“Engaged Here on my stay dec 21-28th 2013”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #14 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Montreal, Canada
“Engaged Here on my stay dec 21-28th 2013”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Stayed here Dec 21-28th 2013. I'll Start by saying I had read prob a thousand reviews on this place before we booked. Met all of my expectations. The beach is AMAZING. Worlds biggest bathtub. Calm calm waters. Floated around endlessly for hours on end day after day.

The staff is above and beyond. The food was the best I've had for all inclusive. The drinks. well no one will complain they don't make them strong enough. I actually had to request them to make them a little lighter.

If you get a chance to go into Negril itself. Sweet Spice is a very nice place to get some authentic Jamaican food off the resort that is not very far to get too. Took about 10mins to get there and 10 to get back.

As far as the restaurants Patois was my favourite all around breakfast lunch and dinner. banana stuffed French toast for breakfast( to die for). Pineapple jerk pizza for lunch ate it every day. or had them make one and took it back to my room. feathers would be 2nd on the list. at the end of the day all of them were above what you would expect for an all inclusive.

Romantic bonfires on the beach were relaxing. Nightly entertainment seemed. rather slow. But most nights I was tired enough that I was out like a light by 10pm. Noise that people complain about wasn't bad. Was in building 10 right beside the road and patois. the noise from the road didn't bother me nearly as much as the crickets. And let me tell you for what your getting the crickets don't matter at all lol.

As far as stuff included to do with the resort there is more than you can do in a week from scuba to catamaran or shopping trips. I would Suggest you only pick a couple of them if you're only there 7 days and really spend your time enjoying one of the best beaches in the world.

Some of the staff that deserves mentioning. If you get a chance to ever meet marlene at the patois bar. Make sure to say hi to her. She will make your trip. Shaun at the beach bar another fantastic worker with a great personality.And Jarvis the cook from seagrapes. Had him cut me open a coconut every afternoon. fantastic. fish tacos are a must. And Friday night Jamaica night at the palms or on the beach the buffet is all authentic Jamaican food. Curried goat, Oxtail. stew beef. don't miss it. I'm sure I missed a lot of things.I can understand why so many people I've met continue to go back year after year. It is the relaxing resort of resorts, A great place to get married spend an anniversary or simply take some time away with a loved one.

Sean Ramsingh and Katherine Liautaud, Were Engaged here on the beach Dec 27th 2013.

Thanks you for the fantastic vacation I will be back.

Room Tip: stayed in room 4104 20 feet from patois. and 50 feet from the beach loved it. close to the road real...
2 Thank Sean R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,438)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Loved Couples! From the beautiful beach to the great rooms to the amazing service! I was sooooo impressed!! Vacation of a life time!Totally enjoyed the food at all the restaurants but particularly loved Patois! Was there for my birthday Nov.27 and it was just great!! OUr lovel;y waitress was Nichola and another little waitress named Antoinette was giving her a hand!Theymade my night sooo great!!! Best birthday ever!!!!Have to mention the lady who was at thje door. Didn,t catch her name but she was so friendly and helpful and had a real sense of fun! Just loved her! All I can say about Swept Away was that this an incedible resort and we will definitely be back as soon as we can!You definitely get your money,s worth here!Check in and check out was marvellous! Such friendly staff and what a breeze!Fastest, most friendly check out at any resort hotel in Negril ever!We have been coming down to Jamaica for 25 years and stayed avery many places but Couples was the ultimate!!!!!!Totally loved our experience from beginning to end! See ya soon Couples! Much love----Sally & Larry

Room Tip: Stay colser to the rooms mid garden. Will be more private!
2 Thank sallyp520
Laconia, New Hampshire
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Are 5th visit to CSA, we have been other places and have yet to find a place with a beach and watersports that compares to this resort. It is an older resort but the people who work on the resort are very nice and helpful. If we ever have a concern we talk to a team leader or manager which are always available and your concerns are resolved promptly.

Room Tip: Atrium suites, 2nd floor, away from the Palms, it can be noisy. Its the older side of the resort but...
Chicago
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Just writing review now, we were there in October. The location in the beach is beautiful! The beach is extremely well manicured. Normally my husband and myself are not fans of all inclusive, but we went with friends. The food was a little better than most ho hum all inclusive food. The beverages were good. The smoothies at the spa were awesome!

The rooms were my only issue. We had an ocean front verandah room. The bed was hard. The bathroom is in need of updating. Our room regardless of just being cleaned never felt clean.

Be careful of the sand fleas. We have been all over the Caribbean and Mexico. However this was the first time I have ever been bitten. Awful! Miserable! Itching lasted for weeks. Also lots of jellyfish. Fifty percent of the people in our group had to get peed on.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jpod1
Couples Swept A... M, Manager at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Thanks for your comments. We have just completed renovation on 60 of our rooms with more to come starting in May of 2014. I am sorry that the sand flies made your stay uncomfortable but it is always wise to bring or purchase here on property any necessary incest repellant. Jellyfish are not in abundance in Negril but if there are weather conditions that make for a more choppy sea this will sometimes bring them closer to shore.
Looking forward to hosting you again in the future.
Tulsa, OK
Reviewed December 26, 2013

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at CSA after we got married the week before. We are 25 and 28 and we were by far one of the youngest couples there. I don’t know how I didn’t know the age difference before I got there, but I guess no one thought to mention it. If you are a younger couple, just be sure you know that! No one treated us differently or anything, but it would have been nice to have a few other couples our age to hang with.

Check-In: Check in was unfortunate. We had just got married down the street at the Riu Palace Tropical Bay, who got us in immediately when we arrived, so I was disappointed when we had to wait FOUR hours to be checked in at this hotel. I do realize that check-in isn’t until 3, but we had to check out of the Riu by 11 so we had no choice but to go over to CSA at that time. Again, I do realize check-in technically isn’t until 3, but we let them know we were there at 11 and they let all the maids know. If you saw how quickly they cleaned out the rooms, you would see my confusion on how it took 4 hours to clean a room for us, especially when they knew we were there to celebrate our honeymoon. We kept thinking we were about to be checked in, if we would have known, we would have put our swimsuits on and at least enjoyed the afternoon at the hotel. We had requested the 1st or 2nd floor in building 4 but after 4 hours we just took the 3rd floor in another building just so we could put our stuff down. I was pretty disappointed in check in to say the least, especially when they knew we were honeymooning.

Rooms:
These rooms were very nice-especially coming immediately from the Riu that had VERY cheap bedding, hard beds and flimsy pillows. We spent about 3/7 days just lounging in the room watching TV. We had just spent a week partying and preparing for our wedding the week before, so it was nice to have a comfortable room to relax in a bit. The only complaint i have is that there isn't a door on the shower, and even though it has a drain on the floor, it still leaks heavily. I called the first day on this and he said "just put some towels down" I said is it going to leak every day? And he said "ya mon". like it was just customary and normal lol it wasn't the end of the world, i just think it was definitely not thought of design-wise. And we were in one of the new rooms so i was just surprised. We just asked for 2 extra towels a day and it wasn't a problem.

Service:
The service here is AWESOME. It was really nice to go to a resort that didn’t accept tips, after the pushiness at the Riu the week before. I hope they get paid more at CSA though, because they did deserve the tips. I was told by another couple that they are patted down before/after work to be sure they didn’t take any tips, anything from guest rooms, etc. so it keeps the honest folks honest, and you don’t have to worry about anything coming up missing. For a staff that doesn’t accept tips, I was SHOCKED at the outstanding service. They really act like they live to make you happy, everything is about you and what you need right that very second. When we asked if we could help with the luggage being moved to the 3rd floor, he said “No mon, you need a Jamaican workers permit to do any type of work here!” And that really is the attitude they have, that they are appalled that you are trying to lift a finger! It was very refreshing. I can see why people would want to come back here year after year.

Pools:
The pools were really small. I’m used to huge pools at hotels though, so maybe they aren’t bad for everyone. The swim-up bar was the one we were at the most, for obvious reasons but it was also close to our room so the convenience of that was nice. The other pool I felt was empty 99% of the time unless they were doing a scuba lesson, and was also super small.

Food/Drinks:
The food/drinks were fantastic. Top shelf everything and the wine they served didn’t taste like water like how I usually feel it tastes at other all-inclusive resorts. I had a salmon omelet every morning, the fish was super fresh and just all around delicious. I think it was Saturday that all the restaurants had lobster, that was amazing too. Don’t forget to ask for desert at dinner, it usually isn’t on the menu but they have 3-4 choices every night. The little area over by the pool has some really good beef tacos, even though the beef there tastes like lamb-super strange. Pretty sure it is lamb. All of the beef tacos I had tasted identical to gyros, even down to the sauce. As you’ve probably read, the fish tacos at Seagrapes were amazing, we didn’t even realize Seagrapes was there until the 2nd to last day though-bummer.

Activities:
We did the OneLove bus tour and the catamaran booze cruise-both a MUST! The OneLove bus pub crawl was our favorite. It’s free; you just need to tip the awesome driver Lenbert! He is a great tour guide and I’m so glad they still offer this for free because it really is an amazing experience. All the stops are super authentic and by the end of the tour everyone was having a VERY good time lol if you want to do that just email Lenbert at bananaznegril@hotmail.com or call him at 876-874 6631. The catamaran booze cruise was kind of a disappointment, we had done almost the exact same tour at the Riu the week before, but we actually got to stop at Rick’s café to jump off the cliffs, eat, etc., and we got to snorkel. This booze cruise just takes you by Rick’s to look, and no snorkeling. This one was also free though, vs. $50 at the other hotel. We had met a few other couples our age though, so we still had a great time.

If you have any questions just let me know! All-in-all we probably won’t return but not because it’s a horrible hotel, just wasn’t really our thing.

Room Tip: If you have the money, the beachfront rooms looked AMAZING, but all rooms are good. We had the lowes...
2 Thank eweisz
Couples Swept A... M, Manager at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Congratulations on your recent marriage and we are happy that you spent your honeymoon with us! We are sorry that you had challenges with check in but the more specific the request the greater is the potential for longer wait times as we would not be able to accommodate you with whatever room is first ready and available in your room category. Our pools are not the main focal point of our resort because we are on one of the best beaches in the world! We do have a large lap pool at our Sports Complex for those guests that prefer a quite relaxed pool away from it all. Our clientele at this time of the year tend to be our more mature guests where as the opposite is true during the summer and fall months but we have quite a mix depending on what time of the year you are here. We would love you to come back, maybe at a different time of year, meet new friends and make Couples Swept Away a regular stop on your vacation calendar.
SANTAROSA
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We spent 10 days at CSA in Nov. It was our 12th stay and found it to be just as wonderful as our first time several years ago. The resort is low key in many ways yet elegant in others. The food is excellent, varying from Asian to Carribean, to White Glove Continental.
I particularly enjoy SCUBA diving and it is excellent at CSA. The dive staff is non-parallel, exceptionally friendly and very competent. The Resort specializes in athletic facilities with multiple tennis courts always staffed by visiting pros. There is an Olympic sized lap pool and a very large workout facility with all of the latest equipment.
Every staff member is well trained and best of all, the friendliest people on Earth.

1 Thank BILLANDRENE
Dubuque
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We have only been to Sandals resorts in Jamaica in the past, and those are the resorts we will return to.
Customs was a breeze, the Couples lounge was relaxed but they could jazz it up a little. It just appeared as if they don't really care how they come across, and that feeling is felt at the resort as well. Our shuttle driver got us to the resort in about an hour and a half; he didn't say boo the entire ride- we are used to the driver being jovial and informative.
Check in was great- cool towel, glass of sparkling wine, and a sincere welcome! We were taken to our room, which was an Atrium suite, room 1125. It looked amazing! We could actually see a bit of the ocean from our patio, and we were literally 15 steps from the Palms restaurant, which turned out to be not such a good thing, more on that in a little bit.
The beach was just like on a post card, absolutely gorgeous, and extremely well kept- props to the staff who raked and buried seaweed daily! Unfortunately, the beauty faded as the constant drone of the peddlers and drug dealers started the wear on us. It is true that if they approached you and you said no thanks that they would leave you alone, but they still walked the beach from sunrise to sunset yelling, "check out my hand carvings, check out my hand work," and "cigars, cigarettes," and "beads, I got your beads here," and parasail, jet ski" and I mean ALL DAY. Then you walk through the resort and there are vendors set up selling the exact same crap, hitting you up each time you walk by. So annoying.
The food was really redundant. It was always the SAME thing rehashed with a different sauce or gravy over it. The best meal for both of us was at Lemongrass- my husband does not like Thai, but this meal was good. Feathers is considered to be the "fancy" restaurant- what a laugh. It looks like something from Miami in the 80's, and the food was by no means exceptional. The palms was the buffet restaurant for breakfast, and it was pretty limited as far as selection, even for fruit, which we have always found in abundance at other resorts. The restaurant is huge, and they completely spread out the food to make it appear as if there is a lot to choose from. It got very old very quickly. We did indulge in dinner on the beach on one evening, and please, don't waste the $170. Our waitress disappeared for 20 minutes at a time, never offered to refill our water, and didn't bring me coffee at desert (to be honest, I asked for coffee at Feathers as well and it was not brought to me there either) She didn't even come back after she gave us our dessert. We sat there for 20 minutes and finally just got up and left. Unacceptable by anyone's standards. In fact, the entire staff seemed to be just as concerned about how much they were enjoying themselves as much as they were concerned with us. They were ALWAYS nicewhen we asked for something, but there just seemed to be something off. They were for sure there to have a good time with each other. One of the bartenders at the sunset bar was telling the guests about a girl on the beach that had "the fattest best a%* he had ever seen and he couldn't stop staring at her." SO TACKY.
Our room- Seemed like a great choice. The bed was comfy. That's where it stopped. The walls and ceilings are paper thin. I was sitting on the bed on the first day just going through the resort info, and I heard a sound like water leaking. I headed toward he bathroom, and I realized it was our upstairs neighbor urinating in their bathroom. If I could hear that as plan as day, imagine what it sounded like while they were having "relations." We woke two mornings to smell sewage,and one morning to exhaust fumes.The staff at the Palms literally worked through the night and it was not unusual to hear them laughing and banging around at 3 am. We never had more than a lukewarm shower to start, and it was always running cold after 5 minutes. The entire resort needs a facelift- I'm not talking ceramic tile and pillars and over the top, I'm talking broken tiles, stained and cracked concrete around pools and Jacuzzis and serious paint jobs everywhere. It seems every person that we talked to that was a return guest had never been anywhere else, and I think that's why they rate it so high. They have nothing to compare it to. for a "romantic" couples resort, they sure skip on the romance and made us feel like we were just at any old all inclusive resort. Nothing special, and we feel there is no reason to return. What a disappointment and a waste of money.

9 Thank dimillage
I appreciate your feedback and have addressed your concerns with the managers.
We have a very loyal repeat clientele who have travelled extensively to several countries and continents and have also gone to other resorts in Jamaica as well and they still come back because they have found a niche here that is their preference above all others.
We treat all our guests with the same level of exceptional service and it is this that has in large part kept them coming again and again.
Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!