“stay was awesome”

Ranked #13 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Wilmington, North Carolina
“stay was awesome”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

If a vacation is about being active, eating and drinking well - than Swept Away is THE place to go.
I am a travel professional and this was my second visit to this resort.
CON
The internet connection is poor in bldg 5 (and other buildings). We had to go to the nearby lobby or the internet cafe at the opposite end of the property. This needs fixing as all buildings should be wireless for guests convenience.

PROS - everything else:)

We spent six nights in a garden verandah suite (room 2103 bldg 5, next to lobby bldg 4). The room was serviced multiple times during the day and turn down every evening. The room was clean and quiet, even though it was close to the street, which has been improved with thick cover on door. The king bed was a little on the firm side, but okay.

Food was delicious, especially if you like trying local cuisine. Healthy choices were always available. Desserts were outstanding and soft serve ice cream available only during the day was nice.

Feathers - excellent service, food and atmosphere...try to get a reservation when you first arrive.
Lemon Grass - the appetizer sampler was excellent but the "sauce menu" was not very good.

Palms - delicious food; a busy restaurant and service could use some improvement at various times

Seagrapes Restaurant - on the beach, had one meal with slow service; better service at the bar area where Oshane and Janet made us great veggie smoothies. Kirk also worked at the bar and was a riot!!

Nearly all the stay was friendly and helpful. There are always a few employees that have attitude issues~but not enough to ruin a vacation!

The visiting tennis pro, fitness instructor and yoga teacher were outstanding. What a wonderful program, including tennis clinics, tennis round robins, yoga classes and exercise classes.

The resident tennis pros are fantastic - David, Brendan and Norson are the best!!

We did so many activities including: stand up paddle board, snorkeling, hobie cats, and catamaran cruise. The evening entertainment was good to excellent...something for everyone.

Can't wait to return to play with all my old and new friends:)

Room Tip: Being in the middle of the property is very helpful
5 Thank lizcoughlin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,456)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Billerica, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We LOVE CSA! We've visited numerous times and REALLY enjoy the resort and the beautiful 7 Mile Beach!

The resort itself can best be described as "rustic Jamaican" combined with Zen simplicity - not that I've ever lived as a "rustic Jamaican," but hopefully you get the vibe.

Rooms are fine - nothing to write home about in terms of decor, but we've stayed in all but the Great House and Ocean Front Verandah Suites, and can honestly say we LOVE the old section (and especially love anything beach front).

The food is awesome - plenty to eat and great options for anyone's taste. I'm a vegetarian and eat fish, my SO loves anything meat, and we were able to find terrific options at every meal.

Drinks are great - plentiful and delicious!

We love the Spa and fitness center - those trainers will really kick your a$%!!

Now about the people....Staff is great, and always willing to go the extra mile. Can't ask for better!!

Every year we also meet some really interesting guests, and this year we met a really nice couple from Saskatchewan (big ups to Scott and Nancy!!) This was their first time out of Canada, and they (especially Scott) weren't used to the heat and sun, but they acclimated pretty well and were really a blast (how were those Bob Marleys, Scott?) Be sure to keep an open mind when you're on-resort, as you never know what kind of people you'll meet! Everyone is really friendly, and you never know if you'll meet a "Bestie" while you're there!! Scott is already planning on a Couples Partaaaay in the Saskatchewan area, and we're hoping to visit them there (preferably in the summer)....

The saying is absolutely right - "once you go, you know!!"

Have an AWESOME time at CSA - My SO and I are already insanely jealous!!

Room Tip: If you want a TV, be sure to select a room with "Verandah" in the title. The "old&qu...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Sandra L
Krakow
Reviewed November 30, 2012

The property I would rated more like 3+*, clean rooms with nice deck. The beach is 5*, the best beach in Jamaica, but the beach launch chairs and the mats need some cleaning from time to time. The breakfast buffet is good, rest of the meals are OK, nothing special. The staff was polite, but distant, except some of the bartenders and people in reception. We enjoyed the evening entertainment. Anyway, our stay was pleasant and relaxing and I can recommend this resort to you.

Room Tip: You will have little privacy in the Beachfront Suites ground floor.
1 Thank Pekar007
Boulder, Colorado, United States
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I recently visited Couples Swept Away, Negril this November and the trip was fantastic. I read and researched a ton of reviews and resorts before this trip, and found that this resort has high marks because it deserves it. It truly is a wonderful resort to to relax, eat, drink and spend quality time with your significant other. Here are a couple of comments about this place from your average Joe traveler.

- We were looking for a "beach" vacation where we can relax and unwind. And that is exactly what we got. If you're looking for a spring break party atmosphere, this place is not for you. However, if you're looking to relax, disconnect and enjoy spending time with a loved one, this is a great spot. The atmosphere is great, safe and perfect for a beach getaway.

- This resort is all inclusive and it did not disappoint. The food is fantastic and people of all diets and restrictions will find something delicious to eat. My girlfriend is gluten-free and doesn't eat much meat, but had no problem finding tasty meals. You have the option of some sit-down restaurants or buffets, but don't be discouraged by the word 'buffet'. These are not your typical "Vegas style" buffets in which you'll have to run to the bathroom 20 minutes later. But rather, they are fresh, clean and are prepared daily. Very good food.

- In addition to the all inclusive food, you also get a very good drink selection. Unlike some resorts, the bar isn't filled with bottom shelf liquor, but rather just the opposite. They have all kinds of higher end rums, whiskeys, gins, and vodkas that are all included. You also have the options of Red Stripe beer and a number of specialty island shots. There is no shortage of good drinks and getting tipsy is really easy.

- For the most part, the staff is kind, courteous and easy going. You will find the occasional worker that may not be as friendly as others, but we all have days in which we don't want to be at work. So that wasn't a problem for me. They are however a little slow and laid back, but that is just the attitude of the island and you'll quickly adjust as you slow down your pace as well. Remember that they are on island time and respond in a 'Jamaican minute', so relax and don't be discouraged if your used to fast-paced, constant service.

- Another great aspect of the staff is that they aren't allowed to take tips and you'll never be pressured or expected to hand out tips for service. In fact, if you try, many will decline because of the resort policy. You will be asked to tip the baggage men and the shuttle driver to the resort from the airport. But once you're at the resort, tipping will not be necessary.

- The rooms were very nice and clean. We had a standard garden view room and was not dissapointed. We spent most of our time outside of the room, so we didn't feel it was necessary to upgrade. The beach is an easy 3-5 minute walk from anywhere on the resort, so a standard room did us just fine. There were some complaints about noise from the road that is nearby, but I didn't think it was bad. Our room was near the back of the resort closest to the road, but at no time did I lose any sleep or felt disturbed. You'll hear some motorcycles and trucks zipping by if you're near the rear of the resort, but it's only a 2 lane road. Not some super highway that will keep you up at night. Trust me, between eating, drinking and spending all day in the sun, you won't have any trouble falling asleep.

- The beach is amazing. However, it is all a public beach that is separated by resorts so anyone can walk up and down the whole beach. Which is why you'll find a bunch of peddlers that will ask you to buy souvenirs, wood carvings, shells, jewelry, drugs and more. Sometimes it can get a little annoying walking down the beach as you'll be asked over and over to buy things. But only while you're waking the shore, they will not bother you while relaxing on your chairs. Remember that most of the island is extremely poor and tourism is their #1 money maker, so the locals try very hard to get in on tourism money. Just be polite, smile and say no thank you (unless of course you want something). But don't be super eager to dish out cash, bargain a price with them carry a limited amount of cash on you. If they know you're an easy sell, they will relentlessly try to squeeze every penny out of you. So if you carry small amounts of cash, you can easily limit the spending and hassle.

Overall, we had a wonderful time and would definitely stay here again. In fact there are many people who we met that are regulars to this place. There is very little that I can complain about as our experience was great. Some more experienced travelers may have other opinions, but as your average 30yr. old male that doesn't travel extensively, I was very happy and impressed with our stay.

Room Tip: Garden views are still a great value if you don't want to upgrade. The road noise was not bad, b...
15 Thank Joe W
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Couples Swept Away was an excellent vacation. Stayed for 12 nights in an atrium room on the first floor. The room was very clean, no issues with room service. Used laundry service a couple times and the form said it would take 24hours but we always had it back the same day. Not the cheapest laundry service I've experienced however, and because of that, we ended up doing some of our laundry our selves. We heard about people having issues with bugs in their 1st floor atrium rooms, but we never had that issue. There was one little lizard we found in our room, but he was easy enough to catch and send along their way again. The pools are all salt water pools, so no chlorine, which was very nice. When I say salt water, it's barely noticeable. It even took me a couple days to realize they were salt water. Occasional bug or leaf in the pool, but that wasn't anything too complain about. The beach was very nice. Sand was lovely. Service was overall very good. It's a no-tipping, no-cash resort, which I didn't realize before I left and had an embarrassing moment trying to give a tip to someone and having them refuse over and over. They can get in trouble for accepting tips, fyi. The food was amazing. I'm only comparing the food to the DR resorts which I've been to twice, but we had no issue trying new and different things, and never got sick once. I wasn't a fan of the buffet, but my wife was and enjoyed going there. There is no limit to the a la cart dinners you can go to, which was nice. You could easily eat a la cart every day there if you wanted (and I'd recommend). There was no TV in our room, which was very nice for us... we noticed some rooms had TV's, so something to note if this is important for you. There was so many different pools and hot tubs and bars that there was no issue finding a quiet spot to keep to yourselves if you desired. We traveled in off season, so ymmv. The resort isn't big, but it isn't small either. I think it's the perfect size, I can't stand big resorts that require a mini-train or bus that goes around & around that you have to jump on. We really enjoyed the sports bar and activities section. Lane pool was very nice with lots of activies to keep the active person entertained. Lots of classes aimed at couples - pilates, yoga, couples massage classes just to name a few. There was also lots of entertainment functions on the go during the night time - casino, honeymooners cocktail, etc - and we were reluctant to attend at first (not really something we normally enjoy) but we did half-way through our trip and really had a lot of fun. The entertainment staff really make this resort fun and I recommend taking advantage of all their activities. We also did things like hat-making, Jamaican cooking, sailing, glass-bottom boat, catamaran, snorkeling - and it was all included. We went down for our honeymoon, and had the best vacation ever. We'd recommend this resort, and would love to return to this resort again (even though we might not, only because we like to explore new places).

One bad thing about the resort, however - sewer smell. They must of had an issue, and maybe it was only related to Hurricane Sandy that had hit close to there the previous week. It's probably something that is resolved now, hopefully. But we noticed a sewer smell at specific parts of the resort all the time. We had to make an effort not to talk about it, cause we tried not to focus on the negative. We noticed every time we'd walk past the wedding archway on the beach, we'd smell the sewer. Certain parts on the resort pathways, we'd smell it too. And I noticed 2 of the male bathrooms drains overflowed and were shutdown for repairs (which were prompt and quick and reopened again soon). I mentioned this on my survey card when I left the resort, hoping to hear back from someone about it, but nothing yet. I didn't want to complain about an obvious issue, cause I knew they must of been working on it and I wasn't going to waste my time arguing on my honeymoon when it wouldn't of changed anything.

Room Tip: Atrium rooms are the best. Slight increase in cost for a big increase in privacy. 1121 was where w...
2 Thank Darrell C
Maryland
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We're just back from our 6th trip to CSA in 4 years! Since I've reviewed the place several times before I'll make this review short. CSA is still WONDERFUL!

There are a few changes, e.g., new faces, a new GM, less strict with beach towels, more generous with mini bar items, and breakfast item requested for room service not always supplied but the majority of what's brought us back time and time again remains the same. We certainly do miss a lot of the staff we've grown to know over the years and some of the new folks seem to still be feeling their way through. The Repeater's Dinner has consistently been our most favorite meal. We've always, with the exception of one time, stayed in the GHVS and we love it there! We'll definitely be back!!!

2 Thank t4me2
Marlton, New Jersey
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stayed at CSA 11/19-11/26 to celebrate our honeymoon. It was a great property with excellent food options (especially for an all inclusive) and a beautiful beach!

drive from airport was easy, we arrived around noon and made it to the hotel within an hour and a half.

we stayed in a beachfront veranda room which was located right on the beach in front of the wedding ceremony canopy. It was perfect. Highly recommend asking front desk for porch key if you have one of these rooms for easy access on and off beach.

rooms were simple and clean. nothing fancy but perfect for the Caribbean. fully stocked with beer and bottle of liquor of your choice. rooms were promptly serviced daily.

breakfast buffet was exceptional each morning and we enjoyed lunch at Seagrapes or the Grille near the swim up bar. Highly recommend the fish tacos, salads, and jerk pork wraps.

Favorite places to eat - Seagrapes, Feathers and Patois.
Best bar- Martini bar (upstairs near Lemongrass) great liquor options

Beach is beautiful, never had a problem finding a chair although this was a fairly quiet time of the year to go. Lots of locals trying to sell you things, they get annoying but just ignore them.

booked a zipline tour with the tour desk- Chukka Adventure tour
Fun and safe!

Highly recommend the catamaran cruise (free) it was fun...pack own drinks if possible the rum punch on board wasn't the best.

Seemed like the only people who expected tips were the beach bartenders. Left money for the turn down service and they didn't even take it. *Be prepared to tip people at the airport though, they will hunt you down until you give them a dollar.

Overall, no complaints. Weather was amazing. Staff was friendly. Great food and drinks. Met some great people and hope to keep in touch with new friends!

2 Thank LEH983
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Sandy Haven Resort
Hedonism II
#17 of 81 in Negril
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!