
5 Thank Tknightco
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed January 26, 2014

A very nice resort on a wonderful stretch of beach. It is not a 5 star hotel in New York or Vegas, but it is an excellent resort in Jamaica. Food is good. Drinks are very good. Service is very good to excellent. Security is outstanding. Watersports that are included are an outstanding value.
We enjoyed our first trip here, and overall I would say everything was even a bit better on our 2nd trip here. We stayed in a garden verandah room, everything in it was great. Housekeeping was great. My wife and I did a wedding vow renewal on the beach, the wedding staff was great too. We had no issues, and are looking forward to our return next year. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them.

Room Tip: we stayed in a Garden Verandah room each time. both were great, this year the one we stayed in was a...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
CouplesSocialMgr, Public Relations Manager at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear ArtVandelay333,

Thank you so much for your review and for having chosen to renew your vows with us. We are happy that you had a memorable experience with us and we will share all your commendations with the staff.

We certainly are looking forward to your return visit and thank you for your support.

Regards,
Boston
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

If you are thinking of trying this resort, stop thinking and book it. We just got back from 10 days in paradise at couples swept away. Our trip was only supposed to be 7 days but our flight was cancelled and couples was very accommodating (huge thank you to Ms. Williams) so we stayed for 10 days. Of all the resort's we have stayed at couples swept away has so much more to offer. Beach is breath taking, food was amazing, giant selection of activities and excursions that are included (catamaran cruise is a blast!), we stayed in the great house Jacuzzi suite 5108 the view is amazing, room was beautiful, service in any of the restaurants is outstanding, truly a perfect romantic get away. We will definitely be back soon! So glad we found this resort!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sandsdreamr
Indiana, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 25, 2014

This was our second stay in the past 12 months at Swept Away.

Couples will transport you for free from the airport.
After you check immediately (Before you go to your room) book your catamaran and glass bottom boat excursions. Also book you entree restaurants and get them as early in your trip as possible (Feathers and Lemon Grass). You cannot re-book until you have had your first dinner. Do not book a dinner on Saturday. This is lobster night (Go to the Palms Restaurant) Monday is International Night which should not be missed unless you are going to the Repeaters Dinner (For Those who have been to Couples Before A do not miss).

Sea Grapes is by far the best place to eat at lunch (Service is slow if you order Fish Taco or Fish Sandwich - Both I highly recommend).

They have a orientation at 10:00AM and 5:00PM which you really need to go to every-time you stay at a couples.

The Health Club / Sports area is probably the best in all the Carribian, I took up Tennis again (Free Lessons every day) . The running track and workout areas are top notch. Lap Pool is wonderful. Golf is also available for a small fee.

Massages are best offsite about $1.00 per minute. At the beach facing the Ocean go left off property and you will find many massage opportunities.

Down-side: The Pools are not very nice and are very small. Everything here is about the beach and the sand. There are a number of hot tubs but often the temperature was turned off or down and were only in the low 90's. Both times we have stayed we had problems getting the Liquor / Soft drinks we ordered for the room. Even seeing the concierge did not help.

We have stayed at Couples Resorts 3 times and are planing to go back again in October to Jamaica. If you have any questions please send me a message.

The smaller catamarans are also enjoyable and they will take you out or you many take them on your own.

Rooms: We prefer the Atrium Rooms with their large patios or decks (There are no Televisions in these rooms) Ask for a quite area. Do not stay near the Palms Restaurant (Loud at night and loud in the AM) This Room is only slightly more than the lowest price room and well worth the difference.

Room Tip: I am High on the Atrium Rooms. Do not stay near the Palms Restaurant.
5 Thank jeffsmead
Alcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2014

My wife and I have just returned from 14 days of bliss, at Couples Swept Away. A seriously relaxing Holiday. This resort is as chilled as they come and it’s up to you how much you want to do or not do.
Playing
Lots of activities are included in the package. The ones that took my fancy were Scuba, Snorkelling, Sailing and Water Skiing. Golf, Tennis, Squash and Rackets we heard were good, but 3rd party participation is about as energetic as we got with those. Special thanks go to the Scuba Team; Kunta Kinte, Shaggy and Full of **it (Fuller). There were lots of other pass times, Tie dying, weaving, hat making to name some; and my personal favourite was Rum appreciation.
Sleeping
We were thinking about upgrading to a Beach Front Veranda Suite, but once we saw our stock Garden Veranda suite we were happy. Set in lush gardens, with a view to the beach, a refurbished bathroom and it felt much bigger than the photographs portrayed. The balcony was reasonable and comfortably furnished. An absolute perfect location, for watching some of the awesome sunsets. We had no problems with noise, found the Night chorus of Tree Frogs relaxing and barely heard any traffic noise; even though the road was directly behind this block.
Eating
We were amazed that we didn’t put on any weight on this trip. It seemed that, when we weren’t doing anything, we would be having a drink or eating. There are four Restaurants and two Snack bars to choose from. I could easily have survived on snack food alone. The Cabanas Grill, for Patties, Burgers and Jerk Chicken; to name some. Special thanks go to Tracey Ann for supplying me with the special Scotch Bonnets from her garden, and of course to Gayon for looking after me so well. The Sea Grapes for the fantastic fish Tacos, Veggie burger and the Hummus and sweet potato crisps. The Feathers is stylish tasty and well worth the effort to book. It has a dress code for men too wear long trousers and a shirt with a collar. The stipulation for closed toe shoes has now been dropped. But, having acclimatised, I found the Air Conditioning a little cool. The Lemon Grass is a Thai Fusion Restaurant and makes a pleasant change. The Palms is a buffet style option, for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Lots of tasty options and gave us our first memorable taste of the Jamaica the grilled Snapper with just a hint of Jerk spices; gorgeous. The Patios turned out to be our favourite for Breakfast and Dinner. This is a menu led option, but they are so flexible, it was simply a joy. We spent most morning and evening meals here. The Fish, Steaks, Burger, Pizza, Smoked Marlin and Lobster served here were excellent. Being a devout carnivore, I found out that I also really enjoyed the Callou and Garlic mash.
Drinking
There are plenty of Bars to choose from. On the Beach there are two , which also offer a flag service for those that can’t face a few yards exercise. The Pool bar turned out to be our haven during the day. Special thanks go to Tinker Bell (Dian), Angel (Francesca), Peter and Lincoln. They were so quick to learn our names, tastes and made us feel comfortable. The Patios, The Main, The Aura and The Martini Bars are all good as well. Some of the Martini inventions were exceptional.
Location
The Beach is one of the Best we have ever visited, Soft clean sand sloping gently into the sea. The grounds are lush and well looked after. The Sand is raked daily and is clean despite some fellow guests’ inability to find an ashtray or bin. We never found a shortage of loungers or seats, even at over 80% occupancy; CSA retains a spread out and relaxed environment.
Overall
We always ask ourselves, would we come back? If the answer is Yes. Would we do an extra week? The answer is also Yes. Say no more…….

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Stevan B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Sandy Haven Resort
Hedonism II
#18 of 81 in Negril
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!