“Met Expectations” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Couples Swept Away

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Couples Swept Away
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Toronto
“Met Expectations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

We are a couple in our early 40s who have been to many resorts including: Iberostar Grand Rose Hall (Montego Bay), Sandals Grande St. Lucian (St. Lucia), Barcelo Maya Tropical (Mayan Riviera) and the Gran Bahia Principe (Punta Cana). We stayed at CSA from March 25-28th; just a short getaway while my parents cared for our toddler.

Our flight was delayed so we arrived at the resort at 10 pm. There was no electricity when we arrived, so we had to check-in by flashlight. It was actually somewhat comical, and the staff were doing the best they could under the circumstances. Because their computer system was down they had to send someone to confirm our room wasn't occupied.

We had requested a third floor Beachfront Verandah Suite and that is what we were provided. The room was very basic but matched out expectations as I had read many reviews of this resort. I would highly recommend the top floor as the view of the ocean was gorgeous and the second floor view was obstructed by the palm trees. The bed was comfortable enough, and the room was cleaned well everyday while we were on the beach.

I promptly attended at the conceirge desk at 8 am the morning after our arrival. Their reservations system was down and we had to return three times before we coud make a reservation. Due to their 48 hr rule, and the fact we were only staying 5 nights, we were only able to get one dinner reservation which was at Feathers. It was annoying but we really only missed one restaurant - Lemongrass.

The beach was beautiful, but not as deep as the beach in Punta Cana. The ocean was very calm most days and we could walk out quite far as the water is shallow. We really enjoyed using the chair cushions as floaties. My husband got up at 6 am everyday to secure a spot in the shade which we used later on in the afternoons. Spots in the sun were easy to find. We walked to Margaritaville one day which was less than a 10 min walk and one of the best Margaritavilles I have been to outside of Las Vegas.

Breakfast at the Palms was average, while the a la carte breakfast at Patois included some of the best meals we have had. I agree with all of the rave reviews of the banana stuffed French toast. My husband and I agreed it was the best French toast we have ever had. We ate lunch at the buffet (average), the Cabana grill (good) and Seagrapes (delicious). Two dinners at Patois which were great (alhough pizza I found to be average), and our dinner at Feathers was quite remarkable. Cocktails were consistently delicious. We didn't really spend any time at the piano bar.

On three occasions we did not have any running water in our room. Each time it only lasted 10 to 15 minutes, but it supported the sense that the place was in a general state of disrepair. The cabinets in our room had doors that did not close properly, and our in room AC worked well enough but it was very loud.

We found almost all of the staff to be very friendly, from the servers in the restaurants to those tending to the grounds and the beach. We didn't see any activities going on during our stay.

Overall, we had a wonderful 5 days. However, compared to other resorts we have visited and taking into account the price for CSA (with flights it cost us 1K per day), I think our money will go farther somewhere else. We enjoyed our stay but probably won't return.

Room Tip: Third floor beachfront verandah suite has a wonderful view.
7 Thank Idgie1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,396)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Let me start out by saying that everyone's experience is uniquely their own. We ran into guests who loved the resort and guests who were having just as difficult a time as we were. I was wary to even take a trip to Jamaica because my husband had heard from others that Jamaica was "the armpit of the Caribbean" but reading these reviews before we booked our trip convinced us that this place would be amazing. Unfortunately, we didn't agree.

Our vacation started out badly and didn't get much better as the days went on. The ride from the airport was a killer even though our driver was fantastic. When we finally arrived at the resort we were told that while they had our reservation they did not have a room for us. I felt like I was in an episode of Seinfeld. "You know how to take a reservation you just don't know how to hold the reservation. And the holding is really the most important part!" Ugh. They explained (and not very friendly or apologetically) that they were overbooked and they would give us a downgraded room. Their way of "making it up to us" was offering us $100, but it wasn't a reimbursement to us, it had to be used at the resort. We were so tired from traveling all day that we just wanted to get to a room so we just basically gave in.

The room they gave us was right on the road. No joke. And the room was so dark that we felt like we were in a cave. The shower had no hot water. It was so cold I couldn't even shave my legs or wash my hair. Also, the power went out for a lengthy amount of time. Yes, the rooms (and the resort) are shabby but we could have looked past that (we really aren't that picky) but with all the problems piled on top of it we were disappointed.

We immediately tried to sign up for the glass bottom boat tour and the catamaran since we were only there for four days, but everything was booked up so we never got to do any of that. It was pretty ridiculous.

The next day they switched us to our originally reserved room. It was better (there was hot water) but it too was warn down. Warning- bring earplugs if you intend on getting any sleep. The rooms have screens and plantation shutters on the windows but no glass so you really hear everything going on outside. People walking, birds, super loud insects at night, the trucks going by on the road (and our second room was in the middle of the resort), everything!

Also, at no time did anyone at the resort explain the layout of the resort, how to sign up for excursions, or give us ANY information about the resort. Thank goodness I read these reviews before leaving or we would have been completely lost. Usually upon arriving at an all inclusive the entire resort is laid out before you and all your options are explained. At CSA we were just shuffled off to our room without a word. I looked through all of the reading materials and nothing was explained in there either. Just a map. So odd.

I don't understand any of the reviews that say the food was outstanding. I am not picky in the least but the food was not great. The buffets were typical buffet food and that was fine. We did enjoy our meal at Feathers. The staff a bit more friendly there as well. And the hubby really liked the fish tacos at the hut outside of Palms.
However, our meal in Lemon Grass was absolutely horrible. I ordered Pad Thai and it was so dry and had no flavor to it at all. I couldn't even choke it down. My husband's food was equally as bad if not worse. We thought maybe there was something wrong with us (were we really that picky???) but as we left a large group of guests stopped us and asked us if we liked our dinner and when we were honest they all began saying how horrible it was. It wasn't just us. Not only that, Lemon Grass is supposed to be this romantic setting and right below us there was a steel drum band with dancers and it was SO LOUD that we couldn't even talk to each other or the waiter. And it wasn't typical relaxing steel drum it was POUNDING and with bass. And it went on for over an hour. Normally I would enjoy a good steel drum band but not during a romantic meal. It was crazy.

Again, I am mentioning all these things for full disclosure, but we could have dealt with them. The biggest problem to us was the service. Most of the time the workers stood around chatting with each other and seemed a little miffed when they saw that they had someone to wait on. This was upsetting for us because my husband and I are very outgoing and friendly and enjoy talking with locals when we travel. Part of the fun of traveling is experiencing other cultures. However, every time we went to the bar or a restaurant (or anywhere) we felt we had to be overly friendly and engaging just to get the staff to be semi friendly. It became pretty exhausting having to try and constantly get them to be friendly.

All that being said, the beach was gorgeous. Absolutely lovely. The sand was white and soft and the water was awesome. And there were hardly any bugs at all. There are a lot of vendors that go back and forth up and down the beach but they were more friendly that the resort staff so I actually enjoyed them.

As we walked down the beach we saw other resorts and it did appear that Couples Swept Away was one of the nicer ones so I guess Jamaica, in general, just didn't live up to our hopes. We've had other tropical vacations at all inclusive resorts before but this was just not up to par.

We thought that having such a short trip it would be difficult to leave but we were actually glad to be going home. That is a bad sign. Clearly, Jamaica was not for us.

10 Thank Katchic22
London, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

My wife and I just arrived back from Couples Swept Away Resort in Negril. Very relaxing, staff were great, and the resort, although full, didn't feel cramped or crowded. The food was very good (portions not too big...we like that) at all a la cart restaurants, and the buffet was outstanding! You do need to make reservations at 2 of the restaurants, and I recommend doing this upon your arrival. Also book your catamaran trip early as well. Upon checkin, ask about the reservation policies for restaurants and the glass bottom boat, etc. They are a little unique but work well.
We have an ocean front room on the top floor, heard a neighbour maybe once the whole trip, but you can hear the music 1 or 2 times during the week. Nothing to ruin your trip!
I would recommend getting a beach front room on the top floor. Get the units in the middle between the bars and restaurants at each end of the resort. This will ensure more peace and quiet. The view from these units is outstanding. The sunsets right out front!
Everyone talks about getting hasseled on the beach by locals selling things. This resort has security along it's beach and they will ensure you don't get hasseled. Honestly, we travelled quite a bit of the gorgeous Seven Mile Beach, and althought we would get asked, we never got "Harrassed". There is always great booz and food here. They have cards in your room which you put on your door every night in which you can be sure to get all the booz you wish in your room the next day. Phone ahead if you want it waiting upon your arrival. Have fun, relax...your in good hands!!

Room Tip: Get the Beach Front Rooms, the 3rd floor, in the middle of the resort away from the action at both e...
1 Thank Relaxed66
Newtown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

I'll start by saying I should have reviewed CSA awhile ago, I traveled August 20-28 of 2011, but we have been there since then (Oct 25-Nov1). We went on our honeymoon. I am a travel agent, and have seen many resorts and we loved every minute. We were sad to go home.

We arrived at the Airport lounge to complimetary red stripe and soda, along with a clean less pubilc bathroom! We waited maybe 15 minutes for our shuttle to the resort. Of course the luggage guys hassle you a little for a tip, but it was expected and as far as I know they aren't associated really with Couples, just the airport.

The ride was not bad, and I was already feeling queezy before the drive and I survived. I loved that we drove along the coast - it was nice preview of the beautiful beach we were about to be sitting on.

Check in was easy - greeted with champagne and a cold towel, which was very welcomed. They confirmed we were on our honeymoon and our complimentary couples massage (bring proof of marriage - they will ask). We were escorted to our Great House Jacuzzi Suite, on the 3rd floor. They carried our luggage for us, which was nice as I was exhausted from the wedding the night before. Our view was SPECTACULAR. It was an uninterupated gorgeous ocean view with a very large balcony. Room is simple, which we wanted. We didn't need all the bells and whistles, it was reflective of our Caribbean/Jamaican surroundings and we loved it. It was clean and the bed was comfortable. The Jacuzzi was large enough for 2, but it was not much larger than that. We really didn't use it but once, but it was our honeymoon, we wanted to have it and the larger bathroom, and the location.

We were located 2 floors above Patios, and the swim up bar and we never heard anything, no disctracting noice, or loudness. During the day of course you can hear people at the swim up bar, you'd be crazy to think you couldn't.

BEACH: STUNNING.. I think that is all that needs to be said. Crystal Clear water, smooth as glass, no waves and a wonderful floaty mat to float in the ocean on. I have been to other resorts on 7 Mile Beach, and this blows them all away. No seagrass, no rough bottom. It was just sand and clear water.

FOOD: Loved Feathers (you must dress up) and Patios. Feathers we ate at twice, and loved. The steak was great and the soup was a must try. Even the tea afterwards was good. Patios changed the menu daily, which was nice. There was always something to try every day. When we went back the 2nd time, they seemed to be only changing the menu every couple days, but it was right after Hurricane Sandy so they may have been behind in deliveries or something. Lemon Grass was okay, but we don't like Thai food. The view is awesome though and the martini bar was great while waiting.

WATERSPORTS: They totally made this trip. They are the funniest group of people, and they do EVERYTHING around the resort. We went Snorkeling with them twice and it was so fun, and we did the glass bottom boat ride and the catamaran cruise. All are must dos. We enjoyed everything.

Strangely enough, we had perfect weather every day for August - no rain at all! In October, the beach wasn't so nice as Hurrican Sandy washed a lot of debris on it, but you better believe those water sports crew was on top of cleaning the beach every day all day! Even with the beach a mess due to no fault of the hotel and 100% at fault to mother nature, we had a blast! We even extended by 4 days because we couldn't get back to Philadelphia!

I would really recommend this resort for honeymooners, anniversaries, or just getting a little romance and R & R. This is not your Ritz Carlton, so if you're looking for that, look at something more modern like Secrets in Montego Bay, or better yet the Ritz Carlton. This is a true Jamacian Experience, with rooms that are rustic and basic, yet beautiful. I have sent several people to this resort, all with the right expectations, and they LOVE IT and are now repeaters for life!

Room Tip: Rooms that say "Verandah Suite" all have TVS and glass panes in the windows, with out it t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank CNL820
Lethbridge, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I visited CSA from March 17-24 and the only word I have to describe this resort is average. We have been to many places over the last 10 years and have experienced a lot of resorts and CSA is nothing special at all. I was so confused after reading the many great reviews of this place and the return visitors. I wondered if these people had ever experienced any other resorts. If they had, they would not go back to CSA.

My biggest problem with this resort was the service. To me, it was lacking in so many ways. I struggled no matter which restaurant I went to to get a glass of wine or get it filled once I had drank the first one. Here I am at an all-inclusive resort that we paid a substantial amount of money for, and I can't get my wine glass filled? All staff seemed to operate on their own schedule and their own time and were not concerned in the very least to ensure I had what I needed or wanted to make my week enjoyable.

The food was also average at CSA. Although they were a number of places to eat, they had the same breakfast, lunch, supper, etc. almost every day. Absolutely no variety at the buffets. So disappointing when you visit some of the Mexico resorts where you have everything you could ever imagine. I will say that the ice cream machines at the Cabana Grill and the Seagrapes Cafe was a nice touch.

Our room was quite disappointing. We had a Garden View Verandah Suite, mostly because that was the only option available when booking. We were right beside the road and it was awful. It seemed as though everyone's vehicle in Jamaica is loud and annoying! We went to ask for an upgrade and they told us they would contact us if something came up and we never heard from them. Luckily I did have earplugs which I had to use to get any sleep. The rooms, compared to other resorts, need some serious upgrades. None of the drawers shut, none of the doors closed, small ants everywhere, bathroom was mildewy and stained. Our toilet plugged three times over the week and the maintenance men that came to unplug it dripped toilet water all over our floor from the plunger and never cleaned it up! The room keys are a serious problem because if they get wet (which of course they would at the beach!) they would deactivate and we had to get our door re-programmed 3 times. Ridiculous.

The beach is beautiful, I will admit. The vendors were tiring at times, but what really drove me crazy was all the "band, singer vendors" that would travel up and down the beach all day long with no reprise. Here I am at the beach and all I hear is a lot of noise. There was also a lot of music/bass noise being projected from either our resort or somewhere else along the bay and it was enough to drive a person crazy. It happened every single day we were there, sometimes all day, sometimes all night. Where is it coming from??? While the beach was beautiful, it was next to impossible to get a beach chair under some shade. Apparently the very few shaded palapas were taken as early as 4:30 in the morning! They need to get more beach umbrellas, etc. I have never been to a resort where these chairs were reserved so early and we either had to get our butts out of bed, or risk not being able to spend the day at the beach.

This was our first time to Jamaica, and unfortunately probably our last. Too much noise, so little service. I would highly recommend going to Mexico, either Pacific or Mayan Riviera side to get the service, variety and beauty that Jamaica lacked.

Room Tip: If you do decide to go to this resort, do not book the Gardenview Verandah rooms. You will regret it...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank beachbound_1979
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

This review is a long time coming following our honeymoon at Couples Swept Away (CSA) last year (May 29th - June 6th, 2012). We absolutely loved CSA and every since our trip I have found myself browsing flights and rates at least once a week in trying to plot our next escape there! First and foremost, for us, CSA was the absolute perfect destination- it fit our aesthetic and personalities. We are NOT into an overly formal sort of decor with carved mahogany, thick tapestries (in a tropical climate?), and activity directors over enthusiastically interrupting a relaxing moment on the beach to insist you have to come join the cannon ball contest by the pool- and you will NOT find any of these things here. What we do love is a place where we can truly unplug, relax, spend time with one another with a gorgeous beach, great food, and the option for an adventure or two if we so choose. And that is exactly what you will find at CSA. Our Beachfront Verandah Suite had crisp white linens, beautiful wooden shades, a stocked mini-fridge with all of our requests, and a beautiful outdoor balcony overlooking the crystal clear water. And let's talk about that water for a moment. Oh the water. So clear that sometimes I thought it was somehow fake! Seriously. And the perfect temperature. So now for a few more specifics.

We arrived into Montego Bay airport at about 2:00pm and quickly found the Couples Welcome Lounge. Immediately, a smiling agent asked us which resort we were headed to, took and tagged our luggage, and informed us it would only be a short wait until our shuttle departed. We were welcomed into the lounge where we were offered Red Stripe on tap (delicious after the flight and our first "official" honeymoon toast!). The decor of the lounge was similar to the resort and started putting our minds into vacation mode. During our short (15 minute) wait, we met another couple who had been married two days earlier and were also honeymooning. We were all on the same shuttle together as they were headed to Couples Negril (the first stop with CSA five minutes down the road after that drop-off). We set off on our shuttle with a bus driver who welcomed us with some funny jokes and interesting tidbits about Jamaica. About 10 minutes into the drive he pulled over and said that if anyone wanted some more Red Stripe for the 2 hour drive, this was the place. Just about everyone took him up on the offer and purchased a few bottles for only about a buck a bottle! I read a lot of reviews complaining about the shuttle ride, but we had booked our flights anticipating this and didn't mind it. Most of the highway goes along the water and us and the other honeymooners enjoyed chatting, sipping Red Stripe, and celebrating being DONE with wedding planning! Once we reached the resort, our luggage was taken care of and we were escorted into the lobby for check-in. We were offered cool towels and champagne as we sat with an agent and confirmed all of our details. We took a few extra minutes to set up our dinner reservations for Feathers and Lemongrass after hearing how quickly those can fill up in other reviews but we had no troubles finding the days/times we requested. Then we were off with a bellhop who described the property and lead us to our room. We were offered a tour of the resort but declined as we wished to explore on our own and there are ample maps, info, etc. posted.

Upon arriving to our room we really felt our Honeymoon get underway (and NO, not in a romantic way...get your minds out of the gutter, haha!). Based on other reviews we had called a few times in advance to have that we have a third (top) floor, corner Beachfront Verandah Suite. While they can not guarantee requests, I think calling a few times helped and I am glad they noted our request as this room was perfect. Despite overlooking the beach, we felt extreme privacy and did not have any noise or view of beachstrollers as we would have on the ground floor. The clean and crisp decor was just as we had imagined and soon after arriving a bellhop delivered the chilled champagne included in our FREE honeymooners bonus (if you are married within 30 days and can show proof, you get free champagne and a free 25 min couples massage- what is better than that??). Opening our french doors to the balcony and finally seeing the gorgeous beach we had imagined for so many months in person was breathtaking. We immediately threw on our bathingsuits and ran down to the beach, splashing straight into the perfect temperature water! By this time it was about 4:30pm and getting a bit late so we only swam a little longer before hopping out, grabbing the obligatory pina colada at the beachside bar, and then heading back up to our room to get ready for dinner.

The rest of the week was more of the same. Some mornings we started with breakfast at Patois or the buffet, and some mornings we ordered and enjoyed on our balcony. Then we would go sign up for snorkeling or another water activity (get there early to sign up daily as a line forms- though we enjoyed this as it ensured that everyone had a fair chance and your activity wasn't overloaded) and then hit the beach to float on the amazing seat floats while enjoying a morning beverage. For lunch we LOVED the fish tacos and chips/dips at Seagrapes. Our dinners were fantastic and we also did a private dinner on the beach which was very romantic. At night we loved the piano bar and singing along with Ultimate Chocolate and we even won two bottles of rum during a musical trivia contest!

We also hit up the spa twice (once for our 25 minute couples massage which we extended to 50 minutes and once more for what would have been another couples massage except we both got sunburned so we switched to a cooling/healing aloe treatment which was awesome) and we loved both visits. The hot tub outside the spa was a nice way to relax before/after treatments and the staff was wonderful.

One of our absolute favorite parts of the trip was the sunset catamaran tour- this is NOT to be missed and was spectacular. I loved that things like this are already included in the Couples base price as many all inclusives advertise a "wallet free" experience but in the end you wind up having to pay for more. I think that is what truly sets Couples apart. Yes, you can choose to pay extra for off-resort tours or the spa, but the other activities such as the catamaran, the glass bottomed boat, water skiing, snorkeling, and even scuba are ALL included. It's an amazing value and we met another couple who had sworn by Sandals previously until visiting Couples- they were amazed at all the things included that they had to pay for at Sandals (i.e. they took a similar catamaran tour and it was $100 each!). Add to it that when researching the resort, we got the top level room with full ocean views right on the beach for almost $1000 less than the lowest level room at Sandals, and Couples is the absolute BEST value for your dollar out there.

My only negative is not for the resort but my own immune system/allergies. We did experience sand fleas during our visit and I knew in advance we might based on other reviews as we were traveling during their "prime season"- unfortunately, even though I applied bug spray I have a severe bug allergy and am part of the .00001% of people that can have a severe reaction. BUT the nursing team immediately arranged a doctor visit (to avoid the ER) and they gave me a shot that stopped my reaction. They even walked through the form and notated everything correctly (i.e. that it was in fact an emergency) to ensure my insurance would accept the form when I returned to the states (they did and I was reimbursed quickly).

OUR TIPS:
-Do not forget sunscreen as it is VERY expensive in the giftshops and the sun is STRONG (seriously, bring more than you think you will need!)

-Bring bug spray if you are traveling during bug season (I thought I had Skin So Soft spray but it wasn't the right kind which is part of why I got bit up)

-Water sport sign-ups are daily so get there early and then go relax at breakfast. We had no trouble snorkeling several times since we knew this in advance

-One thing I wish I knew is that we could have gone on the catamaran twice- sign up and do it twice if you can, it's awesome!

-Take the extra time (no matter how excited you are) to sign up for your dinner reservations upon check-in. I think the people who have complained about reservations must have tried day of, etc.

-Take advantage of the honeymoon special if you are newlyweds, you get champagne and a free couples massage!

-Know your travel personality. If you like ornate over the top and lavish decorations, having a butler, etc. this may not be your place - but that doesn't mean it is not luxurious. To us, it was perfect.

-Last but not least, forget your computer charger! Seriously. Enjoy every second and just relax! You will find yourself spending plenty of time on the computer upon your return home...trying to plan your next visit!!!

Room Tip: Third (top) floor, corner, Beachfront Verandah Suites are the best - they are quiet, private, and yo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
14 Thank Erin C
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We just came back from a week at this resort. When we first arrived we were surprised by the small guest reception area. We has always gone to resorts in other countries, with marble entrances, etc etc etc. Well all I can say is do not judge a hotel by the reception main house. This was the most amazing week of vacation we ever spent. The service was amazing. From the grounds keeper to the room service, to the front desk we received amazing service. The staff were happy, helpful and could not do enough for us. There is no tipping permitted there fore you know they are not smiling just to get an extra $5 out of you., they are smiling because they are happy to serve you.
The resort is an older resort but the accommadations were amazing..... I had read some reviews indicating the dated bath rooms etc but hey, get over it. They were clean, well maintained so it wasn't marble who cares the room were lovely, rustique with wooden shutters and large decks for each room.
The resort is spread along the beach front so you are always by the water. The pools are small but nice, anyway we were there for the beach.
The food was incredible....... hats off to the chefs........... . Nightly entertainement was extremely good,
A catamaran is supplied by the hotel. Reserve it and have fun .... for around 2.5 hours you go along the coast right up to Ricks Café....... best view in the house and it does not cost you any thing..... it is included.
The beach was beautiful. No there are not a lot of hutts from the sun but there are a lot of trees for shade along the edge. But who wants shade we were there for the sun.. We did have rain, two afternoons but that can happen any where.....
I just can not wait to go back............. As a couple in our early 50's it was perfect... PARADISE

Room Tip: as for a partial view of ocean and take upper floor
14 Thank sunshine155032
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
#9 of 84 in Negril
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,711 reviews
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!