“Most beautiful Beach EVER!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #15 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
“Most beautiful Beach EVER!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

We went to CSA on September 14-21 for a vacation/anniversary. We decided to book CSA through our travel agent, since he, himself has been there 6 times. It took about a 2 hour ride to get to Negril from the airport in Montego Bay. When we got to CSA, we were immediately greeted with a cold, refreshing towel and some champagne. Check in was not too painful, however our room was not ready, so we went to the Palms to eat (a buffet style restaurant). I had the chicken curry and jasmine rice from the buffet....it was amazing!! We ate at all the restaurants on the property, the only restaurant I was not too impressed with was Lemongrass (a Thai restaurant that you have to have reservations for). Overall, food was very good!

Staff.....staff were very friendly and there were several that stood out of them all. The entertainment crew kept things super fun at night, Tamara, Alex, Travis, and Andre were a blast. We made some friends with the staff at various places, Kirk and Orionn from Feathers restaurant and Jermaine from Patois were super friendly and entertaining.

The room was very plain, but that didn't matter because we didn't spend much time in the room, however, it was very comfortable and exactly what we needed. The only thing I will say, and the reason why they are getting a 4 star versus a 5, is the walls are paper thin. You could hear EVERYTHING from your neighbor.

The Beach was amazing! Never crowded, the water crystal clear. They had these chairs on the beach with floats on top and we floated in the water during the day with drink in hand, and it was just awesome!

There were mornings where we felt the need to workout from indulging in dinner from the night before, so we visited the sports center located directly across the road and it was in tip top shape with a gym, swimming pool, tennis courts, track, and etc.

We took advantage of the all inclusive water sports and really enjoyed the snorkeling. The catamaran was also included and it was the first time we got to swim in caves.....beautiful!

I would highly recommend CSA to anyone that is ready for relaxation, romance and fun.

4 Thank Radar S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,415)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Ocean City, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

We spent a week at CSA. All in all, I would recommend this resort very highly. The staff was so friendly and genuinely seemed to care if you were enjoying yourself. Two exceptions to this would be the front desk staff and the concierge desk staff. They all seemed a bit aloof.

Anyway, I did not like our room. It was very dated, and rustic, although quite clean and the verandah was very nice. Over our shower were shutters, so you could see into the ceiling and there were boards and plastic bags of insulation just laying there. I felt this was unacceptable for the price of the room, but whatever. We were close to the highway, but that noise is nothing compared to the tree frogs. I think they could be used as some sort of torture.

The food was very good. We ate way too much. We enjoyed all of the restaurants and the restaurant staff at all the restaurants really attended to everyone's needs and really made everyone feel special. We did not enjoy Lemongrass' food as much as the food at the other restaurants, but the atmosphere is wonderful, as was the server. And the martini bar is up where Lemongrass is located, as well. One thing we did notice was that the dress code was not enforced at Lemongrass. My husband dutifully put on his big boy pants, but other men had shorts and t-shirts on. I felt this was unfair. It is open air, so it was warm. Either enforce the dress code or do away with it, altogether.

Seagrapes was amazing. The sweet potato chips, fish tacos, veggie burger with onion and tomato chutney and the roasted veggie sandwich were amazing. I could have eaten there everyday. We also enjoyed the Cabana Grill. The pizza was excellent as were the Jamaican patties. Yummy....

Features was very good, we ate there twice. We had lobster on Saturday night. It was good, and a good portion, too. Again, the staff was wonderful.

The other two restaurants were very good, too. The food was always fresh and delicious with just enough spice to make it very flavorful. Lots of fresh veggies and spices.

As everyone has mentioned, the beach is the best, simply put. The vendors start to wear on your nerves about day 3, but they are very respectful. We did have to go out every morning before breakfast to secure a cabana (around 7:30), which was no problem for us, as we are early risers. But, there are plenty of shaded areas as well.

So, aside from the room, I was very happy. They don't have a lot of things to do in inclement weather, so that kind of sucked, because it did rain every afternoon.

4 Thank ocsam
ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

this was our third visit to couples swept away,and i'm sure we'll be back.Like most of the hotels on the beach in negril couples is an older property.the buildings show some wear and the rooms show their age,but everything was clean and neat and the bed was comfortable.Being an older property means the grounds are full of mature plantings of exotic plants unlike so many of the newer resorts.the beach is awesome and bigger than any of the surrounding properties and there is never an issue finding your own spot with plenty of chairs,palapas,and palm trees.The food was great,deserts at the buffet were over the top-awesome,the snapper on coco bread at one beach grill,and jerk chicken at the other were hard to beat.Walk off the west end of the property and see the ladies wearing white for a good neck rub or massage.Jamaica is barter world,and everything is negotiable,beach vendors will always try to charge too much.The Jamaican people are great,can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Go for any kind of ocean view,we switched out of an atrium room near the back of the property,the...
1 Thank rockoman
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this resort from August very 29 till September 2 . So you know I been in a few resorts with my wife and I found that for the money you spend to go to CSA . Its not worth it !. Aside from the beach wich is awesome everything else it's just nice . service is very slow since they don't allow tipping wont get better any time soon.
The restaurants (feathers and lemon grass) were good , if you go try to get reservations for both as often as you can because the buffet and the other options are just below average .we will not return, but it may be something you wanna do at least once.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank phokulovius
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

I would rate CSA at 4.5/5 because it's certainly not perfect but it's close enough if you go with a laid-back mindset. We stayed for a week and easily could have remained for a month. There is so much to do or not do that we were in full relaxation mode almost instantaneously.

Airport:
We breezed through immigration (20-30 minutes) and made our way to the Couples Lounge which you can't miss. A host grabbed our bags and we checked in at the front desk which was as simple as verifying our name on a list of incoming guests. The Couples Lounge has a bar with soft drink or alcoholic beverages, clean restrooms and a large seating area. We waited about 10 minutes and our shuttle was ready to whisk us away to CSA. We tipped the baggage guy $5 and boarded the shuttle for the hour and 15 minute drive to Negril. Next time we may consider the 20 minute flight from Montego Bay to Negril but the shuttle drive (tipped the driver $10) was a good way to meet some fellow CSA guests. The only cash we spent was the $30 in tipping to and from CSA which was a nice change from other AI's.

Check-In:
We were shuttled with three other couples and greeted upon arrival with cold towels and champagne. We were all given some basic paperwork to fill out and then checked-in upon completion. I know we were fortunate based on other reviews but our rooms were ready around 1:30 pm. The front desk suggests stopping by the concierge desk to make reservations for Feathers, Lemongrass and the Catamaran cruise which we did and it was nice and easy.

The Room:
We had a Garden Verandah Suite and we were exceedingly happy. Based on some of the preceding reviews I had read my expectations weren't sky high but we were pleasantly surprised. The room was spacious, meticulously clean and had nice, cold air-conditioning. The patio was quite large and comfortably furnished. The lighting in the bathroom was a little dim as some other reviews have mentioned but aside from that it was an adequate bathroom with a standing shower in lieu of a tub. The Garden V Suites are at the back-end of the property which borders the main roadway along the coast of Negril and I can see that being an issue for some. It did not affect our sleep overnight but sleeping in until 9 or 10 in the morning could be problematic without earplugs. On vacation I'm an early riser and it paid off for a couple reasons during our stay: during hurricane season there is the threat of rain virtually every day and by rising early you can place your towels on the beach cabana chairs. Our only issue with the room was that our Wifi wasn't working the entire week. We called to have it fixed but unfortunately the technician was unable to get it working. No problem mon, it worked everywhere else on property including the beach.

The Beach:
Uh, perfect. The beach is raked daily and it is basically flawless. There are no shells, rocks or seaweed on the beach or the water. The only thing we had to look out for was a couple manta rays gliding through the crystal clear water. The chair mats which act as floats were one of my favorite aspects of the resort. As my wife and I floated on the mats each day, we sarcastically uttered how tough our life was at the resort. The green flag service wasn't especially effective but we had no problem dragging our lazy butts to the bar for drinks.

The Food:
For dinner we dined at Feathers twice and both times were met with fantastic meals. We each had lobster on Saturday lobster night and it was perfectly cooked. Lemongrass was a Thai fusion concept and we enjoyed the cuisine but it was probably our least favorite of the on-site restaurants. Our other four nights were split between the Palms and Patois and both were great. We ate at the Palms for International night and Beach Party night and were delighted with the selections which included jerk chicken, sauteed shrimp, braised oxtail, spicy marinated pork loin and many, many others. Patios is an off-menu restaurant and it was probably our second favorite with the Palms being a close third place.

For breakfast you can pre-order continental selections or you have the Palms buffet or Patois off-menu with the famous banana-stuffed French toast.

Seagrapes for lunch on the beach was probably our favorite choice with their awesome fish tacos and yummy sweet potato chips. Again, you have the Palms for a buffet option and then our least favorite but not bad was the Cabana Grill.

Sports Complex and Water Sports:
The sports complex is across the road from the lobby and it has everything you really need. I took tennis lessons every morning with Brenton and he helped correct some issues I've been having with my backhand. They offer tennis lessons, tennis clinics and round robin tournaments practically every day. They also have a delicious smoothie bar which is a great post-workout snack.

The Catamaran Cruise was a blast even for my pregnant wife. It's about a 2 hour ride along the coast and back with complimentary rum punch. The crew does expect a tip at the end because they are a privately-owned company but it's a no pressure situation. The water sports hut is open from 8 am - 4 pm and you have a plethora of options from water skiing, wake-boarding, kayaking, paddle-boarding or the Hobie cat sailboat. We also went snorkeling twice which you have to sign up for a day in advance.

Service:
It's Jamaica mon, so don't expect the hand and foot service that you may get in Mexico or the US. We found that the service in all of the restaurants was more than efficient with probably the best servers working at the reservation-only Feathers and Lemongrass. For the most part everyone was pretty friendly aside from maybe the bar service but they're working their butts off in the heat so give them a break. Don't expect to be pampered, go with the flow and everything will work out just fine.

As I stated at the beginning of this review, the resort is not perfect but who the heck is. You will more than get your money's worth and I highly recommend CSA. We will 100% be back.

Room Tip: We loved the Garden Verandah Suite because of the privacy aspect but if you are a light sleeper I wo...
7 Thank Sean D
Burnsville, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

I hardly ever write reviews, but this was a must! We stayed here for 5 days to celebrate our son's wedding. The accommodations and food were excellent, service was wonderful and the grounds were unbelievable! It was a little off season, so we had lots of attention. Our son stayed at Couples Negril .. ours was better. The beach was well maintained and the guards kept the riff-raff out (drug dealers mostly). It was a superb vacation. My hat's off to All Inclusive Vacations for booking this for us! They were fabulous as well.

Room Tip: I would not stay at the Atrium on the property. No elevators. If you need easy access then make sure...
1 Thank Kate J
Southwest Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at Couples Swept Away. It was our first time out of the country, and we were a little nervous about the experience. We were looking for an all-inclusive resort that would make us forget about everything else back in the states... Couples Swept Away delivered everything we had hoped for and then some.

It was truly the best week of our lives, and we could not have been more relaxed and happy if we tried. The staff was truly amazing and made us feel special.

At first, I was a little scared of the price, but after considering everything we got from Couples, it turned out to be an absolute deal. I'm now a full believer of all-inclusive resports, and from what I can tell, it doesn't get much better than Couples Swept Away.

My wife has already been asking me when we can go back. I can't wait!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rye A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,749 reviews

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!