“Another Great Stay at a Couples Resort, CSA”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #14 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Detroit, Michigan
“Another Great Stay at a Couples Resort, CSA”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

CSA is at the top of the Couples resorts! I can truly say now that I am a Couples expert; we have stayed at all the resort, completing our Couples vacations at CSA this past December. The day was perfect, stepping onto Jamaica, with warm sunshine on our faces and the sweet smell of the island, we then started out with a private shuttle to Negril, surprising my good friend for her birthday with a Tim Air view of our favorite Island, and CSA. Because we landed so early, we arrived at CSA around 2, but this was no problem. Champagne, and cool towels greeted us, as did our rooms. Atrium Suite 1223, top floor with a slight view of the ocean, complete heaven.
Room was large, beautiful dark wooden slotted shutters, screened on several of the walls, very airy and tropical feeling. Large balcony with a comfortable couch, table and delicate hammock. Mini bar, coffee pot, and no TV (which was just fine by us).
Diving is one reason we continue to return to Couples, it’s included with your all-inclusive. So, the dive crew at CSA had a lot to live up to, to compare to the other resorts. Certainly was not disappointed!!! We dove with Shaggy, Cooper, Donkey and had Jahfrey as our captain. Each of these guys takes special care of the divers, and truly make the experience fun. Helps, that CSA has this beautiful new dive boat, that makes it really comfortable for diving. We tend to return to the Couples of which we love the dive crew, this is one Couples we will be back to! Loved all of them.
Food: Beach grill has wonderful afternoon flare, (for us who don’t want to give up any time out in the beautiful Jamaican sunshine) we would order lunch here and sit pool side. Yummy pork taco with fresh fruit salsa! Besides this, for lunch you must get the sweet potato chips and dip at the vegetarian grill. We dined at all the restaurants, but found Lemongrass to be our favorite. Breakfast wasn’t a meal we ate, just ordered room service. But one day we did go to Palms, and had the famous banana stuffed French toast, was terrific.
Aside from the beautiful, soft white beach, and stunning Jamaican sea, CSA was truly wonderful. The property is larger than the other Couples. But, it never felt over crowded, or we never ever had to wait for anything. Beach bars had super great staff as was the staff on the beach. We had our relaxing, fun Jamaican Couples vacation we have grown to love.
CN will always have our hearts, but CSA is right up there!

Room Tip: We had Atrium suite, 1223. Request a top floor, view was great, little piece of ocean view, was priv...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank BarbDetroit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,440)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This was our 14th time to CSA and 2nd New Year's there. In two words: Loved It!!
We were over 3 hours late arriving and tired from a long day so when the Check in process was flawless it set the perfect tone for our vacation. Our room was ready and in a beautiful location. Once we got in I called for the mini bar to be stocked. They had our order as we had pre-registered and told us to go off for dinner and everything would be in place when we got back. It wasn't but the guy was there with in 5 minutes of our arrival. He was new and had trouble finding our room. I can see that happeneing at CSA with all the winding paths. From that moment on our mini bar was perfectly stocked every day. You have to fill out a card now and put it on your door by 1:00 am and it's stocked by 10:00 the next morning. Loved having bottled Red Stripe again. Excellent improvements from previous visits.

Our Housekeepers kept our room clean every day. They were both friendly ladies with beautiful smiles. There seemed to be a small problem with towels for a day or two. It was probably due to the high turn over of guests and maybe a reduction of staff because of the holidays. We never ran out but were short a bathmat and hand towels for a day. It might also have been because we were missed by the night turn down sevice 2 or 3 times over our 9 night stay. Not a big deal.

The New Year's Eve party was amazing. Every bit as good as last year. The food and entertaiment was out of this world. The bands had the dance floor packed again this year. We enjoyed the party so much I expect we'll be back again for it this year. Lighting the lanterns from the beach after midnight is so beautiful to experience.

Over all I felt the service at the bars and restaraunts had improved. No long wait for a drink and our dinners were served perfectly. Never had a bad meal but I think the variety of items at the buffet (both lat unch and dinner at the Palms) has been reduced. There is till more than enough selection but it's one of the places I think there may have been changes.

Another change I hope is temporary is there is no music (even recorded) in the Palms during dinner. I really miss listening to a singer during dinner. Show time afterwards is great but often we left after dinner because it was boring just sitting there waiting. I hope they bring back entertainers at this time. Even recorded music would be better than nothing. One good thing about leaving after dinner is that it made us go to bed early which helped us get up and be fresh in the morning for our scuba dives. While at CSA we did our Advanced Open Water Cert with Anthony and his team. This is one group I can't say enough about.

Last New Year's they encouraged me to do the Open Water Cert. I couldn't have done it without them. My husband was already certified and was very happy to have me now as his dive buddy but he had many more years of experience than I did. So, this year we both did the Advanced certification. Working with Anthony and his team was for us the highlight of our visit. They made everything enjoyable for both of of. We especially apreciated how flexible they were on when we did the required dives. As much as we enjoy diving I come for the beach too so I don't want to spend all of my days at the bottom of the ocean. They made that possible. What at top notch group and much fun to spend time with. I can't wait to get back to dive with them again.

In all our trip to CSA was amazing. Even with the few changes I didn't like so much, it didn't change my over all opinion of CSA. After 14 times it's still my favorite place in the world. Hope to be back soon.
KK

Room Tip: They are all beautiful
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank KayKayTorontoCanada
uk
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

I will try to cover things which have not been mentioned already.
If you are a sports lover then this is a great resort. Over the road is the sports complex with a 25m pool which has lanes so you can swim without having to look out for inflatables, this was something I have never had before on holiday and loved it. We sunbathed by this pool which was very quiet. The bar was just by the pool, that had lots of interesting smoothies.

There is a jogging track which weaves around the sports complex and measured 0.47 miles on my garmin. This was always very quiet, it was great to run without having to look out for traffic. At most there were 4 other runners at the same time as me. The surface was Tarmac with the odd pothole so good for speed training too.

The gym is good and there is a workout studio with spin and other classes, both instructors were good. I saw the end of an abs class which looked pretty hard work.

We only ate at the main buffet restaurant which was good for breakfast and lunch. There was always a good choice of veggie/vegan as long as you like vegetables - they didn't tend to have a vegetarian main meal such as lasagne but there were plenty of no meat dishes and salads. The a la carte in the evening was a disappointment. They had one veggie dish which was mostly not vegan. I asked if I could have the noodles without butter but that was not possible, the rest if the dish was vegan though. Another day there was nothing I could have on the menu which I explained to the waiter but he did nothing to help so all I could have was salad. I do not think this is acceptable for a 5 star hotel. I have been to 3 star hotels where they have done something special for me or adapted the meal but there was not even a discussion here about how they could adapt something for me. It's a good job I like salad.
The beach party was the worse as the vegetables had gone so on my plate I ended up with cucumber, cress and some rice as everything else had meat or dairy.
Apart from the food issues, which was only I the evening, it is a great hotel and we had a really good time.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank maps
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I am writing this review while I am still at CSA.

Fist the pros:
- beautiful beach
- great sport complex
- large hotel, not crowded feeling
- well maintained gardens

Cons:
- quality of food and poor menu on non buffet evenings.
- where is the entertainment team????? Obviously not at the hotel. It's been 3 days that we are here and except kirk I've never seen any of them.
- staff seems very frustrated and demotivated which lead to not being happy to serve clients, expect few of them.
- rooms: we booked a beach verandah room.We checked in at night but it was clear that there will be no view on the beach ( a huge tree was just from of our balcony). We complained and the front desk told us that there will be another room available the next day. The new room has a better view although on ground floor.
They urgently need to change the bathroom. Soooo old!
- we are planning to try the Thai restaurant tonight.

Overall I would say that the atmosphere is cold if I may say. What you've paid for is delivered but wether you are happy or not it won't make any difference. Too sad.
We were at couples tower isle 2 years ago and the service was top notch. The entertainment team were just fantastic, the food was prepared by a German chef, delicious, and the GM was present all day to make your stay even better.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank travelexperience
Ontario
Reviewed January 12, 2013

This year we did a CSS/CSA split for Christmas and New Year's. We had visited CSA last year and fell in love and felt right at home. This year, it did not disappoint! It was even better than we had remembered! The staff and service was even better than we remember and some of them even remembered us from last year. All I can say is to keep it up! We felt welcomed, and we felt like we were part of the family, an unbelievable treat to experience! We miss it already :(
We arrived from CSS in Ocho Rios at 10h30, so we checked-in, but since our room wasn't ready, we went off and enjoyed the beach until 3pm when our room was ready. We booked a beachfront verandah suite, and asked for ground floor, which they had available, so we were really pleased with our room location. The bamboo bar was right in front of our room, how convenient! Room was clean with no issues. Mini bar was stocked shortly after arrival with our preference from the pre check-in and was re-stocked everyday with no issues. We had Red Stripe everyday and if we ran out, the bar wasn't very far...
The beach was, ahhhhh, so welcoming. Loved flotting in the water to refresh. We love 7 mile beach, and never had an issue with chairs, flotties, or the vendors. They were mostly the same vendors as last year, but we got to know some of them this year, and they are such sweet people! Very friendly! We love walking the beach and stopping at different little bars, such a great atmosphere!
The grounds very well maintained, very lush, beauty everywhere! The weather was very warm, sunny, we had one afternoon of clouds and 15 min. rain in 1 week.
We did the catamaran tour and it was a blast. We sang, drank, danced with the crew (Howard, ?), very fun!. We did the snorkeling, my husband got PADI certified and is very happy he did it. I, on the other hand enjoyed the spa, had a peppermint wrap and facial, oh what a treat! We also did the One Love Pub Crawl with Lenbert. This is an amazing tour to experience more local bars and see a bit of Negril's culture. Would def. do it again! My husband did golf on one morning, said the course is very dry, not the best, but he really enjoyed it!
The food was top notch again. Excellent, not one bad meal. We did have a real treat on lobster night, when at Feather's. This was the best meal of all, and our server Sherry-Ann was AMAZING! We received awsome service! Thank you! The buffet at the Palm's for New Year's Eve was out of this world! Excellent!
The New Year's Eve party was very good. This year, the theme was Jazz, very well decorated and we had a very memorable New Year's Eve!
We had an unforgettable trip again this year, we left with tears in our eyes, with Colin hugging us goodbye (the staff is soooo great!). We really enjoyed our time in Jamaica, especially in Negril at CSA. We can't wait to be back! Once you go, you know!

Room Tip: We love the location of the beachfront verandah suites. Ground floor with convenience, but less pri...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rachelstravel
Naples, Florida
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We were 2 couples spending the Christmas Holiday at Swept Away. (First timers at Couples Resorts.) The reservations and check-in process are very laid back. The arrivals lounge at Montego Bay Airport is friendly and efficiently run. The ride to the resort was uneventful and comfortable. The resort is quite nice. Landscaping is beautiful! You would never know how close you are to the road. Main buildings are in need of a little TLC. (Mainly a fresh coat of paint.)
Our Beachfront Verandah Suite was in the absolutely perfect location, (literally 4 steps to the beach). WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!! The room was stocked with our preferred drinks of choice. The room was very clean and well appointed but the tired bathroom left a bit to be desired. They need to update the plumbing at the very least. It would also be a plus if they updated the balcony/patio furniture. Twice daily maid service was exceptional.
We were exhausted from traveling and went to the Patois Patio for an early dinner. The service was almost as bad as the food. We never ate there again.
The remainder of the week was wonderful! The Christmas Eve cocktail party was just lovely! The Caribbean Ship Wreck Party was a delight! The dinner on the beach...well...not so great food but the set up was so romantic and they tried so hard to make it a highlight. (I would not recommend this extra expense.)
The resort was completely full for Christmas, yet we never felt crowded. The staff does a fabulous job of keeping you insulated from the hawkers on the beach. We never had to scrounge for a beach lounge, no matter what time we got there. The beach is spectacular!
The crystal clear water offered daily surprises such as starfish, spotted rays and tropical fish. You could venture out hundreds of feet and still be only neck deep in the beautiful water. The lounge chairs are topped with the very expensive floats that provide perfect cushions OR drag one out into the water and sip on a Red Stripe beer as you float around. Absolute heaven.
The gift shops are fairly well stocked and staff helpful. The wait staff on the beach was spotty but once you made a personal connection, they were wonderful. The scuba, snorkelling and catamaran trips were great! (The catamaran company needs to buy new life jackets. All of the ones on board were children's sizes. Not a big deal... unless there is a problem!!!)
We ate breakfast at the Palms almost every morning. The Bloody Mary and Mimosa serve yourself bar was great!!! It was a daily banquet and the servers were always pleasant. We were usually there early but the one morning we ate at 9am, they had a string duet playing! The room service continental breakfast menu was very nice... but slow.
Lunch was always a buffet banquet at the Palms. The Seagrapes Cafe and Cabana Grill were also great. Fish Tacos were yummy and anything jerked...pork, chicken was a treat.
We had 2 other "special dinners" (reservations required 2 days in advance). Feathers was our first. The dining room is very lovely, sort of Art Deco inspired and the dinner was fine.
Lemongrass was our favourite by far. The Asian theme is carried out quite well, from the decor to the menu. The service was exceptional and the food was beyond sumptuous.
However....I must add for any wine enthusiasts out there... to prepare for disappointment.
Getting a blended Dirty Banana or a thousand other mixed concoctions at any bar or restaurant there, is simple. Getting a glass of white wine with lunch? Good grief. I don't know where they are keeping the wine but it never showed up in time to have with my meal. My suggestion.....order the glass of wine, wait until it shows up, THEN go to the buffet. The same goes with purchasing "higher end" bottles. They have a very limited supply and it seems there is one designated person that handles the wine.
Our departure was very well organized. Check out was easy and fast. The trip back to Montego Bay safe and uneventful.
All in all???
The resort is about 20 years old and it is starting to show a bit of wear. I imagine when it was new, there was nothing to compare to its location or extravagant beauty. They have taken fairly good care of it but I hope they do some major updates. I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for relaxation and a laid back environment.

Room Tip: If possible, spend the extra money for beachfront!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank travelmomEarth
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I order 3 nights it that "hotel" 1300$ for 3 nights we wil be in hotel at 11-45. Reception lady promise to give room in one hour . 1pm room not ready. 3 pm ( check in time) room not ready. 4 pm room nt ready. 4-45 they give s room near bar. We say Thank yo and move to another hotel. Service -5. In the beach nobody traditional care to give you bad . For towels 2 for one we fighting 5 min because its 1 towel for one person. I talk 3 times to GM but that Lady is out of mind and don't care!!!! Never ever stay in that hotel. By the way they have very nice beach and all inclusive junk food and drinks.after all I request confirmation for my check in and check out time of course : "our system can not print ANy PAPER Confirmation regarding your stay ". Can you imagine that even bill!!!!

Room Tip: Never ever think about that hotel 2132 it's near beach bar
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple