“It never gets old!! 5th time and loving it!”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #13 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Birmingham, Alabama
“It never gets old!! 5th time and loving it!”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We love CSA! I've read some of the reviews and must say that it takes a certain couple to really appreciate CSA and it's relaxed atmosphere! We vacation with another chain in presidential suites with butler service and are so spoiled by that but when we come to CSA we know it will be laid back with no problems and no butler service ;) This was my all time favorite room 2232 beachfront suite overlooking the beach bar - we listened to the waves every night and had some amazing sleep!! The room was the same as an atrium but has no hammock - instead there is a lounger that hubby loved to use to read in! No problems at all! We love going back and seeing so many friendly faces from previous trips! Sea Grapes sushi and snapper did not disappoint!! Loved the curry goat and oxtail...pizzas at Patios were great! And our all time favorite LemonGrass (thai) was better than ever!! We enjoyed hanging out with Ultimate Chocolate and Teno at Aura Lounge! Couples massage was heavenly and loved relaxing in the hydro pool afterward. Smoothies at the health bar were like adult ice cream! Met a lot of great people who return the same week every year and we plan to do the same next year. We love January in Jamaica - the weather was awesome - a front came in one day and I actually had to wear socks! Probably my most favorite experience this time was the private catamaran cruise with Captain Max! We spend a few hours sailing up the coastline listening to reggae and enjoying the scenery and each other! Props to Mark & Mitch Toren at TripGuy Travel.com for another great trip!!

Room Tip: Atrium are great and typically you can still see some ocean but we really enjoyed Beachfront 2232!
3 Thank amandabgraves

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,456)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Woodstock, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Just returned from Couples Swept away January 3-13 2014.Only negative comment is the room we had was a bit noisy from the street traffic other than that it was superb. Of all of the all -inclusive resorts we have been to this one is by far the quietest/laid back/stress free one we have enjoyed.
The security guards on the beach keep the beach venders at a distance which makes for a hassle free day on the beach.
The resort has a NO TIPS policy.
Meals where great.
Did not have one bad meal.Staff very friendly and helpful.
Mini bar stocked daily
Did the couples massage- well worth the price.
Beach is awesome!
Defiantly will return !

6 Thank fred s
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Okay, background: my husband 37 and I, 38 have traveled around quite a bit - St. Lucia, Mexico, Aruba, St. John/Thomas. We've stayed at semi-inclusive resorts and we both food snobs and cheap as hell. I planned this vacation as a gift to us after having 4 kids in 6 years - heck, we needed the rest! So I started researching and researching and RESEARCHING. I can not understand why anyone would give this place anything but 5 stars:
ARRIVAL/DEPARTURE: Fly in on a Thursday morning and there are no crowds, no lines and no problems at the airport. Had enough time to change clothes, grab a beer at the Couple's lounge and off we went in our bus. Bus ride is no worse than any other inner city cab experience, roads were windy but fine and driver was safe and polite. Tip him. Flew out, same thing, except we used Club Mobay and that is TOTALLY worth the money, free great food, drinks and peace prior to leaving heaven.
CHECK IN/ROOM: Check-in was a breeze, cool towel, champagne, your room will be ready in a few hours, go grab a drink and some food and check back, leave your luggage here with us. Simple, friendly and easy. Room was 4318, top floor beachfront verandah suite. It was clean, nice and perfect. Minibar was stocked with drinks and everything was put together for ease. Loved it. Not sure why people complain about them either - sure our room wasn't the Ritz in Boston, but...um...we didn't go to the Ritz in Boston? I think after walking around any room would be fine, we'll probably stay in a garden verandah next time just so we can afford to stay longer.
FOOD: The variety at all meals is amazing. So here's the rundown for first timers: PALMS: buffet for breakfast/lunch/dinner and it's all good. Nightly entertainment which is quality and good local options. No real dress code, just needs shirt and shoes. Loved it. PATOIS: menu breakfast/lunch/dinner, same dresscode, less selection, a bit more italian things. LEMONGRASS: thai/asian fusion, needs reservations and only dinner. Not our thing, we have eaten a lot of thai and will skip this next time we come. FEATHERS: fancy menu, long pants for men, closed toe shoes and shirts with collar, VERY VERY NICE and worth it! Cabana Grill next to Patois, patties (try one or six) and grill/bar food. Open late and good for snacking. Veggie Bar next to Palms, amazing fish tacos and fresh foods, not only vegetarian items, totally worth it! Eat eat and be merry. If you can't find something you like, you should stay at home. Ate my weight in fresh fish and callaloo - if you don't know what something is, try it, 99% of the time I loved it.
EXERCISE/SPA: Wow, what a complex. Played tennis with my husband, had a great time. Went to the spa and had an unbelievable massage from Michelle, everyone should request her. Pedicure by ?Camilla? was really impressive as I brought her winter Virginia feet and they were NOT pretty.
BEACH: Venders do not bother you. They hawk their stuff "Check out my carvings!" and keep walking. I sat comfortably in my lounger which was easy to find and watching the surf. My drinks were kept filled by lovely beach bar staff (GO CEDRICK!) and if they were busy it was like 8 feet to the nearest bar. I've actually never felt as safe on a foreign beach - we walked it one day all the way down and a polite "no thank you" worked every time - they weren't angry you didn't buy something but they were happy you were polite. Sand fleas got me at some point and it wasn't bad - think it was one night when we were walking home from dinner. Water was peaceful and it was considered choppy while we were there. Didn't do much water sports as the wind kept that closed up...didn't care though!

OVERALL - do not understand the haters. Just pack your stuff, grab your passport and go. People were extremely nice. Staff was always friendly, all you had to do was smile and say good morning and even someone who may have been in a grumpy mood smiled and cheered up. Guests were all very nice, mostly midwesterners and Canadians while we were there. All happy to be warm and relaxed.

I even had to go see the nurse who was friendly and competent. Thought I had a fishbone stuck in my throat, was just my laryngitis coming back...stupid winter

SUGGESTIONS: I think the reservation situation at the tennis courts is off a bit: had some challenges making reservations for courts only to come over and see 5-7 courts empty consistently. Same problem with reservations for restaurants but not as extreme. Maybe put some toppers on your mattresses, they were a bit hard, but nothing a few red-stripes or Jamaican Jewels couldn't fix. I think the angry chef at the Lemongrass needs some zoloft. ;) (wait until you see him...he's the only unhappy person at Couples).

Just go. We have never been people to repeat a destination but are already planning our return next year. Feel free to PM me with specific questions and I will give you honest answers!

Room Tip: Don't stress over it. Neighbors are quiet and respectful, each room has it's own charm.
10 Thank ecm6p
Bournemouth England.
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We first came here in December 2012 and liked it so much that we came back here to get married. The best all inclusive resort we have ever been to and would reccomend to others. Our wedding which was very easy to organise was on the beach and we couldnt have had a more perfect day exactly what we wanted and helped along by our lovely wedding planner Priscilla. The food and drink here as well as the beach and sports complex are all fabulous and the staff in general are friendly and helpful. We probably wont return this year as we like to go to different places but we will certainly look to return in the future

• Stayed December 2013
4 Thank Lucky6328
Dorking, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2014

This was our first time to CSA, but our 5th trip to Jamaica. Usually we have travelled independently and had to take taxis etc to smaller and cheaper hotels. This was definitely worth splashing out on, as the transfer process is seamless and easy, and we "switched off" from the moment we stepped on to the plane until the second that we left. The service is good, the food is excellent, especially in Feathers and the Thai restaurant. The beach is beautiful, gently sloping into the clear blue water. Unlike several other reviewers, we had no issue at all with beach hawkers and musicians who have obviously been told to stay by the waters edge and did so. Even leaving the resort's own beach for walks, we found no pressure and a polite "no thanks" deterred all of them immediately. The property is well maintained, clean and luxurious, but not in an old fashioned brass and marble type of fashion. The nature walk is really worth doing, the hotel grounds contain a huge array of plants and palms, and the herb garden is lovely - we even saw humming birds. We would certainly return to CSA.

8 Thank LezzieB
Shakopee,MN
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

We went to CSA over Thanksgiving for my husbands 60th birthday. We went with our 3 sons and their wives. My husband and I have been going to Jamaica for years and have stayed in many different places on the island. We love Negril and CSA is our favorite place to stay there.
Check in went smoothly for all of us. They worked with me and got all of our rooms in the same area. My husband and I always stay in an Atrium Suite. We love the shuttered windows and large patio with hammock. We wanted a first floor room and none were available in the building we wanted so we took a second floor room. The room was so beautiful and our ocean view was breathtaking. We will request this room in the future.
Housekeeping did a great job with our room. We gad no bugs no problems with anything in the room.
I had done the online check in and our room was stocked with everything I had asked for in the mini bar. Our mini bar was stocked every day with the things we requested.
Because we had such a large group I e-mailed the hotel about 2 weeks before our trip and got our reservations for the restaurants and the cat cruise all set up. When we checked in they had an envelope waiting fir her with all if the confirmation slips in it. Very nice!
We enjoyed all of our meals. We ate at every restaurant. The food was good at all of them! We really enjoyed Patios and Lemongrass. We had excellent service everywhere.
We enjoyed the nightly entertainment. Casino night, the Piano Bar, the nightclub, the steel drum band and bonfire. During the day we enjoyed the beautiful beach and crystal clear water. We never had a problem with the beach vendors and thought that security did a great job of keeping them away from people. We also did the cat cruise. It us always a great tine. The boys all went scuba diving and really enjoyed their experience. We went on The One Live Pub Crawl and really enjoyed it. We highly recommend it!
It was a great trip! My husband really enjoyed his 60th birthday celebration and we can't wait to go back to CSA.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank kapond
Plum, PA
Reviewed January 20, 2014

First time to Jamaica. This was the best place we've ever been. Traveled with wife first week on January. As others have said, this resort is not marble and chandeliers. Stayed in a beach front veranda room - I think. We were on the 2nd floor and only steps from the beach. Actually one of the 2 beach bars was directly between our room and the beach. Perfect location. Room is very simple. Bathroom is very basic - tub-shower combo. Room was kept very clean and the bar & refrigerator was kept stocked. Nice big balcony. View of the ocean was obstructed by palm trees but it was nice because it gave us some privacy.

Beach is awesome. There are a lot of vendors walking up and down, but we didn't find them to be a problem. Had to laugh that the business model here seems to be Jet Ski's and Weed. Or 'Beads and Weed." Vendors did not bother us at all. In fact we kind of enjoyed them and I bought a CD off one the musicians and I've been listening to it. Sounded better when he sang it on the beach but it's OK.

Water sports are included. I wake-boarded almost every morning, snorkeled 3 times (ask them to take you to the part of the reef they call 'Mexico' - much better than the 'Cuba' area), and attempted windsurfing. We took the party cruise to the cliffs. It was fun. There was a Rastafarian musician on the boat that got things going. My wife and I swam thru the cave after guzzeling a few rum punches which was interesting.

Restaurants were all good. We did not eat at Lemon Grass. There are 2 non-reservation restaurants and they were both really good. One is buffet and the other is a regular table service. Plus there is a grille that has food all the time. Food everywhere was good and we didn't really feel the need to make a reservation and get all dressed up.

Bars were excellent. Red Stripe. mixed drinks and the red wine was all good. My wife didn't like red stripe so I asked the conceriage to get her a case of miller lite and it was no problem Expensive - but not a problem.

Pools and the pool bar - forget about it. If you want to sit in a pool or at a pool bar my advice is go somewhere else. I was at the pool bar long enough to get a beer and that was it.

Service at this resort is excellent. Special shout out goes to my buddy Frazier - bartender at the main bar at Patios. Great guy - made a point of learning our names and remembering what we drank. Give him a raise. .

All of the employees we encountered were terrific. If you ask anyone directions, they stop what they're doing and walk you where you want to go. I had to tell them to just point a few times because I really didn't them to walk me there. We asked one of the housekeepers for an extra chair. One showed up the next day. Everyone I met that worked there seemed very happy to be working there and more importantly were happy we were there.

We made some friends (Matthew and Jeff and their lovely wives) and hiked down the beach to Margeritaville - fun to get out and great company - but kind of a waste of money. We felt safe even returning up the beach after dark. My wife and I went off campus another time to a bar down the beach and I bought a local a few beers and we talked for awhile. . I felt safe - but I did make a point of saying that I only had $ 20. Probably would not recommend carrying a lot of money or jewelry. Rarely saw the Police. Security at the resort is excellent.

We were never able to stay up past 8 PM so I have no idea what the nightly entertainment is like. Slept with door open a couple nights and I got a zillion mosquito bites - don't do that !

In Jamaica there is no language barrier and the tap water is OK to drink. That's significant.

This resort is 1/4 mile long and 3 or 4 buildings deep so it's very spread out. The resort at 95% capacity did not feel crowded at all., This place may not be for everyone and I can see how it could be too 'rustic' for some. For my wife and I - it was perfect. .

Room Tip: BFVS - for us it was worth the extra money, but all of the rooms seemed fine I would not stress abo...
4 Thank Flophouser
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Sandy Haven Resort
Hedonism II
#17 of 81 in Negril
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!