“Couples swept away measures up - great value.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Winnipeg, Canada
“Couples swept away measures up - great value.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

We just returned from a wonderful week at this resort. We got a fabulous deal with Air Canada vacations so that really helped!
Some background - we have visited several tropical destinations - including Costa Rica (Marriott), Bahamas (The Cove Atlantis), Mexico (Barcelo Palace), Jamaica (Sandals, Couples Tower Isle), Florida (Marriott) - so I will provide a few comparisons. I will try not to repeat too much what others have already stated.
What we LOVED about this resort -
1. Sports facility - we visited this resort specifically for the tennis and it exceeded our expectations - 10 beautiful courts in a very tropical setting with many trees to provide shade (many other resorts we drove by like Sandals had courts out in the open blazing sun) - - private lessons with great tennis pros - thanks to Brenton and David - and great tennis clinics every morning tailored to different tennis levels with a different visiting pro every week - also excellent - Besides tennis there was a nice (but not excellent gym) with the option of a personal trainer - that's a nice touch - a beautiful lap pool and a great smoothie bar for when you are done your workout. This was an incredible value when you think that private tennis lessons alone are worth at least $60 per lesson and I had one every day and clinics are generally $35/clinic. That's almost $100/day in tennis alone. This is by far the best facility we have ever experienced at a resort.
2. The food - this was also very important to us and I spent alot of time selecting a resort that had good food reviews - again we were not disappointed in this. We really liked that there were NON buffet options for every meal - other resorts we have been to did not have this option - this really made this resort stand out. The quality of the food was excellent at every meal - perhaps not the vast variety that we have seen at other resorts like the Barcelo- but we would rather have less variety with better quality - when we did eat at the buffet - the selections were always very tasty and very fresh tasting - great salad bar for lunch. I have a very sensitive stomach and I had NO trouble with any of the food during the entire week. The food at Feather's was particularly outstanding - not to be missed - we ate there twice and wished we could have sampled everything on the menu - speaking of menus - they change on Thursdays - this is a nice feature - because you can eat at restaurants several times and never get tired of the food! The wine was passable at best - but the wine at the Barcelo Mexico was MUCH worse so we were satisfied! This was definitely the best all-inclusive food we have had. The cost of the food when we stayed at the Cove Atlantis was over the top expensive but the quality was very much the same ($35pp for the buffet breakfast plus tax and tip- granted the selection was vast and it was lovely, but way more than any one person needed) - - so we felt that the value/quality of this food was A+.
What we LIKED about this resort.
1. Definitely a beautiful beach - but we the beaches we have seen in the Bahamas and Mexico (Mayan) were equally as nice. We love to walk the beach, but prefer a more "secluded" atmosphere when we walk - and this is not like that - very populated beach as far as you walk. Some of the warmest water that I have been in in the tropics and I am VERY fussy about warm water - it was lovely.
2. The room - definitely not the fanciest room we have been in (The Cove Atlantis wins that award), but we don't care about fancy so we were very happy with the room - clean and well appointed - just not fancy. The bed was comfortable but again, not the most comfortable hotel bed we have slept in (Marriott wins for that). We had a look at a room in a smaller very nice "boutique" resort down the beach - room was comparable - but the resort had nothing else to offer but a VERY small area of beach and a small very basic restaurant - the rooms there were $250/night - no meals no nice grounds, no sports facility, no pool, no nothing - so that may give you an idea as to the value of the room at couples - the room alone should be worth at least $300 or more per night, plus meals, plus tennis, plus drinks, plus all the water sports - do the math - it's good value.
3. The grounds - loved all the palm trees and flowers - yes there were many beautiful flowers - not manicured flower gardens, but beautiful tropical flowers growing naturally - we loved strolling along the pathways and seeing so many varieties of palm trees. Many newer more contemporary resorts have a much more "spartan" approach to landscaping and we prefer the more mature tropical foliage that this resort had to offer.
What we did not love about the resort (only if I am being very picky - I don't want to sound like I am really complaining)
1. We booked a garden room (all that was left with the deal) - we were prepared for noise - but I did not think it would be quite as noisy as it was. I did get used to it so it didn't interfere with my sleep - however it just seemed to take away from that "tropical feeling" that we have had at other resorts (except at Atlantis which is like the Disney resort of the Bahamas)- You could hear the traffic all the time when you were walking in many parts of the resort and sitting on your balcony - I mean the highway is REALLY close to the resort particularly at the end of the resort where Feather's is - the lobby area there is very open to the road -- and it is a very busy highway - we do prefer to be a bit more isolated and quiet - but keep in mind that all resorts in this area are along this same highway and have the same problem - it's not just a Couples problem - Note that the rooms by the water do not hear any noise at all (but of course are much more expensive) - even some of the atrium rooms could potentially be a bit noisy.
2. Vendors on the beach - again, this just took a bit away from the tropical experience - no other resort we have been to had this issue - it just got to be a bit much after 7 days - not really the vendors, but the singers - again - just a bit annoying after hearing the same song several times a day every day while trying to read or take a nap. There is no way to avoid this if you sit on the beach.
Overall we LOVED our stay here - and would not hesitate to return here - we would not stay anywhere else in Negril that is for sure.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms will be the quietest.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank LeoW154954

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,395)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
New Marlborough, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went to CSA April 9-16,2013. We had a wonderful time!! We are new kind of new to the whole "all inclusive" thing. Last year was our first time. We went to a resort in Punta Cana. I will not say the name because after going to CSA it so pales in comparison! We had read a lot of reviews and went expecting some check in issues but somehow after not sleeping well the night before and being up since 4:00am and very travel weary,we were set off by our room not being ready.We had arrived around 1:30 and were not able to get into our room until almost 6:00!! They really have to work on improving check in. That night we wondered what we had gotten ourselves into. But we agreed to put that behind us and not let it spoil our vacation.
I will start with our room. We had a Garden Verandah room # 2105. It was a corner room on the first floor very close to the road. We did not have an issue with traffic noise at all, and my husband is a very light sleeper.Yes, it was a little dated but the bed was comphy ,everything worked well, it was clean.
The beach was amazing!! Clear clean water, you almost thought you were in a pool. You can float on the beach chair cushions. The staff would come around with skewers of fruit and a cold towel from time to time and of course you could put up your flag or walk to the bar to get a drink. Musicians would walk by and you could get them to sing for you for a few bucks. We bought a CD from the father and son group and are so glad we did.
The food was delicious everywhere! The menus changed from day to day so there were lots of options. You can't beat the breakfast buffet at the Palms. Every breakfast item you can imagine, waffles/ pancakes, made to order omelets, fruit ,pastries and so on and so on....Every dessert was like a work of art. But not just nice to look at, yummy too.
The majority of the staff were wonderful. There were a few grumps mixed in but maybe they were having an off day. We fell in love with Suzan at the Palms and Alex and Tamara from entertainment. I found Jamaican people to be warm and loving and beautiful.
The entertainment was awesome! They have a house band that has very well seasoned musicians and each night there would be different singers. One night was the Steel Drums and then contortionists, the beach Party night had a fire eater! They had the Jamaican Whitney Houston, she was wonderful. We did a lot of dancing. I so appreciated "live" music! A DJ just doesn't compare. We also made baskets and tye dyed T shirts. So much fun and a great way to get to know other guests.
I could just go on and on. Now I see why people come back! We met one woman who had returned 13 times! I splurged for a massage it was wonderful! Don't miss the glass bottom boat or the Catamaran cruise but if your prone to seasickness take something for it before you go. Swimming in the caves is awesome. I'm running out of adjectives!!
In conclusion despite the check in nightmare I would go back tomorrow. What's not to love!!!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank goodbyeberkshires
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

I just returned from csa and had an enjoyable week. I was worries about the rooms based on others reviews. The room was my favorite thing. I loved the balcony and privacy on my garden verandah. I took a Couple naps there when it rained. I liked the resort a lot. This was a relaxing trip and we didn't do much besides swim, walk the beach and eat too much. Food was good. Ate at patios for breakfast and cabana for lunch. Couple improvement suggestions. The jerk chicken wasn't as good as I expected here. The staff at seagrapes was too quiet an awkward silence almost. Lincoln and Damien/Stacy were cool at the bar. I would return again.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank letstraveln0w
Newport News, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wife and I just returned from our second trip to CSA. Prior trip was as smooth as could be. This one was not. Arrived in the early afternoon to find that our Atrium Suite was not ready. Advised to go eat lunch and return. Still not ready. Returned again and offered a day room. Finally got our room about three hours after arrival. Noise from road was immediately noted to be a problem. More due to room orientation and lack of glass than location. We were not that close to the road. No sleep on night one. Request for a new room was granted for the third night. Only moved one building and the noise vanished. Note to Management - You know which rooms are a problem, put glass in the windows. Also as others have noted, Atrium Suites are very dark, need more lights. Food was as good as before and the Dive Staff were great as usual. Still a great resort, but just a bit off. Attention to detail is all it would take.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Tfitz62
Oneonta, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband and I were at CSA 4/9/13 - 4/16/13, we had a fantastic vacation. The beach is wonderful, no problem getting shade or chairs (no cabana). Loved all the activity from musicians, and vendors on the beach. Did glass bottom boat, cat cruise, tye dying, basket making, snorkeling, enjoyed it all. Food was delicious, loved feathers, worth bringing pants. Our check-in was a little tough, workers in lobby weren't friendly. The staff on the rest of the resort were super, they made our vacation even better. Despite the check in, I would go back to this resort (we haven't done that before) and I would recommend it to others.

3 Thank Goingsoon918
New Orleans
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I celebrated our birthdays at Couples Swept Away on the famous 7 mile beach in Negril last November. We have been to Jamaica several times, including Sandals Negril a few years ago. We were happy with Sandals but decided to give Couples a try after seeing reviews on Tripadvisor. We were NOT disappointed.

The Couples greeting center at Montego Bay Airport is not as nice as Sandals', but we did get a cold drink and were soon wisked off on our 1 1/2 hr bus ride to Negril. I see a lot of people complain about this ride but we love the winding roads and the chance to see "real" Jamaican towns and markets.

On arrival, we were greeted with cold towels and the wives were brought to the check in area (I guess they know who is in charge). We arrived around 2pm and our room was not ready. Not a problem, as we were more hungry and thirsty after the trip in. We went to the cabana grill by the pool and had a great lunch (jerk chicken plate and meat pies). We stuck around the swim up bar and met the friendly bar tenders and had a bunch of good drinks (hint - do not let them talk you into the Bob Marley drink unless you are ready to go to sleep/pass out! My wife didn't remember getting back to the room).

We rented a beach walk out suite and were very happy with the room. Nothing too fancy but not too shabby either. The fridge was stocked with some drinks but make sure you fill out your restocking request on the first day you arrive. The bathroom was nice and clean. I have seen a bunch of reviews warning of ants and gnats, but we didn't have any problems (I guess November is a good month to avoid these nuisances).

We had room service breakfast the first morning on our beach front porch. Most other days, we would go down to the Palm for a great buffet.

We had dinner at both signature restaurants- Lemongrass and Feathers and were not disappointed at either (although Feathers seemed a bit rushed). Absolutely make sure to get reservations on the day you arrive for both of these restaurants! Both Patois Patio and the Palm had good dinner menus (we ate at each once).

Do not miss the Friday beach party! Lots of good food. Great beach side buffet. The entertainment was not all that but they tried hard.

We had several wedding parties in site while we were there and hung out at the piano bar with some of the honeymooners. The piano man (Hit Chocolate) was a delight and a must see. His protege who sang with him wasn't as entertaining but he tried hard. The adjoining disco is a bit small but it was fun. We also met a wonderful couple from Memphis and shared some excursions with them.

We also enjoyed movie night in the beach. Big screen TV with blankets and booze. The snorkeling was fun although the water was choppy the day we went. We also did the catamaran at sunset to Negril and Rick's Cafe. That was fun and a must do.

While the beach hawkers are plenty, a simple no thank you normally move them on. Don't be afraid of the beach. We walked down to Margaritaville (about a 10 minute walk) and enjoyed seeing the other resorts, restaurants and shops along the way.

We did take a cab to Rick's. Yes it is a bit of a tourist trap (overpriced and average food) but the Red Stripes were cold and the diving shows are spectacular. We didn't have the guts to jump ourselves but many tourists did. Looked like fun.

Bottom line - Negril, Jamaica is one of the prettiest beaches in the world. Couples Swept Away is almost dead center in the middle of it. You can't go wrong. Just remember Jamaica is Jamaica. Forget about crisp prompt snap to it service. RELAX and soak it all in.

Every ting is Arie!

• Stayed November 2012
4 Thank funinthesun95
Bealeton, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

Let me start with a little background. My husband went to CN 4 years ago, and before that trip I did a TON of research. We wanted a relaxing resort, that was not just a generic hotel that could be on any beach in the world. We were not at all disappointed with CN. So when my niece asked us to join them at CSA, I agreed with mixed feelings. I knew I loved the Couples brand, but would CSA live up to our expectations? Well, the answer is YES!, and then some!
We stayed for 8 nights, from March 30 - April 8, in an Atrium Suite. We did not have any view of the sea, but were surrounded by lots of foliage. Every night we were sung to sleep by the tree frogs, and every morning we were greeted by a variety of birds (a Dr. Bird or streamer tail hummingbird visited twice - I was very excited to see it) and lizards, as we sat on our patio enjoying our wonderful Jamaican coffee, fruit, and pastries. Our morning room service was delivered accurately and on time every day. The room was exactly as I expected, with screens and plantation shutters (glass on the atrium side, which adjoins the neighbor) and crisp white linens. Everything was in proper working order, from the lamps and fans to the shower and toilet. Yes, there was some dust on the fan, the lampshades are a little worse for wear, and the grout is discolored, but there was no mold or anything we found disgusting. As others have said, it is a rustic room, you will not find anything glamorous and shiny, but it is very comfortable and the housekeepers did an excellent job daily. As my husband has a back problem, we were probably in the room more than others, and even though at times we disrupted the housekeeping service, we were always taken care of with clean towels, a clean bathroom, and swept and mopped floors. A word of advice, bring a shower pouff, as the bath gel lathers much better than with the washcloth.

We found the Palm restaurant to be only average for breakfast and lunch, preferring Patois Patio for breakfast/lunch (banana stuffed french toast and the pizzas are great), or Seagrapes (sweet potato chips with a variety of dips) or the Cabana Grill (jerk chicken or jerk pork wraps-ask for extra meat) for lunch. One note regarding the Palm, some have stated there was little variety. We found that while the buffets were similar, they did offer a different grilled fish, carved meat, and salads daily. Also, it seemed that there was a 'theme' most days, which switched things up. That being said, it is still a buffet, and the other options offer a great deal more variety, with most menus changing after about 3 days.

The Cabana Grill was good for a change of pace, and I really enjoyed the jerk pork wrap. Of the two times we ate there, once the service was very fast, despite it being very crowded. But the next time it was pretty slow, even though it was not nearly as busy.

We loved Feathers, and ate there twice during our stay. The coconut shrimp were the best I've ever had. The service was perfect on both occasions, with just enough time between courses for some wine and conversation. Note: Yes, the portions are small, however, if you order a full 5 course meal with appetizer, soup, salad, entree and dessert, then it all comes out just right. We left feeling full, but not over stuffed or uncomfortable. Next time though, I WILL have to indulge in an extra serving of the coconut shrimp!

Lemongrass was our biggest disappointment of the week. While the service was great (we showed up early for our 9 pm reservation, asked for and received a table on the rail to watch the show) we were just not impressed overall with the food.

I read reviews which stated the food is under seasoned and bland. My feeling is that the food is seasoned far less than we are used to in many instances in the US. But my husband and I agreed, this was not a bad thing. The food was very fresh and good, and the scant seasoning allowed the natural flavors to be expressed. The coconut shrimp I had at Feathers was only very, very lightly breaded, with just enough coconut to enhance the flavor of the shrimp, rather than overpower it.

We never encountered a rude or unresponsive staff member. Yes, there were a few who were not as quick to smile or gush, but a kind word and a smile from us usually was enough to change that. The only people who seemed at all reluctant to help us, were the bartenders at the Palm. They seem to normally get their orders from the wait staff, but as we were sometimes sitting out on the pool deck watching the show (we are smokers), we would go up to order our own drinks. We were always served, but they did seem reluctant to do so.

I also want to address the complaint about the lack of flowers on the property. All I can say is that they must have not walked around at all, or else they were out of season.

We were not able to participate in any water sports (husband's back problem) but the staff there were always offering their services to us and others who passed by.

The beach was beautiful, and the staff was out early each morning raking up debris. My only complaint here is that while there are plenty of chairs, as others have said, you may just have to drag one to where you want it, the floats were not as plentiful. We were usually late comers to the beach, and really felt like we were getting the last two each time.

All in all, it was a very nice trip, which we would do again. As much as I hate to say it, I think I have a new love, and will have to relegate CN to the wonderful memories category as, moving forward we will probably return to CSA.

Room Tip: The frogs at night are LOUD. Being from the country, this did not bother me. In fact, I loved it...
4 Thank Cfetzer2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
#9 of 84 in Negril
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,711 reviews
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!