“Finally...We Made it to Paradise”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #14 of 81 Hotels in Negril
duncan,sc
“Finally...We Made it to Paradise”
Reviewed May 20, 2011

My husband and I were married last June, and we planned to leave for our honeymoon at CSA the following day. Unfortunately, when we arrived at the airport, my husband didn't have his documentation updated correctly, and we could not board our flight. We were completely devastated and cried all the way home from the airport. We were fortunately able to spend the week in Orlando, but our travel agent contacted CSA and the manager graciously booked another week for us in July with NO penalty. I was blown away by this, and we both cried again; but this time out of happiness. We finally left for CSA the third week of July, and we truly landed in paradise. This was our first time at an all inclusive resort. Here is the rundown of our second honeymoon :):
-Room: We stayed in the Great House in a Verandah Room. We had a partial view of the ocean, a flat screen tv, and a mini-bar in our room. The room was very clean, adn we were satisfied even though we didn't spend much time there. :)
-Beach/Ocean: After only 30 minutes in the ocean, I was stung by a jellyfish. I went to the nurse, and she applied vinegar on my leg. The sting completely went away...no marks! :) The beach is unbelievable. We layed there for hours every day enjoying the drinks, the vendors, and the music. The beach pictures we took looked like scenes from a postcard.
-Food- Most mornings we ate at Patois for breakfast. My favorite was the breakfast pizza. However, we also enjoyed the omlette station at the Palms, and the mimosas were a fantastic way to start the day. Lemongrass is fantastic for a romantic date night, and dont miss the top shelf margaritas! Feathers was my favorite restaurant, and our waitress Stasia made our dinner a true dining experience. Baileys and coffee is definitely the best way to end a meal here.
-Drinks- The swim up bar was our favorite. Beware of the Bob Marley shot! It is very dangerous. ha ha Dirty Bananas are fantastic, and Frasier is a great bartender. The drinks here are so yummy, and it is impossible to not overindulge.
-Entertainment- The entertainment was great. The Piano Bar was sooo much fun, and Ultimate is very talented. My absolute favorite person at Couples that I met was Akeem, the entertainment director. He is so much fun, and he made our experience at Couples more memorable. He even pulled me backstage to model for the resort gift shop. :)
-Recreation- The catamaran cruise is an experienced not to be missed. The cave swim was one of the most memorable experiences I have ever had. The snorkeling is great, and the gym is top notch.

I really can't describe how much we enjoyed our experience at Couples. We are planning a trip for next summer, and we are attempting to convince all of our friends and family to join us. When you experience the warmth of this staff and the beauty of Negril, you too will want to share it with everyone. We do not want to take chance of traveling to another country, because we doubt that it will live up to the expectations of CSA. Book your trip now! :) AND THANK YOU AGAIN TO THE MANAGEMENT FOR MAKING OUR DREAM HONEYMOON POSSIBLE!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank berrysweptaway

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,447)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed May 20, 2011

We loved our stay at Couples Swept Away. We stayed for 6 nights, and enjoyed the food, entertainment, and drinks. We had a garden view room that was clean, spacious, and comfortable. It was quiet and peaceful. We had a blast at the martini bar and the piano player was amazing during the Piano Bar. We tried the club one night, but wasn't our style. I did get sick one evening, not sure if it was the shrimp or the water (which for some reason tasted like clorine at dinner) but I was fine the next day and so was the water. Our only regret was not staying a couple days longer, we missed out on a couples things due to htem being booked. We did not get to eat at Lemongrass or take the Cadamaraine Cruise, which we were looking forward too. Great place, we can't wait to go back with family or friends.

3 Thank jessiejo17
Illinois
Reviewed May 18, 2011

My wife and I decided to try something different this year for our vacation. We've been going to RIU Palace resorts in Mexico and Punta Cana the last few years. We've really been comfortable and impressed with RIU so we were a little unsure about how well we'd like CSA. All doubts removed by the time we unpacked. It's a great place in a really cool setting. It took almost all week to learn the routes back & forth across the resort. The beach is so awesome. We always found chairs in a nice spot and never cared at all about the palapas. We hit the beach around 10 after swimming laps at the sports complex, (very under rated. Excellent facility.), and breakfast. The food was great. The buffet seemed a little small, but always has something good. The ala cart places were fantastic. Patios was my favorite. They changed the menu over a couple time in the week we were there. The only gripe I have with any of the restaurants is that the service sometimes could be slow or forgetful. We had drink orders ignored several times and a dinner order was lost once. But that was no big deal. Overall every employee was so nice & friendly that I couldn't get hung up on it. The glass bottom boat trip was fun and the watersports guys were hilarious, but we didn't see much in the water. It was interesting to see the properties up the beach. The catamaran cruise was a riot. Really fun. Our beach party on Friday was rained out, but the they served the food in the Palms and it was so I good. I ate until I was nearly in a coma. We missed out on the bonfire on Wednesday too. I wanted to do it but they start at 10:30 and we were leaving early in the morning. They show movies on the beach down by the Cabana Grill on Saturday nights. They provided blankets & popcorn. I enjoyed that so much I actually got into 'How Stella Got Her Groove Back'. Lastly we went on the Chukka Tour's zipline canopy & tubing trip. It was a blast.

Bottom line is we had an awesome time. As a matter of fact my wife already wants to go back later this fall and we haven't been home a week yet. We'll be back in September.

• Stayed May 2011
7 Thank dhmi4trip
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed May 17, 2011

Background: 9th trip south (2 Mexico, 3 Cuba, 2 Dominican Republic and 1 Antigua)
Couple traveling alone. We're 39 and 47.

I usually save this to the last of my review, but I can't help myself this time, and I have to say it in the beginning!! My husband and I have never been to a resort twice and we are already planning our trip back to Couples Swept Away. It really exceeded our expectations.

Now for the details.

I won't talk about the flight, that has nothing to do with the resort.. and do you really care if I had turbulence or not? The airport is part of your trip, but has nothing do with couples so I will spare you the long, hot shuffling details. (5 planes landed at one time.. so not the airports fault). The Couples lounge on the other side of customs is really nice.. nice cold beer, nice greeting, nice everything. Within minutes we were on our way in our bus. The driver was informative and funny.. It normally takes about 1:30 to get to the resort.. a little longer for us.. our driver got stopped for a speeding ticket. We all chuckled over it.

Reception was really nice.. champagne, and a nice cool refreshing towel.. Smelled of lavender and it was so nice. We were checked in in minutes and on our way. One of my favorite part of this resort is how lush it is.. all the vegetation was breathtaking. The paths to the rooms can get confusing, but we found our way on the first day. I really liked the layout.. most large new resorts in Cuba or Mexico are narrow and some rooms are far from the beach.. this resort is long and spans the beach and really only 3 buildings deep.

We were in one of the atrium suites right in the middle of the resort. If you can see a resort map, we were in building 27. Not even 2 minutes to the beach and right smack dab in the middle of the resort.. equal distance between the two restaurants and pools. We had a small ocean view and it was so great!!

The Atrium suites are great!! They are large and clean and quiet. No tv for you enthusiasts, if that is your thing when you are on vacation. Not us. The rooms have wood slats all round the room... one wall has glass behind them, and the others have screens. When you close the slats the AC works fine. There is a ton of privacy. And the balcony is great. My husband napped in the hammock daily! And travelers will appreciate this, lots of shelves in the closet, hangers available too, plenty of storage space. The showers were always hot, and clean, lots and lots of towels.

The beach is A-MA-ZING!!! Best I have ever seen!! Nice calm clear water. Your chair cushion doubles as a floaty, that was nice!! And the flag service is one of a kind. They come around 10:30 in the morning and bring you your flag and any time after 11, just stick it in the ground and around they come. Ah, and Jimmy Buffet fans.. Margaritaville is only a 10 minute walk down the beach to the left. And security is good.. be sure to check out on the way out and way back in.

I mentioned this in my last resort review so I feel I should mention it in this one.. the last place we had the typical resort drink.. to much rum, sugary mix.. not great. Not Couples. these are top quality drinks!! Real fruit mix, no pre-blended sugar slush. Top quality alcohol.. nice touch Couples. If you are at the pool bar, ask Romaine for a Jamaican Brownie or a Romaine Lettuce!!

And the fooooood!!! Ya Mon!! It was so good.. and so many choices!! The only thing I repeated were the omellettes in the morning. You have two main restaurants, the Palms and the Patois. The Palms has buffet breakfast and lunch and suppers.. some nights it has a la carte suppers. We tried all three meals there and they were all amazing!! We did two suppers at the Patois which is a la carte. They were superb. We didn't get a chance to try it for lunch or breakfast.

We did Lemongrass one evening and we really enjoyed it. My husband has never been a fan of Thai food, and I think this one converted him. He really enjoyed it. We also did Feathers. We went near the end of our trip.. which kinda sucked, because we would have went more than once had we had the chance. Very very good! I hear people complain about the temperature, we found it fine. The atmosphere is not the dark candlelit ambiance one would expect, but still very very nice.

So what have I missed.. the beach.. got it, the food..got it, the rooms... got it, the pools.. cool and refreshing... the bars... got it.. Ah night life!! Right.. it is not a rockin party whoo hoo kinda place!! There are bands and entertainment in the Palms every evening until about 10:00-10:30. My husband and I dance and we had a really fun evening one time. And then there is the Steel Drum band. You have got to check them out.. such talent!! It will not disappoint!! We saw Ultimate Chocolate and played name that tune. And all the stars were aligned that night and the night club really rocked that nice.. dancing and partying until 2:00 in the morning!! And don't forget the bonfire on the beach.. wow so much to do!!

Only one blip in the radar.. I got bit by something on my legs. I am pretty used to mosquito bites as I am mosquito bait!! They LOVE me!! but this was something different.. it kept swelling for a couple of days and no matter what the itch would not stop. So a quick trip to the nurses station. The DR. came and he was great. He identified it as sand fly bites.. some people can get bit and have nothing, others get bit and they react like I do. So Dr. Foster gave me a quick shot, a couple of prescriptions and I was on my way. So while not a fun moment.. a painless one.. well if you don't count the shot.

This was a romantic, fun, clean, exciting, delicious vacation for us!! We will definitely be back..

If you have any questions.. please please please feel free to write me. I love to travel, and I love to talk about travel too.

Trust your instincts.. go to Couples!!!

Room Tip: Atrium suites are the way to go!!!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
19 Thank CrzyEights
Waterbury, Connecticut
Reviewed May 17, 2011

After reading all of the other reviews I did find some helpful. I hope you find this one helpful as well. It's long, but it will detail it all out. =) Once arriving to the MBJ Airport, you find the Couples Kiosk. They ask you to just leave your luggage in the hall way and they mark and stack them. We were worried that they were going to loose our luggage so we kinda stood around our bags. What seemed to be a very nice gentlemen will cart the bags out and THROW, yes I said throw into the back of the shuttle. So if you have something breakable keep it on you. Then he will ask you for money and tell you he doesn't work for the resort. Just ignore him. He's not even the driver of the shuttle. The shuttle ride was fine. The roads are narrow and people will pass in odd places, but I felt safe to and from. He will make a pit stop about 1/2 way there, it's all a gimmick but at least you can go to the restroom if needed. Beer and Soda were very overpriced at this market. Once you get to the resort you are greeted with fresh wet menthol towels that you can refresh with. Your also served a glass of campaign to toast the new arrivals. The check in process is pretty quick, once you get your room number they will bring you and your luggage to your room. If you are booking with a third party company such as Orbit or Expedia then the process is a little longer. Recommend booking right through the Couples Resort Office. Do go on the orientation tour, that will help! Our room which was a Garden Verandah Suite in the 31 section was nice but a little dated. You could hear the traffic, so if your not used to listening to cars then that block isn't the section you want to be in. It was fine for us, never prevented us from sleeping. The air conditioning was the BEST! Nice and cool! The housekeeping is very slow. We put out the sign to have the room cleaned now and it still took until late afternoon. We did tip the cleaning staff but they really don't want you to. After a couple days of tips they cleaned our room first. The food was really good!!! We enjoyed the breakfast buffet every AM! Nicholas the Omelet man was the best! We also enjoyed the early AM delivery of coffee and other little snacks right to your patio. You can sit and enjoy the peaceful beautiful life of Jamaica. We ate at all the restaurants and enjoyed everything. Staff is AMAZING! So nice, fun and respectful to everyone!!! Sitting on the beach was really nice. The beach bars are great! The pool bar, is where we spent most of our time. They are a little slow but it was worth the wait. TIP: If you plan on drinking Miller Light, stock up on it early and store it in your fridge. They only put out so many in a day and they run out around 1ish everyday. There is a debate going on between my husband and the friends we traveled with. We think that some of the liquor may be watered down and some isn’t. We drank ALL DAY and ½ the night, and you would have thought we would have been passed out drunk, but we weren’t. We did eat a lot more throughout the day. When you taste most of your drinks they certainly didn’t taste watered down. So we aren’t sure?! You will get bothered by peddlers. If you sit back on the beach they aren't aloud to walk up to you. We got offered everything but crack, sex & heroin, if you are looking for a little ganja then it’s very easy to get. Each seat comes with a floaty to use which is really nice. There are little huts on the beach, but unless you get up before sunrise to place a towel down they are taken. If you do set your stuff down no one will touch it. I don’t recommend you leaving your kindle or iPod out in the open but having your towel and beach bag on the chair and no one will touch it. There are cameras and guards all over the place so you feel very safe! Night life is excellent as well, you have choices of what you want to do and the staff makes sure you have a great time. You will get two beach towels in your room, whether you use them our not, you need to turn them in to the towel huts on either end of the resort, or else you get charged. That kinda stunk! The gift shop is nice, if you forgot anything they will have it. A few things are very pricy but most of it was reasonable. Wed is vendor day at the resort; I recommend you check it out. They aren’t over priced on most items, but you can haggle with them. They have some beautiful paintings and carvings! I think I hit all the points of the resort! Over all, this was THE BEST vacation EVER. I do recommend this place to everyone. We plan on going back next year around this time again.

6 Thank kcmartin76
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed May 15, 2011

wonderful beach/water calm and warm, plenty of room. The staff and service friendly, warm and very accomminating.Plenty to do or not do. Brillant sunset Already planning return

Room Tip: building 42 right in the middle/oceanfront
5 Thank BigAl0431
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed May 15, 2011

Arrival:
This is our 2nd trip to CSA, the previous one was 3 years ago when we got married there. We arrived on a Monday with our flight landing about 1pm in Montego Bay. We encountered very short lines in Customs/Immigration and we were at the Couples lounge within 30 – 45 minutes of landing. When we arrived we were greeted by pair of employees that handled everything for us while we each grabbed 2 red stripes. The bartender was very friendly and very much like the people we’re used to at the resort. Once we boarded the bus we had a pleasant trip to CSA with one quick stop for someone to use the restroom.

Check-in:
Once we arrived we were greeted with the standard champagne and a cool towel. I completely forgot how beautiful the sound of those bottles popping was. Our room wasn’t ready so we were told to check back in an hour. No problem! So we went to grab a bite to eat and a drink or two and by the time we arrived back, the room was ready. We booked an Atrium, and I was happy to see we received one. (Last time we were upgraded to the Beachfront, but I was excited to try out the Atrium.)

Atrium Room:
It was a nice, simple, clean bottom floor room, just like you see in the pictures on the site, with a big terrace, outdoor sofa and a hammock. We had a partial view of the ocean and a friendly stray cat that hung out on our porch most days. There are slats on both sides of the room, and no glass, so you can hear some outdoor noise, but we were never disturbed by our neighbors. We kept all our belongings in the safe and it’s big enough for an ipad. You set the code for the safe, and I never worried about any of our stuff. The bed is huge and we found it very comfortable. They now have minibars and they will bring you whatever you want for them. They have typical items they stock and then a separate list for anything special. We were very happy with the offerings there. I also noticed a block of rooms in front of ours that were pretty much in line with the beachfront rooms but had atrium verandas. If I’m not mistaken, these were also considered Atriums but they had an open, unobstructed view of the ocean.

Beach:
The beach is gorgeous like always but I believe it was bit narrower than it was 3 years ago. The sand was nice and cool even in the middle of the afternoon and freshly raked every morning. The water was like blue Koolaid and really calm. There was PLENTY of space to spread out and more than enough shade, loungers and floaties. I like sun, my husband prefers shade and we always found a spot where we could be together with no problem. One afternoon a palapa was open so we snagged it. I personally don’t see what all the fuss is about because the beach view is obscured by all the people in front of you the same shade can be found under a tree.

Vendors:
There were the standard beach vendors which were never a problem but we also don’t mind helping the local economy a bit. . Make sure to bring a few bucks with you to the beach. We got a great love song from a guitarist, a magic show (which was strange for the beach, but still very good), and some shells from the shell man. I felt a little haggled by a vendor that was set up on the property selling sandals though. We also bought a beautiful painting by Ray Bell

Staff:
The reason why we decided to keep coming back is the staff. From one of the property to the other, you feel that everyone working there is genuine and has a great heart. Some of our favorites were, Enrico and Richard from water sports, Annette and McNiel from the spa, Dwayne from the lobby, Cardo, Charmane and Carmen with housekeeping and Demar and Jermaine from the bar in Patois. The Sunset bar was our favorite place to hang out though and our absolute favorite people were Robert, Damien, Javane and Clau. We truly loved these guys. They all worked so hard and kept us entertained. Robert and Damien were hilarious. Javane and Clau were a bit more reserved but by the end of the trip we’d have some long chats with them. They’re infectious personalities pretty much made the trip for us and we hope to see them again when we return.

Food/Drinks:
We ate at all restaurants and never had a bad meal. I think our favorite this trip was Lemongrass. Try the duck and the sampler appetizer. We also liked the fish tacos and chips/hummus at Seagrapes, the jerk chicken, fried calamari and conch fritters from the beach grill, the pizzas, salads, soups and marlin dip from Patois. I heard about the lionfish from another post here and so out of curiosity I tried it at Feathers. It’s very mild and takes on the flavor of whatever you season it with, similar to tilapia in a way. Every meal was fantastic. Definitely try some coconut water straight out of a coconut at Seagrapes and every breakfast except for one was at the Palms…it was always fantastic and a great way to start your day. I really found the Palms to be great for any meal. The last time we went, we pretty much just ate breakfast there, but this time we got a chance to eat lunch there and the food
was just as amazing. I already miss my breakfasts of calaloo and fried plantains.

As far as drinks go, the sky’s the limit. They can make anything you want and however much you want. My personal favorites are Snake Eyes when I’m feeling like a frozen drink or a Tanqueray and tonic for those “in-betweens”. Mostly when asked, the husband and I say “make us whatever you want” and you never get a bad one. The martinis at the martini bar were great, but I missed Cardo and Romaine behind the bar 3 years ago.

Repeater’s Dinner:
The repeater’s dinner happened our first night there and we were exhausted. It was probably a bad idea to go because we were so tired and by this time, had probably had one too many dirty bananas. I remember the food was delicious but I honestly couldn’t even tell you what we had. I think we’ll skip it next time, but it did seem as if we would’ve appreciated it a bit more if we weren’t half asleep.

Entertainment:
We didn’t partake in much entertainment because our main goal was to relax, eat and drink all week. From what I did see the staff seems very outgoing and it must be tough for them to gather a group of people from that beach. The one downside of the entire trip was the volume level of the Friday night entertainment at the Palms. I don’t know what was happening but it went on till 1:30am and it kept us from getting to sleep. We were located in the middle of the resort, so I wonder what the rooms next to the Palms were experiencing. This actually happened 2 nights in a row, but Friday’s went much later. I called the front desk because it seemed out of the ordinary for what should be a romantic, couples resort. They were polite on the phone, but of course the entertainment went on. I wouldn’t think they would shut down activities because of one gripe, but I was curious as to why such loud late-night bass-thumping entertainment is even scheduled till 1am? I’m talking big loud bass for hours. I noted it on our checkout survey and I really hope that this can change.

Water Sports:
We decided from our last trip to devote more time to relaxing but we really enjoyed snorkeling and the catamaran so we did both of those 2 times during our trip. We also did some night snorkeling which was definitely worth the $35 a person and a great experience, but after doing it once I think we’ll pass on doing it again. When coming in to shore, the view of the Negril lights is breathtaking. If you’re prone to sea sickness, take a Dramamine. I felt very sea sick towards the end and another person actually GOT sick over the boat, which was hilarious because he was such a champ about it. FYI, the cost of the night snorkel isn’t covered by any resort credits you might have.

Our trip was so amazing that we’re going to try and go back for a 3rd time a year from now. We’re finding every time we go, we know just a little more than last time which makes for even greater anticipation and a much more relaxing trip. We’re so blessed to have had the opportunity to visit such a spectacular place.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NashTrav_1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Sandy Haven Resort
Hedonism II
#17 of 81 in Negril
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!